PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Crazies (Past and Present)

Jumbo
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
That wise sage MulletMan likes to say that each generation of Crazies needs to make Cameron its own. I agree whole-heartedly.

That said, (and I apologize for violating any part of Throaty's Handy Pocket Guide (http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf)) there comes a time to step up your game. And that time is Wednesday night.

Be original. You guys have your routines. The normal cadences. The go-to chants. The thing with the baby. Time to come up with something new. Or many new things. And that process is often aided by remembering what is now old. Some of our long-time members have great stories to share, and hopefully they'll do so here. Collaboration across generations is a wonderful thing.

Be clever. Learn everything you can about Carolina. Scout them. Know their weaknesses. Hansbrough walks, right? Maybe you can find a way to keep that in the officials' minds all game, and maybe that goes beyond simply chanting "Hansbrough travels" (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap). Find every (acceptable) way to shock UNC, to get in their heads, to give Duke an advantage.

Be spontaneous. Pay attention to the game, not just the event. Recognize who needs help out on the floor, who needs to be shut down and what's worthy of comment. And make those comments something more inventive than "Boo," or repeating a player's name, or adding the word "sucks" after that name.

Most importantly, be LOUD.

A building can win a game. It just needs your help.

Do your thing. Make your mark. Show the college basketball world why the Crazies earned -- and still deserve -- their reputation as the loudest, wildest, wittiest, most informed and best crowd in the country.

Ex-Crazies, please join in with your memories/ideas. Current Crazies, go out and top them.

godukecom
02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I like "Tyler Hansbrough, playing in the key, W-A-L-K-I-N-G" repeated ad nauseum

just an idea

BlueintheFace
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I think every time Tyler touches the ball, all of the Crazies should make the traveling motion with their hands and scream for a travel regardless. EVERY TIME! I'm sure Mickie would join in.

loran16
02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I think every time Tyler touches the ball, all of the Crazies should make the traveling motion with their hands and scream for a travel regardless. EVERY TIME! I'm sure Mickie would join in.

err, we already do....the current chant is (First section of cameron (Grad perhaps)): TYLER TRAVELS (Student Section): EVERY TIME!
*Repeat ad nauseum.

Jumbo
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
err, we already do....the current chant is (First section of cameron (Grad perhaps)): TYLER TRAVELS (Student Section): EVERY TIME!
*Repeat ad nauseum.

That's good. Now aim for better!

BlueintheFace
02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Other ideas...

1) "GOOD Tie (thumbs up for tie ball)... BAD Ty (point at lawson)"

2) "Lil' Wayne (Point at Ellington during warmups) ... Big G (point at henderson)"

3) Let's see some Kermit the Frog puppets/posters with signs that say "It's not easy being green" or "NBA scouts will tell you, It's not easy being green"

4) Will Graves, meet Mr. Textbook ... Mr. Textbook, Will Graves.

5) If Jay Williams is at the game (i bet he will be) "Good Williams (point at Jay)... Bad Williams (point at roy)"

or... "Good Williams (point at E-will)... Bad Williams (point at Roy)"

6) "Hansbrough, how do you know what Bobby does in the Shower?" ... or other signs related to his freestyle rap.

7) "Athlete's foot= Redshirt at Carolina (see- Ginyard, Marcus)"

bulldog44
02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Walker Tyler Ranger

There's no place like home. Referring to Kansas for Roy.

When Tyler touches the ball One Step Two Step Three Step Score

duketaylor
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Walk, Walk, Jay Hawk!!!? Some of the new with some of the old. Just have to do it in proper cadence, which is a long Waaaaalk, Waaaaaalk, Jaaaaaay, Haaaaaawk! Crazies need to listen to it first and get it down properly to work.

From the creator of "Sweat, Gary, Sweat!!"
9F9F9F!!!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!

summerwind03
02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Anyone remember -- "Watch Warren Walk"?!?

DU82
02-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Walker Tyler Ranger

There's no place like home. Referring to Kansas for Roy.

When Tyler touches the ball One Step Two Step Three Step Score

Don't say "Score" that'll only seem like you're encouraging him! Put in "more" or something else.

A comment on this thread. For the Carolina game, it's not normally about the clever sayings (during the game) it's all about volume. NEver, ever let up.

To the students, please don't forget about getting the upstairs involved, and in more ways that chanting "stand up". Keep the simple cheers like "Let's Go Duke" at a reasonable cadence so that those upstairs and keep up. And if the Devil is reading, come on up during play to lead cheers. And please, don't let the loudest cheer of the night be for somebody not on the court like it has been for a couple of games this year (ie, the cheer at the 3rd media timeout of the first half. If you skipped this cheer, the universe and the team would survive.)

Jumbo
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Other ideas...

1) "GOOD Tie (thumbs up for tie ball)... BAD Ty (point at lawson)"

2) "Lil' Wayne (Point at Ellington during warmups) ... Big G (point at henderson)"

3) Let's see some Kermit the Frog puppets/posters with signs that say "It's not easy being green" or "NBA scouts will tell you, It's not easy being green"

4) Will Graves, meet Mr. Textbook ... Mr. Textbook, Will Graves.

5) If Jay Williams is at the game (i bet he will be) "Good Williams (point at Jay)... Bad Williams (point at roy)"

or... "Good Williams (point at E-will)... Bad Williams (point at Roy)"

6) "Hansbrough, how do you know what Bobby does in the Shower?" ... or other signs related to his freestyle rap.

7) "Athlete's foot= Redshirt at Carolina (see- Ginyard, Marcus)"

I'm not sure about some of these (although some could work as signs more than chants). But the Green thing reminded me of something -- it's always fun to mess with players about their future prospects. I would LOVE to see a full-size cutout of Hansbrough ... in say, a Real Madrid or a CSKA Moscow jersey. Or maybe even the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Might as well remind him where his future lies.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Walk, Walk, Jay Hawk!!!? Some of the new with some of the old. Just have to do it in proper cadence, which is a long Waaaaalk, Waaaaaalk, Jaaaaaay, Haaaaaawk! Crazies need to listen to it first and get it down properly to work.

9F9F9F!!!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!
I like that one, especially if the cadence mimics the cadence of some of the Carolina cheers... think about the cadence when they spell out Carolina.

Some of the best humor from the Crazies in the past included the "reenactments" which used to take place before some of the games..... the guy who would impersonate Norm Sloan's wife and the way she used to sing the National Anthem at State. Or all the Crazies with bald domes on to look like Lefty Drisell. Or the posters of Lefty's face with a gas gauge on the forehead reading on E.

If you're going to do something with walking or traveling, incorporate elements clearly mimicing Bobby Knight's video.

Bobby Knight has said Duke has the best offensive spacing and used it as a model for others. Can you use that in a clever way?

Speaking of "reenactments," how about a group mimicing Carolina on the court, demonstrating the five steps before Tyler shoots.... or other patterns you've noticed when Carolina plays..... like Danny Green's dancing.

Rewrite the words to the Carolina fight song so that they praise Duke.

devildeac
02-09-2009, 11:01 PM
*Repeat ad nauseum.

I think I have also heard this one:

Tyler shuffles his feet: clap/clap

BlueintheFace
02-09-2009, 11:02 PM
VERY IMPORTANT! Keep the volume up Especially through 30 second timeouts taken by Roy when we start to go on a run. He rarely takes timeouts to stop the bleeding except at Cameron... Don't let up during these timeouts!!!

I'll be there helping out!!

Jumbo
02-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Rewrite the words to the Carolina fight song so that they praise Duke.

Now that is clever. Probably too much work for them to organize in less than 48 hours, but really clever.

Jumbo
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM

9F9F9F!!!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!

Well, except that he's not a Jayhawk. And Roy left Kansas a while ago. On the other hand, they did get embarrassed by Kansas in the FF.

The other thing to exploit is UNC's fragile chemistry. These are guys who care deeply about their touches, and they certainly all don't get along. Might want to find a way to point that out.

BlueintheFace
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure about some of these (although some could work as signs more than chants). But the Green thing reminded me of something -- it's always fun to mess with players about their future prospects. I would LOVE to see a full-size cutout of Hansbrough ... in say, a Real Madrid or a CSKA Moscow jersey. Or maybe even the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Might as well remind him where his future lies.

yah, most of them are meant to be signs...

I like the Ginyard one and Green one the most

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Now that is clever. Probably too much work for them to organize in less than 48 hours, but really clever.
Thank you kind, sir. It's amazing what you can do with a Duke education.

nyr484
02-09-2009, 11:11 PM

9F9F9F!!!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!

Don't get me wrong... the Kansas-themed cheers were great in 2004. Replacing the unc starting 5 with the Kansas starting 5 in the "Hi ____" player introductions was awesome. Rock chalk jayhawk was funny. And the There's no place like home was classic. I distinctly remember being very happy when Roy Williams flipped off the student section and then came out for the 2nd half with a big piece of duct tape that he put over the "DUKE" on his chair. (A tradition which he still continues I believe). Obviously we touched a nerve back then. But don't you think it's a little too far removed at this point?

I tend to agree with the above poster... just be crazy loud the entire time.

I also really like the idea of the entire student section rolling their arms to signal a "travel" every time Hansbrough touches it. If everyone kept that up for a while, that would be great. I think visually it would be awesome, and I think it would be even more effective than a verbal chant. Maybe add in the "wooo wooo" thing that the grad students do with the arm rolling during some free throws. That's definitely never been done during play, or if it has, it's never been done effectively enough to be noticed.

