Jumbo
02-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Miami?

House G
02-07-2009, 04:05 PM
David McClure=Mr. Intangible

calltheobvious
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I simply can't cast a vote against Dave or Greg. Or Jon.

coldriver10
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Greg provided a great offensive lift, but McClure was everywhere. The rebounds, passing, defense...he gets my vote.

DukeFanInTerpLand
02-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Tough choice between Paulus, McClure and Scheyer. Went with David based on his rebounding, especially offensive, and his great denial defense late in the game and overtime on McClinton.

shadowfax336
I voted Paulus because it was amazing to see him finally come up big, and he hit that huge 3 towards the end of regulation/ generally gave us a fire that we badly needed, but a definite case could be made for McClure with his 7 offensive rebounds. We took 19 more shots from the field than Miami and McClure accounted for a huge part of that disparity with his 13 rebounds and 2 steals.

rthomas
1st half nobody
2nd half everybody

geraldsneighbor
Greg is the emotional and vocal leader. Today he got everything going. Lord knows how many minutes the new starting 5 logged.

Troublemaker
Dave. The game changed when LT picked up his 3rd foul early in the second and Dave came in. He only scored 2 points but his offensive rebounding, screening, and passing improved the offensive flow in addition to his typical hustle, defense, and rebounding.

pamtar
02-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I tried to post a poll that only offered one selection: G, GP, Kyle, Dave, Jon. It didn't work. I refuse to vote!

That was the best effort of the year by Jon, GP, and Dave. But how can you not vote for Mr. Clutch? To make a decision would make me feel bad about myself.

captmojo
02-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Leadership quality gives my vote for Greg. Very honorable mentions to Jon and Dave.

JDev
02-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Dave and Jon were great, as was G, but I went with Greg. He was the hands-down emotional lift for the team, and he played outstanding. He hit some huge shots, and was very pesky on defense. Great to see the best of Greg again.

CameronBlue
02-07-2009, 04:13 PM
This is one of those games in which G's contribution will be overlooked because, as he continues to seperate himself from most of his ACC breathern what he does on the court comes so effortlessly. I voted for Paulus, for his compassion, his heart and his offensive production. Greg's limited in what he can do on the court and for that reason I think K decided to bring him off the bench this season. Lord knows how many times he's been posterized as the only defender on a 3 on 1 fastbreak much to the enjoyment of our ACC opponents. He's mocked, ridiculed and booed with every manner of profanity. But he keeps getting up and coming back for more. After the Clemson game, Duke needed his heart on the court.

taiw93
02-07-2009, 04:14 PM
I went w/ Greg, however Jon, Dave and G deserve credit. Especially G, who took over during our comeback run, and made several clutch shots.

JDev
02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
This is one of those games in which G's contribution will get overlooked because, as continues to seperate himself from most of his ACC breathern what he does on the court comes so effortless.

Agreed. As K said in his post-game comments, the game really started to turn when G began to penetrate and make plays in the lane and open things up a bit. Still voted for Greg as well.

EarlJam
Tough call here (I need a Xanax by the way), and you can't argue with any of the votes, but without Henderson, we don't get that spark in the second half that ignighted the team.

Also, he hit some very clutch shots in OT.

Lastly, I almost want to vote for McClinton (sp).
-EJ

Cameron
I have to go with, once again, Greg Paulus. He might have struggled shooting a bit (4-of-12 3PT), but he hit his shots when they counted and played HUGE on the defensive side of the ball, picking up three steals and at important moments in the game. Paulus also went for five boards (three offensive). He played a hell of an all around game today, really seeing the floor well. He only finished with two assists, but it was so evident that our offense ran much smoother when Greg was out on the floor.

I liked Greg getting the start (obviously), and I think it should happen more. Like Mike Gminiski (and Cameron) has said several times during games this season, Greg just gives this team that "extra push" when he's out on the floor. He's our emotional, Chris Collins-like leader out there. Our team feeds off his heart, hustle, and never back down personality. I love it, and want to see more of it (Yes, after reading this sentence again, I am aware that its sounds like I am quoting Shania Twain.)

If he gets the nod more, his shots will start to fall like they were a season ago. He's a tough kid and one of the best shooters this school has ever had; it will come back. Look how clutch he was today.

I'm not sure this team will win on Wednesday, but we will need Greg to play big in order to have a chance.

Cameron
02-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Greg is the emotional and vocal leader.

It's good to know this can now be said without being lambasted here..

Why is it good? Because it's true.

Madrasdukie
02-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Incredible leadership by Greg !! My vote is for him - no question.

Hats off to every player who made plays under big time pressure.

sivartrenrag
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I will be upset if Paulus isn't starting on Wednesday. We need his heart to win against a team like Carolina. Without his hustle and leadership we won't have a chance. Nolan might come in quick for defensive reasons but I think Paulus should be on the starting five, if only to make a statement.

