PDA

View Full Version : Greybeard: What An Old Guy Saw

greybeard
02-08-2009, 01:46 AM
There were five guys on the court for the entire second half, but they were out there for their team, for their coaches, for all the training and practices and dreams that they all hold, that they have held since way before formal practices ever began. It all was on the line and it seemed to have slipped away.

No matter what happens with the rest of this season, this team stood the test. Five guys went out there and played the game beautifully. A guy like Paulus, the least athletic guy on the court during the last minutes of the game coming up with defensive rebounds, steals, battling. McClure, the other senior, guarding a three point shooter, the best in the league and slowing him down while Duke caught up from a ridiculously deep deficite, and still getting rebound after rebound, Scheyer still shooting it ugly with sidespin and what not but making it go in, Singler daring to succeed at pressure times and doing it, notwithstanding a rougher time than he'd have liked offensively, and G, G standing out against an opponent filed with incredible athletes and showing them whatfore.

Five guys do not do this alone. It doesn't happen. The strength and determination and willingness to lay it on the line comes from something larger. In this, it would be nice to say that they did what they did for Duke University, for its tradition, for their schoolmates, and the Alumni. But, this was about a coach and his assistants and a team pf what 12 or so players putting this season in the hands of five of their number. It was with the strength of their teammates, the dreams of their teammates, the journey that they had shared with them and their coaches, that these guys played with remarkable determination making all kinds of different plays, plays that everything told you they couldn't make, that they wouldn't make, but they did, again and again. And, if they slipped a time or two, they made even more remarkable plays in the wake.

The five guys are to be commended, but this was a victory by the 2008-2009 Duke University Basketball Team for the 2008-2009 Duke Basketball Team. I like this team, have from the beginning, and know that I remember how I felt watching the clock run out with them in the lead for a long, long time. Congrats to all of them.

ricks68
02-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Just the best post in a long time---and from a master! Thanks Grey.

The big question for me now, however, is: Will the guys speed up play for the remaining games like they did in the second half and in games earlier in the season, or will they go back to the sluggish play when we play poorly in games like they did in the first half and other first halves?

I have found myself screaming at the TV set time and time again the past few weeks for the guys to just MOVE! In my opinion, our poor play appears to be related to both slower passing the ball around the perimeter and slower player movement through the lanes as of late.

When someone decides to finally drive the lane, with or without something set up, there is not enough time left to try it again or kick it out for a favorable outside shot if the drive is shut down.

I have been noticing this slower pace for a number of weeks now, and I believe it seems to have a correlation with our poor play. It's harder for shots to fall when the player is not in his comfortable rhythm.

When I was at the NC State game, I could see up close that we played very hard and kept up the pace of play the first half, yet the score did not seem to reflect it because State played so well against us. But, by keeping the pressure and speed up, we prevailed. During low scoring by us in other first halves, however, it didn't appear to be caused as much by the other team's defense, but by our slow play that prevented us from getting into a comfortable offensive rhythm.

At the Maryland game, we kept it up the entire game and look what the result was. After that game, however, we just seemed to lose a lot of our team speed for some reason. It seems to me that this slow passing around the perimeter until something supposedly opens up just seems to mess up our rhythm. Whether it is a zone of some kind or a man-to-man that is more aggressive further from the basket, it's almost as if we just seem to be tolerating being on the court until the clock is running down. Sometimes it also appears that the slower pace has been affecting the crispness of our passes resulting in more opposing steals.

In addition, does it seem to some of you out there that when we come up with a defensive rebound or a steal, we just get more conservative during the transition and the possession and slow it down again instead of catching the opposing team in their transition and making them more vulnerable to a better look?

We can still play our great defense and go after the other team on offense, can't we?

ricks

zingit
02-08-2009, 03:58 AM
In addition, does it seem to some of you out there that when we come up with a defensive rebound or a steal, we just get more conservative during the transition and the possession and slow it down again instead of catching the opposing team in their transition and making them more vulnerable to a better look?

We can still play our great defense and go after the other team on offense, can't we?

Yes! I also noticed this during today's game, and was frustrated with it. Seemed like we should have tried to push it before the other team could settle into a zone. Perhaps we just didn't have the numbers on some of those break? Or perhaps they wanted to make sure someone was in rebounding position before shooting it (though this doesn't always stop them other times). Or maybe they just didn't want to rush things and fall into sloppy play. Whatever it is, I assume it must be coming from the coach because they seemed to do it consistently.