GP3NY
02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I think all the suggestions are funny and could be great... wouldnt it be awesome to do things for our own team to keep the intensity up the entire game. Like wouldn't it be amazing if the cheerleaders or band members ran out onto the court and did a few floor slaps!? Or imitated danny green dancing right at center court! Maybe that instead of that boring new cheer the cheerleaders do during tv timeouts!

Also, I hope the devil takes the muppet out on the surf board!

ArkieDukie
02-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Several people have pointed out that Hansblahblah bears a striking resemblance to Beaker (of Muppet Show fame). Maybe someone should dress up as Beaker, but with a Hansblahblah jersey on? Someone did something similar to Eric Monstrous for the unc-Duke game in 1992 - they basically dressed up as Frankenstein (green face paint, fake bolts sticking out the side of the neck, baby blue t-shirt with "00" on it). He paced back and forth underneath the basket during pre-game warmups. It was frakkin' hilarious. Especially since the band played The Munsters Theme (I think), and the students kept humming the opening bars of the Addams Family Theme.

nyr484
02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Several people have pointed out that Hansblahblah bears a striking resemblance to Beaker (of Muppet Show fame). Maybe someone should dress up as Beaker, but with a Hansblahblah jersey on? Someone did something similar to Eric Monstrous for the unc-Duke game in 1992 - they basically dressed up as Frankenstein (green face paint, fake bolts sticking out the side of the neck, baby blue t-shirt with "00" on it). He paced back and forth underneath the basket during pre-game warmups. It was frakkin' hilarious. Especially since the band played The Munsters Theme (I think), and the students kept humming the opening bars of the Addams Family Theme.

hehe... http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/03/beeker.jpg

ArkieDukie
02-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Thank you kind, sir. It's amazing what you can do with a Duke education.

Or maybe not. I googled the carowhinna fight song lyrics to confirm that they're as insipid as I thought. As I remembered, the chorus is "I'm a tarheel born, I'm a tarheel bred, and when I die I'll be a tarheel dead." That shouldn't be difficult to rewrite. Bet there are people around here who can do it quite quickly. Go, Crazies, go!

(Meant to respond to the comment that this would take a while to do...)

Jumbo
02-09-2009, 11:36 PM

This must be done.

ArkieDukie
02-09-2009, 11:42 PM
This must be done.

Glad you like the idea! The Monstrous thing was a theme for the entire game. The students hummed the Addams Family Theme every time he went in or out of the game, and Monstrous even had his own special free throw routine. The entire crowd would do the monster walk in place (stiff-legged rock with arms straight out in front), while doing the usual "aaaahhhh" sound in monster voice as well. Quick, research the Muppet Show!

Jumbo
02-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Glad you like the idea! The Monstrous thing was a theme for the entire game. The students hummed the Addams Family Theme every time he went in or out of the game, and Monstrous even had his own special free throw routine. The entire crowd would do the monster walk in place (stiff-legged rock with arms straight out in front), while doing the usual "aaaahhhh" sound in monster voice as well. Quick, research the Muppet Show!

Yeah, I remember that well. Questions are:
A) Are the Crazies even going to see this?
B) How are you going to make a Beaker constume
C) Is anyone actually old-school enough to be willing to dress up like that?

(Yeah, the last one was a direct challenge. The gauntlet has been thrown down, people.)

WojoSay?
02-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Don't get me wrong... the Kansas-themed cheers were great in 2004. Replacing the unc starting 5 with the Kansas starting 5 in the "Hi ____" player introductions was awesome. Rock chalk jayhawk was funny. And the There's no place like home was classic. I distinctly remember being very happy when Roy Williams flipped off the student section and then came out for the 2nd half with a big piece of duct tape that he put over the "DUKE" on his chair. (A tradition which he still continues I believe). Obviously we touched a nerve back then. But don't you think it's a little too far removed at this point?.

This story brought a smile to my face. Thank you for sharing.

I do like the Walk, Walk, Jayhawk...but a FF appearance is better than a second rd. exit so it may not be an effective jab. If they lost in the second rd. last year to Kansas and Roy stayed with a KU sticker, while we made to the FF then it would be an effective jab. Just saying.

Knight indicates that the travel rule should be removed from the rule book since refs don't call it. So chant "Rule 4: Section 66" while signaling the travel with your arms.

The UNC team dynamics angle could be clever, since it is obvious that Ellington, Lawson, and Green are auditioning for the NBA this year. It would have to be annoying to watch Hans put up an off balanced shot after violating rule 4, section 66 w/o looking to pass out of the double team.

Ders24
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I remember that well. Questions are:
A) Are the Crazies even going to see this?
B) How are you going to make a Beaker constume
C) Is anyone actually old-school enough to be willing to dress up like that?

(Yeah, the last one was a direct challenge. The gauntlet has been thrown down, people.)

Accepted.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 12:06 AM

I do like the Walk, Walk, Jayhawk...but a FF appearance is better than a second rd. exit so it may not be an effective jab. If they lost in the second rd. last year to Kansas and Roy stayed with a KU sticker, while we made to the FF then it would be an effective jab. Just saying.

Knight indicates that the travel rule should be removed from the rule book since refs don't call it. So chant "Rule 4: Section 66" while signaling the travel with your arms.

The UNC team dynamics angle could be clever, since it is obvious that Ellington, Lawson, and Green are auditioning for the NBA this year. It would have to be annoying to watch Hans put up an off balanced shot after violating rule 4, section 66 w/o looking to pass out of the double team.
Imagine this reference to the travel rule if a couple of folks hold up a large banner which says "Rule 4: Section 66" while everyone chants it. This citation of the rule would be great for the Blue Devil's taped message on his forehead.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 12:08 AM
For pregame entertainment, someone coming out on the court dressed as Danny Green to "reenact" his dancing routine?

WojoSay?
02-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Imagine this reference to the travel rule if a couple of folks hold up a large banner which says "Rule 4: Section 66" while everyone chants it. This citation of the rule would be great for the Blue Devil's taped message on his forehead.

For the sign:

"Rule 4, Section 66: Travel-see Tyler Hansbrough"

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 12:24 AM
For the sign:

With a leader calling out the letters in a call and response cheer, we could spell:
Give me a T: T
Give me an R: R
Give me an A: A
Give me a V: V
Give me an E: E
Give me an L: L
What have you got? Travel!

ArkieDukie
For pregame entertainment, someone coming out on the court dressed as Danny Green to "reenact" his dancing routine?

I like that idea. Maybe there could be a group of them? The Dancing Dannies?

bulldog44
When a Tarhole is born
There is space in the head
Later filled with feces,
Asbestos and lead
So screw screw Carolina , lina
Screw screw Carolina, lina
GO TO HELL TARHEELS!!!!!!!!

kaplomp
02-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Beeker actually (sort of) showed up at last year's Carolina game. ;)

ArkieDukie
02-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Beeker actually (sort of) showed up at last year's Carolina game. ;)

Nice!

ArkieDukie
02-10-2009, 12:35 AM
When a Tarhole is born
There is space in the head
Later filled with feces,
Asbestos and lead
So screw screw Carolina , lina
GO TO HELL TARHEELS!!!!!!!!

That is one option. Remember, though, that the suggestion was to turn it into a pro-Duke song.

DukieInKansas
02-10-2009, 12:43 AM
With a leader calling out the letters in a call and response cheer, we could spell:
Give me a T: T
Give me an R: R
Give me an A: A
Give me a V: V
Give me an E: E
Give me an L: L

I believe the proper response to What have you got? is Tyler. :D

DukieInKansas
02-10-2009, 12:45 AM
If you want to play on the team chemistry issue, when you notice that someone hasn't touched the ball in a while you could call for them to get more touches. "Green needs more touches" and then when he turns the ball over - "Maybe not"

ricks68
02-10-2009, 01:49 AM
How about a stuffed Beaker with that ugly shade of blue for hair that continuously keeps "jumping" from the seats above down to the student section into a mock tank of jello.

ricks

ricks68
02-10-2009, 01:58 AM
How about the band chiming in with "I'm Walkin'" by Fats Domino (later by Ricky Nelson) when Hans travels. Or, maybe just sometimes, as they probably would have no other time to play anything else, otherwise.

Or, maybe, change the words to "Walkin' to New Orleans" to "Walkin' to the basket" as the band plays that one.

There are a number of other songs with discernable lyrics pertaining to walking that the Crazies and/or the band might bae able to work into a routine.

Maybe the band could play one while the stuffed Beaker "jumps" down to the students section.

ricks

zingit
02-10-2009, 02:55 AM
How about the band chiming in with "I'm Walkin'" by Fats Domino (later by Ricky Nelson) when Hans travels. Or, maybe just sometimes, as they probably would have no other time to play anything else, otherwise.

Or, maybe, change the words to "Walkin' to New Orleans" to "Walkin' to the basket" as the band plays that one.

There are a number of other songs with discernable lyrics pertaining to walking that the Crazies and/or the band might bae able to work into a routine.

Maybe the band could play one while the stuffed Beaker "jumps" down to the students section.

ricks

"He do the walk. He do the walk of life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHlWnovnr4)." :cool:

zingit
02-10-2009, 03:05 AM
For the sign:

Someone held up a sign pretty similar to this last year, except it just said "Rule 4, Section 66," with no explanation, so I'm not sure if people picked up on it.

