PDA

View Full Version : What's your fav Duke/UNC-CH game of the past

Rogue
02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
February 24, 1979: #6 Duke 47, #4 North Carolina 40
Jim Spanarkel’s Senior Day game turned into one of the strangest afternoons in ACC basketball history as Duke held North Carolina scoreless for a half before knocking off the No. 4-ranked Tar Heels 47-40. North Carolina's only two shots of the first half were air balls ( some one sent them a metal detector at half so they might find the rim :D ). The Tar Heels held the ball throughout the first half, but Duke led 7-0 as Spanarkel forced two turnovers, assisted on a basket to Mike Gminski and scored the last bucket of the half on a short jumper. The senior guard added 15 points in the second half and finished with a game-high 17, hitting 8-of-9 field goal attempts. The win allowed Duke to tie North Carolina for the ACC regular season title.

February 28, 1981: Duke 66, #11 North Carolina 65 (OT)
Duke struggled in its first season under Coach Mike Krzyzewski, going 17-13 overall and 6-8 in the ACC. However, the Blue Devils' regular-season finale was one to remember. On Senior Night, Duke's Gene Banks put on a tuxedo and threw roses to the crowd at Cameron Indoor Stadium before the game. North Carolina controlled the game early, then went scoreless over a four-minute stretch of the second half to allow Duke to take a 46-45 lead late in regulation. The Tar Heels fought back to go ahead 50-49, and the teams traded baskets until two Sam Perkins free throws gave Carolina a 58-56 lead with two seconds to play. Duke inbounded to midcourt and called time out with one second left. Banks took the inbounds pass pass from Kenny Denard, who faked to the right ( Carolina always goes for fakes ) and nailed a jumper at the buzzer to force overtime. The Blue Devils took a 62-59 lead early in the extra session, but North Carolina rallied to take a 65-64 lead on the strength of an Al Wood jumper and two free throws by Mike Pepper. Duke's Vince Taylor misfired on a short jumper, but Banks rebounded and banked home the game-winner with 19 seconds to go. Banks led Duke with 25 points.

What's yours ?

GTHC GTH

VaDukie
02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I have two favorites. 2004: Duke 83 UNC 81 and 2005 Duke 71 UNC 70.

I watched the game in 2004 with a big group of friends. It was my senior year in high school and out of the 10-12 people watching the game there were only 2 of us rooting for Duke. I was wearing a #21 jersey in honor of Duhon (although it started out a Langdon jersey), and after he made the game winning layup I just stood up in the room with my hands in the air, smiling and clenching my fists. I don't think I said anything for 5 minutes. I just took in the moment.

In 2005 I tented and the atmosphere was unreal. It took me the better part of the 1st half to realize that I was really watching a Duke-Carolina game in Cameron. When the ball was dribbled out of bounds Cameron exploded. It was deafeningly loud.

Honorable mention goes to the 2001 beatdown at the ACC Tournament. The Tar Heel faithful were headed for the exits at the 12 minute mark in the 2nd half. Shortly thereafter we started leaving our seats too...but we were going to buy Championship shirts :D

bird
02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Jay's No. 2 game: No. 1 Duke v. No. 3 North Carolina, March 2, 1986. Duke wins 82-74. Johnny D speaks after the game to the assembled throng with one profound line of verse: "Nothing could be finer than beating Carolina."

Fish80
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I was there for the '79 game in Cameron. That was special!

My favorite is the '01 game at the dean dome. We went in wounded and tore them up. Favorite play was Battier's block of a break away dunk. I grin from ear to ear whenever I think of that play.

Billy Dat
02-09-2009, 04:58 PM
-2001 at the Dean Dome was amazing on so many levels, especially because I thought we were done after Boozer broke his foot.

-1999 at the Dean Dome was a hugely satisfying beat down because our recent run of futility at the Dome had been so severe. Also, we hadn't thumped them like I expected us to in the first meeting at home. Thankfully, we also opened up a big can on them in the ACC final that year.

-It's funny how recent years have seen a big flip-flop, we win at the Dome and lose at home. I can't decide which is the greater feeling - the pain of losing to them at home or the joy of beating them in the Dome. These Dome wins of late have been very sweet.....Duhon's coast to coast, JJ's step back 3, the torrent of 3s that marked last year's win (Lawson or no Lawson).

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
It's so hard to pick a favorite..... it's like trying to pick out the best chocolate out of a box of exquisite Godiva chocolates. Among those I'd consider favorites, there is a theme: a Duke player, particularly a senior, scores a season/career high number of points to beat Carolina. I immediately think of Art Heyman and Gene Banks.

