PDA

View Full Version : The least classy Carolina fan... EVER!! Just disgusting.

hc5duke
02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/ncsu/womens_basketball/story/1390408.html

A mural in N.C. State University's Free Expression Tunnel to honor women's basketball coach Kay Yow, who died Jan. 24 after a long struggle with breast cancer, was defaced Saturday with blue paint and offensive language. A blue mustache and the phrase "cancer rules" were added to the painting, which shows a portrait of Yow against a pink background. The graffiti was removed and the mural restored by early Sunday morning, but the incident did not sit well with students.
The defacement came the same day the N.C. State men's basketball team played UNC-Chapel Hill, and some in the N.C. State community attributed the graffiti to fans from the rival university.

You stay classy, Carolina

-bdbd
02-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I have always been amazed at the "rose colored lenses" over at the IC boards, where other schools (esp Duke and State) are always seen/assumed to be in the worst possible light conceivable (and sometimes beyond credulity). Think of some of the absurd themes like "K is a racist," "Duke gets all the calls," "K ordered Henderson to break TH's nose," and "the Duke Lax players are guilty as sin," which get widespread play among the faded-blue set, and often seem to be just simply accepted w/o challenge. Even among some of their many alums in the media. All the while Carolina transgressions get brushed off as "insignificant," or "boys being boys."

But this stunt by some of the UNC-ch faithful just goes beyond belief. How do you explain this level of tastelessness away???

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009/02/02/vandals-deface-kay-yow-memorial/

The link was sent to me by a NCSU grad, who says the 'pack fans/students are just livid.

Oh well, I'm sure the IC explanations will be funny to watch ("Duke did it to make us look bad," conspiracy theory anyone??!).

-BDBD

JasonEvans
02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
The Carolina administration and basketball programs need to respond to this and tell their fans this is simply disgusting behavior.

They need to do something else, though I am not sure what it is. Perhaps a significant donation to cancer research.

The message must go out -- loud and clear -- that there is a certain point where rivalry ends and respect must begin.

--Jason "I am at a loss for words" Evans

FireOgilvie
02-03-2009, 07:39 PM
The Carolina administration and basketball programs need to respond to this and tell their fans this is simply disgusting behavior.

They need to do something else, though I am not sure what it is. Perhaps a significant donation to cancer research.

The message must go out -- loud and clear -- that there is a certain point where rivalry ends and respect must begin.

--Jason "I am at a loss for words" Evans

It was one person and it may or may not have been someone associated with UNC. Donation to cancer research by the university? Give me a break. They are undoubtedly already doing cancer research at the university.

allenmurray
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
If they find who did it I know the perfect punishment. They should just put that person together with wolfpackdevil, perhaps the biggest Kay Yow fan of all (certainly the biggest 6'4" 15 year old male Kay Yow fan). I know which one wold come out of the room on a stretcher and which one on his feet. It wouldn't even be close.

jimsumner
02-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Lots of assumptions here but not much in the way of proof.

juise
02-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Lots of assumptions here but not much in the way of proof.

I agree. As much as I dislike Carolina, I would be surprised if Carolina students were actually involved in this. Carolina fans, but the idea that the school needs to make a donation because they are somehow at fault is a huge jump to conclusion... imo.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Before everyone jumps to conclusions over this pitiful act, keep in mind that this could just as easily be the work of a State "fan", or heaven forbid some juvinile Duke "Fan" for that matter wanting to do something they knew would make UNC a villian.

Who knows?

Everyone can agree that it is a warped and insinsitive thing to do. I say we don't give the POS anymore attention, clean up the mess and move on.

brevity
02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Whether the culprit was a Carolina fan or not, the fact remains that there is a culprit, and his/her act was reprehensible. There are things you do not discuss with anything less than the utmost seriousness: rape, incest, genocide, cancer. Especially in something as frivolous as sports.

I would extend this to the phrase "cancer in the locker room," which is commonly used and also unacceptable. Not equally unacceptable, but still unacceptable.

killerleft
02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't blame that on any group. Just a sick individual.

BD80
02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Before everyone jumps to conclusions over this pitiful act, keep in mind that this could just as easily be the work of a State "fan", or heaven forbid some juvenile Duke "Fan" for that matter wanting to do something they knew would make UNC a villain.

Who knows?

Everyone can agree that it is a warped and insensitive thing to do. I say we don't give the POS anymore attention, clean up the mess and move on.

I don't think anyone suspects that a Carolina student or alum is to blame. However, Carolina should take steps to disassociate itself from the culprit and to clearly and publicly state its disapproval. This would be good PC; such practices are clearly offensive to most sensibilities and should be eliminated.

jimsumner
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
"I don't think anyone suspects that a Carolina student or alum is to blame. However, Carolina should take steps to disassociate itself from the culprit and to clearly and publicly state its disapproval."