Oh, and up-thread someone mentioned a "Good Williams, Bad Williams" chant or sign. Someone played on this idea my sophomore year, after Shelden's jersey was retired. It showed our rafters, and all in a row were Jason Williams' jersey, Shelden Williams' jersey, and a noose designated for Roy Williams. Ha.

Geez, guys, we did the travel rule sign, we kinda sorta did a Williams sign, we did the Beaker thing--for all this talk about how we need to step it up, we're actually 10 steps ahead of you! :D (Joking--we could still be better, and I love hearing all the suggestions.)

devil84
02-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Ex-Crazies, please join in with your memories/ideas. Current Crazies, go out and top them.

One of my favorite Duke-UNC memories comes from pregame warmups. The teams were in their layup lines. Dean Smith had just taken his place in front of the bench and was watching his team.

From the rafters, a long paper banner unfurled right in front of the esteemed Mr. Smith's seat. The 3 or 4 foot wide banner stretched from the rafters to about 8' from the floor (so as not to hit anyone standing along the sidelines, where Duke managers, officials, and others in addition to opponents could be standing), which left plenty of room for it's message:

Go to Hell, Carolina!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Someone held up a sign pretty similar to this last year, except it just said "Rule 4, Section 66," with no explanation, so I'm not sure if people picked up on it.

Oh, and up-thread someone mentioned a "Good Williams, Bad Williams" chant or sign. Someone played on this idea my sophomore year, after Shelden's jersey was retired. It showed our rafters, and all in a row were Jason Williams' jersey, Shelden Williams' jersey, and a noose designated for Roy Williams. Ha.

Geez, guys, we did the travel rule sign, we kinda sorta did a Williams sign, we did the Beaker thing--for all this talk about how we need to step it up, we're actually 10 steps ahead of you! :D (Joking--we could still be better, and I love hearing all the suggestions.)
That was before Bobby Knight's video segment on traveling.

Highlander
02-10-2009, 09:25 AM

I would be disappointed if at least one Crazy didn't show up with a black turtleneck and Kansas Jayhawk sticker on. Maybe with a Huckleberry Hound head as well. Now THAT would be funny!

What about a picture of Danny Green with the logo from the show "So you think you can dance?", and on the back, a note "News Flash. You can't."

"JJ's Better" should make an appearance...

I could print the band's words to the Carolina fight song here, but that would probably get me banned.

What about making fun of Tyler's age. He's 23

InaudibleWords
02-10-2009, 09:26 AM
One thing I have noticed lately (I went to the game on Saturday) that was mentioned at the start of this thread was the growing trend of booing the refs or plays and a few people shouting "sucks" after we all greet the players to Cameron.

I am 100% against booing in Cameron. In fact, as an undergrad Coach K told us explicitly multiple times that we were to be sportsmanlike and not engulf Cameron in a surround sound of boos. Of course, this doesn't mean we always agreed with calls. I distinctly remember the entire student section (and if I'm not mistaken, some of the upper section) chanting "No! No! No! No!" which is just as effective. Another personal favorite of mine lends itself more to a sign or one or two people shouting -- I had a friend who used to yell out "Erroneous! Erroneous on ALL ACCOUNTS!" It's always a blast when you can use that Duke education to disagree with calls in creative ways.

And I'm not a fan of the "sucks" thing either. I always liked that we were classy enough to welcome away teams to Cameron... only to demolish them on the court!

As for the Muppet Show, I LOVE the idea of integrating it beyond just calling Tyler, Beaker. What about two grumpy old guys talking about how much the other team blows? (Past tense is Carolina blue!)

It's time to play the fight song
It's time to shoot lights-out
It's time to beat Carolina at Cameron Indoor tonight!

It's time to be a Crazie
It's time to dress up right
It's time to beat Carolina at Cameron Indoor tonight!
It's time to get things started
At the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Krzyzewskitational!
This is what we call the Blue Devil show!

Now... how about using "Walking in Memphis?"

Tyler's walking in Cameron
Walking with his feet ten feet off the floor
Tyler's walking in Cameron
And his lack of game is such a bore

BlueintheFace
02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I'll never forget this sign from two or three years ago. It is one of the few times Roy has reacted to the crazies. The first time, of course, was his first time in Cameron.

When he saw this sign, I remember him doing a double take, cracking up, and pulling his assistants over to look too. Soon, the entire staff was laughing. Now, that sign right there is clever AND brutal.

pamtar
02-10-2009, 09:34 AM
It wouldn't get Roy's blood boiling or anything, but has "9F" ever appeared on the chests of a row of rowdy dudes at a game?

It is possible that this discreet mark of the anti-lamb could become a nuisance to the research challenged holes fans.

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 09:44 AM
It wouldn't get Roy's blood boiling or anything, but has "9F" ever appeared on the chests of a row of rowdy dudes at a game?

It is possible that this discreet mark of the anti-lamb could become a nuisance to the research challenged holes fans.

I think the point is to get inside the other team's heads, not share an inside joke.

Another approach to consider. When Carolina is at the line, everyone shuts up. Except for one student. He/She then engages the shooter in a conversation. And, because it's quiet, it's impossible to tune said fan out. Example:
"Hey Tyler, it's me, Jumbo. Heard you're a big fan of pedicures. What do you say we get out of here, go jump off a roof into a pool and the polish our toenails together. What's that? You're too busy preparing for your NBDL career? Gotcha. Don't worry, they don't call travels down there. So take as many steps as you want ..."

You get the idea. I'm sure you Crazy students could come up with something even more clever, but the key is absolutely silence and that one, brave voice. I guarantee this will work. Who's ready to step up?
(Another challenge has been issued ...)

blazindw
02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Alright, here's some ideas that I had. Of course, the Crazies don't have to use all of them or any of them, but here they are regardless:

Nolan’s Rollin
To the tune of Limp Bizkit’s “Rollin”
“Nolan’s rollin, rollin, rollin (What!)
Nolan’s rollin, rollin, rollin (What!)”

Greg Paulus
To the tune of Naughty By Nature’s “OPP”
“Grads: You down with GP3?
U-Grads: Yeah, you know me!
Grads: You down with GP3?
Grads: Who’s down with GP3?
U-Grads: Everybody!”

Gerald Henderson
To the tune of Snoop Dogg’s “Snoop’s Upside Ya Head”
“G’s, up-side ya head,
Said G’s upside ya head (Say what)
G’s, up-side ya head,
Said G’s upside ya head”

From the new Gatorade Commercial
“What’s G?” (Point at G) “That’s G!”

Jon Scheyer
Grads: Scheyer!
U-Grads: On Fire!

Brian Zoubek
(Form a Z with your hands)
“ZZZZZZZZZZZ!”
“Zoooooooub!” (and do the Soulja Boy)

Dave McClure
Point at McClure with one hand, raise the other: “McClure!”
Point at UNC bench with one hand, lower the other: “Unsure!”

“Big Mac Attack! Big Mac Attack!”

Lance Thomas
“LT’s nasty!” (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap)

After any alley oop or a dunk:
“BOOM! ROASTED!”

After a succession of good play:
To the tune of Jim Jones’ “We Fly High”
“We fly high, no lie, you know this (BALLIN!)

Against UNC

Tyler Hansbrough
Do the travel motions and just chant “Walk! Walk!” whenever he touches the ball
If a foul or travel is called on him, go “Ooooooh!”, and put your hand on your forehead like you are fainting

Point at JJ’s retired banner: “JJ’s Better!”

Point at G: “NBA!” Point at Hansbrough: “CBA!”

Danny Green
“You Can’t Dance! You Can’t Dance!”
Or, even better, during warm-ups…
“You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out,
You put your left foot in, and you shake it all about,
You do the Danny Green and you totally spaz out (Spaz out at this point)
That’s what it’s all about (Clap like you would in the hokey pokey)

Roy Williams
“Where’s your sticker!” (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap)
(If he puts the duct tape over the “Duke” printed on his chair) “Fix your chair! Fix your chair!”

During introductions:
Instead of “Hi ______”, we can do the “Hey DUMMY!” from the Careerbuilder commercial. But we don’t have to do this one.

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Those are really good. A few minor edits:

Jon Scheyer
Grads: Scheyer!
U-Grads: On Fire!
Add "Jon" so it's the right number of beats. Plus, the entire thing rhymes, then.

Lance Thomas
“LT’s nasty!” (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap)

After any alley oop or a dunk:
“BOOM! ROASTED!”

I don't really get these.

bigj4194
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't really get these.

the second one is from the episode of the office after the superbowl when michael roasts everyone...BOOM ROASTED!

EDIT: Forgot to add perhaps the most important thing that I was going to write

GTHC!!!!!!! 9F9F9F9F9F9F9F

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Accepted.

Awesome. And will someone be joining him as his good friend, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew (http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/images/DrBunsenHoneydew.jpg)?

allenmurray
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM

I've always though that having our band (pep band at basketball games, Marching band at football games) play the other team's fight song or alma Mater would be great. But, play it horribly. Way out of tune. Play it so badly that it is almost unrecognizeable. And then bow, as though it was intended as a tribute.

DukieInKansas
02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Since Roy has a habit of covering the Duke on his chair, could someone pre-tape it with another name? Perhaps "Not UNC" or "Roy's Chair" or something much more clever.

And a request from someone who will be watching on TV - please report back after the game on some of the clever things that have been done. We can't always hear the chants clearly enough to understand on TV and they don't always show the signs.

Thank you.

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 10:21 AM
the second one is from the episode of the office after the superbowl when michael roasts everyone...BOOM ROASTED!

