PDA

View Full Version : K-Ville Happenings

Truth
02-08-2009, 06:17 PM
As a former tenter, I'm curious why this year's UNC "personal checks" occurred this past Friday and Saturday nights, instead of the Monday and Tuesday nights leading up to the game itself. Any current Crazies or line monitors care to share the logic? If I recall correctly, this is a deviation from year's past...

I'd also love to hear some first-hand reports on the atmosphere and general mood in K-Ville with Armageddon approaching...

GTHCGTH!!

DukeCO2009
02-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Not 100% this is true, but I'd imagine that the change was made so students don't go to class hungover on Tuesday and Wednesday morning. ;)

shadowfax336
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Can only speak for the last few years, but its been on the weekend before the game each of the past 3 years, presumably so that the party atmosphere that it cultivates doesn't get disturbed by classes the next day...

Truth
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Can only speak for the last few years, but its been on the weekend before the game each of the past 3 years, presumably so that the party atmosphere that it cultivates doesn't get disturbed by classes the next day...

Makes sense, I suppose... will there be any organized "night before" activities or has K-Ville been more or less packed up already?

CameronBornAndBred
02-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd like to toss this in. We showed up at Cameron at 8:30 in the morning to get in line for the Miami game. I'm assuming it was because the previous night was Friday, but at 10am, K-Ville was absolutely disgusting. And I'm a slob, and I thought it was beyond gross. All the sidewalks were covered in broken bottles, pizza boxes, cans, and various unrecognizables. We saw several tours being given, and they had to have walked past that disaster. I would think the students would take more pride, especially since this is essentially their house until game time. It was very disheartening for a fan so proud of Duke and Duke basketball to see that sight.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I'd like to toss this in. We showed up at Cameron at 8:30 in the morning to get in line for the Miami game. I'm assuming it was because the previous night was Friday, but at 10am, K-Ville was absolutely disgusting. And I'm a slob, and I thought it was beyond gross. All the sidewalks were covered in broken bottles, pizza boxes, cans, and various unrecognizables. We saw several tours being given, and they had to have walked past that disaster.
Good thing Coach Cutcliffe wasn't taking his first late night tour of the campus on Friday night.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Good thing Coach Cutcliffe wasn't taking his first late night tour of the campus on Friday night.
Bet he'd have organized a clean up crew in less than ten minutes!

Ders24
02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Makes sense, I suppose... will there be any organized "night before" activities or has K-Ville been more or less packed up already?

I believe there will be food distribution, a Kville apparel give-away and coach's team meeting.

roywhite
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Tenting is after my time, so I really don't know much about the rules and policies. If there are monitors, can't they encourage/discipline tenters to clean up?

Ders24
02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Tenting is after my time, so I really don't know much about the rules and policies. If there are monitors, can't they encourage/discipline tenters to clean up?

Yes, that was done prior to the game (around 2 hours before tip off). Today wristbands for the Carolina game were distributed to students who made their personal checks and each student needed to clean up some trash before receiving their wristband.

Wander
02-08-2009, 07:39 PM
If there are monitors, can't they encourage/discipline tenters to clean up?

I recall very clearly last year seeing a line monitor kick a garbage can full of trash over and spilling it everywhere the morning of some random ACC game.

RelativeWays
02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Bet he'd have organized a clean up crew in less than ten minutes!

I believe it. Coach Cut seems like the type of guy not to suffer someone trashing his campus, student or not. I bet he'd get some students out of the tents to do it, and run laps around WW afterward.

Bluedog
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
In year's past, there were not NEARLY enough garbage cans around. Yes, K-ville would be disgusting anyways, but the garbage cans were always filled to the brim. So, the rest of the garbage had to go on the ground as there was no other choice. That certainly didn't help the situation. But there's really no easy way to make it clean. We need fieldturf... ;) (/sarcasm) But seriously, the ground is disgusting...just turns to mud that is beer soaked. Practically no grass remains.

And personal checks are ALWAYS the weekend before the big game.