And I agree with Greybeard--they knew this was a must-win game for themselves. I like their fight. I think the Clemson game was mainly an anomaly in terms of not playing tough, and that normally this team does not go down without a fight. They are a lot of fun to watch, and I really enjoy rooting for them.

4decadedukie
02-08-2009, 07:44 AM
I sincerely thank you for your eloquence, your insight, and the absolute accuracy of your observations. This is the finest post I have read in a long time, and it succinctly summarizes the unique, enduring strengths (in my opinion) of Duke basketball (and, perhaps, of other important University elements, too). Selfless teamwork, excellent (but not necessarily superb) talent, unlimited commitment, and unfailing tenacity are critical virtues for success beyond Division I and throughout life. That is way the I believe the most appropriate historical measure of the "K era" would be to assess the lifelong professional and personal accomplishments of every player who wore Duke Blue -- regardless of their profession -- in comparison to other storied basketball programs.

roywhite
02-08-2009, 08:10 AM
I sincerely thank you for your eloquence, your insight, and the absolute accuracy of your observations. This is the finest post I have read in a long time, and it succinctly summarizes the unique, enduring strengths (in my opinion) of Duke basketball (and, perhaps, of other important University elements, too). Selfless teamwork, excellent (but not necessarily superb) talent, unlimited commitment, and unfailing tenacity are critical virtues for success beyond Division I and throughout life. That is way the I believe the most appropriate historical measure of the "K era" would be to assess the lifelong professional and personal accomplishments of every player who wore Duke Blue -- regardless of their profession -- in comparison to other storied basketball programs.

This was a team that didn't meet that description in the previous game and even the first half of yesterday's game. But the second half was truly special.

They are who we thought they were.

rthomas
02-08-2009, 08:49 AM
The dichotomy of the two halves yesterday makes Wednesday night extremely interesting. I can't wait.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-08-2009, 09:34 AM
"There were five guys on the court for the entire second half, but they were out there for their team, for their coaches, for all the training and practices and dreams that they all hold, that they have held since way before formal practices ever began. It all was on the line and it seemed to have slipped away.

No matter what happens with the rest of this season, this team stood the test. Five guys went out there and played the game beautifully. A guy like Paulus, the least athletic guy on the court during the last minutes of the game coming up with defensive rebounds, steals, battling. McClure, the other senior, guarding a three point shooter, the best in the league and slowing him down while Duke caught up from a ridiculously deep deficite, and still getting rebound after rebound, Scheyer still shooting it ugly with sidespin and what not but making it go in, Singler daring to succeed at pressure times and doing it, notwithstanding a rougher time than he'd have liked offensively, and G, G standing out against an opponent filed with incredible athletes and showing them whatfore."

The points you make, GB, were not lost on us. As the five gathered ready to take the floor in overtime, holding each other in a tight circle, each looking the other square in the eye , giving encouragement and strengthening their collective resolve, I pointed out to my grandson what they were gaining by going through the fire together. They were developing powerful and delicious bonds that would last the rest of their lives. We all have lifelong friends we value, but just imagine those guys at age 65 and how their faces will light up when they get phone calls from one another or meet up again in Cameron or watch each other's kids compete. Suddenly the outcome, whatever it was to be, would not be the most important thing to be taken away from the gym after all.

Thanks for your post.
Love, Ima

Fish80
02-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Great post, Grey.

And Roy, I love yours too:

They are who we thought they were.

dukemsu
02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Very well said, Grey and Roy. We all get bogged down in what goes wrong, but we should take a day and appreciate the great effort yesterday. LGD.

dukemsu

OldPhiKap
02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Well stated, Grey.

This ain't the end -- it's the beginning of the Next Step Forwards.

- OPK

Newton_14
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Great observation and post greybeard. It was spot on.

When the clock got under 5 minutes yesterday I thought K might start going with the "offense/defense' sub pattern, rotating Greg and Nolan in and out, as well as Lance. Then I quickly came to understand that short of a broken leg or something, those 5 kids were absolutely not coming out of that game. It was really special watching them will the team to victory with the entire bench rooting them on the whole way.

That was special, and that is Duke Basketball.