Ah, duh. I thought it was supposed to relate to a specific player, for some reason. "Stanley, you crush your wife during sex and your heart sucks. Boom, roasted."

bigj4194
02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Since Roy has a habit of covering the Duke on his chair, could someone pre-tape it with another name? Perhaps "Not UNC" or "Roy's Chair" or something much more clever.

And a request from someone who will be watching on TV - please report back after the game on some of the clever things that have been done. We can't always hear the chants clearly enough to understand on TV and they don't always show the signs.

Thank you.

I was thinking about taping a jayhawk logo on his seat. thoughts?

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM

Do it.

shotrocksplitter
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
For those of you who will be joining the madness some 34.5 hours from now, a cheer is being dusted off to welcome those who are headed to their doom. It's a cheer that predates kville and sounds like rock chalk jayhawk.

The section slowly rocks back and forth, then chants in very low voices, slowly, but with rhythm, "We're going to get you" then point...and just keep repeating.

And so the blue devils act out the part of Satan's warnings.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
One thing I have noticed lately (I went to the game on Saturday) that was mentioned at the start of this thread was the growing trend of booing the refs or plays and a few people shouting "sucks" after we all greet the players to Cameron.

I am 100% against booing in Cameron. In fact, as an undergrad Coach K told us explicitly multiple times that we were to be sportsmanlike and not engulf Cameron in a surround sound of boos. Of course, this doesn't mean we always agreed with calls. I distinctly remember the entire student section (and if I'm not mistaken, some of the upper section) chanting "No! No! No! No!" which is just as effective. Another personal favorite of mine lends itself more to a sign or one or two people shouting -- I had a friend who used to yell out "Erroneous! Erroneous on ALL ACCOUNTS!" It's always a blast when you can use that Duke education to disagree with calls in creative ways.

And I'm not a fan of the "sucks" thing either. I always liked that we were classy enough to welcome away teams to Cameron... only to demolish them on the court!
I agree with you on both points. We've been reminded over the years by Coach K and Terry Sanford about the importance of being classy and using our intelligence to come up with creative ways to cheer. Like it or not, we're not in a vacuum when we cheer and sing our team to victory. The rest of the world is listening and watching to this great rivalry game. For those who join in cheers and songs based on language descriptive of or associated with bodily functions, I beg to differ with your choice of participating in this great rivalry. It's boring and trite.

Highlander
02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Alright, here's some ideas that I had. Of course, the Crazies don't have to use all of them or any of them, but here they are regardless:

Greg Paulus
To the tune of Naughty By Nature’s “OPP”
“Grads: You down with GP3?
Grads: Who’s down with GP3?
U-Grads: Everybody!”

Don't do this one. Clemson's student section is called "Oliver Purnell's Posse (aka OPP)." They play the "You down with OPP?" song during timeouts. Would look like a knock off of Clemson, and we certainly don't want that.

Some of the others are not bad.

Edouble
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I've always though that having our band (pep band at basketball games, Marching band at football games) play the other team's fight song or alma Mater would be great. But, play it horribly. Way out of tune. Play it so badly that it is almost unrecognizeable. And then bow, as though it was intended as a tribute.

That's hilarious. I keep laughing, imagining the band bowing after the song.

mr. synellinden
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I would be disappointed if at least one Crazy didn't show up with a black turtleneck and Kansas Jayhawk sticker on. Maybe with a Huckleberry Hound head as well. Now THAT would be funny!

Here's a picture as a model.

mr. synellinden
02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
What about making fun of Tyler's age. He's 23

Along those lines, can we get one of these into Cameron?

http://www.communityhmedical.com/images/walker.jpg

Or a lot of them? Maybe the Blue Devil can use one the entire game with a headband that says "Hansblah is a Walker" Or "Hansblah Walks". It makes fun of his age and his tendency to travel.

Surely someone can "borrow" one from the Duke hospital?

Suitcases are another good idea.

Is there some sort of play on words that can be done with reference to Ellington and Duke Ellington?

pratt '04
02-10-2009, 12:03 PM

This must happen. Make it big so he can't cover it with one piece of tape.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Along those lines, can we get one of these into Cameron?

http://www.communityhmedical.com/images/walker.jpg

Or a lot of them? Maybe the Blue Devil can use one the entire game with a headband that says "Hansblah is a Walker" Or "Hansblah Walks". It makes fun of his age and his tendency to travel.

Surely someone can "borrow" one from the Duke hospital?

Suitcases are another good idea.

Is there some sort of play on words that can be done with reference to Ellington and Duke Ellington?
How about a walker with a sign that says, "5 steps = a walk."

shotrocksplitter
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I think the walker by itself may be too subtle. Tyler's pretty thick, he probably won't get it. What we should consider is getting one of the elderly gentlemen with excellent seats under the basket to help us out.

Give him a jersey (baby blue, #50) and a walker.
Have him go back and forth under the rim while the holes warm up.
Ask Tyler if he recognizes his reflection.

Bluedog
02-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Speaking of Beaker, on the home page of CNN.com, there's an article titled "Surprising stories behind 20 Muppet characters" from our Duke alumni friends at mental_floss: http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/02/10/mf.muppet.favorites.stories/index.html

Here's the except for Beaker:
I always thought of Beaker and his buddy Bunsen Honeydew as characters that came along later in the Muppet timeline, but they have been around since the "The Muppet Show." Although Beaker usually says things along the lines of, "Mee-mee-mee-mee!", he has had a few actual lines: "Sadly temporary," "Bye-Bye" and "Make-up ready!" Despite being word-challenged, he manages to do a pretty convincing Little Richard impression and, surprisingly, had mad beatbox skills. Beaker is one of the only Muppets that was never recycled from some other purpose -- he was created solely for "The Muppet Show."

Not sure how students could use that, but thought it was surprisingly topical for being on the front page of CNN.

Lavabe
02-10-2009, 01:06 PM
... he also leaps from tall buildings into a pool (http://www.raleigh2.com/clients/raleigh2/5-8-2008-1-07-08-PM-9339196.jpg).

Second suggestion: CRY, Roy, CRY (a la Sweat, Gary, Sweat).

Third suggestion: Here are Madness lyrics for OUR HOUSE (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/madness/our+house_20086770.html).

Fourth suggestion: It's about time someone did something with "G" and the new ad campaign for Gatorade.

Fifth suggestion: All hum the Muppets theme song when Beaker gets introduced.

You know, the English Premier League fan in me is SO used to songs being sung that I wish Cameron did some singing for some of our players.

MulletMan
02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
So Jumbo essentially cajoled me into posting with his little intro at the beginning of this thread. I try to avoid threads like this because, as he stated, I think that each group of Crazies should make Cameron their own. That said, I know that, in our day, The Phalanx could team up with our Ugrad friends (headed up by Pasha & Co.) and really get the place rockin’. So, I’m going to post some thoughts, and current Crazies, just read these as some advice from an old guy… not a “this is the only way to act” kind of post.

Let’s first discuss UNC. Clearly this team has chemistry issues. We know that. The best way to get inside a team’s head is in the pre-game warm-ups. Use their chemistry issues against them while they are all close enough to hear what you’re saying… you know they are listening.

These guys are so damn worried about their draft status that they will stop playing team ball…
• Ask Tyler if he’ll be showcasing his outside jumper during the game.
• Ask Danny Green how he feels when he throws the ball inside to TH and it NEVER comes back out.
• Heck, ask Ellington the same thing. Tyler is taking all their shots. The guy is a black hole.
• Tell them that you’ll be charting their touches just like their parents are doing, and you’ll discuss those issues with Roy after the game.

The goal of the pregame warm-ups should be to get them thinking about how much they dislike each other… and they do. The more you get after their psychies, the worse they are going to play.

What about Roy? Roy loves his droopy dog BS, but you really know that he’s just waiting to explode at the Crazies. He may hide it better than Gary, but he may hate the Crazies more than Gary.
• I know that this has already been talked about, but considering the sticker last year, I think that a really good “Rooooooooooooock, Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak, Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk, Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Uuuuuuuuuuuuuu” when he comes in would be totally appropriate. If you guys don’t know how to do it, Ders24 knows how to get in touch with me and I can teach it to you, just as it was taught to us before Roy’s first game.
• The sticker thing is awesome. If anyone gets a hold of one of these PM me.
• For those in the Buffer Zone, you HAVE to spend parts of the game yelling at Roy. Talk about Kansas. Ask him if he give a s*** about Carolina now. Ask him if he’s willing to support his players going to the NBA or if he just wants to trap them at UNC for as long as possible. See if you can get him to react. I bet you can.

I think that the UNC team may be its own worst enemy. Let’s make them turn on each other.

I’m putting this in bold because this is the most important point that I am going to make (maybe I should have put it first…).

At no point should Cameron be quiet enough for me to talk to the person next to me without yelling. Every single second should be frenzied and loud. When the ball goes through the hoop on either end, start a new chant. If UNC makes a bucket, someone should instantaneously start another chant to support our guys. If we score or turn it over, the De-Fense and ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo chants should go immediately. When we have the ball, each chant should last until there are 10 seconds left on the shot clock, then everyone should go with the countdown! Keep your heads in the game. The team does, so should you!

A quick thing about the shot clock... when we're on D, and the other team's clock is winding down, we always count down slow, right? The intent being to make them think that they've got more time left on the shot clock than they do. What if you flipped that at one point in this game? For instance, when UNC's shot clock gets down to 10, start counting down at 6. See if you can't get them to force a shot to quickly. Just an idea, but I think it could work.

