PDA

View Full Version : Tudor: Duke's 1992 win over Kentucky was "controversial"

Delaware
02-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Has this been a theme of Tudor's before.... anybody know the genesis?

http://www.newsobserver.com/769/story/1392902.html

In 1992 -- when the team was on an emotional edge throughout the late going, the ACC Tournament and then an NCAA run marked by the controversial double-overtime victory over Kentucky in Philadelphia -- Krzyzewski had the sense to play the role of a scoutmaster rather than taskmaster.

vick
02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
...controversial double-overtime victory...

Is that even accurate? I thought it was single-overtime, although oddly I didn't see a proper box score in a quick Google search.

BlueDevilBaby
02-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Good article, but I have no idea how that win can be characterized as controversial.

rthomas
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
"Controversial" is just the wrong word. Don't blow it out of proportion. He should of used something simple like "exciting" or "heat-stopping" or "awesome".

roywhite
02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Is that even accurate? I thought it was single-overtime, although oddly I didn't see a proper box score in a quick Google search.

It was a single overtime game.

The only controversy was among the hard-core Kentucky fans who thought Laettner's "stomp" of Kentucky's Timberlake deserved ejection or perhaps a prison term. It was correctly judged to be a technical foul.

rockymtn devil
02-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I could be wrong, but my guess is that "controversial" refers to the argument that Christian Laettner should've been thrown out after the "stomp". As the argument goes, he never should have been in the game to hit the last shot.

hq2
02-04-2009, 10:08 AM
It wasn't physical enough for a throw-out. It was more a disrespectful poke than an actual stomp. I've seen guys dishing out much worse standing and not be tossed. It merited a technical, which it got, but not ejection.

moonpie23
02-04-2009, 10:10 AM
toots is a tarhole, what do you expect?

arnie
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
The other point that grabbed me when actually reading the paper this morning - the introduction to K regarding loving and loathing him. Don't think you'd typically see that reference about a coach that's been around so long. It's probably a term (or worse) that's used in his circle of journalism friends.

Edouble
02-04-2009, 11:36 AM
The other point that grabbed me when actually reading the paper this morning - the introduction to K regarding loving and loathing him. Don't think you'd typically see that reference about a coach that's been around so long. It's probably a term (or worse) that's used in his circle of journalism friends.

What I noticed was that it wasn't "loving", but "liking". One extreme is loathing, but the other side is only liking, not loving? Ouch!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I interpreted it as a cliche used as an introductory phrase.

KenTankerous
02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Roy & RockyMtn are correct, most of my fellow Cat fans think Laettner should have been ejected. I don't. The technical was the right call. I also do not harbor the hatred of so many Kentucky fans. I think Kentucky exorcised the ghost of Christian Laettner with the 1998, less than ten minutes, 17 point comeback win.

Here is a link to all the Duke-Kentucky games complete with boxscores:

http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/rivalDuke.html

allenmurray
02-04-2009, 12:51 PM
However old Caulton Tudor is, mandatory retirement age should be set at one year younger. He used to be good, but for the last couple of years he just phones it in. Then N&O could do so much better. However, if the N&O gave a darn about their sports coverage they wouldn't have moved Linda Chavez (a great sports journalist) off the sports beat (against her wishes) and onto feathres. Maybe they thought girls didn't belong.