Cameron
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I want to second BornandAndBred's sentiments above. While in Durham for the Va Tech game in early January, I also was surprised to see Krzyzewskiville in the mess it was -- and that was near the beginning of camping season, so I can only imagine the atmosphere now. Looked like something I would never want to look at, let alone live in. Then again, I am a Seinfeldian clean freak:D (If only it was funny.)

I would like to note, however, that K-Ville is inhabited by college students, so expecting a neat and tidy neighborhood is probably a bit unrealistic. My ideal outdoor camping existence (tents without wrinkles, freshly cut grass, 90 degree angles, and unlimited febreze + hand soap/clean sink) is the exception, not the rule.

SilkyJ
02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I'd like to toss this in. We showed up at Cameron at 8:30 in the morning to get in line for the Miami game. I'm assuming it was because the previous night was Friday, but at 10am, K-Ville was absolutely disgusting. And I'm a slob, and I thought it was beyond gross. All the sidewalks were covered in broken bottles, pizza boxes, cans, and various unrecognizables. We saw several tours being given, and they had to have walked past that disaster. I would think the students would take more pride, especially since this is essentially their house until game time. It was very disheartening for a fan so proud of Duke and Duke basketball to see that sight.

Sounds pretty standard, at least for recent times. Kville has always gotten sloppy after a month or two, at least for the last several years...

Encourage yes. Most attempts at disciplining around this type of thing haven't really worked.

NovaScotian
02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
getting back to the point of this thread... it is an abomination that personal checks are on weekend nights. his is only done to make tenting easier, as are a number of other changes made in recent years which accomodate people who dont want to deal with tenting. lets face it - tenting SHOULD be hard. you should NOT be allowed to hang out in the IM building the entire night. you should NOT be sent home once the temperature drops below 30.

steve rawson was the last great head line monitor and lef in his wake three miserable excuses for disciplinarians. moving personal checks to the weekend is ridiculous - it should be harder than that. you should have to stay up late on week nights.

lifelongdevil
02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
getting back to the point of this thread... it is an abomination that personal checks are on weekend nights. his is only done to make tenting easier, as are a number of other changes made in recent years which accomodate people who dont want to deal with tenting. lets face it - tenting SHOULD be hard. you should NOT be allowed to hang out in the IM building the entire night. you should NOT be sent home once the temperature drops below 30.

steve rawson was the last great head line monitor and lef in his wake three miserable excuses for disciplinarians. moving personal checks to the weekend is ridiculous - it should be harder than that. you should have to stay up late on week nights.

youre right. we really should do more to discourage academics....come on. tenting is an experience not some type of gauntlet that the undergrads have to prove their worth.

Bluedog
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM

I disagree with moving up personal checks to weekdays. This can have severe negative impacts on academics (some profs aren't accommodating at all for the UNC game). However, I agree that white tenting is too easy. It got progressively easier my four years. White tenting is probably less time devoted to a game then a huge game via the walk-up line. No joke. I think they shouldn't cap blue tenting. They should just have as many tents that want to do it until you get to the current 100 cap. If the 100 isn't reached when white starts, then that's fine. But if it does, then nobody gets white tenting. Having said that, I'm kinda glad it was easy when I was tenting ;)

rockymtn devil
02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
When I was a junior and senior ('03 and '04) the WXDU Sports guys did a live radio broadcast/event a few nights before the Carolina game. They raffled off a bunch of Duke stuff, had basketball hoops for people to play, and gave out free food (IIRC, Pauly was allowed to sell hot dogs in KVille for the first time ever one of the years). Throughout the night current and former players came by and did interviews, as did some local and national media members. It was a good atmosphere.

Do they not do that anymore?

