PDA

View Full Version : Cousins and Vinson

chrisheery
02-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Both players decommitted recently. We were in the running for them before. Are we still going to look at them?

Anyone know?

wolfpackdevil
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Both players decommitted recently. We were in the running for them before. Are we still going to look at them?

Anyone know?

If you are talking about Demarcus Cousins, then that is a no.

Demarcus has cut his list to NC State, Memphis, K-State, Rice and Washington.

He is a very good player.

I do not know about the other player

shotrocksplitter
02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
scout.com still shows Terrell Vinson as moderately interested in Duke, though we haven't made an offer.

he's a 4-star PF from Baltimore.

geraldsneighbor
02-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Can't imagine us signing a 3rd PF.

CDu
02-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Can't imagine us signing a 3rd PF.

Agreed. We have two big-time PF recruits coming in, and we'll have a bunch of bigs returning next year whether Singler stays or not (hopefully he stays). It would seem odd to recruit a third guy at that spot.

What we might just need a bit more is a backup (or starting) PG, because as of right now our only options are Smith, Scheyer, and Jordan Davidson.

Diddy
02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Cousins could prove bothersome for Duke. He is looking hard at Memphis, and is generally considered to be favoring Calipari's squad.

If he did that, along with Xavier Henry and other good recruits, Wall might opt for Memphis as part of a super recruiting class. Especially when you consider that Memphis would have the no 1 SG, C, and PG in one class. One and dones all, but they would be absolutely loaded for Bear in a year without a true elite team nationally.

The one chink in that armor is Tyreke Evans, currently a frosh at Memphis. Projected as a one and done, he has underwhelmed, as have most other frosh this year. Tyreke was recently moved to PG at Memphis, as he really needs to dominate the ball. He needs to return for his soph year, and learn to shoot. If he were to stay, Memphis is real unattractive to Wall.

Even if Evans leaves, Duke still has a chance with Wall, due to proximity. But it gets dicey for us if Memphis really loads up.

As for Cousins, I would love it Duke got him. But he was widely seen as being in the bag for Davis at UAB for years, and K wisely did not waste time recruiting him. No one could have forseen how the UAB thing would shake out, so we can't fault K.

Also, while Cousins IS talented, he would never unpack his bags in Durham. I wouldn't turn him away if he was desperate to come, but neither would I wast time recruiting him.

jacalcio18
02-06-2009, 02:37 PM
We don't need either of these scrubs. We'll have enough size for next year.

Diddy
02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
We don't need either of these scrubs. We'll have enough size for next year.

Add Cousins to next years team and we are THE team to beat. He is tall, big, and skilled. Willing to do the dirty work down low. Very much in the Brand, Boozer mold.

Get him, and one of our already committed bigs has trouble getting on the court even if Kyle leaves.

We'll be fine without him, but he is no scrub. Vinson, eh. I don't see him as a scrub, but neither will he help the squad that much next year. If we were to lose Kyle and G, he might help, but he would cost us a shot at Barnes.

jimsumner
02-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Duke was never seriously involved with Cousins and had only a marginal interest in Vinson. Neither was ever offered and neither ever visited.

Current interest in either is non-existent.

Faison1
02-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Duke was never seriously involved with Cousins and had only a marginal interest in Vinson. Neither was ever offered and neither ever visited.

Current interest in either is non-existent.

I'm pretty sure Vinson took in a game at CIS....most likely an unofficial, but I remember him being down there......I believe Watson even interviewed him and took a pic in the stands......but that's all memory and subject to skew