PDA

View Full Version : Ymm, Pastrami!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I think this thread has been a long time in coming. The only ground rule is that all comparisons and ratings have be be done to the mother ship - The Carnegie Deli. When measured on the 9F scale (thanks to whomever suggested that in the Ymm Beer thread!), Carnegie's pastrami and corned beef both rate 9F's, only because there is no 10F :D 9F is therefore perfection!

OK, on Monday night I had dinner at Canter's Fairfax (Deli) in Hollywood, CA. This was two blocks from the CBS studio, where they filmed the Late Late Show I went to. (Craig Ferguson is a funny, funny man!). I ordered their Fairfax sandwich, which is a pastrami and corned beef combo sandwich, similar in concept but not execution to the Woody Allen. The sandwich is served on rye, with a side of cole slaw. I had to ask for pickles. The sandwhich, while not small in comparison to "normal" sandwhiches, is about 1/5 the size of a Woody, and at $12.95 is not a good value vs. ~$19.00. Strike one.
The corned beef was decent, had some good flavor but I would rate it at most 4F's. The pastrami was better than card board, but jeez, was I disappointed. At most 2.5F's. The slaw also lacked the tanginess that I like in slaw, no rating here. Now thr rye bread, with seeds, was excellent. The crust was nice and crunchy, like a good hard roll, just like I like it. I'll give the rye a 9F, but don't go to Canter's just for the bread, unless you want to use their bread on meat imported from Carnegie. Oh, they did have Dr. Brown's Creme Soda in bottles, and that was good. :)

TillyGalore
02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I think this thread has been a long time in coming. The only ground rule is that all comparisons and ratings have be be done to the mother ship - The Carnegie Deli. When measured on the 9F scale (thanks to whomever suggested that in the Ymm Beer thread!), Carnegie's pastrami and corned beef both rate 9F's, only because there is no 10F :D 9F is therefore perfection!

If we are going to be required to compare all pastrami to Carnegie's pastrami, then we will all need to sample our own pastrami sammich from The Carnegie Deli. ;):D

Channing
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM

OK, on Monday night I had dinner at Canter's Fairfax (Deli) in Hollywood, CA. This was two blocks from the CBS studio, where they filmed the Late Late Show I went to. (Craig Ferguson is a funny, funny man!). I ordered their Fairfax sandwich, which is a pastrami and corned beef combo sandwich, similar in concept but not execution to the Woody Allen. The sandwich is served on rye, with a side of cole slaw. I had to ask for pickles. The sandwhich, while not small in comparison to "normal" sandwhiches, is about 1/5 the size of a Woody, and at $12.95 is not a good value vs. ~$19.00. Strike one.
The corned beef was decent, had some good flavor but I would rate it at most 4F's. The pastrami was better than card board, but jeez, was I disappointed. At most 2.5F's. The slaw also lacked the tanginess that I like in slaw, no rating here. Now thr rye bread, with seeds, was excellent. The crust was nice and crunchy, like a good hard roll, just like I like it. I'll give the rye a 9F, but don't go to Canter's just for the bread, unless you want to use their bread on meat imported from Carnegie. Oh, they did have Dr. Brown's Creme Soda in bottles, and that was good. :)

Here in Atlanta a restaurant by Perimeter Mall called Joey D's does their best Carnegie impression. The Corned Beef is good, not great. I would give it 6Fs. The bread is very average (doesnt make or break the sandwich). Same with the mustard.

The Goldbergs on Roswell Road, just north of Buckhead, makes some mean pastrami. However, it is only really great when Howard (the owner) makes it fresh. When he does, I give it 8Fs. The sandwich pales in comparison to a Carnegie bohemoth, but the flavor is alll there.

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
If we are going to be required to compare all pastrami to Carnegie's pastrami, then we will all need to sample our own pastrami sammich from The Carnegie Deli. ;):D
Road trip!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Road trip!
While a road trip is preferred, 800-334-5606 will get you their take out order desk, and they will ship it to you FedEx. Several of us gathered at a DBR member's house for the 2001 FF game vs. Maryland. It was so successful we did it again for the final game.

