PDA

View Full Version : A bit of football news.

Duvall
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Depth chart update (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/recruit-to-be-dukes-no-3-qb).

At breakfast a few weeks ago during a visit with quarterback commitment Sean Schroeder, Duke coach David Cutcliffe revealed that a position move will bring Schroeder into fall camp as the team’s No. 3 quarterback. Duke sports information director Art Chase confirmed Tuesday that Zack Asack, who’s been the backup quarterback the last two seasons, is likely to change positions. Thaddeus Lewis remains the starter, and redshirt freshman Sean Renfree will start camp as the backup ahead of Schroeder.

Kind of a surprise. I think most of us can understand why Lewis and Renfree would lead the depth chart, but why not redshirt Schroeder next year and leave Asack as the No. 3?

Acymetric
02-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Depth chart update (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/recruit-to-be-dukes-no-3-qb).

Kind of a surprise. I think most of us can understand why Lewis and Renfree would lead the depth chart, but why not redshirt Schroeder next year and leave Asack as the No. 3?

I (and probably some others) are not that surprised. I'm far too lazy to look for it, but some other people and I speculated a while back that a position change might be best for Zach and the team. He is a great athlete, clearly, and could probably have a shot at the NFL, but not at QB. This is the right move. Also, remember that technically they could still redshirt the #3 QB. Only play him if you have to, if you don't play him, he redshirts.

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Very smart move, and with Renfree coming in not surprising. Zack is a great runner, so let him excel doing what he does well. And it never hurts to have an ex-QB in another position, adds some interesting options for an occasional surprise. Best of luck to Zack in his new role, I'm sure he will embrace it and the chance for some more playing time. One thing he proved when he came back for all those games during his year long dismissal was that he is about the team first. I know I'll have more fun seeing him do something else for us other than try to throw the ball.

Acymetric
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Any guesses at what position he moves to?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2009, 05:29 PM
This could be a very smart move for all concerned. Coach Cutcliffe is pretty good at figuring out how to use a player to best advantage for the team and the player. The goal is to get better fast, make best use of current resources while recruiting better and better assets.

sagegrouse
02-03-2009, 05:35 PM
What was the game where Asack subbed for Lewis? Clemson? He couldn't hit receivers ten yards away when he was standing still in the pocket. College-level passer, he isn't.

It would be great to give him a chance to succeed on offense. The "wildcat" formation, which resembles the old single wing, is a specialty offense in which Asack can be given plays. Or, he could be a receiver or a spot running back.

sagegrouse
'Ah, the single wing. My HS won two state championships using it in the good old days. Even 50 years ago it was an advantage, because no one else used it and the opponents had trouble stopping the sweep ("student body right")'

jimsumner
02-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I think Zack could be an asset to Duke at wide receiver or strong safety. I'm not remotely surprised at the planned switch. His skills are better used at a position other than QB, IMO.

If Capetto shows anything this spring, he could be the third QB and SS could still redshirt.

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
If Capetto shows anything this spring, he could be the third QB and SS could still redshirt.
Did Capetto redshirt last season?

TillyGalore
02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
What was the game where Asack subbed for Lewis? Clemson? He couldn't hit receivers ten yards away when he was standing still in the pocket. College-level passer, he isn't.

It would be great to give him a chance to succeed on offense. The "wildcat" formation, which resembles the old single wing, is a specialty offense in which Asack can be given plays. Or, he could be a receiver or a spot running back.

sagegrouse
'Ah, the single wing. My HS won two state championships using it in the good old days. Even 50 years ago it was an advantage, because no one else used it and the opponents had trouble stopping the sweep ("student body right")'

IIRC, you are thinking of the Virginia Tech game. I wonder if Thad had been able to play that day if we would have won that game, as you're right, Asack couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Bless his heart.

Acymetric
02-03-2009, 06:06 PM
IIRC, you are thinking of the Virginia Tech game. I wonder if Thad had been able to play that day if we would have won that game, as you're right, Asack couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Bless his heart.

It was also the second 3 quarters (or a bit less?) of the Clemson game, which is when Thad got hurt.

And Jim, couldn't SS still redshirt as the 3rd QB if they never use him. You know, like he's there as a backup if they need him, but if not redshirt him to give him the extra year?

Hancock 4 Duke
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
I think that Asack will move to safety. We got burned last year by the opposing team's receivers jumping over our little guys. We need the speed and the height of Zack playing at safety.