Ders24
02-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Just for the record, you are not allowed to hang out in the IM building. And the temperature cut off is 20 degrees.

zingit
02-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Just so you know, it was pretty hard this year compared to other years; we pretty much only got grace when it hit 20 and below or when there was snow. A number of nights, including weeknights, we had two checks in the same night, often in the wee hours of the morning. And you've never been allowed to just sit around the IM building; I remember the LMs raiding the building my sophomore year and a lot of people missed checks because of it. Not that I, as a tenter, particularly liked these policies. :rolleyes:

And I'm pretty sure personal checks weren't moved to weekend nights to make things easier, but to enhance the party atmosphere. Personal checks have become the biggest party of the year after Last Day of Classes. Last year there was a concert in Kville, and this year there were DJs and a dance marathon, and various other programming activities. Tenting is supposed to be hard, sure, but it's also supposed to be fun. Enough with the I-had-to-walk-uphill-in-the-snow-both-ways talk.

zingit
02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
When I was a junior and senior ('03 and '04) the WXDU Sports guys did a live radio broadcast/event a few nights before the Carolina game. They raffled off a bunch of Duke stuff, had basketball hoops for people to play, and gave out free food (IIRC, Pauly was allowed to sell hot dogs in KVille for the first time ever one of the years). Throughout the night current and former players came by and did interviews, as did some local and national media members. It was a good atmosphere.

Do they not do that anymore?

Yup, they still do that. Good stuff. Except they don't have the Pauly Dogs or media/player interviews. (In fact, I'm a little disappointed that the players never came out during any of the personal checks I've been a part of, like I hear they used to do.)

Ders24
02-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Yup, they still do that. Good stuff. Except they don't have the Pauly Dogs or media/player interviews. (In fact, I'm a little disappointed that the players never came out during any of the personal checks I've been a part of, like I hear they used to do.)

Usually when the players come out now it's much less formal. They come around and say hey to a few people and then leave, it's certainly not an organized thing.

Truth
02-09-2009, 10:44 AM
So... Has K-Ville been packed up? No more tents still up, etc.?

If so, what's ESPN to do for their obligatory opening montage?

Ders24
02-09-2009, 10:45 AM
So... Has K-Ville been packed up? No more tents still up, etc.?

If so, what's ESPN to do for their obligatory opening montage?

Tents are going to stay up until after the game.

MulletMan
02-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Tents are going to stay up until after the game.

I realize that there was a ton of bad weather right before the game last year, and I know that your tent isn't one of the really bad offenders, but I really, really hope that the students take better care of K-ville post game this year than what happened last year.

zingit
02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I realize that there was a ton of bad weather right before the game last year, and I know that your tent isn't one of the really bad offenders, but I really, really hope that the students take better care of K-ville post game this year than what happened last year.

This also gets to the issue of trash cans that I think was mentioned up-thread. Our tent was completely destroyed last year, and we had to throw it out, but all the trash cans were full, and I didn't see a nearby dumpster. We ended up leaving the mass of canvas and tent-poles next to the garbage can. I suppose we could have done something better with it, but there weren't a lot of options. Anyhow, I totally agree with everyone who was disgusted with the people who just left their entire tents there on the grass with all their trash, especially if their tents were reusable.

MulletMan
02-09-2009, 01:51 PM
This also gets to the issue of trash cans that I think was mentioned up-thread. Our tent was completely destroyed last year, and we had to throw it out, but all the trash cans were full, and I didn't see a nearby dumpster. We ended up leaving the mass of canvas and tent-poles next to the garbage can. I suppose we could have done something better with it, but there weren't a lot of options. Anyhow, I totally agree with everyone who was disgusted with the people who just left their entire tents there on the grass with all their trash, especially if their tents were reusable.

This is absolutely a huge problem. There are not enough trash cans or garbage bags around. I should think that the students might think to get some cash together and go to Costco to purchase some in bulk (bags that is). The other thing you could do is ask the Line Monitors to request both cans and bags from the Athletic Facilities office. They'd probably help you out, because the fact is that there isn't any magical cleaning crew to come through there each morning as was suggested to me this weekend with this statement, "Well, we figured the cleaning crew would show up this morning."

Really? :confused:

DukeCO2009
02-09-2009, 02:05 PM
This is absolutely a huge problem. There are not enough trash cans or garbage bags around. I should think that the students might think to get some cash together and go to Costco to purchase some in bulk (bags that is). The other thing you could do is ask the Line Monitors to request both cans and bags from the Athletic Facilities office. They'd probably help you out, because the fact is that there isn't any magical cleaning crew to come through there each morning as was suggested to me this weekend with this statement, "Well, we figured the cleaning crew would show up this morning."