If you do plan to order, include a Woody for me, and most probably one for Devildeac as well. BTW, you get more meat ordering sandwiches than ordering meat by the pound. :D

devildeac
02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Road trip!

Beat me to it.

Let's see: 1000 mile round trip, 4-5 passengers, $1.85/gal, $20 tolls, $20 sammiches x 10 (at least). That might be worth a trip...:rolleyes:

devildeac
02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
While a road trip is preferred, 800-334-5606 will get you their take out order desk, and they will ship it to you FedEx. Several of us gathered at a DBR member's house for the 2001 FF game vs. Maryland. It was so successful we did it again for the final game.

If you do plan to order, include a Woody for me, and most probably one for Devildeac as well. BTW, you get more meat ordering sandwiches than ordering meat by the pound. :D

This is even a better idea...

And BTW, 2 for me (a Woody for me and a club for Mrs. dd):eek:;)

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2009, 12:48 AM

This is even a better idea...

And BTW, 2 for me (a Woody for me and a club for Mrs. dd)
Final Four at DD's house, with Carnegie sandwiches, when Duke is in Detroit, both games :D:D:D

Lavabe
02-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Here in Atlanta a restaurant by Perimeter Mall called Joey D's does their best Carnegie impression. The Corned Beef is good, not great. I would give it 6Fs. The bread is very average (doesnt make or break the sandwich). Same with the mustard.

The Goldbergs on Roswell Road, just north of Buckhead, makes some mean pastrami. However, it is only really great when Howard (the owner) makes it fresh. When he does, I give it 8Fs. The sandwich pales in comparison to a Carnegie bohemoth, but the flavor is alll there.

Joey D's: 5F max: The bread & mustard components immediately lower the grade to a 7F (1F deduction for each is being courteous). a "good, not great" meat component is a 2F deduction. That makes it a 5F.

Goldbergs on Roswell Rd: Umm... the lack of behemoth status is a huge difference, and getting Howard or Wayne is never a guarantee. I can't give the corned beef above a 6F. I give the pastrami a 7F, in part because of the good bread. But VOLUME is a key component. If the sandwich doesn't make you run to a cardiologist, it pales in comparison to the Carnegie. In this case, I put the meat on a par with Katz's.:eek:

My favorite p-o-r was the former Jack & Charlie's in Clayton, Mo (suburban St. Louis). It was run by a family sort of like the family who ran Goldberg's before Wayne/Howard took over. Still, I'd give that one only a 7F, because it lacked behemoth status. Sadly, J&C's closed in the early/mid 1990's.

Harold's (Jersey) p-o-r: 5F... but great pickles!

Important Note:
Montreal: Schwartz's Smoked Meat on Rye: This is the closest I came to a p-o-r while in Canada. It's not the same as a p-o-r, but good in its own right. If you go there, just don't expect it to be the same as pastrami. Rating: can't be rated, as it is neither pastrami nor corned beef.

Ozzie: While on an interview near Torrance last year, I saw the all-time BIZARRE pastrami place: Pastrami Pizza!:eek:

Sue/Ozzie/jules/mom: What's the rating on LA's Langer's?

GREAT THREAD!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

94duke
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Where is the best Pastrami sammich in the Triangle?
Anything near Southpoint?

roywhite
02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm not claiming equivalence to Carnegie Deli (or other top-notch delicatessans) but the Jason's Deli chain has pretty good corn beef and pastrami.

devildeac
02-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm not claiming equivalence to Carnegie Deli (or other top-notch delicatessans) but the Jason's Deli chain has pretty good corn beef and pastrami.

Haven't had one in a while but my memory and taste buds would agree here;).

TillyGalore
02-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I think we need to have a Carnegie Deli party. We send in one huge order for sammichs, gather at someone's house to begin consuming sammichs. I wrote "begin consuming" as there will no doubt be leftovers for each person to bring home.

allenmurray
02-04-2009, 01:20 PM
You don't have to go all the way to New York. Just stop in Baltimore. the Orioles are lousy. the corend beef (far superior to pastrami, in my mind) is the best you'll ever have.

http://www.attmansdeli.com/

http://www.citypaper.com/special/story.asp?id=6044

devildeac
02-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I think we need to have a Carnegie Deli party. We send in one huge order for sammichs, gather at someone's house to begin consuming sammichs. I wrote "begin consuming" as there will no doubt be leftovers for each person to bring home.

