PDA

View Full Version : UNC talking smack

Duke79UNLV77
02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
http://acc.fayobserver.com/profiles/blogs/sneak-peek-tar-heels-talk

can you imagine the indignation from other schools if duke players said some of these things?

by the way, i saw unc took a shot with the shot clock off up big again today.

DukieBoy
02-07-2009, 11:24 PM
so should we do an interview with paulus on what it was like to "make it rain" with 8 threes (i think) at the Dean Dome?

DU Band Prez 88
02-07-2009, 11:27 PM
http://acc.fayobserver.com/profiles/blogs/sneak-peek-tar-heels-talk

can you imagine the indignation from other schools if duke players said some of these things?

by the way, i saw unc took a shot with the shot clock off up big again today.

Totally obnoxious.

ncexnyc
02-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure what the beef is with this interview. Both Ginyard and Green said a number of positive things about the rivalry and our fans.

We all know Paulus isn't the most loved player in the league and I'm sure other ACC fans around the league got a kick of of the jam as well as Green did.

Lighten up folks.

DukieInKansas
02-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Talk is cheap. And it happened a year ago. Let's let the game on Wednesday speak for us.

brevity
02-08-2009, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure what the beef is with this interview. Both Ginyard and Green said a number of positive things about the rivalry and our fans.

I agree. I kind of liked hearing their perspective on how special it is to play at Cameron. ("There are great fans at other places. But nothing comes close to the spectacle you get inside that gym and in that arena.")

Sure, they've had more success than most, but at least they're honest about the ideal venue for the rivalry.

Not really sure why FANS need bulletin board material for Wednesday's game. Isn't it hyped enough?

zingit
02-08-2009, 02:54 AM
so should we do an interview with paulus on what it was like to "make it rain" with 8 threes (i think) at the Dean Dome?

It was six out of eight (I assume you're talking about last year). But yeah, I wish the reporter had asked them about the games they lost. They make it sound like the always beat us and are always better than us, which isn't true.

On the other hand, they HAVE beaten us for the past three years on our home court, and as a senior who has tented for all three of those games, that HURTS. Part of me almost wishes we could just cut a deal with them. We want to win for the game we tented for since early January (December for some), they want to win on their senior night--can't our teams just agree to split it? ;) We'll probably split it anyway, but winning in Chapel Hill and losing at home is not nearly as fun for those of us lucky enough to be at the home game. Yes, I'm kinda joking here, and obviously I understand that this would cheapen the victory . . . I just really really REALLY want to win this game on Wednesday.

I believe our guys can do it though. Go Duke!

arnie
02-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Our favorite Hole fan - Caulton Tudor compared the lineups this way in today's paper:

Hansbrough over whomever at Duke (Thomas I think)

Lawson over Paulus/Smith

Ellington over Scheyer

Green and Henderson a draw!!!

Singler over whomever at UNX (Thompson, etc.)

So offensively and defensively, Gerald Henderson and Dancing Danny or equivalent. Hard to believe.

JStuart
02-08-2009, 09:30 AM
After all these years, and unpredictable Duke-UNC games, don't you think Prof. Tudor would realize it is a TEAM game, and not one-on-one matchups? Which team keeps the same defender on a player the whole game? UNC? We sure switch off mutltiple times per possession.
I have a hard time imagining UNC pressing us as hard as Clemson did last Wednesday; and I think UNC hasn't seen a defense as ours can be.
I like our chances -if the officials don't give Hasbrough a free pass.

SushiChef
02-08-2009, 09:55 AM

So offensively and defensively, Gerald Henderson and Dancing Danny or equivalent. Hard to believe.

Agreed. What a joke. Tell the NBA scouts that and you'll get laughed at.

gw67
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Does Coach K allow his players to be interviewed? My memory may be failing but I don't recall seeing many after/before game quotes from Duke players. I know that the Washington/Baltimore press quote the Maryland players all the time.

gw67

ClosetHurleyFan
02-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Our favorite Hole fan - Caulton Tudor compared the lineups this way in today's paper:

Hansbrough over whomever at Duke (Thomas I think)

Lawson over Paulus/Smith

Ellington over Scheyer

Singler over whomever at UNX (Thompson, etc.)

in case you havent noticed, Green is one of helluva a good player all over teh floor, blocking shots, steals, rebounding and is arguably our deadliest three point shooter......