DU82
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I think that Asack will move to safety. We got burned last year by the opposing team's receivers jumping over our little guys. We need the speed and the height of Zack playing at safety.

You see, FDA was right. Height matters! :-)

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
We need the speed and the height of Zack playing at safety.
His height?! He wasn't even tall enough to play quarterback!:D:eek:

Indoor66
02-03-2009, 06:37 PM
His height?! He wasn't even tall enough to play quarterback!:D:eek:

Zack is 6'4" - 205lb!

throatybeard
02-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Marty Pocius needs more minutes at Quarterback.

Wander
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Is it bad that I opened this just to see the FDA-related jokes?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I think that Asack will move to safety.
This information comes from a very reliable source. That's all I can say.

jimsumner
02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Asack is a pretty good athlete. Duke suffered losses at both WR and DB and Asack could fill in nicely at either spot. Plenty of college QBs have made those switches and NFL rosters are full of converted QBs.

Capetto has red-shirted once and didn't play at all last season, even when Thad was hurt and Zack was ineffective against VT. That suggests that he's got a long way to go before he's ready for ACC play.

It is hardly unheard of for a team to make it through a season using only two QBs. If Schroeder doesn't play, he doesn't use a year of eligibility. I suspect Duke would only use him in the case of injury or prolonged ineffectiveness by Lewis and Renfree. And I think the second possibility is quite remote.

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Capetto has red-shirted once and didn't play at all last season, even when Thad was hurt and Zack was ineffective against VT. That suggests that he's got a long way to go before he's ready for ACC play.

That's what and why I was wondering. I'm assuming he is using his scholarship to academic advantages, I don't see the benefit of a transfer. After watching him on the sidelines last year, I could see coaching in his future if he chooses a path that keeps him in the game. He and 2 coaches called the plays in, I'm sure he knows the game just lacks the talent.

jimsumner
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Capetto was part of the system that transmitted plays from the sideline to the field. But he certainly wasn't part of calling the plays.

Highlander
02-03-2009, 09:55 PM

No. I did the same.

-bdbd
02-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Is the football schedule posted anywhere yet? I seem to recall hearing that it'll be a slightly more difficult slate overall than 2008.

Are we expectin g to be better next year? If so, that wouldn't necessarily translate into more wins if the sked is harder...

I would think we'll see steady improvement as we see a full year's experience with Coach Cut and his staff and system. Am eager to see that much discussed team speed improvement.

-BDBD

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Is the football schedule posted anywhere yet? I seem to recall hearing that it'll be a slightly more difficult slate overall than 2008.

Are we expectin g to be better next year? If so, that wouldn't necessarily translate into more wins if the sked is harder...

I would think we'll see steady improvement as we see a full year's experience with Coach Cut and his staff and system. Am eager to see that much discussed team speed improvement.

-BDBD

The football schedule for 2009 hasn't been announced yet. The official web site for the athletic department is my source of such information (goduke.com).

National Signing Day is tomorrow (February 4).

Spring Scrimmage will be at 1:30P on April 18 I think.

Sale of 2009 tickets has not yet begun, but based on last year's timetable should begin fairly soon. goduke.com will have all such information.

Are we expecting to be better next season? Without a doubt!

DU82
02-03-2009, 10:54 PM

-BDBD

Here's a link...

http://www.fbschedules.com/2008/10/2009-duke-blue-devils-football-schedule-posted/

Army and Kansas (both away) and Richmond (home) are confirmed, as far as I know. The fourth OOC team has not been officially announced, but it commonly known (hint, their home football stadium is about four miles from Wallace Wade.)

Conference games: home games with Georgia Tech, Maryland, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest, travel to face Miami, NC State, North Carolina and Virginia.

RelativeWays
02-04-2009, 07:21 AM

I was just about to post one. I wish Zack had done this a year ago, my guess is he'll play WR. I guess we'll see on 04/18/09. I'm looking forward to going to the spring scrimmage.

watzone
02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Here's a link...

http://www.fbschedules.com/2008/10/2009-duke-blue-devils-football-schedule-posted/

Army and Kansas (both away) and Richmond (home) are confirmed, as far as I know. The fourth OOC team has not been officially announced, but it commonly known (hint, their home football stadium is about four miles from Wallace Wade.)

Conference games: home games with Georgia Tech, Maryland, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest, travel to face Miami, NC State, North Carolina and Virginia.

Duke will play NC Central at home.