Let’s talk a little about staying positive. Sometimes, when things aren’t going our way, Cameron has a tendency to get a little bit frantic. For instance, when we were down against Miami people just started clapping and yelling and making random noise. I mean, this kind of energy is good, but it can sound unsettling. The team hears this. When things are going badly, what they probably need is something along the lines of a long-drawn out “Let’s Go Duke!”. Keep this in mind.

Another point along these lines… it is easy to cheer loudly after G throws down a dunk from the rafters or when Greg drops a three, but the REAL Crazies are cheering the loudest when the team needs picked up. Remember this. When UNC throws down a monsterous dunk, and I’m sure there will be one, don’t go quiet and let those TarHoles behind the bench start hootin’ it up with Ol’ Roy! Get your freakin’ yell on and pound them with a “Here we go Devils here we go!”. The quicker you start it, the quicker the team gets that dunk out of their mind and gets back into the energy that y’all can bring to the table. This is gonna be a war, and we’ve got 2000 students backing our team. They have Roy… who’s got more energy?! WHO!?

Something from the last game that I loved hearing again: LET’S GET HUNGRY! We should do this several times during pre-game warm-ups… or perhaps right before tip. Remind our guys that they have to want it more than UNC.

Oh… and this is funny stuff right here:

I think the walker by itself may be too subtle. Tyler's pretty thick, he probably won't get it. What we should consider is getting one of the elderly gentlemen with excellent seats under the basket to help us out.

Doors open at 7:30 which means that you have 3 and a half hours to make your mark on this rivalry. For you seniors, it’s your last chance. When you leave, I want you all to be totally exhausted… you know our players will be. They give you 40 minutes on the court for about 30 games every season. You can give them maximum effort for a night.

I went to a lot of Duke games with my friends over the years, and there are a lot of memories. Road trips to see away games, ACC tourney titles, games in Cameron, The Rumble on The Hill. But my fondest memory as my time as a Crazy was in 2005 when we beat UNC 71-70. To be honest, most of the game is a blur in my memory. The Crazies worked their butts off that night. During pre-game warm-ups I sat in the padded seats on the baseline while McCants was shooting FTs alone (rest of the team still in the locker room) and I just started in on him. He’d gotten his love-hate tattoos or something that off season and I just started by asking him if he needed a hug. He ended up 3-13 from the field! I couldn’t talk for two days afterwards, my legs hurt and I had a screaming headache after the game. I knew that we’d shot a TON of threes in the second half, but I didn’t realize that all but two of our points had come from behind the arc. What I do remember, though, is the feeling as JJ D’ed up McCants, Felton had nowhere to go with the ball, passed it to Noel, and then the ball rolled out of bounds. You could see Shav throw his arms up in the air and as he started to run toward the bench although we couldn’t hear the horn, we knew we’d won. 71-70… a one point win. And you know, I will always remember that we, The Crazies, helped the team get that point. I know this sounds completely corny, but you guys can get your Carolina memory tomorrow.

So there ya go Jumbo… there’s my memory and my advice. Now let’s go get a f***ing win!

GTHCGTH!

shotrocksplitter
02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
A quick thing about the shot clock... when we're on D, and the other team's clock is winding down, we always count down slow, right? The intent being to make them think that they've got more time left on the shot clock than they do. What if you flipped that at one point in this game? For instance, when UNC's shot clock gets down to 10, start counting down at 6. See if you can't get them to force a shot to quickly. Just an idea, but I think it could work.

AMAZING post mulletman, a treat to read, and I hope that much makes into the game.

We've been doing this countdown a bit. However, I've always recommended ADDING time to the UNC shot clock. The goal there is not the forced shot - which often falls anyway - but to force the violation. No shot, no chance of points scored.

DukieInKansas
02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
What about Roy? Roy loves his droopy dog BS, but you really know that he’s just waiting to explode at the Crazies. He may hide it better than Gary, but he may hate the Crazies more than Gary.
• I know that this has already been talked about, but considering the sticker last year, I think that a really good “Rooooooooooooock, Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak, Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk, Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Uuuuuuuuuuuuuu” when he comes in would be totally appropriate. If you guys don’t know how to do it, Ders24 knows how to get in touch with me and I can teach it to you, just as it was taught to us before Roy’s first game.
• For those in the Buffer Zone, you HAVE to spend parts of the game yelling at Roy. Talk about Kansas. Ask him if he give a s*** about Carolina now. Ask him if he’s willing to support his players going to the NBA or if he just wants to trap them at UNC for as long as possible. See if you can get him to react. I bet you can.

Some added info re Roy and talking about Kansas. They are currently celebrating the 70th anniversary of the Wizard of Oz in the Kansas City Metro area. Clever song re-writers might be able to do something with the Yellow Brick Road song from the movie. Could also be used when a tarheel throws up a brick - which hopefully will be plenty. :D

The Rock Chalk Jayhawk cheer is currently featured in an ESPN add. Backwards it says "You guys are morons". It makes me chuckle everytime I hear it. (Don't tell my KU sisters!)
I'll be cheering from Kansas. I hope to hear you without benefit of the sound on the TV.

blazindw
02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
AMAZING post mulletman, a treat to read, and I hope that much makes into the game.

We've been doing this countdown a bit. However, I've always recommended ADDING time to the UNC shot clock. The goal there is not the forced shot - which often falls anyway - but to force the violation. No shot, no chance of points scored.

How 'bout this: when their shot clock gets down to 7, start with 10 and count SLOWLY down. If you start counting 10 when there's really 4 or 5 seconds left, they're gonna shoot it anyway and you will not have affected them. But if you go slowly and it's close to the time that was on the clock anyway, you may be able to get them to release a shot a split-second too late for a shot clock violation.

jjasper0729
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Fifth suggestion: All hum the Muppets theme song when Beaker gets introduced.

Don't hum it... hit the dollar tree and spring for kazoos to do it

Bluedog
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
At no point should Cameron be quiet enough for me to talk to the person next to me without yelling. Every single second should be frenzied and loud.

Except when we're shooting free throws ;) Although JJ liked it loud when he shot free throws....

jacalcio18
02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
My friend has a black long sleeve shirt and he ordered a 14" Kansas sticker for a pickup truck to wear, is that good for the game tomorrow???

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
My friend has a black long sleeve shirt and he ordered a 14" Kansas sticker for a pickup truck to wear, is that good for the game tomorrow???
I'd like to see that Kansas sticker on Roy's chair.

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 02:35 PM
So Jumbo essentially cajoled me into posting with his little intro at the beginning of this thread. I try to avoid threads like this because, as he stated, I think that each group of Crazies should make Cameron their own. That said, I know that, in our day, The Phalanx could team up with our Ugrad friends (headed up by Pasha & Co.) and really get the place rockin’. So, I’m going to post some thoughts, and current Crazies, just read these as some advice from an old guy… not a “this is the only way to act” kind of post.

Let’s first discuss UNC. Clearly this team has chemistry issues. We know that. The best way to get inside a team’s head is in the pre-game warm-ups. Use their chemistry issues against them while they are all close enough to hear what you’re saying… you know they are listening.

These guys are so damn worried about their draft status that they will stop playing team ball…
• Ask Tyler if he’ll be showcasing his outside jumper during the game.
• Ask Danny Green how he feels when he throws the ball inside to TH and it NEVER comes back out.
• Heck, ask Ellington the same thing. Tyler is taking all their shots. The guy is a black hole.
• Tell them that you’ll be charting their touches just like their parents are doing, and you’ll discuss those issues with Roy after the game.

The goal of the pregame warm-ups should be to get them thinking about how much they dislike each other… and they do. The more you get after their psychies, the worse they are going to play.

I think that the UNC team may be its own worst enemy. Let’s make them turn on each other.

I’m putting this in bold because this is the most important point that I am going to make (maybe I should have put it first…).

At no point should Cameron be quiet enough for me to talk to the person next to me without yelling. Every single second should be frenzied and loud. When the ball goes through the hoop on either end, start a new chant. If UNC makes a bucket, someone should instantaneously start another chant to support our guys. If we score or turn it over, the De-Fense and ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo chants should go immediately. When we have the ball, each chant should last until there are 10 seconds left on the shot clock, then everyone should go with the countdown! Keep your heads in the game. The team does, so should you!

Let’s talk a little about staying positive. Sometimes, when things aren’t going our way, Cameron has a tendency to get a little bit frantic. For instance, when we were down against Miami people just started clapping and yelling and making random noise. I mean, this kind of energy is good, but it can sound unsettling. The team hears this. When things are going badly, what they probably need is something along the lines of a long-drawn out “Let’s Go Duke!”. Keep this in mind.

Another point along these lines… it is easy to cheer loudly after G throws down a dunk from the rafters or when Greg drops a three, but the REAL Crazies are cheering the loudest when the team needs picked up. Remember this. When UNC throws down a monsterous dunk, and I’m sure there will be one, don’t go quiet and let those TarHoles behind the bench start hootin’ it up with Ol’ Roy! Get your freakin’ yell on and pound them with a “Here we go Devils here we go!”. The quicker you start it, the quicker the team gets that dunk out of their mind and gets back into the energy that y’all can bring to the table. This is gonna be a war, and we’ve got 2000 students backing our team. They have Roy… who’s got more energy?! WHO!?

Something from the last game that I loved hearing again: LET’S GET HUNGRY! We should do this several times during pre-game warm-ups… or perhaps right before tip. Remind our guys that they have to want it more than UNC.