Not so sure-have you seen Ozzie eat?;)

Lavabe
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
You don't have to go all the way to New York. Just stop in Baltimore. the Orioles are lousy. the corend beef (far superior to pastrami, in my mind) is the best you'll ever have.

http://www.attmansdeli.com/

http://www.citypaper.com/special/story.asp?id=6044

What next? devildeac also gets an avatar?:eek: Now I KNOW somethings wrong in the allenmurray household.;)

Corned beef beats pastrami in one category only ... Reuben > Rachel.

But both are good.

Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Not so sure-have you seen Ozzie eat?;)
Play nice now, Devildeac. :D

budwom
02-04-2009, 04:12 PM
The Carnegie Deli is very nice, but it can't hold a soggy dill pickle to the real Hall of Fame Pastrami venue: Katz's deli. Carnegie is nice is you're coming in on a bus tour from Enid or Akron, but if you want the primo stuff in the very best environment, you go to Katz's. Just ask Meg Ryan: the pastrami is orgasmic, as she vividly documented.

Nice mention of Schwartz's Smoked Meat: Montreal smoked meat is a hybrid, something of a cross between pastrami and corned beef. Interesting stuff.

Shockingly, you can get real (really) genuine NYC pastrami at the New York Deli on Topsail Island, NC, where I shall happen to be for the next month or so. I was SO skeptical when I saw their ads, but it's the real deal. Not quite in Katz's or Carnegie's league, but very, very good, imported by a genuine Bronxian from the Bronx.

Lavabe
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM

the truth be told, I think p-o-r, without so much meat, can be a beautiful thing. Maybe the Baltimore corned beef is great, maybe the Atlanta one is up there. What I'm looking for are:

1) The sandwich bread must be made nearby. Hello seeds! Fresh rye.
2) The right blend of lean, fat, and peppercorns.
3) Must be accompanied by the correctly brined substance... a GOOD pickle.

I STILL don't understand pastrami pizza.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
The Carnegie Deli is very nice, but it can't hold a soggy dill pickle to the real Hall of Fame Pastrami venue: Katz's deli. Carnegie is nice is you're coming in on a bus tour from Enid or Akron, but if you want the primo stuff in the very best environment, you go to Katz's. Just ask Meg Ryan: the pastrami is orgasmic, as she vividly documented.

Nice mention of Schwartz's Smoked Meat: Montreal smoked meat is a hybrid, something of a cross between pastrami and corned beef. Interesting stuff.

Ymm, Katz's.

I know that some people besmirch Katz's, and others besmirch Carnegie. But trust me, as I can't find a good deli where I live, I'd kill for both.

Wasn't there a FoodNetwork "Unwrapped" that showed all about the Carnegie Pastrami - on - Rye?

Cheers,
Lavabe

budwom
02-04-2009, 04:29 PM
I might give the corned beef nod to Carnegie, but Katz's has them beat hands down on the pastrami. And when it comes to ambience, it's Katz's Real Deal Environment vs. Tourist Zone Carnegie. Many a victorious Blue Devil game at MSG has been followed by a belly stuffing at Katz's.
They've been making pastrami there since 1888, so they've worked out the kinks in the recipe.

TillyGalore
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
the truth be told, I think p-o-r, without so much meat, can be a beautiful thing. Maybe the Baltimore corned beef is great, maybe the Atlanta one is up there. What I'm looking for are:

1) The sandwich bread must be made nearby. Hello seeds! Fresh rye.
2) The right blend of lean, fat, and peppercorns.
3) Must be accompanied by the correctly brined substance... a GOOD pickle.

I STILL don't understand pastrami pizza.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Is there any other type of bread one would serve pastrami on? Come on. [/sarcasm] It's rye bread or no sandwich.

budwom
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Just for sport I just Googled "katz vs. carnegie" and came up with a site dedicated to that. Katz's wins in a landslide...