I would actually argue that Scheyer and Elington are more of a draw

natedog4ever
02-08-2009, 10:14 AM

We all know Paulus isn't the most loved player in the league and I'm sure other ACC fans around the league got a kick of of the jam as well as Green did.

Lighten up folks.

What they can never understand is that Paulus and other Duke players put themselves in the position to make defensive stops. That is something they don't do becase they are weak defensive players and lack solid defensive coaching.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree. I kind of liked hearing their perspective on how special it is to play at Cameron. ("There are great fans at other places. But nothing comes close to the spectacle you get inside that gym and in that arena.")

Sure, they've had more success than most, but at least they're honest about the ideal venue for the rivalry.

Not really sure why FANS need bulletin board material for Wednesday's game. Isn't it hyped enough?
I appreciated the article's inclusion of positive comments regarding the atmosphere in Cameron, but agree with the comment in bold above. Why waste one's time and energy on smack talking or responding to it?

Fish80
02-08-2009, 10:31 AM
. . . Part of me almost wishes we could just cut a deal with them. We want to win for the game we tented for since early January (December for some), they want to win on their senior night--can't our teams just agree to split it? ;) We'll probably split it anyway, but winning in Chapel Hill and losing at home is not nearly as fun for those of us lucky enough to be at the home game. Yes, I'm kinda joking here, and obviously I understand that this would cheapen the victory . . . I just really really REALLY want to win this game on Wednesday . . .

Agree to split? WTF! That's blasphemy! :mad:

We want to beat them at their best. Ram their heels into the tar! Turn Green yellow! I want those sheep to give 100%, lay it all on the floor, and get sheared!

In our house. In their house. And anywhere else we ever meet!

arnie
02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
in case you havent noticed, Green is one of helluva a good player all over teh floor, blocking shots, steals, rebounding and is arguably our deadliest three point shooter......

I would actually argue that Scheyer and Elington are more of a draw

The big difference IMO, Henderson is the player that other teams focus on, Green is more an afterthought (long after Hansbrough). But if you think Dancy Danny and Henderson are equivalent, no sane argument will change your mind.

zingit
02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Agree to split? WTF! That's blasphemy! :mad:

We want to beat them at their best. Ram their heels into the tar! Turn Green yellow! I want those sheep to give 100%, lay it all on the floor, and get sheared!

In our house. In their house. And anywhere else we ever meet!

1. Geez, lighten up, I said I was joking. Remember, we're all on the same side here. To paraphrase those ESPN commercials, please don't question my fanhood.

2. You're from the class of '80, so I know you saw a home victory against UNC during your time here and know how exciting that is. Can you please not be so dismissive of someone else who has never experienced this and desperately wants to? I have now tented for four years, adding up to a total of roughly FIVE MONTHS living in K-ville, including some Christmas break time--only to be heart-broken three years running. I don't regret those tenting experiences because I enjoy cheering on our team, win or lose, and because of the friendships formed in K-ville. And I know that Coach K has emphasized especially this year enjoying the team and being "excited" at our victories, not just "relieved," and so on, and I take that advice to heart. And of course, I was thrilled when we beat UNC on their court twice during my time here.

But that doesn't change the fact that the endings of those three tenting seasons have been severely disappointing (though surely moreso for the team than for me). I know after three seasons that believing in this team and saying I want UNC to give 100% and still get beaten isn't always enough. The thought of tenting for four years and losing all four times is tough to contemplate, but I still decided to come back and tent one more time. So, trust me, I'm not trying to cheapen a potential victory against UNC; all I was trying to say is that winning this game on Wednesday means far, far more to me than beating them at the Dean Dome, or any other game of the regular season, or frankly, any regular season game of the four years I've been here. Call me a bad fan or whatever, but I would consider losing in the Dean Dome in "exchange" for winning at Cameron a good deal.