Art Heyman's performances against Carolina were especially satisfying since Duke out hustled Carolina to land a player destined to create a reference point in the battle for best recruits and in the development of a nationally ranked program at Duke.

Gene Banks career at Duke was another reference point for the program. His final game was a doozie complete with roses thrown to the crowd.

A third player who generally played well against Carolina was Danny Ferry, also a recruit who grew up a Carolina fan, was heavily recruited by Carolina, but chose Duke and never looked back.

If there's a second theme in my favorite games, it's the role of recruits who chose Duke over Carolina and how those players then play a major role in beating Carolina.

Billy Dat
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks for mentioning Seniors, DiBD, I totally forgot one of my all time favorites involving my all time favorite - C-Well!

His Senior Day, he led the team to a sweet W and walked off the court, ball held high in one hand, as the Crazies crushed in around him and walked him to the locker room hallway...the ball extended in his hand being the primary thing one could see from the TV vantage point. I'd pay $$ to have a photo of that scene playing out.

9F! 9F! 9F!

blazindw
02-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Two favorite ones:

1. Dean Dome in 2004, Duhon coast to coast. Being in the building for that sitting among the Rams Club in full Duke gear is something I won't ever forget.
2. 2004. The final game I saw as a student in Cameron. I just remember McCants losing the ball, JJ falling on it and calling timeout and seeing myself jump 10 feet into the air and turning to some of my fellow seniors and just hugging and crying tears of joy. I looked up at the scoreboard and realized that that was it. It was my final game as a student in Cameron, and my fellow seniors and I were about to go out with a victory over UNC.

Rogue
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Devil In A Blue Dress,, your reference to Art Heyman, brought back another memory of a great Duke WIN over unc-ch.. I think it was 1966, ACC tourney,, as we recall, only ONE team could make the NCAA tourney from the conference back then,, I think it was the simi finals and Duke was the heavy favorite. Jack Marin, Bob Verga and Mike Lewis.. unc-ch once again, held the ball because they couldn't compete.. Lewis sank two free throws in the final seconds to seal the 21-20 win and advance to the finals ,, we won.

Anyone remember the details of the,, 1971 win over unc-ch ?? Rick Katherman, "the Manchester Rifle" ?

DukeUsul
02-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I have a special place reserved for the 97 win at Cameron. Duke wins 80-73 behind seven threes and 28 pts from Trajan. Ends a real nasty losing streak. The first win over UNC I saw in person. Begins an era of dominance over the Heels.

bgibbs1001
02-09-2009, 07:49 PM
My favorite one would have to be January 22, 1972 when Duke wasn't very good and the Holes were #1 in the nation. They came into Cameron(I think it was renamed Cameron by then) with Robert McAdoo and Dennis Wuycik. but Duke had Robby West who hit a shot from the top of the key with 3 seconds left and Duke won 76-74. I redmember it well as it was my junior year in high school I was in the stands with my father(who has since past away) yelling my head off. McAdoo couldn't hit a thing that day and Wuycik missed the last shot from the corner and the place exploded.

Kedsy
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Jim Spanarkel’s Senior Day game turned into one of the strangest afternoons in ACC basketball history as Duke held North Carolina scoreless for a half before knocking off the No. 4-ranked Tar Heels 47-40. North Carolina's only two shots of the first half were air balls ( some one sent them a metal detector at half so they might find the rim :D ). The Tar Heels held the ball throughout the first half, but Duke led 7-0 as Spanarkel forced two turnovers, assisted on a basket to Mike Gminski and scored the last bucket of the half on a short jumper. The senior guard added 15 points in the second half and finished with a game-high 17, hitting 8-of-9 field goal attempts. The win allowed Duke to tie North Carolina for the ACC regular season title.

Duke struggled in its first season under Coach Mike Krzyzewski, going 17-13 overall and 6-8 in the ACC. However, the Blue Devils' regular-season finale was one to remember. On Senior Night, Duke's Gene Banks put on a tuxedo and threw roses to the crowd at Cameron Indoor Stadium before the game. North Carolina controlled the game early, then went scoreless over a four-minute stretch of the second half to allow Duke to take a 46-45 lead late in regulation. The Tar Heels fought back to go ahead 50-49, and the teams traded baskets until two Sam Perkins free throws gave Carolina a 58-56 lead with two seconds to play. Duke inbounded to midcourt and called time out with one second left. Banks took the inbounds pass pass from Kenny Denard, who faked to the right ( Carolina always goes for fakes ) and nailed a jumper at the buzzer to force overtime. The Blue Devils took a 62-59 lead early in the extra session, but North Carolina rallied to take a 65-64 lead on the strength of an Al Wood jumper and two free throws by Mike Pepper. Duke's Vince Taylor misfired on a short jumper, but Banks rebounded and banked home the game-winner with 19 seconds to go. Banks led Duke with 25 points.