This year they put out a bunch of 6 or 7 foot tall recyclying bins. Everyone I know used them, and I think they went a long way to solving the trash problem that came to a head last year; most "trash" in K-Ville, after all, is recyclable.

Ders24
02-09-2009, 02:13 PM
This year they put out a bunch of 6 or 7 foot tall recyclying bins. Everyone I know used them, and I think they went a long way to solving the trash problem that came to a head last year; most "trash" in K-Ville, after all, is recyclable.

That was part of a Crazies Who Care initiative, and all the money made from those recyclables will be donated to the Children's Hospital. Part of the issue with trash cans is that so many of them get taken and used for other things. I agree that more would be better, but there was also at least some effort to change our trash bags over the weekends.

blazindw
02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
In year's past, there were not NEARLY enough garbage cans around. Yes, K-ville would be disgusting anyways, but the garbage cans were always filled to the brim. So, the rest of the garbage had to go on the ground as there was no other choice. That certainly didn't help the situation. But there's really no easy way to make it clean. We need fieldturf... ;) (/sarcasm) But seriously, the ground is disgusting...just turns to mud that is beer soaked. Practically no grass remains.

And personal checks are ALWAYS the weekend before the big game.

I disagree with moving up personal checks to weekdays. This can have severe negative impacts on academics (some profs aren't accommodating at all for the UNC game). However, I agree that white tenting is too easy. It got progressively easier my four years. White tenting is probably less time devoted to a game then a huge game via the walk-up line. No joke. I think they shouldn't cap blue tenting. They should just have as many tents that want to do it until you get to the current 100 cap. If the 100 isn't reached when white starts, then that's fine. But if it does, then nobody gets white tenting. Having said that, I'm kinda glad it was easy when I was tenting ;)

When I was HLM, the UNC game happened to be on a Saturday night (last game of the season, first ever College Gameday was on location). Personal checks were that Thursday and Friday, which worked out. But for the Maryland game that year, which was on a Wednesday night, personal checks were Monday and Tuesday. Regardless, people were just drained the morning of the game, and it encouraged people to skip class and "rest up" for the big game. This is part of the reason why after I left, the move was made to place personal checks on weekends before the game, which I agree with. It also lets the festive atmosphere continue throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday.

Just so you know, it was pretty hard this year compared to other years; we pretty much only got grace when it hit 20 and below or when there was snow. A number of nights, including weeknights, we had two checks in the same night, often in the wee hours of the morning. And you've never been allowed to just sit around the IM building; I remember the LMs raiding the building my sophomore year and a lot of people missed checks because of it. Not that I, as a tenter, particularly liked these policies. :rolleyes:

And I'm pretty sure personal checks weren't moved to weekend nights to make things easier, but to enhance the party atmosphere. Personal checks have become the biggest party of the year after Last Day of Classes. Last year there was a concert in Kville, and this year there were DJs and a dance marathon, and various other programming activities. Tenting is supposed to be hard, sure, but it's also supposed to be fun. Enough with the I-had-to-walk-uphill-in-the-snow-both-ways talk.

We definitely had the carnival atmosphere back in the day, with some years there being a K-Ville concert of some type. I believe John Mayer came in '02 and played the IM building. And for us, grace was below 30 degrees, but whenever it was below 30, it wasn't like it was 29 or 28...it was usually in the low 20s or 10s, so I sent everyone home.

One problem we had my year with the trash was not getting the bags and cans from Facilities. We requested them weeks in advance and gave them plenty of notice, but when gameday came, we didn't get them. With full trashcans and no dumpsters nearby, people would just leave it. And, you think it's hard to get 1200-1500 people to stand in a single file line, imagine how much harder it is to get them to pick up just one piece of trash and throw it away. That's not excusing anything, but if the proper receptacles aren't there, it makes it that much harder to get people to clean up. I agree that it is a problem, as I subscribe to the Boy Scout motto of "Leave a place better than you found it". That is one tenant I follow every day of my life in every area of my life.

vick
02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
But for the Maryland game that year, which was on a Wednesday night, personal checks were Monday and Tuesday. Regardless, people were just drained the morning of the game, and it encouraged people to skip class and "rest up" for the big game.