If no one suspects that a Carolina sudent or alum is to blame, why would Carolina need to address it any more than Duke or Wake Forest or Virginia Tech or anyone else?

Just because someone told a newspaper that they suspect a Carolina fan perpetrated this, doesn't make it so. Doesn't even rise to the level of rumor. Until somebody comes up with some real evidence here, I'm quite reluctant to indict a entire fanbase or an entire university for this reprehensible act.

Carlos
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
It was one person and it may or may not have been someone associated with UNC. Donation to cancer research by the university? Give me a break. They are undoubtedly already doing cancer research at the university.

Indeed... the Lineberger Cancer Center at UNC is actually one of the foremost cancer research centers in the country. The State of NC recently approved a $25M funding for last year and in 2009 and going forward the funding will be $50M annually.

The person who defaced the mural was an immature idiot. The fact that they may be a UNC fan is coincidental.

feldspar
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
If they find who did it I know the perfect punishment. They should just put that person together with wolfpackdevil, perhaps the biggest Kay Yow fan of all (certainly the biggest 6'4" 15 year old male Kay Yow fan). I know which one wold come out of the room on a stretcher and which one on his feet. It wouldn't even be close.

Right. Because violence solves everything.

Verga3
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Indeed... the Lineberger Cancer Center at UNC is actually one of the foremost cancer research centers in the country. The State of NC recently approved a $25M funding for last year and in 2009 and going forward the funding will be $50M annually.

The person who defaced the mural was an immature idiot. The fact that they may be a UNC fan is coincidental.

Amen......let's drop this one.

I love Kay Yow.

SushiChef
02-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Wow! You'd think something this heinous could only be committed by Maryland fans...

miramar
02-04-2009, 09:04 AM
What ever happened to the notion of Southern courtesy and hospitality?

allenmurray
02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Right. Because violence solves everything.

It was a joke. Ever since my sister (my son's aunt) died of breast cancer wolfpackdevil has had a real fondness for Kay Yow. He was devestated when she had to stop coaching, because he knew what it meant. He respected her in a way that was perhaps deeper than some other folks because of his own experience. Besides being incredibly large for his age, he is one of the nicest and gentlest kids you'll ever meet (except when he is on the basketball court). I have never seen him be violent, though my guess is if he met the person who did this he would verbally put them in thier place.

If you need a character reference just ask any of the brunchgate crowd, they'll vouch for him. They also can get a joke.

4decadedukie
02-04-2009, 01:09 PM
At almost 63, I can still be amazed at the stupidity, tastelessness, insensitivity, hatefulness, and imprudence exhibited by some individuals. I hope those responsible have to live with their shame for many years.

RelativeWays
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Oh well, I'm sure the IC explanations will be funny to watch ("Duke did it to make us look bad," conspiracy theory anyone??!).

-BDBD

That might seem far fetched to any reasonable person but I saw a thread on IC that claimed that Bobby Knight called out beaker for traveling on ESPN because K asked him to. Jeez, do you get a complimentary tinfoil hat when you pull for the sheep? This may violate DBR TOS but the IC crowd is the twattiest group of fans I've ever encountered, I don't know how else to describe them.

DukePA
02-04-2009, 08:12 PM
It was a joke. Ever since my sister (my son's aunt) died of breast cancer wolfpackdevil has had a real fondness for Kay Yow. He was devestated when she had to stop coaching, because he knew what it meant. He respected her in a way that was perhaps deeper than some other folks because of his own experience. Besides being incredibly large for his age, he is one of the nicest and gentlest kids you'll ever meet (except when he is on the basketball court). I have never seen him be violent, though my guess is if he met the person who did this he would verbally put them in thier place.

If you need a character reference just ask any of the brunchgate crowd, they'll vouch for him. They also can get a joke.

wolfpackdevi is, without doubt, a fantastic kid.

CathyCA
02-04-2009, 09:28 PM

I got the joke.

And Wolfpackdevil is a thoughtful kid with a tremendous heart.

Son of Jarhead
02-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I got the joke, too. Plus, wolfpackdevil plays for NHS... Go Knights!

oso diablo
02-05-2009, 12:14 AM
is it possible to change the thread title?

hc5duke
02-05-2009, 01:49 AM
is it possible to change the thread title?

I just want to add that I didn't come up with the title. My post was in another thread, and I'm guessing it was combined with someone else's thread about the topic, and his/her title got merged with my post because my post came first.

devil in chapel hill
02-05-2009, 02:28 AM
very sad, I hope they find the culprit(s)

allenmurray
02-05-2009, 08:27 AM
DukePA, CathyCA, BuschDevil - thanks. I think we've sent the message - don't mess with the brunchgate crowd!