What's yours ?

GTHC GTH

I was a student (and attendee) during both of these games so I am partial to your choices. I was standing about two and a half inches away from Rich Yonokur's ear as he stood in his one of the four corners in that half. I was screaming as loud as I could and couldn't hear myself. The Gene Banks game was the only time in my four years that we stormed the court.

But there are so many (including but not limited to these two), it's really hard to choose if you had to pick one.

ricks68
02-10-2009, 02:11 AM
I guess you had to be there, as I don't think it was televised back in those ancient pre Coach K days:

Freddie, Freddie, Freddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress, you need to educate most of the young un's, as most of the posters on this board were not even a twinkle in their parents' eyes when it happened.

ricks

bgibbs1001
02-10-2009, 03:47 AM
I guess you had to be there, as I don't think it was televised back in those ancient pre Coach K days:

Freddie, Freddie, Freddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress, you need to educate most of the young un's, as most of the posters on this board were not even a twinkle in their parents' eyes when it happened.

ricks

Yes it was televised because I remember watching it on TV. I also remember Fred Lind saying that it was something about those tarheels that just turned him on to play. I remember the triple overtime game in which Dave Goldman injured his jaw in nasty fall which Duke won by the way with Fred Lind's help.

Bob Green
02-10-2009, 04:59 AM

I also vote for the 1968 triple overtime win. It was definitely televised under sponsorship from Pilot-Life. I watched every second and have fond memories indeed.

heyman25
02-10-2009, 07:15 AM
1. 1968 I was there as a 14 yr old Duke fan.
2. 1963 Art Heyman senior day 40 points 24 rebounds its in the record books Duke fans.I don't think that statistic will ever come close to being surpassed. No 3 pointers either and Hall of Famer the Kangaroo Kid Billy Cunningham defending in the paint.
3 1972 Robby West's clutch shot
4. the Elton Brand Wojo McCleod comeback victory was it 98? sorry I think the Bubas years are constantly overlooked.
72 might have been a Bucky Waters team not a time for me to fact check

TwoDukeTattoos
02-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Coach K came out of the locker room at half time with his tie gone! I've always remembered that game vividly and was thrilled to learn that ESPN Classic aired it yesterday. I now have it recorded!

davekay1971
02-10-2009, 07:56 AM
The Duke-UNC ACC championship game in 2001. That was before the wheels fully fell off the Matty Doh wagon...but we completely smoked them. It was a complete beatdown and Dick Vitale was calling out Carolina for quitting.

Sorry...having a moment...tearing up a little at the pure joy of that memory :D

heyman25
02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Here is some early light on the Art Heyman Larry Brown Donnie Walsh fight in '61 I hope this doesn't upstage Featherston's story but this is from Art Heyman.

http://bloomideas.blogspot.com/2006/07/interview-with-former-knick-art-heyman.html

brumby041
02-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I have to go with the game at Cameron in '95 (I think) when K was out and our boys were not having success. The game I'm thinking of included the half-court 3 by Capel at the end of regulation or 1OT that kept us going. Even though we lost that game, it holds a special place in my heart because it really showed the desire, heart, guts, etc. that exemplify Duke Ball.

As I recall, Carolina was highly ranked, maybe even #1, while our boys were struggling with a 5-200 record or something. On paper, the Holes should have blown us out of the gym badly. I was so proud of the way our guys fought and darn-near won the game.

Fist, baby!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 09:00 AM
1. 1968 I was there as a 14 yr old Duke fan.
2. 1963 Art Heyman senior day 40 points 24 rebounds its in the record books Duke fans.I don't think that statistic will ever come close to being surpassed. No 3 pointers either and Hall of Famer the Kangaroo Kid Billy Cunningham defending in the paint.
3 1972 Robby West's clutch shot
4. the Elton Brand Wojo McCleod comeback victory was it 98? sorry I think the Bubas years are constantly overlooked.
72 might have been a Bucky Waters team not a time for me to fact check
Art Heyman's Senior Day was truly a special Duke - Carolina game. When I think of Artie playing at his best, he's driving hard to the basket no matter who or how many were in the paint..... it looked as if he could will his way to a goal... and I think sometimes he did. The fact that he was recruited by McGuire for Carolina and changed to Duke at the last minute makes his accomplishments even more satisfying.

