PDA

View Full Version : College hoops version of Dimaggio is over

JasonEvans
02-03-2009, 05:11 PM
For those of you who do not follow women's college basketball, a pretty significant thing happened last night.

Oklahoma beat Tennessee. That was not a huge deal. But, in the course of the game "THE STREAK" was ended (http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2009/02/03/good-news-for-sooners-courtneys-streak-ends/?custom_click=lead_story_title). What is "THE STREAK?"

It was Courtney Paris' run of 112 consecutive games with a double-double -- double figures in points and rebounds. After 112 games, the Sooner center came up short, only finishing with 9 points in this game.

There are no typos in the above sentences. Courtney Paris got 10+ points and 10+ rebounds in 112 consecutive games. That is just sick. It is ridiculous. It is among the most amazing basketball feats I have ever encountered.

--Jason "just crazy... mad props Courtney" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
It's pretty impressive. I was paying attention to the score (wasn't televised here) in hopes of a Tennessee victory for selfish reasons, being that Oklahoma is ranked higher than Duke. Courtney is a BIG girl, but athletic, which is a great combo in women's (or men's) hoops. It would be interesting to see how the Duke defense would do against her, we might get to find out this year.

mr. synellinden
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
For those of you who do not follow women's college basketball, a pretty significant thing happened last night.

Oklahoma beat Tennessee. That was not a huge deal. But, in the course of the game "THE STREAK" was ended (http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2009/02/03/good-news-for-sooners-courtneys-streak-ends/?custom_click=lead_story_title). What is "THE STREAK?"

It was Courtney Paris' run of 112 consecutive games with a double-double -- double figures in points and rebounds. After 112 games, the Sooner center came up short, only finishing with 9 points in this game.

There are no typos in the above sentences. Courtney Paris got 10+ points and 10+ rebounds in 112 consecutive games. That is just sick. It is ridiculous. It is among the most amazing basketball feats I have ever encountered.

Good thing Joe DiMaggio didn't play for Duke, or else the mods would be all over you for spelling his name wrong.

DukieInKansas
02-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Even more amazing than the 112 is that the next closest, if I recall correctly, only has a streak of 19. I think the 112 streak will stand for a long time.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2009, 07:15 PM

If I remember correctly from the TV interview, the men's NCAA record for consecutive games in which a player scores double doubles is less than half as many games as Cortney's streak. In the NBA the comparable record streak belongs to Wilt Chamberlain at 275.

JStuart
02-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Which DiMaggio; Greg or Brian?