Maryland 2004, right? I could swear that game was on a Sunday, because I remember leaving early for the only time in my four years--felt very sick in the second half, and luckily for me it wasn't a close game. I definitely think the weekend checks are the way to go, though--like you said, personal checks the day before are very draining and less conducive to a really great game-time atmosphere. I'm not sure whether the checks in 2005 for the UNC game were on the weekend before or not, to be honest--my recollection is "no" but I wouldn't bet on it.

blazindw
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Maryland 2004, right? I could swear that game was on a Sunday, because I remember leaving early for the only time in my four years--felt very sick in the second half, and luckily for me it wasn't a close game. I definitely think the weekend checks are the way to go, though--like you said, personal checks the day before are very draining and less conducive to a really great game-time atmosphere. I'm not sure whether the checks in 2005 for the UNC game were on the weekend before or not, to be honest--my recollection is "no" but I wouldn't bet on it.

You're right, it was a Sunday. I think I was referring to the year before, when both Maryland and UNC home games were on Wednesday nights, prompting personal checks to be that Monday and Tuesday.

CLT Devil
02-09-2009, 04:56 PM
youre right. we really should do more to discourage academics....come on. tenting is an experience not some type of gauntlet that the undergrads have to prove their worth.

I had a 'Musical Anthropology' (or some other nonsense) teacher that TWICE had the final or at least midterm for the class the day after the UNC game...9:30 class, always hungover, always made a C- There should be some rule against that...I'm not so worried about before the game, just after.

Turns out the teacher was a visiting professor from State, and she was real artsy so I bet she had no idea there was a huge game the night before....I really wanted to send some annoymous letter to her to let her know why all the midterm grades were so low that day.

JimBD
02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Adulthood and responsibility will come soon enough. College may be the last time for many "kids" to let loose before the responsibilities of a family and earning a living. But it's possible to have "fun" without trashing the environment. What hypocrisy!-Support Duke by waiting in line for tickets to a basketball game but trash Duke and its reputation by throwing garbage on the ground. Somebody has to clean up the mess you made. Trashing the environment is disrespectful not only to other people but to your own self worth. Hopefully the babies, who are more concerned with their personal satisfaction than they are with their fellow man and the world they live in, will some day grow up.

DukeCO2009
02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Adulthood and responsibility will come soon enough. College may be the last time for many "kids" to let loose before the responsibilities of a family and earning a living. But it's possible to have "fun" without trashing the environment. What hypocrisy!-Support Duke by waiting in line for tickets to a basketball game but trash Duke and its reputation by throwing garbage on the ground. Somebody has to clean up the mess you made. Trashing the environment is disrespectful not only to other people but to your own self worth. Hopefully the babies, who are more concerned with their personal satisfaction than they are with their fellow man and the world they live in, will some day grow up.

While I agree with the general argument of your post--that students need to take better care of K-Ville--I think you would come off much more constructively without the condescending tone. If I missed a hint of sarcasm in your post then please forgive me, but "babies"? Gee, thanks. It's always nice to have the respect of alums (I'm assuming you're one) who undoubtedly never, ever, ever even THOUGHT about, much less actually did drink a bit too much and leave a can or two on the ground in their formative years. Not justifying it--just saying it happens, and generally the few rather than the masses are the culprits. Anyway, K-Ville looks great right now, the mud notwithstanding. In fact, the line monitors wouldn't give out wristbands on Sunday until the place was clean. If you'd like to come and lay down some sod before the Carolina game for your own aesthetic enjoyment, though, be my guest.