ricks68, I'm filling in some of the history prior to your arrival so that you won't be haunted by the results of the Traditions Test anymore!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Here is some early light on the Art Heyman Larry Brown Donnie Walsh fight in '61 I hope this doesn't upstage Featherston's story but this is from Art Heyman.

http://bloomideas.blogspot.com/2006/07/interview-with-former-knick-art-heyman.html
Looking back on this event in light of the Carolina NCAA probation and additional restrictions placed on the program.... this fight exemplified one of the reasons the Carolina administration wanted McGuire gone. They felt that the behavior of the bench encouraged fights on the floor.....not just between Duke and Carolina, but also between Carolina and other teams most notably Wake Forest. If I remember correctly this fight came after McGuire was told to shape up.

blueprofessor
02-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Coach K came out of the locker room at half time with his tie gone! I've always remembered that game vividly and was thrilled to learn that ESPN Classic aired it yesterday. I now have it recorded!

I was a student in the stands for 3:
*January 22,1972, the day the indoor stadium was named for the retiring Eddie Cameron and Duke beat #3 UNC on Robert Samuel West's 18 footer.
*February 28,1970, my first Duke-UNC game in person and a 91-83 Duke win.
*March 6, 1971, with Duke winning 92-83.

**Beside the beatdown in the 1999 DeanDome game and the 1992,1999,and 2001 ACC Championship game blowouts, I loved the February 28, 1998 comeback (17 points down with about 11 minutes left) by #1 Duke over #3 UNC at the loudest and hottest Cameron I've ever attended.Terrific players:
Carter,Jamison,Cota,Haywood,Williams,McLeod,Battie r,Wojo,Langdon,Carrawell,Brand, and Avery!It was my then 6 years-old son's first Duke game.His eyes were huge at the conclusion of the game and he remarked that college was great since all the students were in the "gym",not the library.
Best regards--Blueprofessor:):D

jipops
02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
1984 ACC tournament in Greensboro, I was 11 years old and present for the game. UNC featured Jordan, Perkins, Daugherty, Doherty (Kenny Smith had an injured wrist) and had thoroughly dominated ACC play. Duke had a very young yet very promising team. It was the win that signaled Duke had arrived under Coach K.

slower
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
I was a student in the stands for 3:
*January 22,1972, the day the indoor stadium was named for the retiring Eddie Cameron and Duke beat #3 UNC on Robert Samuel West's 18 footer.
*February 28,1970, my first Duke-UNC game in person and a 91-83 Duke win.
*March 6, 1971, with Duke winning 92-83.

**Beside the beatdown in the 1999 DeanDome game and the 1992,1999,and 2001 ACC Championship game blowouts, I loved the February 28, 1998 comeback (17 points down with about 11 minutes left) by #1 Duke over #3 UNC at the loudest and hottest Cameron I've ever attended.Terrific players:
Carter,Jamison,Cota,Haywood,Williams,McLeod,Battie r,Wojo,Langdon,Carrawell,Brand, and Avery!It was my then 6 years-old son's first Duke game.His eyes were huge at the conclusion of the game and he remarked that college was great since all the students were in the "gym",not the library.
Best regards--Blueprofessor:):D

Just watched the 1998 "comeback" game on ESPN Classic. In retrospect, what an amazing collection of talent under one roof. Brand, Battier, Langdon, Carrawell, McLeod, Avery - holy crap! And I've got to hand it to Jamison - guy was a flat out stud.

Also, what an amazing collection of Tarhole punks (Cota, Ndiaye, Carter) and whiners (Haywood). Probably my most hated Tarhole squad of all time.

The Gordog
02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
1984 ACC tournament in Greensboro, I was 11 years old and present for the game. UNC featured Jordan, Perkins, Daugherty, Doherty (Kenny Smith had an injured wrist) and had thoroughly dominated ACC play. Duke had a very young yet very promising team. It was the win that signaled Duke had arrived under Coach K.

I just watched that game last night after DVRing it. Kenny Smith had injured the wrist earlier in the year, but he definately played in that game.

BTW, I had totally forgotten about Doug McNeely, so good to see those old games....

The Gordog
02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
3/2/86: Johnny's senior night. My last time in Cameron as a student. We won 82-74 avenging our loss @ Carmichael Aud. Sadly there was no rubber match in the ACCT as GA Tech knocked off the hated holes.

Cdog923
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I have to go with the game at Cameron in '95 (I think) when K was out and our boys were not having success. The game I'm thinking of included the half-court 3 by Capel at the end of regulation or 1OT that kept us going. Even though we lost that game, it holds a special place in my heart because it really showed the desire, heart, guts, etc. that exemplify Duke Ball.

