PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Jawhawk Stickers

Wander
02-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Someone needs to find about ten thousand copies of that KU sticker that Roy wore in the tournament last year and give one to every student and fan who walks into the UNC game next week.

allenmurray
02-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Someone needs to find about ten thousand copies of that KU sticker that Roy wore in the tournament last year and give one to every student and fan who walks into the UNC game next week.

If you can get me a ticket to the game, I'll be glad to hand them out!!

zingit
02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh, man, that is a GOOD one. I was thinking that we've sort of worn out the pedicure joke ("Ty-ler Hans-brough paints his toes!" is one of my all-time faves) and wondering what we could do this year. Hopefully a line monitor is reading this.

DukieInKansas
02-04-2009, 02:02 PM

You get me a ticket and I'll bring them with me! (If I can get time off work.)

DukieInKansas

MulletMan
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh, man, that is a GOOD one. I was thinking that we've sort of worn out the pedicure joke ("Ty-ler Hans-brough paints his toes!" is one of my all-time faves) and wondering what we could do this year. Hopefully a line monitor is reading this.

I mean... you don't NEED one of the line monitors to get something going in Cameron. Really, my best days came before I actually had responsibility in Cameron.

davekay1971
02-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I love that idea.

As far as Hansbrough directed chants, if I don't hear something wafting through my TV referencing Vanilla T's free-style rapping, I'll be sorely disappointed.

"draining threes like he's in the shower." Too good to be true...

zingit
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I mean... you don't NEED one of the line monitors to get something going in Cameron. Really, my best days came before I actually had responsibility in Cameron.

I just meant that as much as I think it's a good idea, I am not willing to personally put up several hundred dollars to get a ton of these stickers. (That's what it seems like it would cost from my brief search on google.) Even if I split it with some friends, it's still more work and money than I'd like to put in. I was thinking the LMs might be able to collaborate with some other student organizations (the Union? Crazies Who Care?) to buy them, and maybe even sell them to students to earn the money back or raise money for charity. Just a thought.

21fish
02-04-2009, 02:44 PM
students can easily print (for free in black and white) a ton of kansas jayhawks to pass out to the student section. maybe we could even pass around some tape so people can put the jayhawk on their clothes. it wouldn't be as nice as having actual stickers, but it wouldn't cost anything.

also, i've heard from talking to several students that a lot of things, including "freestyling", are in store for psycho t (or should we call him the tower of power?)

throatybeard
02-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Gyus, I don't understand the reason for doing this. This is Roy's 6th season at North Carolina as HC. This Kansas stuff made sense in 2004, but at this point, it's about as current as an I Said No to Dean shirt. Am I wrong?

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Gyus, I don't understand the reason for doing this. This is Roy's 6th season at North Carolina as HC. This Kansas stuff made sense in 2004, but at this point, it's about as current as an I Said No to Dean shirt. Am I wrong?

Stickergate is not even a year old, it happened in last year's Final Four.

http://share.triangle.com/sites/share-uda.triangle.com/files/roy.jpg

throatybeard
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Wasn't he supporting them in the Memphis game after he'd been eliminated? I just didn't/don't see what the big deal is.

Cell-R
02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Wasn't he supporting them in the Memphis game after he'd been eliminated? I just didn't/don't see what the big deal is.

People make fun of North Carolina saying that Roy still supports the team that he used to coach just as much as UNC. UNC fought as hard as they could against Kansas, and ended up with the largest deficit in final four history (12-40). After battling their way back into the game they proceeded to lose anyways. The next day Roy Williams is seen wearing the sticker supporting his former team, the one that just beat the crap out of his supposed "National Championship" team.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM

You're right, it wasn't really a big deal, but UNC fans got pretty worked up about Williams staying at the FF and cheering on KU. Then the press got all into it and it became this bizarre storyline they kept at the week after the FF.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24752

shotrocksplitter
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM

He sent his team home before that game, so they couldn't be there with him, then showed support for the team that beat his. Two bs things for a coach to do.

As stated before, he's been with Carolina for years, surely he supports them more than Kansas?

jimmymax
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
About as relevant as the lame "Duke Curse" that made the front page again today...

shotrocksplitter
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
About as relevant as the lame "Duke Curse" that made the front page again today...

Cite or it didn't happen!

Duvall
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM

Yeah, this is kind of lame. Stickergate was funny, but it wasn't that funny. And making fun of a team for a loss in the Final Four runs the risk of making you look really stupid.

brevity
02-04-2009, 06:36 PM
And making fun of a team for a loss in the Final Four runs the risk of making you look really stupid.

Taking advantage of Stickergate isn't really about Duke or Carolina. It's about Roy Williams.

Ol' Roy deserved the ridicule (from Carolina, and the sports world at large) because he was trying to have it both ways. He desperately wants to be loved by both schools and their fan bases. And he can't let go. We should totally make fun of that.

If it weren't so suffocating in Cameron, I'd recommend everyone wear black turtlenecks and a Jayhawk sticker. Maybe black T-shirts? It would be a stunning display -- the Crazies have their cheers, but they don't exploit the concept of visual solidarity nearly enough.

Indoor66
02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
IMO the sticker issue has nothing to do with the Duke-unc rivalry. It is a unc issue and does not involve us.

Wouldn't we be better served reserving this energy for cheering for Duke rather than against a unc issue? Who cares about Deputy Dawg and his Jayhawk matters?

jdk
02-04-2009, 06:57 PM
It becomes an issue when Roy Williams refers to Coach K, "I don't give a crap what somebody else says, but coach their own **** team, I'll coach my team."

SupaDave
02-04-2009, 06:57 PM
IMO the sticker issue has nothing to do with the Duke-unc rivalry. It is a unc issue and does not involve us.

Wouldn't we be better served reserving this energy for cheering for Duke rather than against a unc issue? Who cares about Deputy Dawg and his Jayhawk matters?

Part of cheering for Duke involves, ironically, cheering against Carolina...

RelativeWays
02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
A "lets go Jayhawks" chant when huckleberry hound is introduced awork just as well. Also a "you're not perfect" chant for beaker would be great at the end and a Duke victory is assured. The man cannot leave CIS 4-0...he cannot.

brevity
02-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Part of cheering for Duke involves, ironically, cheering against Carolina...

Agreed. I'm always amused with the Crazies' GTHC chants in games where the Heels are nowhere near the building.

juise
02-04-2009, 07:48 PM
A "lets go Jayhawks" chant when huckleberry hound is introduced awork just as well. Also a "you're not perfect" chant for beaker would be great at the end and a Duke victory is assured. The man cannot leave CIS 4-0...he cannot.

We did "Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk" my senior year (Roy's first). I think that pointing specifically to "stickergate" is sorta clever, but just giving Roy a hard time about his Kansas ties doesn't seem like much of a poke.