Lord Ash
02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
I remember very clearly sleeping in the IM men's bathroom one night when the temperature fell below freezing and it was pouring rain. That was a bad, bad night.

bigj4194
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM

so i don't post often, but i feel like i need to defend the LM actions as I am HLM this year. I have requested >50 trash cans from FMD (Facilities) over the course of the year. as of now they only ever put out about 20. They did give me 1 bag of trash cans and we used all of them. I personally went out on multiple occasions and changed out full trash bags.

lastly, in reference to the trash saturday morning and sunday. By game time on saturday K-ville was not too bad for a night after personal checks. The people in line did a relatively good job cleaning up. Yesterday was wristband distribution for the tenters. Before giving out wristbands anyone wishing to pick up theirs had to fill up a trash bag at least 1/4 full. the tenters managed to get two piles (one by sheffield, and one by cameron) with at least 30 trash bags full of trash. If you had looked at it yesterday around 7PM you would have thought that it was quite early in tenting season as the trash was barely visible.

If you compare this years trash problem to those years in the past it is considerably better.

As for the IM building. We have not let people make checks this year that were just sitting in the IM building as well as those that have been in Wilson.

MulletMan
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
so i don't post often, but i feel like i need to defend the LM actions as I am HLM this year. I have requested >50 trash cans from FMD (Facilities) over the course of the year. as of now they only ever put out about 20. They did give me 1 bag of trash cans and we used all of them. I personally went out on multiple occasions and changed out full trash bags.

lastly, in reference to the trash saturday morning and sunday. By game time on saturday K-ville was not too bad for a night after personal checks. The people in line did a relatively good job cleaning up. Yesterday was wristband distribution for the tenters. Before giving out wristbands anyone wishing to pick up theirs had to fill up a trash bag at least 1/4 full. the tenters managed to get two piles (one by sheffield, and one by cameron) with at least 30 trash bags full of trash. If you had looked at it yesterday around 7PM you would have thought that it was quite early in tenting season as the trash was barely visible.

If you compare this years trash problem to those years in the past it is considerably better.

As for the IM building. We have not let people make checks this year that were just sitting in the IM building as well as those that have been in Wilson.

Hey, definite props to you guys. I went to the gym tonight and was amazed (AMAZED!) at how clean the place was. No doubt that a good job was done in between Saturday morning and today. It did indeed look like tents had just recently gone up.

And listen, its great that you are willing to lead by changing those bags and leading by example! Keep it up both in KVille and in Cameron. You have a pretty thankless job, and I'm sure that by the end of the year it gets to be a bear.

FTR, I was not trying to make any comments about what the LMs have done, although I may have indirectly... I am more concerned witht the fact that people camping don't seem very concerned about taking care of KVille.

snowdenscold
02-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Trash for wristband extortion sounds like a great idea to me!

I'm abivalent on the idea of always-on-the-weekend personal checks. I guess it's not the end of the world.

loran16
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Couple of thoughts.

I'm a senior this year, and it is my first time tenting. Blue tenting, Tent 18 for those who are curious. The past 3 years I've been on the walk up line.

Blue tenting was as it should have been. The Grace policy was fair (One week it snowed and was below 20 for 4 straight days) and i had no problem with the rules. Ironically, despite being one of the 3 most responsible members of my tent, I was the only one to ever miss a check, when i was in the IM bathroom for literally 5 minutes during the day. God awful.

My only complaint was white tenting. Now perhaps my views are colored by jealousy, as I had tried to make white tenting before and failed, but white tenting was way way too easy. Essentially, each white tenter only had to spend one night in the tent since it was essentially just a SINGLE WEEK long! As a veteran of the walkup line, I can tell you it was clear to me that the walk up line in the past was far harder than white tenting. In fact the only difficult part of white is getting in at all really!

That shouldn't be the case, it reminds me essentially of UNC's lottery system. White tenting should be at least 2 weeks. That may seem difficult in the every other year short tenting season. But white tenters barely "tented" truely at all, this year, and its rather bothersome. At the very least, white tenting should've been 2 weekends long.

(As for the issues of trash, they were the same as usual. Several times during the season tent checks didnt give the usual hour grace since Kville was too much of a mess. I didn't think it was a problem.)

bigj4194
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
My only complaint was white tenting. Now perhaps my views are colored by jealousy, as I had tried to make white tenting before and failed, but white tenting was way way too easy. Essentially, each white tenter only had to spend one night in the tent since it was essentially just a SINGLE WEEK long! As a veteran of the walkup line, I can tell you it was clear to me that the walk up line in the past was far harder than white tenting. In fact the only difficult part of white is getting in at all really!