As I recall, Carolina was highly ranked, maybe even #1, while our boys were struggling with a 5-200 record or something. On paper, the Holes should have blown us out of the gym badly. I was so proud of the way our guys fought and darn-near won the game.

Fist, baby!

This one. I can't remember how many times I tried recreating that shot in the driveway. Even Vitale's commentary was awesome.

DU Band Prez 88
02-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Just watched the 1998 "comeback" game on ESPN Classic. In retrospect, what an amazing collection of talent under one roof. Brand, Battier, Langdon, Carrawell, McLeod, Avery - holy crap! And I've got to hand it to Jamison - guy was a flat out stud.

Also, what an amazing collection of Tarhole punks (Cota, Ndiaye, Carter) and whiners (Haywood). Probably my most hated Tarhole squad of all time.

From my limited perspective as an undergrad in the mid to late-80s and again as a grad student from 96-98, thus having missed the aforementioned "Bubas years" great games, the 2/28/98 game is still unsurpassed in my view, not just for Duke/UNC but perhaps for all Duke home ACC games. How can it get any better?

- Certainly must have been the loudest game ever at Cameron - especially during the 2nd half comeback, and who knows how many decibels when Haywood missed his FT's
- Has it ever been hotter in Cameron - the place must have been around 95 degrees at the end
- As this poster mentions, beating Hacktar Ndaiye, Brenda Haywood & Cota...
- Elton Brand taking over in the 2nd half
- Wojo running across the court to hug Coach K

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 06:04 PM
From my limited perspective as an undergrad in the mid to late-80s and again as a grad student from 96-98, thus having missed the aforementioned "Bubas years" great games, the 2/28/98 game is still unsurpassed in my view, not just for Duke/UNC but perhaps for all Duke home ACC games. How can it get any better?

- Certainly must have been the loudest game ever at Cameron - especially during the 2nd half comeback, and who knows how many decibels when Haywood missed his FT's
- Has it ever been hotter in Cameron - the place must have been around 95 degrees at the end
- As this poster mentions, beating Hacktar Ndaiye, Brenda Haywood & Cota...
- Elton Brand taking over in the 2nd half
- Wojo running across the court to hug Coach K
The 1961 Duke - Carolina game in then Indoor Stadium is special in a different way. Tempers flared early. The freshman teams played before the varsity as was customary at the time. A total of five players from both teams fouled out. Three were ejected for fighting, including a Carolina player who came off the bench to try to tackle a Duke player going in for a layup off a fast break. Carolina had three players remaining on the floor at the end of that game.

Then the varsity came out and the next round began. Art Heyman accused Doug Moe of spitting on him every time he tried to shoot. The two of them were staring each other down at every opportunity. Dieter Kreuse came off the Carolina bench to go after Doug Kistler on the court. (Kreuse is the same guy who slugged Artie in a freshman game the year before, sending Artie to the hospital.) With three minutes remaining in regular time, the score was Carolina 73, Duke 70. Duke pulled out a win because of a number of free throws made, especially by Art Heyman. In that last series of seconds on the clock, what has become known as "The Fight" broke out. It took ten minutes to clear the floor. What a night! Final score: Duke 81, Carolina 77.

rasputin
02-10-2009, 06:12 PM

What's yours ?

GTHC GTH

In reading the thread title, before reading the text of this first post, my mind immediately went to the same 2 games, in that order.

Actually, this thread could be retitled, "how old are you?" because the poster's age seems to be a proxy for the answer.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
In reading the thread title, before reading the text of this first post, my mind immediately went to the same 2 games, in that order.

Actually, this thread could be retitled, "how old are you?" because the poster's age seems to be a proxy for the answer.

Isn't great that the Duke program has been a power for so long?

I enjoy reading or hearing other peoples' accounts of Duke - Carolina games regardless of when they were played..... and that includes the many games I attended over the years. It's part of the build up in the rivalry and it's part of how long the rivalry has existed. It's also part of our great tradition.

Perhaps last year there was a post from someone who saw Dick Groat give his stellar performance against Carolina. I wasn't old enough to go to that one, but I loved the story nonetheless.

lumberbaron
02-10-2009, 08:03 PM

I was at this game. It ruled. Close 2nd is 2001 final game when we threw the press at them after Boozer got injured.

lumberbaron
02-10-2009, 08:20 PM

You guys are forgetting Okulaja, who if you recall got in trouble, or at least threatened with trouble because when the students rushed the floor after the game he started throwing bows and gave some kid a bloody nose. After the game I found myself face to face with Brendan Haywood after the game and was about to say something to him but pussed out cause he looked like he was going to stab me.

