PDA

View Full Version : AP Story - Duke - Clemson - Can someone explain this?

mr. synellinden
02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
The AP story on the Duke - Clemson game says this:

It was Duke's fewest points this season, and its lowest scoring performance since a 54-51 win over Indiana in 2006.

Does that make any sense? I mean, it is our lowest scoring performance since Sunday. And our lowest scoring performance since the Xavier game, and our lowest scoring performance since the WV game in the NCAA tournament last year, and our lowest scoring performance since the Indiana game in 2006.

Isn't the point that it is the lowest scoring performance since the last time we scored 46 points or less? When was that?

I really don't understand why the AP story references that game. Am I missing something here?

I can't find the original AP story on the Maryland game, but at first it said it was Maryland's biggest margin of defeat since a 39 point loss - but we beat them by 41. The story has been now corrected to reflect their worst loss since 1963, but what is going on with AP and these references to margins of victory.

Update: I just found it ... here it is: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jKDhX7IdLBqPXzOYLw-InOkXGHCAD95TMH000

It was Maryland's worst defeat since a 39-point loss to Wake Forest in 1963.

Bluedog
02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
The AP story on the Duke - Clemson game says this:

It was Duke's fewest points this season, and its lowest scoring performance since a 54-51 win over Indiana in 2006.

Does that make any sense? I mean, it is our lowest scoring performance since Sunday. And our lowest scoring performance since the Xavier game, and our lowest scoring performance since the WV game in the NCAA tournament last year, and our lowest scoring performance since the Indiana game in 2006.

Isn't the point that it is the lowest scoring performance since the last time we scored 46 points or less? When was that?

I really don't understand why the AP story references that game. Am I missing something here?

I can't find the original AP story on the Maryland game, but at first it said it was Maryland's biggest margin of defeat since a 39 point loss - but we beat them by 41. The story has been now corrected to reflect their worst loss since 1963, but what is going on with AP and these references to margins of victory.

Update: I just found it ... here it is: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jKDhX7IdLBqPXzOYLw-InOkXGHCAD95TMH000

It was Maryland's worst defeat since a 39-point loss to Wake Forest in 1963.

ha, that is funny. The AP article was written by Pete Iacobelli. Joedy McCreary or Aaron Beard (who write the AP recaps for games in North Carolina, although haven't heard much from Aaron Beard lately; I wonder what happened to him) wouldn't have made that mistake. I agree it doesn't make much sense.

Tom B.
02-05-2009, 05:16 PM

You have to go back to the 1994-95 Season From Hell, when Duke lost 51-44 at.... Clemson.

Incidentally, Duke didn't do much better the following year at Clemson, losing 51-48. But that was still one more point than Duke scored last night.

If you take the Season From Hell out of the mix and look for the last time a Krzyzewski-coached team scored 47 points or less, you have to go all the way back to a game against Georgia Tech in February of 1982. Duke actually won that game, though, 47-46.

The last time a Krzyzewski-coached team scored 47 points or less and lost was a month earlier in January of 1982, when Duke lost to Maryland by a score of 40-36.

Obviously, those 1982 games were in the pre-shot clock, pre-three point line era.