CathyCA
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM

Um, Budworm, Meg Ryan FAKED that one.

budwom
02-04-2009, 04:36 PM
No way, everyone knows that was real!

Lavabe
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Is there any other type of bread one would serve pastrami on? Come on. [/sarcasm] It's rye bread or no sandwich.

Seriously. Someone in my family prefers pastrami on bagel w/cream cheese.:o

Not kosher, but surprisingly tasty ... when done right.

As for rye, there are two issues:
1) Seeded vs. no seeds
2) Onions on the crust, or plain.

TillyGalore
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM

1) Seeded vs. no seeds

Please tell me that is not your brother the twerp/hole fan.

I'm okay with seeds, but no onions.

Lavabe
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Please tell me that is not your brother the twerp/hole fan.

I'm okay with seeds, but no onions.

My brother the twerp/hole fan prefers corned beef ... reubens, especially.:eek:

Oy!:eek:

devildeac
02-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Shockingly, you can get real (really) genuine NYC pastrami at the New York Deli on Topsail Island, NC, where I shall happen to be for the next month or so. I was SO skeptical when I saw their ads, but it's the real deal. Not quite in Katz's or Carnegie's league, but very, very good, imported by a genuine Bronxian from the Bronx.

I will stay out of the comparison discussion as I have never had Katz' pastrami. I will comment though, when I asked a patient (from Brooklyn) about the two pastramis, from the Carnegie and Katz', his reply was, "Katz' is gahbage." No foolin'.

Ozzie, you've had both, IIRC. Whaddaya think?

The New York Corner Deli's pastrami is good, but not in the league with Carnegie's.

devildeac
02-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Pumpernickel is quite good, too, but rye is preferred.

devildeac
02-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Just for sport I just Googled "katz vs. carnegie" and came up with a site dedicated to that. Katz's wins in a landslide...

Next time to NYC, Oz, You'll/I'll/we'll have to get one of each...

devildeac
02-04-2009, 06:41 PM

1) Seeded vs. no seeds

Would that be your brother who also likes the 'holes, the terps and the cards?:o

seeded>unseeded
no onions

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Next time to NYC, Oz, You'll/I'll/we'll have to get one of each...
On Buddy's and Stray's recommendation, I had corned beef at katz's a few years ago. Meg Ryan was not there. Excellent, cut thicker than Carnegie's. Certainly also ranks as a 9F. But I didn't have the pastrami, so next trip, we'll do it. We may have coronaries before we leave Manhattan. :eek:

Stray actually said the pastrami was better at Carnegie (but he preferred Katz's corned beef). Don't know if he'll admit to that now or not :rolleyes:

I am pleased that Buddy Womble is reading this thread. Is Stray Gator?

DukePA
02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
You guys are killing me! I'm dying for corned beef on challah. Sorry, I'm just not a rye fan :o

budwom
02-05-2009, 05:38 AM
I will stay out of the comparison discussion as I have never had Katz' pastrami. I will comment though, when I asked a patient (from Brooklyn) about the two pastramis, from the Carnegie and Katz', his reply was, "Katz' is gahbage." No foolin'.

Ozzie, you've had both, IIRC. Whaddaya think?

The New York Corner Deli's pastrami is good, but not in the league with Carnegie's.

Utterly ridiculous. Carnegie is Tourist Town Central. The real thing is at Katz's. Check out the Katz's vs. Carnegie site. I mean really, this is like comparing the Dean Dome (Carnegie) with Cameron. The locals know where to go.
p.s. the patient from Brooklyn obviously had clogged arteries and diminished blood flow to the brain...'nuff said about him.

Lavabe
02-05-2009, 06:39 AM
You guys are killing me! I'm dying for corned beef on challah. Sorry, I'm just not a rye fan :o

No mayo!:p:D:eek:

devildeac
02-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Utterly ridiculous. Carnegie is Tourist Town Central. The real thing is at Katz's. Check out the Katz's vs. Carnegie site. I mean really, this is like comparing the Dean Dome (Carnegie) with Cameron. The locals know where to go.
p.s. the patient from Brooklyn obviously had clogged arteries and diminished blood flow to the brain...'nuff said about him.

