PDA

View Full Version : TIVO ALERT! 9 Duke-Carolina games next week on ESPN Classic

MattyB.
02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
In what has become a tradition the last several years, as part of ESPN's promotion of their "Rivalry Week," ESPN Classic will air NINE (at least, by my count) Duke-Carolina games. They run from 1-7pm ET, 3 games each day on Feb 9, 10 and 11. They're as follows (all times ET), with SPOILERS! If you don't remember/want to be surprised, stop reading now... There are some others on ESPNU on Wednesday, as well.

Mon Feb 9
1pm - 1998 in Cameron, Duke 77-UNC 75 (Greatest. Comeback. EVAR. AKA the Wojo-K Hug game)
3pm - 1984 @ CH, UNC 96-83 in 2OT
5pm - 1984 ACC Semis in G'boro, Duke 77-75

Tue Feb 10 (if you have to skip a day...)
1pm - 1994 @ CH, #2 UNC 89-#1 Duke 78
3pm - 1992 @ CH, UNC pulls the upset 75-73
5pm - 1995 in Cameron, UNC 102-100 in 2OT

Mon Feb 11
1pm - 2000 @ CH, Duke 90-86 in OT (Battier and C-well each go for 20+)
3pm - 2004 @ CH, Duke 83-81 (Shelden 22 & 12)
5pm - 2008 in Cameron, UNC 76-68 (UNC scores last 10 points)

roywhite
02-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Pretty clear that the broadcast rights to this game is one of ESPN's top assets. I don't have the numbers, but IIRC, this game draws some of their highest ratings of the whole year.

And they used to put the game on ESPN2....to "encourage" cable companies and subscribers to add the "Deuce" to their packages.

4decadedukie
02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Thank you.

Bluedog
02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Pretty clear that the broadcast rights to this game is one of ESPN's top assets. I don't have the numbers, but IIRC, this game draws some of their highest ratings of the whole year.

And they used to put the game on ESPN2....to "encourage" cable companies and subscribers to add the "Deuce" to their packages.

5.6 million viewers watched the last game, the most ever for an ESPN game.

The Saturday Primetime telecast featuring North Carolina and Duke broke the record set just two weeks prior...

In addition, the telecast set several men’s college basketball marks when compared to games airing on any network, broadcast or cable:

* Amongst viewers (P2+), the game ranks as the most-viewed regular-season men’s college basketball game in more than a decade (previously, the most-viewed broadcast was Kansas vs. Kentucky, Jan. 9, 2005, on CBS – 5,483,000 viewers);
* The game is the highest-rated regular-season men’s college basketball telecast in the past 15 years (North Carolina vs. Duke, Feb. 3, 1993, on ESPN – 4.3 rating);
* Amongst households, the telecast ranks as the most-viewed regular-season men’s college basketball game since 2005 (Duke vs. North Carolina, March 5, 2005, on CBS – 3,977,000 households).

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/03/unc-duke-most-watched-cbb-game-on-espn.html

hurleyfor3
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't recall the 2OT '84 game in their rotation before. (They've had the '84 ACC Tournament game on many times, as well as most of the others.) Need to record that one.

Better yet, why not broadcast the '84 game in Cameron? Wasn't that the "We Beg To Differ" game? Was it a blowout?

CathyCA
02-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't recall the 2OT '84 game in their rotation before. (They've had the '84 ACC Tournament game on many times, as well as most of the others.) Need to record that one.

Better yet, why not broadcast the '84 game in Cameron? Wasn't that the "We Beg To Differ" game? Was it a blowout?

I was there at the game in Chapel Hill. I took my Dad and we sat behind the Duke bench.

It was a great game. We just happened to be on the losing end of a very hard-fought game. I keep thinking about what might have happened if Danny Meagher had made both FTs in regulation. The second OT was the Michael Jordan show. He and Sam Perkins played their hearts out. It was senior day in Chapel Hill, and as it turns out, it was MJ's last game in Chapel Hill, too, as he left for the NBA at the end of that season.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely record it.

blublood
02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Can anybody tape or record all of this gloriousness and send me a copy? I will gladly pay for the DVD's and shipping fee!

blublood
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Just wanted to shamelessly bump this in case anyone can get copies of the games to me! :)

geraldsneighbor
02-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I wish the would show the 01 game in CH when we made it rain 3's.

