PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose.....

RelativeWays
02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
And in this thread, you have to, no cop out third scenarios.

Fate visits you in a dream and says, "I have decided that Duke and UNC will split their regular season series, but I do not know which team should win which game. I need someone to help me decide and you seem like a bright person. I tried asking some UNC fans but they could not hear me through their tinfoil hats and conspiracy theories, they would've assumed I was out to get them anyway. So it falls to you. Chose wisely"

Do you pick:

a) Duke wins the first game at Cameron. What a huge confidence boost at this point and you can't let Beaker and Dancing Danny go 4-0 at CIS, no way! Besides its great to draw 1st blood, let the sheep fret over trying to even up the score in March.

b) Duke drops the 1st game but gets revenge in the Dean Dump. What a going away present for Beaker and friends, last game at home and he goes out a LOSER, on SENIOR DAY! Payback for JJ, Shelden and DeMarcus. Klingon proverb says revenge is a dish best served cold, how awesome would it be to see Paulus holding the ice cream scooper hitting a three over Dancing Danny to seal the deal. Oh it would be great! Not to mention, the team that wins the 2nd match tends to do better in the post season.

Again, no "I pick neither" or "I pick the one where Duke wins both" Really? I never thought I'd here that from a Duke fan. I'm more interested in seeing what you think would be the better scenario as a fan.

Me? I'd hate for beaker to go 4-0 at Cameron, but 1-3 at the Dean Dump with Paulus of all players, winning the game......oh there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth in chapuhh heeyall.

DukieBoy
02-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I would personally pick beating them at the Dean Dump. It would be payback for J.J. and Sheldon loss and to beat team invincible on their senior day would be great. Watching dancing Danny and Hanstravel sit on the bench and cry would make the losses for J.J. and Sheldon and D-Mark all the better. Plus, it would give us a huge confidence boost going into the ACC and NCAA tourneys. Losing at Cameron is bad, but we have many more games to regain the confidence after Wednesday that it wouldn't be the end of the world. Losing on the last regular season game, like last year, would likely put the team into a downward spiral. And as evidenced by last year, we never really snapped out of it.

NovaScotian
02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
i would pick them winning at home. i sleep outside too long to only see nc go down once - and i would hate for the 09 class to never get to burn the benches.

Truth
02-08-2009, 08:02 PM

Fate visits you in a dream and says, "I have decided that Duke and UNC will split their regular season series, but I do not know which team should win which game. I need someone to help me decide and you seem like a bright person. I tried asking some UNC fans but they could not hear me through their tinfoil hats and conspiracy theories, they would've assumed I was out to get them anyway. So it falls to you. Chose wisely"

Do you pick:

a) Duke wins the first game at Cameron. What a huge confidence boost at this point and you can't let Beaker and Dancing Danny go 4-0 at CIS, no way! Besides its great to draw 1st blood, let the sheep fret over trying to even up the score in March.

b) Duke drops the 1st game but gets revenge in the Dean Dump. What a going away present for Beaker and friends, last game at home and he goes out a LOSER, on SENIOR DAY! Payback for JJ, Shelden and DeMarcus. Klingon proverb says revenge is a dish best served cold, how awesome would it be to see Paulus holding the ice cream scooper hitting a three over Dancing Danny to seal the deal. Oh it would be great! Not to mention, the team that wins the 2nd match tends to do better in the post season.

Again, no "I pick neither" or "I pick the one where Duke wins both" Really? I never thought I'd here that from a Duke fan. I'm more interested in seeing what you think would be the better scenario as a fan.

Me? I'd hate for beaker to go 4-0 at Cameron, but 1-3 at the Dean Dump with Paulus of all players, winning the game......oh there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth in chapuhh heeyall.

Honestly, I don't think this is even a close decision. You take the home win. If fate presents the option, you simply do not allow any UNC senior to go undefeated in Cameron - period.