His heart arteries were a problem and had been "corrected" at an earlier visit. IIRC, the blood flow to his brain was fairly normal so I believed his thought processes to be relatively intact:rolleyes:;).

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I received a surprise package today from the Eli Zabar Deli in NYC! Thank you Brother Fishman! You know who you are! :cool::D
www.elizabar.com
Included is a sample package of "NY Style Pastrami", along with a loaf of Jewish Rye and several onion rolls, and a host of desert items! I expect it will be dinner tonight and a review will follow! :D

sue71, esq
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
seeded>unseeded
no onions

Agreed.

devildeac
02-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I received a surprise package today from the Eli Zabar Deli in NYC! Thank you Brother Fishman! You know who you are! :cool::D
www.elizabar.com
Included is a sample package of "NY Style Pastrami", along with a loaf of Jewish Rye and several onion rolls, and a host of desert items! I expect it will be dinner tonight and a review will follow! :D

shoulda let me know sooner, ida been down for dinner...

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
shoulda let me know sooner, ida been down for dinner...
It was only 8 oz. of pastrami. Not much to share. It made 2 rather small sandwiches on rye. The loaf of rye was good. Nice crust. The pastrami would rate 3Fs, not really worth describing beyond that. But sending it to me was a very unexpected and generous act of kindness!

The onion rolls and rugelach were also very good!

devildeac
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
It was only 8 oz. of pastrami. Not much to share. It made 2 rather small sandwiches on rye. The loaf of rye was good. Nice crust. The pastrami would rate 3Fs, not really worth describing beyond that. But sending it to me was a very unexpected and generous act of kindness!

How's the pastrami/corned beef at that meat market in Selma (?) that you often discuss?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2009, 11:07 PM
How's the pastrami/corned beef at that meat market in Selma (?) that you often discuss?
Don't think they offer it. I'll ask tomorrow when I pick up my T-bone for tomorrow night. And it is the Town Market in Pine Level.

Lavabe
02-20-2009, 03:48 AM

What flavor rugels? My grandma used to make apricot all the time. I generally prefer no nuts.

Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
What flavor rugels? My grandma used to make apricot all the time. I generally prefer no nuts.

Cheers,
Lavabe
They are assorted, mostly chocolate based. Haven't had a fruit one yet (maybe I'm being intentionally selective ;)).

TillyGalore
03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I am soooooooooooooooo craving a Ruben sammich. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not pastrami.

Lavabe
03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
I am soooooooooooooooo craving a Ruben sammich. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not pastrami.

Then go for a Rachel sammich.:)

TillyGalore
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Then go for a Rachel sammich.:)

Where in the heck can I get a decent sammich without going the Jason's in Chapel Hell? Oh, I really need a pastrami or corned beef sammich right about now. Can't shake the craving. All this talk of lox, pastrami, and corned beef has me in a craving frenzy. Aaaaaagghhhhh! Stop the insanity.

Lavabe
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Where in the heck can I get a decent sammich without going the Jason's in Chapel Hell? Oh, I really need a pastrami or corned beef sammich right about now. Can't shake the craving. All this talk of lox, pastrami, and corned beef has me in a craving frenzy. Aaaaaagghhhhh! Stop the insanity.

As I said in the Ymm, Matzah Brai thread:

Hello? Knadl's?:D

If only I had the venture capital on this one. Ymo?:D

devildeac
03-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Our son just facebooked a photo of his pastrami and corned beef sammy from Sarge's with roasted potatoes and derma. And he wondered why he was gaining weight. He did walk for a couple hours after consumption, or so he claims.

devildeac
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Speaking of fleshly vices, where are you going this week, Ozzie?;)

Lavabe
03-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Our son just facebooked a photo of his pastrami and corned beef sammy from Sarge's with roasted potatoes and derma. And he wondered why he was gaining weight. He did walk for a couple hours after consumption, or so he claims.