Anyway, I voted for Scheyer. It felt so good to see him making shots again. We're going to need that for the rest of the season.

mgtr
02-07-2009, 04:30 PM
As others have noted, five different people qualify. Greg really deserves it, particularly after all the grief he has taken in this forum. However, I thought that McClure showed why so many people like to watch him play -- he got my vote.

mike88
02-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Dave McClure just played one of the great games in Duke history. Greg and Jon hit some big shots, but the difference in the game was Dave's defense and rebounding.

pamtar
02-07-2009, 04:41 PM
OK, I finally broke down and voted for Greg.

EarlJam
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Agreed. As K said in his post-game comments, the game really started to turn when G began to penetrate and make plays in the lane and open things up a bit. Still voted for Greg as well.

Where can you find a transcript or video of the post game comments????

-EarlJam - VOTE G! HE WAS "THE SPARK"

killerleft
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Really, really wanted to vote for Dave, what a game. Really wanted to vote for G and Jon, too. Paulus got my vote. Great to have several choices.

CameronBlue
02-07-2009, 04:44 PM
OK, I finally broke down and voted for Greg.

I dunno if we can squeeze one more on the bandwagon...."Hey guys, Poindexter wants on, ya think?" What the hey, sure, welcome aboard! :>)

JDev
02-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Where can you find a transcript or video of the post game comments????

-EarlJam - VOTE G! HE WAS "THE SPARK"

I was just listening to Bob Harris interview K is the post-game show.

BlueintheFace
02-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I HAD to vote for Greg because I thought he bent this game to his will like no other player on the floor. No one player shot much better than the others, but Greg had more big shots. Plus, he had a few HUGE steals (one in overtime), played decent defense, and even pulled down some very important rebounds. He was just everywhere.

G, Dave, and Jon were right there on that next level, and each had some huge plays.

3rd Dukie
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I simply can't cast a vote against Dave or Greg. Or Jon.

Same here. No vote from me.

CarterTheGreat
02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Voted for Dave. We WOULD NOT have won this game had it not been for him, on both ends of the floor.

That said, GP was very close to getting it today, as was Jon, who showed a huge amount of heart today to keep shooting even when slumping.

I think today's win gives us a good picture of who our 5 should be: Jon, G, GP, KS, and DM.

merry
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I had to vote for Greg because I think he was the difference maker today. That said, Dave McClure was amazing. He was everywhere the ball was, pulling down rebounds, tipping the ball or grabbing tipped balls, and he was the primary defender on McClinton. Greg was able to have the game he had in a large part due to McClure. Gee maybe I should change my vote! :eek:

Gerald and Kyle and Jon all had clutch moments, especially Gerald and Kyle getting the first two baskets in the OT - those were critical points.

There was a moment toward the end of this game where the crowd was louder than any I've heard this year. I'm hoping for many such loud moments on Wednesday night.

1Devil
02-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I thought this was a close call between Scheyer and Paulus. I voted Paulus, but I'm surprised Scheyer isn't getting more votes.

dyedwab
02-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I ended up voting for Greg, primarily because his offensive contributions were greater. But both Dave and Greg were the keys, for me, because they seemed to get to every loose ball, get their hands on passes, etc. and seemed to just dig deeper in way that let the team follow there lead.

Great effort on both their parts

Dukiedevil
02-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I voted for Henderson because he basically got the score manageable again nearly by himself and hit what should have been a dagger at the end of the first half and the shot that put the game out of reach in OT. As I suspected, Paulus got a huge chunk of the vote because he scored much more than he has... Even though he jacked up a lot of really bad shots.

WojoSay?
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
GP, DM, JS, and GH all deserve a vote. I had to go with GP because there was so much fire in his eyes today.

Side question: What has been the highest vote participation this season. This poll seems to be getting a lot of attention today :)

GO DUKE!

weezie
02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Lastly, I almost want to vote for McClinton (sp).
-EJ

Greg got my vote. He simply decided we weren't going to lose. Plenty of credit to G, Jon and Kyle, of course, but Greg gave them stability and the heart.

We were waiting around after the game inside Cameron when Jack McClinton walked towards the Miami families. I called out to him and complimented his play and he was very gracious and polite. A nice guy who I hope gets a good shot in the NBA.

I kind of have the feeling that the Duke team might vote for Greg, too,

DukieInKansas
02-07-2009, 06:32 PM
It was between Greg & Dave for me - had to go with my heart and voted for Greg between the two. Sure would have liked to split my vote. :)

jv001
02-07-2009, 07:18 PM
went to Greg for playing an inspired game after getting the start. He hit a really big shot late in the game. I think we were one down and he came off a screeen at the top of the circle and never hesitated. However my vote could have gone to Gerald, Jon, Dave, Kyle or Greg. All played great in the 2nd half. The offensive rebounding by Dave was critical in this win. Go Duke!

fitimi1
02-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I voted for Paulus due to his leadership in today's game. That being said, no way could we have won without McClure's rebounding intensity.

