PDA

View Full Version : Rule Clarification - Touching the ball after a basket

Davidman77
02-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a rule that the team that just scored cannot touch the ball after it goes through the net? This is typically not called of course. However, I have noted several times when they have knocked the ball away after a basket allowing them extra time to set up the press. Why does noone on the team/staff tell the refs to monitor this? This is typically a warning after the first, then technicals. Am I wrong about this rule? Usually it doesn't matter, but when a team is trying to set up the press those 2 seconds make quite a difference.

allenmurray
02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a rule that the team that just scored cannot touch the ball after it goes through the net? This is typically not called of course. However, I have noted several times when they have knocked the ball away after a basket allowing them extra time to set up the press. Why does noone on the team/staff tell the refs to monitor this? This is typically a warning after the first, then technicals. Am I wrong about this rule? Usually it doesn't matter, but when a team is trying to set up the press those 2 seconds make quite a difference.

I believe that the rule is that they can not intentionally delay the game, not that they can not touch the ball. It is a judgement of the official. I have seen an official in a recent game (I can't remember which) give a warning to the coach abot this.

94duke
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I believe it would be Rule 4, Section 17, Delay.
Art. 1. A delay is any action that impedes the progress or continuity of the game. Such actions include, but are not limited to:
f. Attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a
goal or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after a whistle is blown (See Rule 10-3.11 and 10-6.1.m);
Art. 2. One team warning shall be given for each of the delays in Rule 4-17.1.d through g. Each warning shall be reported to the official scorer. Thereafter, a technical foul shall be assessed for the delay that has previously received a team warning.

allenmurray
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Art. 1. A delay is any action that impedes the progress or continuity of the game. Such actions include, but are not limited to:
goal or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after a whistle is blown (See Rule 10-3.11 and 10-6.1.m);
Art. 2. One team warning shall be given for each of the delays in Rule 4-17.1.d through g. Each warning shall be reported to the official scorer. Thereafter, a technical foul shall be assessed for the delay that has previously received a team warning.

I think the phrase that I put in bold type is what makes it not "automatic" but left to the judgement of the officials. Personally I think officials allow it to go on too much, and if a warning was given early in the game we would see that behavior lessen. That would improve the flow of the game.

CDu
02-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Correct. There is some wiggle room. You can touch the ball, but you are not supposed to interfere with the ball after a made basket. The official can call delay of game if he feels it was intentional and disrupts the flow of play. But it's a judgment call by the ref.

However, much like the way the travelling and palming violations have been gradually enforced more loosely over the years, so has the delay of game. I can understand catching the ball as it comes through the net instinctively, but it should be immediately released at that point. I remember one time when Wake made a basket, Chris Paul snatched the ball away from an opposing player, spun it around his waist twice, and then passed it to an official. There was no call.

The lack of enforcement of this rule has been a pet peeve of mine for several years now. It slows the game down and prevents a counterpunching team from counterpunching. It should be more strictly enforced.

shotrocksplitter
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
While it obviously isn't confined to last night's game, the lack of delay of game calls was depressing. Not only did Clemson knock the ball away a couple times as they began to set up thier press, but Purnell held the ball away from the ref at least twice as well. I felt that there could easily have been 3-4 team technicals assessed to Clemson for them.

Just another annoyance with refs....

Duke79UNLV77
02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
He used to get the 1 warning in quite a number of games when he needed a little breather getting back on defense.