In the words of that GREAT polka hit:
Who stole the kishka?:D

I know this is blasphemy, but what do y'all think of the corned beef brisket sold in stores leading up to St. Patty's Day?:eek:

devildeac
03-16-2009, 02:18 PM
In the words of that GREAT polka hit:
Who stole the kishka?:D

I know this is blasphemy, but what do y'all think of the corned beef brisket sold in stores leading up to St. Patty's Day?:eek:

Haven't had it in decades. Mrs. dd had a very bad experience with it (or the cabbage or the potatoes) one year and has not prepared it since.:(

cl15876
03-16-2009, 05:00 PM

OMG, you have to share the pic!!!!! Please!!!! :D I've only had chicken and rice soup today and it's supper time! :eek:

cl15876
03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Speaking of fleshly vices, where are you going this week, Ozzie?;)

HA, he will be making a pit stop here in VA on the way home!!!! With all the talk of corn beef and pastrami, the topic of A WOOD-EEE came up!!!!! :eek: :D I can't wait to get my care package after we eat freshly grilled steaks and other wonderful compliments! Obviously, followed by the opportunity to experiment with the tini deserts drinks!!!! :D

TillyGalore
03-16-2009, 05:05 PM
HA, he will be making a pit stop here in VA on the way home!!!! With all the talk of corn beef and pastrami, the topic of woodie came up!!!!! :eek: :D I can wait to get my care package after we eat freshly grilled steaks and other wonderful compliments! Obviously, followed by the opportunity to experiment with the tini deserts!!!! :D

Wait! Ozzie is bring a delicacy from NYC, and ya'll are going to grill steaks first. Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

cl15876
03-16-2009, 05:06 PM

HAHAHAHA, you are too funny! Tell me about it, I'm hungry!!!!! tini's with shaved chocolate coming up!!!! ;)

TillyGalore
03-16-2009, 05:09 PM
HAHAHAHA, you are too funny! Tell me about it, I'm hungry!!!!! tini's with shaved chocolate coming up!!!! ;)

I hope you enjoy every morsel of your chocolate. I'm living vicariously through you as I gave chocolate up for Lent.

cl15876
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I hope you enjoy every morsel of your chocolate. I'm living vicariously through you as I gave chocolate up for Lent.

OMG, I usually live vicariously through everyone else!!!! :D "I am HONORED"!!!

That reminds me of my TO DO's, I have to RSVP! I WILL BE THERE! :D

cl15876
03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Wait! Ozzie is bring a delicacy from NYC, and ya'll are going to grill steaks first. Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

My humble gift to him for being such a dedicated and wonderful DUKE man!!!!! :D Plus, I love cooking for others!

TillyGalore
03-16-2009, 05:19 PM
OMG, I usually live vicariously through everyone else!!!! :D "I am HONORED"!!!

That reminds me of my TO DO's, I have to RSVP! I WILL BE THERE! :D

Woo hoo!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-17-2009, 08:38 AM

HA, he will be making a pit stop here in VA on the way home!!!! With all the talk of corn beef and pastrami, the topic of A WOOD-EEE came up!!!!! :eek: I can't wait to get my care package after we eat freshly grilled steaks and other wonderful compliments! Obviously, followed by the opportunity to experiment with the tini deserts drinks!!!!
Tilly, I will have eaten a pastrami sandwich for lunch, so an expertly grilled steak for dinner is in order :cool:
You'll just have to wait another day for your delicacy! :D

TillyGalore
03-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Tilly, I will have eaten a pastrami sandwich for lunch, so an expertly grilled steak for dinner is in order :cool:
You'll just have to wait another day for your delicacy! :D

I'm jealous of your lunch and dinner menus tomorrow. Hope you enjoy both. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-17-2009, 08:52 AM
I left home yesterday later than originally intended, so I exited the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan about 9:30 pm, and by the time I got to Katz's for dinner, it was about 9:45. Unlike Carnegie, Katz's closes on Monday nights at 9:30 :mad: Carnegie closes for an hour at 4 a.m. 365 days a year. Poo on Katz. No joy last night. So I had a slice of real NY pizza at the Ray's next door. It was delicious, but not what I had originally wanted. I figured it was an appetizer for a trip to Carnegie after I checked in to my hotel, but I was full after the pizza, so Carnegie will have to wait till tomorrow's lunch (I have other plans for today).

