PDA

View Full Version : WBB Duke vs. UVA

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
The Duke women take on a ranked Virginia team tonight at 7 in hostile territory. The last time the men lost, the women followed up with a loss of their own, tonight might not be any different. UVA has a very good team and the crowd will be on their side of course. I will be watching with interest to see how we handle a large lead if we are lucky enough to get one. The last two games we have squandered them away, at FSU with losing results. As always, the ladies have to protect the ball when they have it, and play smart on offense. We need a basketball victory to start the weekend off with, GO DUKE!!

--game not on TV but can be seen on ACCselect.

jtelander
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Will the radio broadcast be streamed?

If so, a link would be appreciated.

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Will the radio broadcast be streamed?

If so, a link would be appreciated.
The only streaming audio I know of is insideaccess at goduke.com but the audio is horrible for the women's games. The video feed for one game on ACCselect is 5.95 and available here. http://www.theacc.com/accselect/index.html

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
33-25 halftime, Duke lead.
Had to stage a comeback, supposedly we started ugly, we were down 13-2. I missed the first 10 minutes, but got to watch them come from behind to get the 8 point lead we have now. 9 turnovers for the half, which sounds better than we've been doing. Pretty decent shooting, but 0-6 from the 3. Bleah!
Looking forward to the women coming out strong and building on the lead we have now. GO DUKE!!

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
The ACC Select announcers are "shocked" at all the fouls being called against UVA. It's pretty funny, every time they get tapped they say it should be a foul, but are amazed when Chante Black gets flattened on defense under the basket that it's a charge. Apparantly Duke gets all the calls in women's basketball too.

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
The announcer (apparently it is UVA's broadcast crew, I hope) just said
"In all honesty, this is mumblessomething favoritsm". So he just flat out accused the refs of cheating in favor of Duke. Classy statement there buddy.

Duke is playing some of the best basketball they have played all year right now, we lead by 12.

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2009, 09:03 PM
14 point win, but with little time left we were up by 20, call it a blowout. Tonight was an amazing performance from the entire team. Our rebounding was insane, and stands out why we were able to dominate so much, but we also took much better care of the ball. Tonight, we looked for the first time like a team that can earn a spot in the Final Four. Way to go ladies, excellent game!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Really do appreciate your keeping me abreast of the women. Everybody needed this win tonight. When DukePA gets home from her Chinese dinner, she'll be glad to see the news, won't she.

Love, Ima

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Really do appreciate your keeping me abreast of the women. Everybody needed this win tonight. When DukePA gets home from her Chinese dinner, she'll be glad to see the news, won't she.

Love, Ima
She watched the online broadcast too, while her man played delivery boy. What a great birthday she gets! I bet her fortune cookie says "GTHC".
You're welcome for the updates, I enjoy the women as much as the men, especially when they win!

DukePA
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
She watched the online broadcast too, while her man played delivery boy. What a great birthday she gets! I bet her fortune cookie says "GTHC".
You're welcome for the updates, I enjoy the women as much as the men, especially when they win!

GTHC, GTH!!!! That was fun!! I love Duke! I love my DBR buddies! I love Merlot! (I'm on my second glass :D )

GrayHare
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
The ACC Select announcers are "shocked" at all the fouls being called against UVA. It's pretty funny, every time they get tapped they say it should be a foul, but are amazed when Chante Black gets flattened on defense under the basket that it's a charge. Apparantly Duke gets all the calls in women's basketball too.

There were some no-calls that certainly could have gone against Duke, but the same could be said of UVa. There were also a couple of mad scrambles for the ball that resulted in fouls against Duke that could have easily gone against UVa. It's all part of the great mystery that is wbb officiating.

On the other hand, Karima's intentional foul on a run-out was clearly a mental error on her part. Coach nearly compounded it by holding a team huddle on the court during the shots. The UVa fans were screaming for a T that was never called, although I think Gonzalez cautioned her about it.

bird
02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
I was there.

1. Jasmine Thomas is a really good basketball player who had a really good night. Also took and made shots at several particularly important moments, at the end of the first half and then to respond to a UVA rally in the second. Quick, skilled, "tough" in a Bilasian way.

2. Abby's outside shot was almost nonexistent (0-5 3pt shooting, with one long made 2 pt jumper), but she was proving particularly adept at making the entry pass and otherwise being a creative force on offense (which this team needs). She had team-high minutes. She also had some Ferry-like moments on the defensive end, if you know what I mean.

3. The offensive start was just awful. The nightmarish feeling of replaying the men's game was creeping over me. Then the team went into a full court zone trap, UVA started turning the ball over, Duke started being more aggressive on offense, making shots and gaining confidence. Classic situation of defense fueling offense, and relying on defense on the road to pull you through shooting struggles.

4. Coach P continues to show good stuff. Going to the zone trap in the first half, and riding out the horrid offensive start, was good. Execution on the defensive side was really good, the 3-2 zone used at times indicated good scouting and preparation, and I particularly liked some really tough rebounds. The team plays hard. The offense at times was lousy, and I don't feel enough in touch with her recruiting to comment there, but the fingerprints of coaching competance were all over this game.

Rudy
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Great to see Jasmine play well. I saw her play several times in h.s. and was delighted Duke and she chose each other. I saw Monica Wright play once, too, when she was a h.s. sophomore, I think, and she's a terrific player too.
I'm not sure if those two played against each other, but probably so since their teams went to the State Elite 8 at least once when they were playiing.