Oh… and this is funny stuff right here:

Doors open at 7:30 which means that you have 3 and a half hours to make your mark on this rivalry. For you seniors, it’s your last chance. When you leave, I want you all to be totally exhausted… you know our players will be. They give you 40 minutes on the court for about 30 games every season. You can give them maximum effort for a night.

I went to a lot of Duke games with my friends over the years, and there are a lot of memories. Road trips to see away games, ACC tourney titles, games in Cameron, The Rumble on The Hill. But my fondest memory as my time as a Crazy was in 2005 when we beat UNC 71-70. To be honest, most of the game is a blur in my memory. The Crazies worked their butts off that night. During pre-game warm-ups I sat in the padded seats on the baseline while McCants was shooting FTs alone (rest of the team still in the locker room) and I just started in on him. He’d gotten his love-hate tattoos or something that off season and I just started by asking him if he needed a hug. He ended up 3-13 from the field! I couldn’t talk for two days afterwards, my legs hurt and I had a screaming headache after the game. I knew that we’d shot a TON of threes in the second half, but I didn’t realize that all but two of our points had come from behind the arc. What I do remember, though, is the feeling as JJ D’ed up McCants, Felton had nowhere to go with the ball, passed it to Noel, and then the ball rolled out of bounds. You could see Shav throw his arms up in the air and as he started to run toward the bench although we couldn’t hear the horn, we knew we’d won. 71-70… a one point win. And you know, I will always remember that we, The Crazies, helped the team get that point. I know this sounds completely corny, but you guys can get your Carolina memory tomorrow.

So there ya go Jumbo… there’s my memory and my advice. Now let’s go get a f***ing win!

GTHCGTH!

This is fantastic. I'm assuming the Crazies still have some sort of a mailing list. Could someone draw their attention to this whole thread, and Mullet's post in particular? Thanks.

pratt '04
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM

GTHCGTH!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXfc0mQfxc)

BlueintheFace
02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Can we get three different Whiteboards that simply say "_____ DRAFT STATUS" on the top. One for Ty, one for, Hansbeaker, and one for Dancin' Danny. Whenever they mess up, you erase the previous number below that title and put a lower one.

CathyCA
02-10-2009, 02:43 PM

THIS would be funny, especially the bow at the end.

GTHC!

Wander
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM

One of the highlights of the mediocre 06-07 season: the trick you described above was used fairly often and it worked. I recall it working at least 3 or 4 times. It's one of the few instances I can point to of the crowd having a very direct effect on something in the game beyond the vague "we're loud and making the other team nervous" generalities.

Actually, I specifically remember Jimmy Dykes pointing this trick out to the audience in a replay on TV during a winter break home game.

trinity92
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I'd put Jayhawk stickers-- BIG ONES-- on all the visitors' bench chairs.

Also, in a tribute to Frank Zappa AND a taunt to Danny Green, all students should shout "Dancin' Fool" over and over every time Danny Green goes to the line.

Weks
02-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I'd put Jayhawk stickers-- BIG ONES-- on all the visitors' bench chairs.

Yes - ALL the chairs...

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Can we get three different Whiteboards that simply say "_____ DRAFT STATUS" on the top. One for Ty, one for, Hansbeaker, and one for Dancin' Danny. Whenever they mess up, you erase the previous number below that title and put a lower one.

Loving it. I'd also love to see each of their names on a Euroleague/NBDL jersey.

Again, this can't be stressed enough -- these guys are totally consumed by "touches" and their pro prospects. They don't like each other. This can be exploited.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 03:05 PM
How would you show a D league draft?

lmo7'11
02-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I wish I could do this, but since I'm in tent 69 I don't think it would be as effective since we won't be near the front. Some students near the front row should dress up in various costumes- one could be a airplane pilot, one a bus driver, maybe one a sailor, and one dressed as tyler hansbrough with a jersey. They could have a sign saying "World's greatest travelers!"

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Loving it. I'd also love to see each of their names on a Euroleague/NBDL jersey.

Again, this can't be stressed enough -- these guys are totally consumed by "touches" and their pro prospects. They don't like each other. This can be exploited.
How about some help from language majors.... Italian, Russian, etc. to translate the draft status information into one of the languages where they might be playing next year?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I wish I could do this, but since I'm in tent 69 I don't think it would be as effective since we won't be near the front. Some students near the front row should dress up in various costumes- one could be a airplane pilot, one a bus driver, maybe one a sailor, and one dressed as tyler hansbrough with a jersey. They could have a sign saying "World's greatest travelers!"

I LOVE this one!

SilkyJ
02-10-2009, 03:27 PM
The other thing to exploit is UNC's fragile chemistry. These are guys who care deeply about their touches, and they certainly all don't get along. Might want to find a way to point that out.

Deon Thompson and Danny Green DO NOT get along AT ALL.

Deon is also known for getting WASTED wayyy too frequently (ty lawson too)

GP3NY
02-10-2009, 03:31 PM
First of all mullet man - your post was amazing!!! Gave me chills!

I think it would be absolutely hilarious if the band made fun of the UNC by doing horrible versions of their songs, followed by the crowds GTHC!

I wish the Kansas chant would work but I dont know if anyone would get it - - if we did it right it would work.

I hope the front row of the undergrads somehow gets out onto the court and makes fun of danny green - - that would be unbelievably funny!

The kansas sticker on Roys chair would be great!

I love how we did the "Lets get Hungry" chant and think its a great idea to start it up right before tip - - I think it would give me chills! Or others from last year "Right now" - something the players can relate to.

PS... Grad and undergrads dont ask coach k if its okay to do the gTHC cheer - you know he will say no!

No one has mentioned the fact that Tyler Hansblo had braces put on and they were probably color coordinated with his pedicured toes....

LOVE the walker idea - maybe the grad students can pull this off in pregame...

Wish we had a speedo guy or speedo equivalent for foul shots.... (challenge... yes it is!)

bdh21
02-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Devil in the Blue Dress Originally wrote: Rewrite the words to the Carolina fight song so that they praise Duke.

In the band we always had words for the Carolina fight song. They are not particularly SFW, and I may not be remembering them very well right now but I always got a kick out of them...

13 Miles from Durham's ditches
there's an awful smell
It's ten-thousand sons-of-b****s
known as Chapel Hell
See them lick <pause> their roomates' ***holes
watch them pick their flies
all the while contemplating
Tar Hole fairy thighs...

OH...

I'm a bastard born
I'm a bastard bred
and when I die
I'm a bastard dead
so Piss on Carolina'lina
Piss on Carolina'lina
Piss on Carolina'lina
Go to Hell State

Do Do do do Do do do
Dean Smith!
Do Do do do Do do do
Still Sucks!
Do Do do do Do do do
Ray's D***!
Do Do do do Do do do
All Niiiiight!

DukePA
02-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Don't forget Lawson's driving while impaired and under age drinking last summer.

trinity92
02-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Don't forget Lawson's driving while impaired and under age drinking last summer.

So when Ty is shooting free throws, grads or pep band should hold one hand over an eye and mimic driving with the other?
Or is that just how I do it? ;)

Weks
02-10-2009, 04:53 PM
1) Someone in a Tyler jersey pushing a walker around during pregame warmups would be awesome, and I don't think it would be too subtle at all, esp. since the stunt can be supported by some timely crowd exposition. Surely someone on this board who has tickets upstairs would be willing to feign infirmity to help an undergrad smuggle in a walker....

Looks like you can get a crappy one for $15 at Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7983662

It was mentioned up top, but seems to get lost, but "Tyler Hansborough sitting in the key, W-A-L-K-I-N-G" would be a great accompaniment...

2) Agreed with multiple folks that sowing dissension is key

tmb11
02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I just did a trial run on printing out Jayhawk stickers for the crazies to wear, I think I can make 200 of them.

KBCrazie
02-10-2009, 05:50 PM

Why not start the song perfectly in tune and then.... RICKROLL!!! :eek:

blazindw
02-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I just did a trial run on printing out Jayhawk stickers for the crazies to wear, I think I can make 200 of them.

I think we just do the 1 for RoyWill's chair. I don't think we need all the crazies wearing KU stickers. The one big one posted to his chair will get the message across loud and clear.

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Overkill and not timely. Focus on what's really going to mess with the current guys on the floor.

DU82
02-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Did that back in the '80s. Played it in the matching minor key. Very easy to do.

Playing it out of tune would be the way the unc team would normally hear it played by their pep band.

And as always, our apologies to Cornell.

DukieInKansas
02-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Did that back in the '80s. Played it in the matching minor key. Very easy to do.

Playing it out of tune would be the way the unc team would normally hear it played by their pep band.

And as always, our apologies to Cornell.

Thank you for the chuckle. (And, on behalf of my Cornell grad brother, the apology also.)

zingit
02-10-2009, 06:42 PM
On the walker thing, how about a chant like "Tyler walks--AND HE'S OLD!"

On the "let's get hungry" chant: I only like this chant if our team comes out really flat (God forbid). To me, it implies that the team isn't ALREADY hungry, which they must be for this game. The chant made sense in the beginning of the Miami game, but for the UNC game you have to assume they're already pretty hungry, and to suggest that they're not trying as hard as they can is a little insulting, IMO. At least that's the way I've interpreted that chant.

I liked the Rock Chalk Jayhawk idea at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think we're just asking for a whole lotta WVU (and maybe even VCU) references in the Dean Dome. Maybe it's still worth it, but let's be careful of any idea that would just give UNC fans more ammunition against us.