That shouldn't be the case, it reminds me essentially of UNC's lottery system. White tenting should be at least 2 weeks. That may seem difficult in the every other year short tenting season. But white tenters barely "tented" truely at all, this year, and its rather bothersome. At the very least, white tenting should've been 2 weekends long.

I will admit a mistake here. I agree that white tenting should have been longer. I made a mistake in how short white tenting was and secondly had to push the registration back a day due to a graduate school interview. this year is an anomaly, typically white tenting is 10 days - 2 weeks long. it should have been this year if I hadn't made some mistakes.

Rudy
02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I will admit a mistake here. I agree that white tenting should have been longer. I made a mistake in how short white tenting was and secondly had to push the registration back a day due to a graduate school interview. this year is an anomaly, typically white tenting is 10 days - 2 weeks long. it should have been this year if I hadn't made some mistakes.

I understand the HLM is more work than you get thanked for but I do want to mention for those who are not regular readers of the Chronicle that some loyal senior crazies were screwed out of White tenting by the snafu for this year's white tent registration. The server crashed and instead of rescheduling it and announcing a backup plan, helter skelter notifications went out. Some of those who planned strategy on the announced rules didn't get the back channel messages and were closed out. It's too late now, obviously, but the screw up was not just mechanical or technological.

shotrocksplitter
02-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I understand the HLM is more work than you get thanked for but I do want to mention for those who are not regular readers of the Chronicle that some loyal senior crazies were screwed out of White tenting by the snafu for this year's white tent registration. The server crashed and instead of rescheduling it and announcing a backup plan, helter skelter notifications went out. Some of those who planned strategy on the announced rules didn't get the back channel messages and were closed out. It's too late now, obviously, but the screw up was not just mechanical or technological.

Don't bring this up again. This argument is ridiculous. The announcement was made on every other outlet available (no less than two of which have been promoted all year as KEY methods of information distribution) and more than 80 people found the HLM within 10 minutes. Seniority does not carry with it priviledge of white tenting.

Bluedog
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I always found it somewhat humorous of what employees would think of somebody who put "Head Line Monitor" on his/her resume. To somebody outside the university who doesn't understand the system, they'd think it's a one hour a week job probably with little responsibility. Obviously, to those more in the know, we realize how much time is involved, organizational techniques required, dealing with an obscene number of e-mails and requests, and how little credit they get for all their hard work. So, to those line monitors out there, I say "thank you!" You definitely make the process work infinitely better than it would without you. I guess the "credit" you do get is amazing seats to all Duke b-ball games. Not such a bad prize. ;)

Rudy
02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Don't bring this up again. This argument is ridiculous. The announcement was made on every other outlet available (no less than two of which have been promoted all year as KEY methods of information distribution) and more than 80 people found the HLM within 10 minutes. Seniority does not carry with it priviledge of white tenting.

I have not seen it brought up at all on this board. I conditioned my comment as being one for people who do not regularly read the chronicle. Meredith Shiner's column in the paper on Feb. 4 had a good point, and I took her hyperbolic style intentional for humor's sake.

It is understood that seniority does not carry with it privilege of white tenting, nor does the number of games attended or the number of prior seasons tenting (blue or white) but does knowing the cell phone numbers of line monitors count?

No system is perfect, but you ought not to pretend the situation was well handled, at least for the purposes of future seasons.

blazindw
02-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I always found it somewhat humorous of what employees would think of somebody who put "Head Line Monitor" on his/her resume. To somebody outside the university who doesn't understand the system, they'd think it's a one hour a week job probably with little responsibility. Obviously, to those more in the know, we realize how much time is involved, organizational techniques required, dealing with an obscene number of e-mails and requests, and how little credit they get for all their hard work. So, to those line monitors out there, I say "thank you!" You definitely make the process work infinitely better than it would without you. I guess the "credit" you do get is amazing seats to all Duke b-ball games. Not such a bad prize. ;)

I definitely have it on my resume. It's a conversation starter, but when I interview with a fellow Duke alum or someone whose child attends Duke, it reallly helps :) However, when I explain what it means to those who aren't in tune with what it is, they definitely have a great appreciate for it.

shotrocksplitter
02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I have not seen it brought up at all on this board. I conditioned my comment as being one for people who do not regularly read the chronicle. Meredith Shiner's column in the paper on Feb. 4 had a good point, and I took her hyperbolic style intentional for humor's sake.