Of course, this is all hypothetical fan-speak anyways, since UNC and Duke will both bring their A-games on Wednesday and we'll see who comes out on top. There's no guarantee that we'll win, though I appreciate that that's part of what makes it fun. I believe our team can do it. But I also know that I've said that the past three years too, and all the pre-game smack talk in the world hasn't meant much as we all walked dejectedly back to our dorm rooms after some painful losses. So I'm prepared for the worst, but hopeful for the best. Hopefully the fourth time's the charm!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2009, 03:15 PM
When fans for the same team sound as if they're turning on each other, the smack talk is having the desired effect. Taking such talk so seriously is bad karma for fans.

chrisheery
02-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I love these interviews. Ginyard's is better because it is clearly more thoughtful, which may just belie each persons' level of intelligence. But, this is a great story. It gives real honest insight into what these guys thought and felt at the time. The biggest complaint most people have as sports fans is that the players always give terse, rehearsed answers to every question. These guys lets us feel what they felt.

Further, they are very complimentary of Duke and Cameron during the entire interview. I don't think there is any disrespect intended. They realize how special it all is BECAUSE they were playing Duke.

(All that said, I really don't like Danny Green, seems like a bit of a punk.)

chrisheery
02-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I also like how Ginyard basically admitted that it was a charge and should have been called. Seems like even Roy thought it was a charge.

JDev
02-08-2009, 04:07 PM
The big difference IMO, Henderson is the player that other teams focus on, Green is more an afterthought (long after Hansbrough). But if you think Dancy Danny and Henderson are equivalent, no sane argument will change your mind.

I was thinking the same thing. I think Henderson is clearly better than Green, and I think if you look at Scheyer's last several games as a whole, and Ellington's, Ellington gets the clear nod there.
Danny's dancing cracks me up. Maybe I'm a bit old-school, but I kind of like the fact that you would never see that on Duke's sideline. I know the Heel argument is that he is just having fun, but that doesn't prevent its ridiculousness. Roy seems to like it, but K would not have it. I guess that is the difference in a "Gosh Darnit" guy and a "mother f****er" guy. Personally, I'm a "Mother F****er" guy.

Pardon the language.

Fish80
02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
1. Geez, lighten up, I said I was joking. Remember, we're all on the same side here. To paraphrase those ESPN commercials, please don't question my fanhood.

2. You're from the class of '80, so I know you saw a home victory against UNC during your time here and know how exciting that is. Can you please not be so dismissive of someone else who has never experienced this and desperately wants to? I have now tented for four years, adding up to a total of roughly FIVE MONTHS living in K-ville, including some Christmas break time--only to be heart-broken three years running. I don't regret those tenting experiences because I enjoy cheering on our team, win or lose, and because of the friendships formed in K-ville. And I know that Coach K has emphasized especially this year enjoying the team and being "excited" at our victories, not just "relieved," and so on, and I take that advice to heart. And of course, I was thrilled when we beat UNC on their court twice during my time here.

But that doesn't change the fact that the endings of those three tenting seasons have been severely disappointing (though surely moreso for the team than for me). I know after three seasons that believing in this team and saying I want UNC to give 100% and still get beaten isn't always enough. The thought of tenting for four years and losing all four times is tough to contemplate, but I still decided to come back and tent one more time. So, trust me, I'm not trying to cheapen a potential victory against UNC; all I was trying to say is that winning this game on Wednesday means far, far more to me than beating them at the Dean Dome, or any other game of the regular season, or frankly, any regular season game of the four years I've been here. Call me a bad fan or whatever, but I would consider losing in the Dean Dome in "exchange" for winning at Cameron a good deal.

Of course, this is all hypothetical fan-speak anyways, since UNC and Duke will both bring their A-games on Wednesday and we'll see who comes out on top. There's no guarantee that we'll win, though I appreciate that that's part of what makes it fun. I believe our team can do it. But I also know that I've said that the past three years too, and all the pre-game smack talk in the world hasn't meant much as we all walked dejectedly back to our dorm rooms after some painful losses. So I'm prepared for the worst, but hopeful for the best. Hopefully the fourth time's the charm!

Thank you for tenting and carrying on the Cameron Crazy traditions. My daughter is tenting now and has been for the same four years as you. You probably even know her. Heck, you may be in the same tent. :D

Believe me, I understand your commitment and sacrifice in support of our team.

We all want a win on Wednesday, especially on our home court. I wasn't questioning your fanhood. I just differ from you on the idea of splitting. I would not agree to a split or even contemplate a split. I want to fight for and win both of them.

But the whole concept is rather silly. We certainly don't have the option to choose which one we win, and as you say it's just a hypothetical.

Cheer us on to victory on Wednesday!