UrinalCake
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Was 98 the year Elton came back early from injury and led the comeback? I screamed my head off at that game.

DukeUsul
02-08-2009, 11:03 PM
BTTT

Cameron
02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I wish the would show the 01 game in CH when we made it rain 3's.

That 2001 game in the Dean Dome is probably my all-time favorite Duke-UNC game. We had been written off, left or dead. Carolina smelled blood.

Enter Shane Battier, the reigning two time national defensive player of the year, in the middle of Coach Michael Krzyzewski's Enstein-eqsue kamikaze defensive scheme, and a cast of heartless, cold-blooded snipers who didn't give a damn about Haywood Day.

Good night, Carolina.

Jason and Shane were incredible that day. Shane went for 25, I believe, and Jason for 35 or so. How special a combination. It will never be duplicated.

Unfortunately for me, my VHS copy of this game has seen better days. I'm afraid it is on life support now, getting closer and closer to that snowy little retirement village where all plastic memory holders eventually rest (Charles Dickens surely I am not:D)

arydolphin
02-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Was 98 the year Elton came back early from injury and led the comeback? I screamed my head off at that game.

That's the game. It was my freshman year, and Cameron was never as loud as it was at the end of that game when Haywood was on the line and missed 2 free throws. I'm definitely watching it at 1 PM tomorrow.

heyman25
02-09-2009, 03:08 AM
I would like to see Vic Bubas era games. Like Fred Lind hero game or Art Heyman's 40 pt 24 rebound game against Hall Of Famer Billy Cunningham

CLT Devil
02-09-2009, 10:40 AM
That's the game. It was my freshman year, and Cameron was never as loud as it was at the end of that game when Haywood was on the line and missed 2 free throws. I'm definitely watching it at 1 PM tomorrow.

1998 = Best game Ive ever seen in Cameron. Havent missed a Tarhole visit in 15 years, looking forward to reliving some good (and bad) times on ESPNC.

_Gary
02-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Gosh, no one wants to see any of the games from '99? That was truly the best of the best in my book. We owned them 3 times that year. I distinctly remember a wicked crossover that Maggette pulled off in CH where he broke some defender's ankles and went in for a slam. Gosh that was gorgeous. I'd love to see those three games again.

nyr484
02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
You can add this to the list... 2005 Duke-UNC @ Cameron -- a.k.a. the 71-70 game -- will be on ESPN U at 2AM on Wednesday morning. Tivo it!

CLT Devil
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Awwwwwwwwwww maaaaaaaaaann!!!!

I sit here and watch the entire second half of the 1998 game, Wojo stealing the ball from Cota, Brand an absolute beast, C-Well hitting runners in the lane, Tarholes holding their shorts panting........and right as 'Easy Ed' Cota goes to the lane to blow the game Time Warner broadcast messes up and the screen get pixilated...........BUMMER....

How stacked were we that year?
Wojo/Avery
Langdon/C-Well
McLeod/Battier
Brand

Lot of firepower on that team

nyr484
02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Awwwwwwwwwww maaaaaaaaaann!!!!

I sit here and watch the entire second half of the 1998 game, Wojo stealing the ball from Cota, Brand an absolute beast, C-Well hitting runners in the lane, Tarholes holding their shorts panting........and right as 'Easy Ed' Cota goes to the lane to blow the game Time Warner broadcast messes up and the screen get pixilated...........BUMMER....

How stacked were we that year?
Wojo/Avery
Langdon/C-Well
McLeod/Battier
Brand

Lot of firepower on that team

Maybe it's a stretch, but I see a lot of similarities between this year's team and the '98 team.

Wojo = Paulus
Avery = Nolan Smith
McLeod = McClure
Langdon = Scheyer
C-well = Hendo
Battier = Singler
Brand = ok... maybe not (Greg Monroe... ouch)

DukeUsul
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Maybe it's a stretch, but I see a lot of similarities between this year's team and the '98 team.

Wojo = Paulus
Avery = Nolan Smith
McLeod = McClure
Langdon = Scheyer
C-well = Hendo
Battier = Singler
Brand = ok... maybe not (Greg Monroe... ouch)

I'm watching that game now. I'd almost agree. I think you need to swap McClure and Singler. McLeod was a scorer on that team and he could hit the 3 (like Kyle). Battier was a glue guy, defender, rebounder (like Dave).

