PDA

View Full Version : A friendly reminder

Jumbo
02-05-2009, 12:48 PM
When you post, you are representing a lot of things:
-Duke fans in general.
-The Duke program (like it or not, it's a sad fact of life in today's Internet age. This used to drive me nuts. Now I've come to accept it.)
-Most importantly, yourself.

So, please, think before you post. Think about whether what you're saying is really important and, if so, whether you can express your points in a measured way. I'm bummed out today, too. Last night was a shock to everyone's system, because we haven't seen anything like that in 19 years. But please, please, please maintain the same poise you'd like to see the team display.

Thanks.

Kathy S
02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for this reminder, Jumbo. Would love to see you post your reflections on the game itself (when the pain has subsided a bit) in an appropriate thread. Thanks for all you do for the boards.

dukepsy1963
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Hear, hear!!!

Duke fans have class!! Let's show it!

I can't begin to tell you how many disappointments I have had since I became a Duke fan many years ago (long before I became a Duke student). But that is part of being a fan...you win some, you lose some. I could tell you some stories of Duke-UNC games that would curl your hair (especially during the sixties)! It's just the price you pay!

But never, never forget to show your class!!! A good part of the sports world is watching!

bjornolf
02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
To paraphrase spongebob:

"Jumbo, your class is showing!"

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Well said. I was dreading reading the boards last night and today, but on the whole I think folks took it as it was and expressed themselves notably for experiencing such a mind boggling loss. I half expected the boards to be shut down, I know you mods were awfully busy keeping the threads in line. Kudos to y'all for doing it.

LetItBD08
02-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Just out of curiousity, would it be possible to figure out how many people are viewing the message boards at a given time? After the last two Duke losses, it seems that it took a lot longer to get onto DBR. I wonder if a rather significant amount of lurking traffic is coming in from opposing teams' fan bases. (You know you guys do it to IC after a Carolina loss even if you don't want to admit it.) Just more of a reason to stay classy.

dukegirlinsc
02-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Amen to this. Some posts and responses can be a little disheartening to read after a tough loss. :confused:

JBDuke
02-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Just out of curiousity, would it be possible to figure out how many people are viewing the message boards at a given time? After the last two Duke losses, it seems that it took a lot longer to get onto DBR. I wonder if a rather significant amount of lurking traffic is coming in from opposing teams' fan bases. (You know you guys do it to IC after a Carolina loss even if you don't want to admit it.) Just more of a reason to stay classy.

If you click on the "DBR Forums" link above the messages and under the ad banner, you'll go to the "front page" of the Forums. You can also get there by clicking on the "Bulletin Boards" link a little higher on the page, just under "Home" and "Headlines". On that page, down near the bottom, is a "What's Going On?" section that shows the current number of active users. You have to be a registered member to post, but guests can browse the forums. You can also see what the record number of active users is. (As of today, it's 767, set last March 22nd - the day we lost to WVU in the NCAAs.)

elvis14
02-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I have generally stayed away for a day after losses and I don't read the post game thread after losses. The negativity and loss of perspective gets to be a bit much for me. I'm upset about the last game but mostly I'm looking forward to the next game. The main reason I read this board over all others isn't the high volume (I liked it when there were fewer posters) it's the high quality of content. I hope I can continue to say that years from now win or lose.

BlueDevilJay
02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I have generally stayed away for a day after losses and I don't read the post game thread after losses. The negativity and loss of perspective gets to be a bit much for me. I'm upset about the last game but mostly I'm looking forward to the next game. The main reason I read this board over all others isn't the high volume (I liked it when there were fewer posters) it's the high quality of content. I hope I can continue to say that years from now win or lose.

Amen, I've tried to do the same the night of/day after a Duke loss. I avoid SportsCenter as well at all costs, especially after the Clemson debacle. I try to give myself a good 24 hours to get rid of the emotions of taking a tough loss, and then when I'm thinking a bit more clearly, come in and post my thoughts. I am so ready for Duke v Miami tomorrow I can hardly wait. Time for us to turn the visit to Portajohn into a motivator, and take it out on the Canes tomorrow, and the holes on Wednesday.

MChambers
02-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Just thought this thread deserved to go back to the top.

jv001
02-07-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm glad that I was out of town for the Clemson game. Had a chance to calm down alittle. Go Duke!

Newton_14
02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Jumbo- Thanks. This thread should stay on the front page IMHO.

First, I have occasionally read 2 other blogs from other schools, and I am amazed at how they continually "rip" their players and coaches in those forums. I can honestly say that I have never read anything approaching that level on DBR.

That said, I have read posts here that I felt were a little too critical of players. I don't see it often, but occasionally. I feel we should be very careful when we start critizing the play of player "X" and avoid demoralizing comments directed at a named player. I just think we are walking a fine line there and should try to avoid it.