PDA

View Full Version : I want all Duke fans to start noticing this....

EarlJam
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
First of all, we deserved to lose to Wake. We are currently being out-hustled by Clemson.

But a friend of mine who is neutral (He's a Marquette grad and fan) and I have noticed this over the past three games:

ON CLOSE CALLS THAT GO AGAINST DUKE, A REPLAY IS NEVER OR HARDLY EVER SHOWN!!!!

I'm not saying the calls are wrong, I'm just saying I'd like to see them on replay. Again, this is NOT something I, a loyal Duke fan, first noticed, rather, a Marquette fan.

This is not something I noticed. This was brought to my attention from my friend and I've noticed it since.

Anyway, discuss.

-EJ

Oriole Way
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
First of all, we deserved to lose to Wake. We are currently being out-hustled by Clemson.

But a friend of mine who is neutral (He's a Marquette grad and fan) and I have noticed this over the past three games:

I'm not saying the calls are wrong, I'm just saying I'd like to see them on replay. Again, this is NOT something I, a loyal Duke fan, first noticed, rather, a Marquette fan.

This is not something I noticed. This was brought to my attention from my friend and I've noticed it since.

Anyway, discuss.

-EJ

This is true. Two of the most blatant goaltending calls I have ever seen missed occurred against Wake (Gerald's short hook shot) and tonight against Clemson (Pocius' drive). Pretty sure neither replay was shown, although I could be wrong.

geraldsneighbor
02-04-2009, 10:01 PM
This is true. Two of the most blatant goaltending calls I have ever seen missed occurred against Wake (Gerald's short hook shot) and tonight against Clemson (Pocius' drive). Pretty sure neither replay was shown, although I could be wrong.

Yeah, they didn't show the replay tonight, but when your turning the ball over at the pace we are, you deserve to be blown out.

Lulu
02-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Said the same a hundred times. ESPN loves to show when another team might have gotten shafted on a call vs Duke, but will never show a bad call where Duke got screwed. It would take the play-by-play or color guy demanding it live.

But... I ask myself... would I have shown a replay of that goaltend if it were UNC taking the shot instead of Duke. I sure wouldn't want to, so that's what you get when you have people who dislike Duke and probably still promote the Duke-gets-all-the-calls theory calling in the replays.

pamtar
02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
We should drink every time this scenario unfolds.:D

PS - while typing this post I inadvertently combined 'every' and 'time.' Mozilla spell check offered the word 'overtime' as a suggestion...

Clipsfan
02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
I have to say, some of the calls so far tonight could be argued about (most of the blocks/charges have gone against Duke, and none have been replayed), but the goaltending was blatant and the rule is set in stone. If the ball hits the backboard, it is goaltending. I don't know how the refs defend missing something like that. Btw, I have been replaying the blocks/calls, and the Duke players have been in position on most of them. The only thing I can see is that they sometimes lean forward slightly late, but their feet are set.

willywoody
02-04-2009, 11:13 PM
We should drink every time this scenario unfolds.:D

i'm drunk.

alteran
02-05-2009, 09:39 AM
-EJ

I've noticed it for years. It's primarily if not exclusively ESPN.

Good to know non-dukies see it as well (sometimes).

94duke
02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Under Men's Changes for 2008-2009 (p. 13)

Goaltending. 4-34.3. When the entire ball is above the level of the ring
during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be
on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is
touched by a player.

The entire rule is Rule 4, Section 34 (p.74)

Section 34. Goaltending
Art. 1. Goaltending shall have occurred when a player touches the ball
during a field-goal try and each of the following conditions is met:
a. The ball is in its downward flight; and
b. The entire ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility,
while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the
cylinder.
Art. 2. It is goaltending to touch the ball outside the cylinder during a free
throw, regardless of whether the free throw is on its upward or downward
flight.
Art. 3. When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal
try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight.
In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player.

I don't recall if the ball was above the rim when it was blocked. If it was below the rim, it would not be goaltending. If it was above the rim, it should have been goaltending.

-Joe

Oh Canada
02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
You're point is valid but atleast Duke's on enough times to even have this conversation. How many other schools just wish to be on national television once a year. I think we just need to be grateful for that.

dukegirlinsc
02-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I actually made a comment about that last night...I found it odd myself...

bjornolf
02-07-2009, 07:07 PM
During the Miami game today on Fox here in DC, they showed the replay where the Miami player knocked it out of bounds over McClure and the ref gave it to Miami. Steve Martin even commented that it definitely should have been Duke's ball. They also showed "the elbow" a few times from different angles to show intent. While there were a few others I wanted to see again, I was pleased to see those two shown.

UrinalCake
02-08-2009, 02:17 AM
I've noticed this myself, particularly on ESPN. To take it a step farther, I've seen lots of cases where they start to show a replay, and it becomes apparent from what we're seeing that it was a bad call against Duke, and they immediately cut away from the replay, and/or the commentators just start talking about something else. It's happened enough times that it can't be random happenstance, and I really do try to be neutral in observing things like this (at least I think so).

ESPN and their coverage team can have a strong effect on the perception of Duke by the casual fan, both good and bad. Though as another poster said, we should at least be glad we're on TV.

captmojo
02-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Keep in mind that the TV folks don't really want to "show up" the officials.

Acymetric
02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I was watching the sportscenter recap this morning (not listening, was at the gym). If they mentioned the Miami player getting ejected they didn't show any video of it. Whats up with that?

alteran
02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
I was watching the sportscenter recap this morning (not listening, was at the gym). If they mentioned the Miami player getting ejected they didn't show any video of it. Whats up with that?

Maybe ESPN is trying to get back to showing the sports, and just the sports, not the drama footage. :cool:

alteran
02-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Keep in mind that the TV folks don't really want to "show up" the officials.

I'll remember that during Len Elmore's next 40-minute snarkfest on pro-Duke calls.

FWIW, my paranoia is largely limited to ESPN. I do agree that most non-ESPN commentators try to lay off the officials except in the most egregious circumstances.