Ders24
02-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I liked the Rock Chalk Jayhawk idea at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think we're just asking for a whole lotta WVU (and maybe even VCU) references in the Dean Dome. Maybe it's still worth it, but let's be careful of any idea that would just give UNC fans more ammunition against us.

The significance that Rock Chalk would have for UNC (in particular RoyWill) takes it to a different level than WVU and VCU for us. Plus they already did the VCU thing if I'm not mistaken. Not saying we should necessarily do Rock Chalk, but if we don't it shouldn't be because they might retaliate with something.

RelativeWays
02-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I'd love for the Crazies to all sing "Oh my darlin' Clementine" when Huckleberry Hound...err Roy Williams is introduced. It would p*** him off at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnUSazVq410

Refer to this link for example.

WojoSay?
02-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Oh my I would love to see this.

WojoSay?
02-10-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/10844747/1

Lawson & Wayne shared how the Carolina fans turned on them because they chose to test the waters. Maybe they should be reminded of that. :)

Like:

"Your fans don't love you"

or

"Get your passport"

devil84
02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
For those of you who will be joining the madness some 34.5 hours from now, a cheer is being dusted off to welcome those who are headed to their doom. It's a cheer that predates kville and sounds like rock chalk jayhawk.

The section slowly rocks back and forth, then chants in very low voices, slowly, but with rhythm, "We're going to get you" then point...and just keep repeating.

And so the blue devils act out the part of Satan's warnings.

THIS WAS AWESOME many years ago!!! I've been wanting to hear that in Cameron again!!

"Werrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre Goiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing toooooooooooo Gettttttttttttttttt Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!" Awesome!

And I can't stress enough to leave the "sucks" and "boos" at home. Twenty five years ago, Uncle Terry wrote the Avuncular Letter. "We can cheer and taunt with style; that should be the Duke trademark." "Think of something clever but clean, devastating but decent, mean but wholesome, witty and forceful but G-rated for television..."

The very next home game after this letter was a UNC game. "We beg to differ" in response to a controversial call. Halos fashioned from tinfoil in the crowds. Raucous, rocking atmosphere. Let's recreate it!

I'd also like to pass along a little advice to the current crop of Crazies, if you'd like the crowd above the rail to help out (and we DO want to help out!):

- The "ooooooooooooooooo" cheer is great -- for y'all below the rail. Most of us above the rail feel that one should be painted and packed in like sardines to participate. (Loosely translated: my mom to my left, along with nearly all of the rest of the section, look at me and my almost 18 yo and 20yo children like we've totally lost it.)

- There are many age groups represented upstairs. Septagenarians and older are quite common. Their donations and loyalty make Cameron (and much of the Duke experience) possible. They've earned the right to sit. Many physically cannot stand for long periods. But they will stand when the time is right. Don't call for us to stand at the beginning of a time out, because most will sit down by the end of it. Call for us to stand as they break the huddle -- we'll be standing while the players need us most.

- If you want us to cheer along, we need to understand what you're chanting, and it needs to be slow enough for us to keep up. "Let's Go Duke" should be between 100-120 beats per minute or so to keep the upstairs engaged. When y'all race at 220+ bpm, many upstairs can't keep up the clapping, let alone cheering along! Slow and steady, and you'll have 6000 more fans upstairs helping you out! (Search for "online metronome" if you want to hear how fast 100-120 bpm is.)

- If you want us to cheer along, we need to understand what you're chanting. For the game-specific cheers, Crazies with extra whiteboards in the corners would be awesome! My kids and I tend to be the translators for Section 11 (above the Duke lockerroom entrance), mostly because I spend so much time on DBR and can figure out who y'all are heckling. By the time we figure it out and spread it to the section, you're onto another cheer.

Basically, help us out a little, and we'll help you out ten-fold. We all want to be Crazies. We just need a little permission, because we're "above the rail" and "supposed" to behave better.

Indulge this 1984 graduate and former team manager in just one more walk down memory lane. Al Featherston wrote a terrific column on the Crazies. While you're waiting the remaining 24.5 hours until tip-off, this will help you pass the time: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=21813.

GO DUKE!!! GTHC!!!

fidel
02-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Sung to "singin' in the rain".

Don't forget the Clockwork Orange-type hacking.

ArkieDukie
02-10-2009, 09:24 PM

I like this. A lot. Another option would be to have the person in the Beaker disguise use the walker.

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
1) Someone in a Tyler jersey pushing a walker around during pregame warmups would be awesome, and I don't think it would be too subtle at all, esp. since the stunt can be supported by some timely crowd exposition. Surely someone on this board who has tickets upstairs would be willing to feign infirmity to help an undergrad smuggle in a walker....

Looks like you can get a crappy one for $15 at Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7983662

It was mentioned up top, but seems to get lost, but "Tyler Hansborough sitting in the key, W-A-L-K-I-N-G" would be a great accompaniment...

2) Agreed with multiple folks that sowing dissension is key

BTW, welcome back. That's an old-time screen name I haven't seen in a while.

ArkieDukie
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Here's one for player introductions: how about, during the introductions, greet each player with, "Hi Player X, Player Y hates you!" It plays on the team chemistry problems. You'd have to do the homework on who doesn't get along; I'm not in the loop enough to know. I think it could be funny, and I don't think it crosses the line. Others may disagree, though.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I like this. A lot. Another option would be to have the person in the Beaker disguise use the walker.

I love the idea of the walker, but forget the Beaker. Have an "older" Hansbrough dressed in his baby blue cap and gown moving along while the crowd counts slowly "1,2,3,4,5" over and over..... great for the pre game warm ups.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Here's one for player introductions: how about, during the introductions, greet each player with, "Hi Player X, Player Y hates you!" It plays on the team chemistry problems. You'd have to do the homework on who doesn't get along; I'm not in the loop enough to know. I think it could be funny, and I don't think it crosses the line. Others may disagree, though.
I miss the way the students once greeted the introduction of each visiting team member: "Who's he?"

Jumbo
02-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I love the idea of the walker, but forget the Beaker. Have an "older" Hansbrough dressed in his baby blue cap and gown moving along while the crowd counts slowly "1,2,3,4,5" over and over..... great for the pre game warm ups.

I'm still not sure if this tracks. Will he really understand that the joke is about "walking?" (Well, and he's old.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm still not sure if this tracks. Will he really understand that the joke is about "walking?" (Well, and he's old.)
Who knows what he really understands......

Daughter'sacrazy
02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Yes Crazies, please stay away from the "suck" cheers! You guys set the standards and benchmarks for bball fans around the world. Leave the "suck" stuff to Maryland, Florida State, and Miami who realize they could never measure up to your benchmark.

shotrocksplitter
02-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes Crazies, please stay away from the "suck" cheers! You guys set the standards and benchmarks for bball fans around the world. Leave the "suck" stuff to Maryland, Florida State, and Miami who realize they could never measure up to your benchmark.

It is reserved as an expression of the vitrol we feel toward players in baby blue argyle. To miss an opportunity to get a player thinking too much is worse than saying "suck."

BlueintheFace
02-11-2009, 08:19 AM
disagree, "hi _____, you suck" is a cameron tradition saved for only the Carolina game. It's been done off and on for at least 15 years.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-11-2009, 10:07 AM
disagree, "hi _____, you suck" is a cameron tradition saved for only the Carolina game. It's been done off and on for at least 15 years.
I've heard it used at other games in Cameron.

Ders24
02-11-2009, 10:14 AM

It's usually done by a few students (and since most other people are quiet you can still make it out). Kids from Maryland, for example, usually throw it in for the Maryland game. It has a much larger following at UNC games.

blublood
02-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Just out of curiosity, are there any cheers being considered that reference the fact that Coach K led the United States team to victory in the Olympics? I mean, Roy's got his national championship and all, but come on! ;) This seems like too good an opportunity to waste on not gloating.

nyr484
02-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Roy's got his national championship and all

Don't forget... Roy hasn't won a NC with players he recruited. '04-'05 was Doherty/Guthridge players.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
It's usually done by a few students (and since most other people are quiet you can still make it out). Kids from Maryland, for example, usually throw it in for the Maryland game. It has a much larger following at UNC games.
I'm well aware of the circumstances.

mr. synellinden
02-11-2009, 12:33 PM
There should be a pre-game or in-game chant of

Ty-Won-On!

Ty-Won-On!

As in, Tie One On.

Maybe it can be done when he's at the foul line.

It's also good sign material.

nyr484
02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Just watched the most recent Flight of the Conchords and had an idea for a sign. Take Murray's friendship graph and apply it to Hansbrough's draft status. It can end up back at NBDL... (this could work for Green too, or Lawson). Some crazies out there must be Conchords fans?

RPS
02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
The famous four-corners game was in 1979. Dean-O allegedly stalled to "take the crowd out of the game." It never happened. The intensity was fabulous and the noise deafening and unrelenting. It was 7-0 at the half; Rich Yoniker took both Carolina first half shots and didn't even draw iron, leading to the creation of "Air Ball!" It was delicioiusly ironic that the final score was 47-40.

At around the same time Dick Enberg, Al McGuire and Billy Packer came in to do a game for NBC against Marquette and required a delay on account of fears about what we'd yell -- probably "We Beg to Differ."

Clyde Austin of State got into some trouble and he and his girlfriend were investigated for having three fabulous cars between them and zero jobs. When he was introduced shortly thereafter there was silence but for the jangling of every key chain in the building. He was a non-factor that night.