Greg "Fate" Paulus to the rescue!!

dukebsbll14
02-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I would have to go with winning at Cameron. I don't think I could stand having to listen to Carolina fans saying how Cameron is Hansbrough's house. Give them the game at Dean Dome. Cameron's our HOUSE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vohmLU7Fc1Y
OUR COURT, OUR TIME...OUR HOUSE!

zingit
02-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I posted about this in the "UNC talking smack" thread, here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=255364&postcount=7) and here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=255494&postcount=17). Basically, I've tented for three years and been disappointed each time, and now in my fourth year of tenting, I'd do almost anything for that home win. I've spent roughly five months of my life in K-ville, and if I graduate without seeing us beat UNC on our home floor . . . I don't even want to think about it too much. I would definitely accept a loss at the Dean Dome in "exchange" for a win in Cameron. And I bet the players feel the same way; our guys want to finally beat UNC on our home floor and win one for us tenters, and UNC wants to win on their senior night. I know it's all just silly hypothetical scenarios, but I would make this trade, as much as I would love to ruin UNC's senior night and have an extra win on them for bragging rights and tournament seeding purposes.

CameronBornAndBred
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I say beat them at home because it keeps us ahead in the ACC standings.

RainingThrees
02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Gotta go with Cameron. Our house!! Go to Hell carolina, go to hell!!!!!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
B, B, a thousand times B. A four-year run at the other team's house happens from time to time (ask class of 1998-02 about that one). But Senior Night is once in a lifetime. J.J., Shel, Dock, Melch, and DeMarcus demand and deserve retribution.

Further, that game will have more to say about seeding in the ACC and NCAA and will be much fresher in everyone's mind. And there's no better feeling than watching the entire dome deflate.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/5/4818339_f42f457a78.jpg?v=0

brevity
02-08-2009, 08:37 PM
If this were a poll, I don't think it would be close. We want the win at home on Wednesday. Even if the UNC seniors weren't 3-0 in Cameron.

I would further argue that Duke would prefer to win the first matchup in any season (even if it's in Chapel Hill). A few reasons why:

1. You want the psychological advantage of being ahead 1-0 in the series. The winner gets to savor the victory for about a month. The team that loses that game will have their backs against the wall in the rematch. They may win that one, considering how many times Duke and Carolina split their regular season matchups. But it's a short-lived victory with the ACC Tournament (and a likely 3rd match) the next week.

2. The first matchup means more in terms of momentum and flow in the month of February. Should Duke lose Wednesday, that will be 3 straight games where they underperformed and 4 of the last 5. (Yes, they beat Miami, but were down 16 early in the 2nd half.) But should they beat Carolina, they wipe the slate clean, and find themselves in good condition and spirits to attack the second phase of the ACC schedule.

3. In terms of ACC positioning, the first Duke-Carolina game is more important. This year, for example, a win on Wednesday would put the Devils in sole possession of 1st place, one game ahead of the cluster of 3-loss teams (UNC, Clemson, Wake, FSU, VT). By the second matchup, the ACC title may have already been decided.

WojoSay?
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
After watching the our house video on youtube, anyone with a pulse would vote for winning at home.

dukemsu
02-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Home win. Easy choice.

Hans going 4 for 4 at Cameron would be arguably as bad as seeing him cut down the nets in Detroit.

GTHC

dukemsu

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
No question if I HAD to choose one or the other. But then, one more time in the tourney! :D
Love, Ima

BlueintheFace
02-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Every player on the team would answer A, and I believe that I am with them. Our House!

Fish80
02-08-2009, 09:52 PM
You don't make that choice, you win them both!

Jarhead
02-08-2009, 10:05 PM
No question if I HAD to choose one or the other. But then, one more time in the tourney! :D
Love, Ima

I like your logic, Ima, but I am using it to go with the winning at home choice. A loss is a loss, and assuming three matches, we can't win them all unless we win the first one. GTHC!:cool:

devildownunder
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Do you pick:

Option A, definitely. No way I want psycho and his class leaving undefeated at Cameron.

SuperSport
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I like UNC going out at the Dean as losers, but Winning at home is more important and a Big Win. The Crazies need it and deserve it.

BD80
02-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Lets take the home win and then kick sand in Fate's face and win there too.

gep
02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
For me... a win in Cameron is first and foremost... even if there's one more UNC game later in the season at the dome. Seniors... players and crazies... deserve the home win.:D

Jfrosh
02-09-2009, 11:08 AM
No question, you take the win at home. I've been in Cameron for Wins vs unc and losses vs unc. I remember the wins like they were yesterday, the loses, not so much.

davekay1971
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
We defend our house, take the loss in the Dean Dump...

Which we quickly avenge when Henderson dunks over Beaker to give us the win in the ACC championship.

sivartrenrag
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Option A, easily. I can't see Psycho T-bag win 4 straight at CIS.

mapei
02-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Take the home win so our fans can enjoy it in person. Always more important to win at home.