I remember Shammond Williams sitting out and yelling at Vince to "go get it!" because the back door cut was open and he went straight to the rack and caught a nasty alley oop. Carolina was just as talented.

DownEastDevil
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
1988 - My first Duke/UNC game ever in Cameron. It was Billy King and Kevin Strickland's senior game. I left home early so I could be a part of the pregame activity but had a flat tire on the way and walked into Cameron when they were tipping the ball off. I got to my seat and found out I had 2 heels fans sitting right behind me. They made my 1st half miserable as the heels led most of the half. I was wondering how the day could be any worse. Duke was strong the second half and won by 15 while I wore those 2 fans out the whole second half. With about 5 minutes to go I heard one of them say let's get the hell out of here before this is over and as they stood up to leave our whole section stood up and clapped and waved bye to them.

Lord Ash
02-10-2009, 08:59 PM
As far as they go, even a loss was fun; namely, 100-102. Tent #1 that year! :D

jipops
02-10-2009, 11:10 PM
I just watched that game last night after DVRing it. Kenny Smith had injured the wrist earlier in the year, but he definately played in that game.

BTW, I had totally forgotten about Doug McNeely, so good to see those old games....

Thanks for helping me clear out my cobwebs, I couldn't remember if Kenny played or not.

Doug McNeely was one of K's first lock down defenders, before Billy King came along.

Hurley2Hill
02-11-2009, 12:08 AM
#1 for me is definitely the game in Crapel Hell in 2001, because I was there and it was an absolute beatdown.

#2 would have to be the complete and utter demolition that was the 1992 ACC Championship game.

#3, probably the Duhon coast-to-coast game winner.

When it comes to UNC, I'm a big fan of 1) destruction and 2) heartbreak.

Edouble
02-11-2009, 01:01 AM

Cameron Indoor Stadium

On a cold February day in Durham, it was boiling inside of Cameron Indoor. My facepaint was on my chest before the tip... and alot happened before the tip.

On senior day, Wojo stepped to center court to the crowd's applause, fists clenched at his side. Duke's emotional leader appeared to be trying as hard as I was to keep his emotions in check with the biggest game of the year minutes away. I held back my tears.

Roshod McCleod, the other senior of note, stepped to center court next and broke with Krzyzewski tradition, bringing out a family member with him. It was not his mother and father standing beside him on the Duke D, but his infant son that he held over his head, offering him up to Crazy and Hoops divinity as Kunta Kente was annointed before God. The tears could be held back no longer.

On Dean Smith's birthday, the first non Deano-led UNC team in Cameron in over 30 years was on fire to start the first half. The Devils were on their heels as the visiting team scored with ease. Coach K lost his jacket at half time.

In his first game back from a broken foot, freshman Elton Brand took apart an All-American frontcourt of Jamison and Carter in the second half to help Duke climb back from a 17 point deficit. Creeping closer and closer, the points deficit was slowly erased, and as the game swayed back and forth, there was a collective need for resolution: the crowd wanted Duke to win, but needed an ending at any cost. Ed Cota and Brendan Haywood missed the front end of one and ones on back to back possessions for one reason only: heat. The sweltering temperature and Duke's depth finally cracked Carolina's "untireable" starting six.

I never saw "the hug" between Coach K and Wojo. I was too busy watching the clock expire, and then storming the court. Jumping around with my tenting companions of several weeks, a man at least 4 times my age joined our rowdy band, proclaiming "In 50 years, I've never heard it as loud as it was today". Coach K gets his 500th win, and I was baptized a Blue Devil.

ricks68
02-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Yes it was televised because I remember watching it on TV. I also remember Fred Lind saying that it was something about those tarheels that just turned him on to play. I remember the triple overtime game in which Dave Goldman injured his jaw in nasty fall which Duke won by the way with Fred Lind's help.

I guess we can add Dave Golden to the Shelden list.;)

ricks

The Gordog
02-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Cameron Indoor Stadium

On a cold February day in Durham, it was boiling inside of Cameron Indoor. My facepaint was on my chest before the tip... and alot happened before the tip.

On senior day, Wojo stepped to center court to the crowd's applause, fists clenched at his side. Duke's emotional leader appeared to be trying as hard as I was to keep his emotions in check with the biggest game of the year minutes away. I held back my tears.

Roshod McCleod, the other senior of note, stepped to center court next and broke with Krzyzewski tradition, bringing out a family member with him. It was not his mother and father standing beside him on the Duke D, but his infant son that he held over his head, offering him up to Crazy and Hoops divinity as Kunta Kente was annointed before God. The tears could be held back no longer.