It is understood that seniority does not carry with it privilege of white tenting, nor does the number of games attended or the number of prior seasons tenting (blue or white) but does knowing the cell phone numbers of line monitors count?

No system is perfect, but you ought not to pretend the situation was well handled, at least for the purposes of future seasons.

Meredith Shriner's article was vapid at best, but closer to insipid and spiteful. It's linked here (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/02/04/Column/The-Broken.KVille.Contract-3612021.shtml) for anyone who feels the need to wade through the opinion. It's well countered by a letter here (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/02/09/Letters/The-Matter.Form.And.Power.Of.A.Kommon.Wealth-3619531.shtml) (not written by a line monitor).

There were 4 people who knew the location of the white tenting location. HLM and the 3 LMs with him. How do I know this for sure? I was one of the 3. My number is on Facebook, and you're welcome to call me, but you wouldn't have gotten the location from me. Same goes for the other 3.

Rudy
02-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Josh's letter was funny. Thanks for the link, since I hadn't seen it.

I'm an old alum so it's no skin off my teeth (archaic phrase for "not sour grapes on my part"). If you're unapologetic for the snafu then you've learned Brodhead's lessons well.

shotrocksplitter
02-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Josh's letter was funny. Thanks for the link, since I hadn't seen it.

I'm an old alum so it's no skin off my teeth (archaic phrase for "not sour grapes on my part"). If you're unapologetic for the snafu then you've learned Brodhead's lessons well.

I do wish there had been no snafu. It's not people calling that out as an issue that bothers me.

However, there can't really be any argument that this was unfair. Everyone had the same problems, and everyone had access to the solutions.

bigj4194
02-10-2009, 01:52 PM
If you're unapologetic for the snafu then you've learned Brodhead's lessons well.

In what the chronicle didn't print of the interviews that I gave to them, was that I was sorry for what happened, but as white tenting was already short we couldn't push it back another day. secondly it was a learning experience for a problem that we had not anticipated. we will learn from it and try to rectify it next year.

now...as the game is tomorrow...let us not dwell on what happened two weekends ago for white tent registration and instead root for our team and get pumped for the game tomorrow.

Lastly, as for the HLM on resume, I do have it on mine but I also have it prefaced with Duke Student Government President's Cabinet (as that is what it technically is). I agree with blazindw here that it is a good conversation starter.

MulletMan
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
now...as the game is tomorrow...let us not dwell on what happened two weekends ago for white tent registration and instead root for our team and get pumped for the game tomorrow.

A-MEN!

Those who are there are there, and those who are not are not. Move on and get ready to cheer Duke on from wherever you'll be!

Rudy
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the explanation, bigj4194, sorry the Chronicle didn't document it more. I withdraw the Brodhead snark.
Go Duke!

Truth
02-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the explanation, bigj4194, sorry the Chronicle didn't document it more. I withdraw the Brodhead snark.
Go Duke!

Good to see some "enemy-of-your-enemy"-styled love on the boards! GTHC!!

loran16
02-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Well, we all learn from our mistakes and its good to see that it is recognized.

No Comment on Meredith Shiner's columns....I'd rather not get into infraction territory.

Actually, I had one other question, though, why were wristbands passed out on Sunday rather than say....Tuesday. It seems silly to have to wear the darn thing for 3 days before the game (and its annoying to shower with). Its just a minor inconvenience, but it seems like they could've been handed out on Tuesday before Coach K's thing tonight.

arob
02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Part of the issue with trash cans is that so many of them get taken and used for other things.

read: beer pong