I don't expect to revisit Katz's on this trip. I may have corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight with a friend in honor of St. Patrick's Day, but it won't be a sandwich from a deli. To answer the question above about corned beef brisket, where do you think corned beef sandwiches come from if not a brisket? They don't grow on trees! :eek:

devildeac
03-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I left home yesterday later than originally intended, so I exited the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan about 9:30 pm, and by the time I got to Katz's for dinner, it was about 9:45. Unlike Carnegie, Katz's closes on Monday nights at 9:30 :mad: Carnegie closes for an hour at 4 a.m. 365 days a year. Poo on Katz. No joy last night. So I had a slice of real NY pizza at the Ray's next door. It was delicious, but not what I had originally wanted. I figured it was an appetizer for a trip to Carnegie after I checked in to my hotel, but I was full after the pizza, so Carnegie will have to wait till tomorrow's lunch (I have other plans for today).

I don't expect to revisit Katz's on this trip. I may have corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight with a friend in honor of St. Patrick's Day, but it won't be a sandwich from a deli. To answer the question above about corned beef brisket, where do you think corned beef sandwiches come from if not a brisket? They don't grow on trees! :eek:

You apparently have not seen the corned beef shrubbery we have in our back yard. Plus some oceanfront property in Montana we'd like to sell you.:rolleyes::o

TillyGalore
03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Now we know what Ozzie was doing in NYC this week. heh heh

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2009/03/16/nat.st.pats.eating.contest.wpix (I couldn't listen to the report as my work computer doesn't have speakers, my work space is temporary, thus I have put up with it).

cl15876
03-17-2009, 09:49 PM

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2009/03/16/nat.st.pats.eating.contest.wpix (I couldn't listen to the report as my work computer doesn't have speakers, my work space is temporary, thus I have put up with it).

Tilly - I was wondering what first report playing had to do with Ozzie, but 2nd one was awesome! Did he use some greytian formula and moose to get that mohawk.... :D

devildeac
03-18-2009, 12:17 AM

I'm not even sure Ozzie could do that:rolleyes::eek:.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-18-2009, 07:30 AM

I saw that on the local news here in NY yesterday. I am not impressed. Did you see how skinny those sandwiches were? Barely 1/6" of meat. There is more corned beef on one Carnegie sandwich than on all 16 that "winner" ate. He did eat a ton of bread, though :eek:

And no, no mohawk for me. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Good stuff is coming to those who wait! :cool: That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:D

devildeac
03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Good stuff is coming to those who wait! :cool: That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:D

Licks lips, drools and longs for tomorrow's delivery:o;).

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM

11 minutes till sammich time. Doing the happy dance.

Ozzie the Awesome, is awesome for bring back sammichs from Carnegie Deli.

devildeac
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
11 minutes till sammich time. Doing the happy dance.

Ozzie the Awesome, is awesome for bring back sammichs from Carnegie Deli.

11 minutes? When did he call you? He didin't call me yet:(.

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 01:19 PM

He'll be calling you soon if he hasn't already.

The sandwich is bigger than my foot (I'm eyeballing this, didn't actually hold the sandwich up to my foot). I don't see how anyone could take a bite out of this thing.

Will post a review shortly.

Should I be concerned I walked through the cath lab on the way back to my office with my treat?

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I have died and gone to heaven. I'm eating this naked, as in nothing on the meat and it is sooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood. devildeac are you on call tonight? Maybe I'll stay at work as I'm next to the cath lab.

Oh, am drinking lots of water.

Some at work took a pic of me with the sammich, will post it if she sends it to me.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I have died and gone to heaven. I'm eating this naked, as in nothing on the meat and it is sooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood. devildeac are you on call tonight? Maybe I'll stay at work as I'm next to the cath lab.

Some at work took a pic of me with the sammich, will post it if she sends it to me.
I do hope you nuked the meat to take the chill off it. At least do that at home tonight when you eat with Knights68. And enjoy the pickles, too ;)

I've just taken my first bite of corned beef. The second sammich will be pastrami. Tomorrow, I'll repeat the procedure!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-19-2009, 06:30 PM
I called, and then delivered :cool:

cl15876
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
......The sandwich is bigger than my foot (I'm eyeballing this, didn't actually hold the sandwich up to my foot). I don't see how anyone could take a bite out of this thing. ...