On Dean Smith's birthday, the first non Deano-led UNC team in Cameron in over 30 years was on fire to start the first half. The Devils were on their heels as the visiting team scored with ease. Coach K lost his jacket at half time.

In his first game back from a broken foot, freshman Elton Brand took apart an All-American frontcourt of Jamison and Carter in the second half to help Duke climb back from a 17 point deficit. Creeping closer and closer, the points deficit was slowly erased, and as the game swayed back and forth, there was a collective need for resolution: the crowd wanted Duke to win, but needed an ending at any cost. Ed Cota and Brendan Haywood missed the front end of one and ones on back to back possessions for one reason only: heat. The sweltering temperature and Duke's depth finally cracked Carolina's "untireable" starting six.

I never saw "the hug" between Coach K and Wojo. I was too busy watching the clock expire, and then storming the court. Jumping around with my tenting companions of several weeks, a man at least 4 times my age joined our rowdy band, proclaiming "In 50 years, I've never heard it as loud as it was today". Coach K gets his 500th win, and I was baptized a Blue Devil.

I watched that game on ESPN Classic last night and I noticed a few little remembered items.

1. There were bad calls both ways, the 5 seconds call may very well be correct by the letter of the rulebook, but I never saw it called that way before or since. Can anyone explain this? We also got away with a moving screen late in the game. There was a lot of shoving and grabbing on the wings by Heels that went uncalled so in the end I think it balanced out.

2. Brand brough us back from about 15 down to about 7 down, but it was Roshown McLeod (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=252)that brought is the rest of the way scoring 3 or 4 times straight in the paint. He was also our only decent 3-pt shooter going 3-4. The rest of the team was 3-18.

calltheobvious
02-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I watched that game on ESPN Classic last night and I noticed a few little remembered items.

1. There were bad calls both ways, the 5 seconds call may very well be correct by the letter of the rulebook, but I never saw it called that way before or since. Can anyone explain this? We also got away with a moving screen late in the game. There was a lot of shoving and grabbing on the wings by Heels that went uncalled so in the end I think it balanced out.

2. Brand brough us back from about 15 down to about 7 down, but it was Roshown McLeod (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=252)that brought is the rest of the way scoring 3 or 4 times straight in the paint. He was also our only decent 3-pt shooter going 3-4. The rest of the team was 3-18.

Weird that I have no idea what you're referencing here, given that I was at that game and watched most of it again yesterday. Could you give us more detail?

Re: officiating stuff generally, and end-game calls in particular, take another look at Cota's intentional miss at the line leading the Haywood rebound and foul. I believe it was Ro who absolute bear-hugged Jamison on the play, completely preventing him from getting involved in the scramble for the rebound. Truly, I've never seen anything else like it.

The Gordog
02-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Weird that I have no idea what you're referencing here, given that I was at that game and watched most of it again yesterday. Could you give us more detail?

I'll try. It was near the end of the game, perhaps we had closed to within 1 or 2 possesions. Carolina is attacking the basket on the right side of the screen in the replays. Cota had the ball halfway between midcourt and the top of the key, but it's hard to see him because the camera is centered on the top of the key assuming that no action will take place way up there. He appears to go to his left 5 feet, changes direction and goes right about 10 feet and the whistle blows. Immediately Wojo raises both fists straight up in celebration and Vitale excalims that they called 5 -seconds. We get the ball out of bounds.

Diddy
02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
The 95 game in CIS.

Yes, it was a lost year. Yes, Stack and Sheed had monster games and went Billy Jack on us with some Dunks.

But, that year, they were a great team. They had three solid NBA starters, two of whom are possible/probable for the HOF. We had one NBA journey man on the squad, and we took them to Double OT. When Capel hit that prayer, the entire place went nuts. That game really exemplified the mythos arround the game.

Rosters don't matter.
Talent Doesn't Matter.
Records Don't Matter.

When Duke and UNC get together, anything can happen.

jv001
02-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Has to be between Robby West & Fred Lind games. Both were great. I've been wondering who could be our Robby or Fred tonight. Go Duke!

KyDevilinIL
02-11-2009, 02:51 PM
1992 at Smith Center.

Not because Duke lost, of course, but because my younger brother – who was eight years old at the time – went to bed that night in tears, shrieking "Laettner was fouled!" about the last possession.

Seventeen years later, he still gets bent out of shape when that game is mentioned.

calltheobvious
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I'll try. It was near the end of the game, perhaps we had closed to within 1 or 2 possesions. Carolina is attacking the basket on the right side of the screen in the replays. Cota had the ball halfway between midcourt and the top of the key, but it's hard to see him because the camera is centered on the top of the key assuming that no action will take place way up there. He appears to go to his left 5 feet, changes direction and goes right about 10 feet and the whistle blows. Immediately Wojo raises both fists straight up in celebration and Vitale excalims that they called 5 -seconds. We get the ball out of bounds.

