PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hurley No Longer Eclipsed By Famous Father & Brother

gotham devil
02-03-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/01/31/2009-01-31_st_benedicts_dan_hurley_no_longer_eclips.html?p age=0

"I was the second-best basketball player in my family, and I'm the second-best coach," Dan Hurley says. "I've had to own that and live with that. As great as Bobby and my dad were and are, that's something that can be tiresome."
--------------------
"He's in nobody's shadow. His footprints are his own footprints," Bob Sr. says. "There are 20,000 high schools in the country that play basketball, and over the last three or four years, his record matches any team in the country."
------------------
"To work at a school like this that has done so much for so many kids, I'm part of something special that is so much bigger than me," Hurley says. "People see (a college job in my future). I don't see that. I love the kids I coach. I love being able to have an impact on their lives, and having a job that enables me to be the kind of husband and father I want to be."

With four state titles on his resume already, and a shot at a mythical national championship - St. Benedict's travels to Los Angeles to play No. 1-ranked Mater Dei next Saturday - Hurley will surely have more offers. He'll never say never, but much like his father, who also turned down some big-time jobs to stay at St. Anthony, Dan Hurley isn't chasing camera time with Dick Vitale.

"People may think that's bizarre or insane, but we don't need a lot," Hurley says. "Maybe I'm going to have a coaching life that's fulfilling in every way but financial."

jimbonelson
02-03-2009, 09:08 PM
go danny

killerleft
02-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I see no shadows for miles.

SupaDave
02-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I remember his playing days at Seton Hall. He was a good player. He had an up and down career but was fun to watch when clicking...

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/1996/03/08/1996-03-08_hurley_finishes_career.html