The USC Trojans were greeted with a cascade of rubbers. Kenny Dennard grabbed all he could as I recall.

I actually miss the Chronicle's ACC All-Ugly Team in all it's tasteless glory. Carolina players were heavily represented. Mike O'Koren was a constant.

I loved the guy dressed as Sam Perkins with ten-foot arms.

Good times.

Make some magic of your own tonight, Crazies....

loran16
02-11-2009, 03:31 PM

Mainly by fans who aren't experienced. You generally hear "Hi *insert name here*!" at all noncarolina games with like 5 people yelling you suck afterwards.

Regrettable sure. But for Carolina the whole place will do it.

DukieInKansas
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
The famous four-corners game was in 1979. Dean-O allegedly stalled to "take the crowd out of the game." It never happened. The intensity was fabulous and the noise deafening and unrelenting. It was 7-0 at the half; Rich Yoniker took both Carolina first half shots and didn't even draw iron, leading to the creation of "Air Ball!" It was delicioiusly ironic that the final score was 47-40.

At around the same time Dick Enberg, Al McGuire and Billy Packer came in to do a game for NBC against Marquette and required a delay on account of fears about what we'd yell -- probably "We Beg to Differ."

Clyde Austin of State got into some trouble and he and his girlfriend were investigated for having three fabulous cars between them and zero jobs. When he was introduced shortly thereafter there was silence but for the jangling of every key chain in the building. He was a non-factor that night.

The USC Trojans were greeted with a cascade of rubbers. Kenny Dennard grabbed all he could as I recall.

I actually miss the Chronicle's ACC All-Ugly Team in all it's tasteless glory. Carolina players were heavily represented. Mike O'Koren was a constant.

Good times.

The 1979 game was a classic - I remember Uncle Terry opening the doors 2 hours earlier than normal and the noise started then. Some great frisbee games in the stands.

Clyde Austin and the keys was great. The next day, a local columnist wrote an article about how only Duke students would have car keys to rattle like that. Apparently there were no other keys that could make that noise. I confess to having a car key with my dorm keys, but the car was in Texas.

For those fortunate enough to get into the game tonight, have a great time at the game tonight. I hope you think about some of the ideas put out here but the important thing is to make lots of noise and have a great time.

GTH, C, GTH - 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F

DukePA
02-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Good times.

U - G - L - Y, you ain't got no alibi!!
You're ugly,
carolina ugly!!! (clap, clap)

BlueintheFace
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Unfortunately, that has been the case for a few odd games in recent years. Still, most of the student body does not use it. The sad part is that now, most of the student body doesn't use it for the Carolina game either. 05' was the last year I heard it from the entire student body. I guess it has just been forgotten or phased out in large part.

taiw93
02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but someone should hold up a sign w/ a picture of Roy Williams and a feminine dog w/ Tyler's face and write: "Looks like we're not in Kansas anymore."

Lavabe
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
GOLD MEDAL! (Point at Duke bench)... No mettle! (Point at Holes bench)

Weks
02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
BTW, welcome back. That's an old-time screen name I haven't seen in a while.

Thanks - couldn't sit on the sidelines after you called out crazy alums ;)
Still a semi-frequent lurker...

GTHC!

DukieInKansas
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
For those of us that weren't at the game and couldn't hear clearly on TV, can anyone share some of the cheers/signs and other happenings in Cameron last night? Especially some of the free throw chants.

TaiAdmiral
02-12-2009, 12:49 PM
The main ones were:

1. "She said no. TWICE!"

This was to either Green or Ellington, I can't remember. Apparently he asked his high school sweetheart to marry him and denied him. Twice.

2. "DUI! DUI!"

...In reference to Lawson's DUI.

3. "Babycakes....babycakes...."

Apparently Hanstravel has a pet name for his UNC girlfriend.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2009, 03:32 PM
The main ones were:

1. "She said no. TWICE!"

This was to either Green or Ellington, I can't remember. Apparently he asked his high school sweetheart to marry him and denied him. Twice.

2. "DUI! DUI!"

Thank you!

devil84
02-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your work last night! I sooo appreciate you keeping "Let's Go Duke" at a nice cadence and NOT speeding up to warp speed! Many in my section were able to keep up.

I missed the "we're going to get you" (chanted in a similar fashion as Rock, Chalk, Jayhalk) -- I really think that's spooky and Devil-like, and absolutely perfect for Cameron. One of my favorites from way back when!

On the whole, you were loud, raucous, and fun to watch and join! Excellent effort.

Thanks!

dukebsbll14
02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your work last night! I sooo appreciate you keeping "Let's Go Duke" at a nice cadence and NOT speeding up to warp speed! Many in my section were able to keep up.

I missed the "we're going to get you" (chanted in a similar fashion as Rock, Chalk, Jayhalk) -- I really think that's spooky and Devil-like, and absolutely perfect for Cameron. One of my favorites from way back when!

On the whole, you were loud, raucous, and fun to watch and join! Excellent effort.

Thanks!

The Crazies were great last night. The thing I liked the most was when there was about 30 or so seconds left, we were out of it, and the Crazies were still loud, jumping, and starting "Let's Go Duke!" chants. Anyone who doesn't think the Cameron Crazies are the absolute top 6th man in the nation is certifiably insane.

Rogue
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Good times.

Some of the ALL UGLY TEAM Comments were UNC Mike O'Koren: "thinks he's good looking, must not own a mirror " UNC Rich "chick" Yonikers: allergic to sunshine, Md Ernest Graham: Guarenteed to make NBA all rookie ugly team NCSU Chuck Nevit: Mother was a lightening rod, father was a telephone pole.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Some of the ALL UGLY TEAM Comments were UNC Mike O'Koren: "thinks he's good looking, must not own a mirror " UNC Rich "chick" Yonikers: allergic to sunshine, Md Ernest Graham: Guarenteed to make NBA all rookie ugly team NCSU Chuck Nevit: Mother was a lightening rod, father was a telephone pole.

But Chuck Nevitt was smart - or at least his agent was. His NBA contract had a weight requirement. If he was a certain weight on a particular date, he got a bonus. He showed up for weight in even though he wasn't playing for the team any longer. There was nothing in the contract that said he still had to be playing and I believe they had to pay him. I'll have to go look for that story again.

-jk
02-12-2009, 07:03 PM
The Crazies were great last night. The thing I liked the most was when there was about 30 or so seconds left, we were out of it, and the Crazies were still loud, jumping, and starting "Let's Go Duke!" chants. Anyone who doesn't think the Cameron Crazies are the absolute top 6th man in the nation is certifiably insane.

Alas, I was being asked to sit down by an Iron Duke (but not an older Iron Duke) to sit. "I could see just as well sitting..."

<sigh>

-jk

shotrocksplitter
02-13-2009, 02:45 AM
The main ones were:

1. "She said no. TWICE!"

2. "DUI! DUI!"

CORRECTIONS:
She said no. TWICE!
-or-
Amanda said no. TWICE!

Amanda is Wayne's girlfriend. He's proposed to her, twice. She's said no, twice.

DUI!

convenient reference to Ty's 3 driving infractions. Not actually charged with DUI's, but it still works.

Babycakes!
-and-
pulling our ears while calling Tyler awful names.

Tyler's g/f calls him babycakes and Hansuck pulls his ear in-game to tell her he loves her. Cute, but somehow disgusting.

Others:
To Tyler: "You flop, you whine, you travel every time." and waiting in the wings if they EVER called the damn steps. "you shuffled, a little, yet you forgot to dribble"

Creeping everyone out: "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'RRREEEEEEEEEE GOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGG TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU *point to UNC"

To Ty: "Freeze police!" *while covering eyes and pantomiming steering* "you can't drive!" Also, during his post-game interview on our court, we set off the police-sounding siren.... Security wasn't too happy about that.....

After bad calls: "the refs are out to lunch! the refs are out to lunch! Eat me ref! Eat me ref! Munch Munch Munch!"

'Cause G can fly: "I believe G can fly. I believe G can touch the sky. Think about it every night and day. Spread his arms and fly away. I believe G can soar. See him running down the open floor. I believe G can fly." (reference) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EyXLRdvmt8)

DukieInKansas
02-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Thank you! I especially like the "you flop, you whine, you travel everytime"!

merry
02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
The 1979 game was a classic - I remember Uncle Terry opening the doors 2 hours earlier than normal and the noise started then. Some great frisbee games in the stands.

Probably a good move given that many of us had already been standing out in the rain since early morning and it was flu season! Yeah I know, we were wimps compared to you tenters ;-)

I want to add my kudos regarding Wednesday night. Cameron was as loud as I've heard it in a while and I too especially appreciate that people were cheering "Let's Go Duke" even when we were significantly behind, and even near the end when the game was effectively over. I was cheering along.

Thanks for explaining the "she said no" cheer BTW. Some folks upstairs, like me not clued in to the proposal story, assumed that it must have been a reference to a date rape accusation or something like that. Glad to know it wasn't!

For me personally, I loved "You can't dance!" for Danny Green. Simple, yet hilarious.

zingit
02-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Dan Patrick interviewed (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/interviews/) Roy Williams (scroll down to Thursday). He's says nice things about the rivalry and even avoids taking the bait from Patrick and says the Cameron Crazies are more clever than mean-spirited. He says his all-time favorite is the "We Beg to Differ" chant. Also, can we see some "No Reese's Cups for You" posters during his next visit to Cameron?