Ah. Got it. I actually missed that play yesterday, but you jogged my memory from game-day.

Five-second violations of the closely-guarded variety used to be called a lot more often than they are now. The working definition for a dribbler having 'beaten' his defender, which is one of the thing that triggers the ending of a count, have gotten much more expansive over the years. To get a call now, the defender has to be almost literally in the shorts of a dribbler, and almost directly in front of him, for the full five.

I'm with you overall, though. Without having a replay right in front of me, I would guess that Wojo wasn't close enough to Cota to draw that call by today's standards.

juelsr
02-11-2009, 03:33 PM
You guys are forgetting Okulaja, who if you recall got in trouble, or at least threatened with trouble because when the students rushed the floor after the game he started throwing bows and gave some kid a bloody nose. After the game I found myself face to face with Brendan Haywood after the game and was about to say something to him but pussed out cause he looked like he was going to stab me.

I remember Shammond Williams sitting out and yelling at Vince to "go get it!" because the back door cut was open and he went straight to the rack and caught a nasty alley oop. Carolina was just as talented.

I ended up marrying "some kid" and am proud to report that he still has the same t-shirt he wore that day, with blood stains and blue paint still visible.

calltheobvious
02-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I ended up marrying "some kid" and am proud to report that he still has the same t-shirt he wore that day, with blood stains and blue paint still visible.

I just wanted to say that this is awesome. If I had been "some kid," my wife would have tried to get rid of the tee-shirt years ago.

Okay, maybe that's a little harsh, but I dare say she wouldn't be as "proud to report" as you were.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
1992 at Smith Center.

Not because Duke lost, of course, but because my younger brother – who was eight years old at the time – went to bed that night in tears, shrieking "Laettner was fouled!" about the last possession.

Seventeen years later, he still gets bent out of shape when that game is mentioned.

I still have that reaction to the 1959 Duke - Carolina football game.

Carolina was playing a great game, inspired in part by the unexpected death of their popular Coach Jim Tatum shortly before the football season began. Carolina showed no mercy. The final score in Duke Stadium was Duke 0, UNC 50. This game is the reason "To hell with Carolina" was added to the Blue and White fight song.

Where does this fit into the basketball rivalry? Bill Murray, Duke's football coach, was also in charge of operations in Indoor Stadium. There had already been an incident in Chapel Hill which involved not updating the score on a manual scoreboard beside the basketball court in the closing seconds of the game. When Carolina came to Indoor Stadium in 1958, a smaller Duke team made the bigger Carolina team chase them all night both on the court and on the scoreboard. Duke students jumped over the Carolina bench and on to the floor. They paraded around with the Duke coach on their shoulders, celebrating a first place finish in the still relatively new ACC.

McGuire, the Carolina coach, gathered his team around him and requested a police escort to the locker room. Bill Murray thought McGuire's request was nonsense and behaved as if he didn't hear him. Later the Durham paper carried Bill Murray's comments about what he considered to be "the most revolting act by a college coach." McGuire answered by telling the same paper that Murray had plenty to worry about from Jim Tatum. The animosity carried over into the 1959 football season and beyond.

-bdbd
02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
CNNSI.com has several articles up on the rivalry/game today. It includes the cover of the current Sports Illustrated magazine - with the 2 mascots sitting side-by-side in the stands eating popcorn together. Interestingly, the cover references the "Tar Heels vs. Do.okies." Am I being thin-skinned, or is that not the derisive spelling for our team. (Is SI considered among the Duke-hating media pubs, a la ESPN the (purported) Magazine ??)

Anyway, one of the links is for their selections of the top-15 games in the series. Keeping with the anti-Duke bias, 11 of the 15 games they select are UNC victories. Geez, you'd think Duke NEVER wins in this series! :p

Oh, and my personal game favorites are: (1) 1982 with Tinkerbell hitting the top-of-the-key, last-second shot to send it to overtime at the buzzer; (2) 1979 -- 7-0 at halftime (and that was the final margin too!) Good answer for Dean trying to ruin the game of BB with his 4-corners BS. 'nuff said.

-BDBD ;-)

Grounded
02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
One of my favorites was the 2001 game. We lost, but it was an amazing experience (I even got my non-student ex-girlfriend in for free). I was able to sit in the chairs near the UNC bench in 2000 because I was on crutches (broke my hip during the freak snowstorm in January)...that was a lot of fun too.

That's me with the hat behind Jeff Foxworthy...