It was so great to see Paulus step up. Was watching the game with some other Dukies at a watch party and prior to the game we were discussing the Clemson game etc and one astute person pointed out that he thought that no one had yet stepped up to become the leader. It seems to me that that was answered today.

concrete
02-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I will be upset if Paulus isn't starting on Wednesday. We need his heart to win against a team like Carolina. Without his hustle and leadership we won't have a chance. Nolan might come in quick for defensive reasons but I think Paulus should be on the starting five, if only to make a statement.

Anyway, I voted for Scheyer. It felt so good to see him making shots again. We're going to need that for the rest of the season.

Totally disagree, I guess people forgot who started the game and who played most of the minutes when we were down. Sure he hit some big shots and brought us to victory but it was against Miami who we should be beating.

If we play UNC and he starts and plays the majority of the minutes we will lose bad, Ty Lawson will eat him alive on both ends of the court. Greg played well in the 2nd half because he realized Miami has a "nobody" at PG.

WojoSay?
02-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Totally disagree, I guess people forgot who started the game and who played most of the minutes when we were down. Sure he hit some big shots and brought us to victory but it was against Miami who we should be beating.

If we play UNC and he starts and plays the majority of the minutes we will lose bad, Ty Lawson will eat him alive on both ends of the court. Greg played well in the 2nd half because he realized Miami has a "nobody" at PG.

Paulus started this game and played 40 min. in comparison to Nolan's 7 min.

CameronBlue
02-07-2009, 09:32 PM

I don't think that those who have been supporting Paulus and found today's performance a measure of vindication for that support, feel today's game has cured all the teams' ills at point guard. It was not the competition that defined the importance of today's game, it was the timing and Greg was the man of the moment. I don't think the Paulus supporters here believe however he is the man for all seasons, regular and post. Duke needs them both to play well and Smith has to figure out how to get the team to respond to him at least as well as they responded to Greg today.

ncexnyc
02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Several worthy candidates in G, Jon, and Greg, however I gave David my vote for the unreal number of boards he snagged, many coming on the offensive end, which covered up for another ghastly shooting performance by the team.

gep
02-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I could only listen to Bob Harris on the radio (internet feed), and watch the ESPN gamecast. I was a bit surprised that Greg started, but I had a good feeling when that happened. Then, the 1st half... what a downer. But I think Greg was the heart and fight of the team today. Of course, we needed G's burst, Jon's scoring, and most of all Dave's rebounding... all tangible assets. But I felt Greg defined the spirit of the team. He had my vote before the game even ended;)

gumbomoop
02-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Probably 4 co-winners.

As a season-long, and long-winded, DMc fanatic, I hereby summarize why he's always so valuable as a complementary player: (1) Now that he's healthy (finally), he's an excellent athlete. (2) He has a nose for the ball, so he gets many flicks that are the equivalent of a rebound or steal, thus giving us extra possessions. (3) He's relentless, an attribute at the top of my list in most sports. (4, 5, & 6) DMc blocks out.

dukelifer
02-07-2009, 11:39 PM
McClure kept Duke in the game by giving the Devils second chances. He is becoming a star rebounder and if that is all he does- he helps this team significantly. A close second was Paulus for his O and nailing a key three down the stretch.

78Devil
02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I voted for McClure, and would still vote that way, but I watched the game again on ESPN360 today, and Gerald Henderson getting his scoring spurt in the second half -- right after we were down by the largest margin -- is a big part of what made the difference. Otherwise, McClure would have continued to labor in vain since no one could score, and Paulus' intensity would have just highlighted the frustration of everyone else....

Newton_14
02-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I went with Paulus this time. Probably should be a tie with the 5 guys that played the last 9 minutes or so, as they all made key contributions.

But I give a slight nod to Greg. He overcame a season's worth of adversity yesterday and came up huge.

Supporting Facts:
- Scored 18 points
- Hit the biggest shot of the day when he nailed the 3 to take the lead back with less than 2 to go
- Had a key steal after diving to make a strip, and got the layup that was a huge part of the mini 8 point run in 30 seconds
- Sucked the Miami guy right into the flagrant foul and took a nasty elbow to the chest
- Took one for the team when the press got beat and he was the last line of defense. Rather than conceding the dunk, he made every effort his body would allow to try to stop it and got dunked on, but sent a loud message to the team that every shot would be challenged no matter what the cost
- Got at least 2 key rebounds in overtime
- Made 2 critical free throws
- And finally, rose up as a leader in the very midst of the heat of the battle

So kudos to Greg Paulus, on this day, you were our "MAN of the Match"