And wow... did Ed Cota really carry the ball practically every time he had it.

roywhite
02-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Just watched the 1984 ACC Semifinal game where Duke beat UNC 77-75. What a great game, and it was Coach K's coming out party on the national scene.

The talent in that game was amazing---Perkins, Daugherty, Jordan, and Kenny Smith for UNC, and Matt Doherty had a great game. Nearly all the Duke guys had a good game; man, David Henderson was just an excellent player who fit in perfectly on that team.

A young looking Dean and a younger looking Roy on the bench for the Heels; lots of shots of Mickie K. who probably doesn't miss that particular hairdo.

Great game and nice memories; thanks for the tip on the telecast.

Rogue
02-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I guess we see games back to the early 80's because ESPN has the rights.. but anyone know how to possibley view games from the 60's and 70's ?

slower
02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
And wow... did Ed Cota really carry the ball practically every time he had it.

YES!!!! What was up with that? God, I hated Cota. On the other hand, Jamison was a total stud - always respected him.

DukeUsul
02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
YES!!!! What was up with that? God, I hated Cota. On the other hand, Jamison was a total stud - always respected him.

Ha yeah. Antawn Jamison was a stud. It's funny to look back and see how great he was and how raw Carter was.

roywhite
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM

I'll take TarHeels for $400, Alex.

Answer: These are 5 obnoxious TarHeel backcourt players.

Question: Who are Ed Cota, King Rice, Jeff McInnis, George Karl, and Eddie Fogler?

Very good, correct; (and there were more).

arnie
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Just watched the 1984 ACC Semifinal game where Duke beat UNC 77-75. What a great game, and it was Coach K's coming out party on the national scene.

The talent in that game was amazing---Perkins, Daugherty, Jordan, and Kenny Smith for UNC, and Matt Doherty had a great game. Nearly all the Duke guys had a good game; man, David Henderson was just an excellent player who fit in perfectly on that team.

A young looking Dean and a younger looking Roy on the bench for the Heels; lots of shots of Mickie K. who probably doesn't miss that particular hairdo.

Great game and nice memories; thanks for the tip on the telecast.

I also watched last night and had forgotten just how quick both Amaker and Dawkins were with the ball. When the Heels pressed, both of them broke it fairly easily and made them pay. That "feature" is definitely missing from the team this year.

Huh?
02-10-2009, 05:19 PM
When did HBO show their Tobacco Road Special?

slower
02-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Question: Who are Ed Cota, King Rice, Jeff McInnis, George Karl, and Eddie Fogler?

the names mentioned above (and you reminded me of what a PUNK McInnis was) almost make me look back fondly on 'Sheed.

Almost.

(but I have to admit that he's pretty damn funny sometimes, although he IS certifiable)

roywhite
02-10-2009, 06:07 PM
When did HBO show their Tobacco Road Special?

First showing Feb. 23 at 9:00 PM.

devildownunder
02-10-2009, 06:22 PM

King Rice wasn't good enough to be obnoxious.

devildownunder
02-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Duke wins on floor leader Chris Duhon's driving layup. Great game!

I wish they were showing that one. I'd love to see that again.

Edouble
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Gosh, no one wants to see any of the games from '99? That was truly the best of the best in my book. We owned them 3 times that year. I distinctly remember a wicked crossover that Maggette pulled off in CH where he broke some defender's ankles and went in for a slam. Gosh that was gorgeous. I'd love to see those three games again.

Not me. That was my senior year, and one of my favorite teams ever. But we were so dominant and they were so mediocre, there was no drama in any of those games. Every time Duke and Carolina meet, you can "throw out the records", as is sometimes said, because the rivalry is so heated and the best team often doesn't win. That year, there was no doubt in my mind that we would beat them every time. I may be biased, but those games were really destined to lack competition.

Talk about lack of drama... we beat them by more each time we played: 12 points in game 1, 20 points in game 2, 23 points in the final match-up...

I do have some fond memories of that year's Carolina games though. Cota (and I'm paraphrasing) said before one of the games that Avery wasn't that good and wasn't that hard to guard, then Avery went off with 27 points. Cota also whined after the game that if UNC "had Vince and 'Tawn it wouldn't have been a game". What a defeatist attitude and what a poor loser. Can you imagine a Duke player ever saying anything like that?