Where there is WILL, you women continue to amaze me!!!! It was big wasn't it! What about the pickle? :rolleyes::D

cl15876
03-19-2009, 07:22 PM
I have died and gone to heaven. ..... as I'm next to the cath lab.

I beg your pardon :D :o

cl15876
03-19-2009, 07:23 PM
i ... Delivered :cool:

you are the man!!!!!!!!!!! :)

cl15876
03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
..... Will post a review shortly. ....

I have been waiting ALL AFTERNOON!!!!! WTF, DD, is SHE OKAY, OR ARE YOU ARE suffering from same speechless-NESS also? :D

devildeac
03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
He'll be calling you soon if he hasn't already.

The sandwich is bigger than my foot (I'm eyeballing this, didn't actually hold the sandwich up to my foot). I don't see how anyone could take a bite out of this thing.

Will post a review shortly.

Should I be concerned I walked through the cath lab on the way back to my office with my treat?

I wouldn't publicize that, but a couple cardiologists might follow you. One with some rye bread and mustard and the other with a stent in his/her hand.:eek::o;)

devildeac
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

No, I am not on call tonight and I do not have hospital privileges in Derm anyway. But, for a fee (heh-heh-heh), I could be convinced to pick you up and bring you back to Raleigh and do your procedure here;).

cl15876
03-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't publicize that, but a couple cardiologists might follow you. One with some rye bread and mustard and the other with a stent in his/her hand.:eek::o;)

LOL - we need to chat! My thalium test didn't turn out soo good! :-(

devildeac
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Half sammich tonight as I had a small bowl of chicken noodle soup (not Kosher) and left over spag from last evening's Italian adventure. Three slices corned beef and three slices of pastrami. Nuked on toasted rye bread with some Carnegie Deli mustard left over from the December delivery. Magnificent. The rest of the club and Woody Allen go to the office tomorrow for my staff. Yes, my wife did have half a sammich of CB and pastrami and half a club, too. I hope I can get them to work for the afternoon after these delicacies.

THANK YOU OZZIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

devildeac
03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
LOL - we need to chat! My thalium test didn't turn out soo good! :-(

PM me or get my number from Cathy.

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I just finished my second round of CB and pastrami. And still have over half a sandwich. As this was my first Woody, I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype. I'm very happy to say it did. One minute I'm loving the pastrami, the next it's the corned beef. Ymm pastrami and corned beef.

Knights68 and I will enjoy the pickles tomorrow night when we see each other. I'm sure he'll have a sammich too.

Ozzie, thank you for picking up the sandwiches and delivering mine to me at the front door of my building. Can I bring you anything from Hawaii?

Before I forget, I did deliver the other package you left with me. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
I just finished my second round of CB and pastrami. And still have over half a sandwich. As this was my first Woody, I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype. I'm very happy to say it did. One minute I'm loving the pastrami, the next it's the corned beef. Ymm pastrami and corned beef.

Knights68 and I will enjoy the pickles tomorrow night when we see each other. I'm sure he'll have a sammich too.

Ozzie, thank you for picking up the sandwiches and delivering mine to me at the front door of my building. Can I bring you anything from Hawaii?

Before I forget, I did deliver the other package you left with me. :D
You, and DD and Clbunchofnumbers* ;) are all welcome! Glad to be of service.

When are you going to Hawaii? I'll get back to you on what you might bring me...

*I do know what the numbers are and what they represent.

TillyGalore
03-20-2009, 08:15 AM
You, and DD and Clbunchofnumbers* ;) are all welcome! Glad to be of service.

When are you going to Hawaii? I'll get back to you on what you might bring me...

*I do know what the numbers are and what they represent.

I'm going to Hawaii the end of April. :D

I don't know what the bunchofnumbers are or what they stand for. ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Cool! Or warm, as the case may be!

As for Clbunchofnumbers? Here!

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/image.php?u=3803&dateline=1232520916 (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?u=3803) cl15876 (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?u=3803) http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Bench Warmer

devildeac
03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Cool! Or warm, as the case may be!

As for Clbunchofnumbers? Here!

We know what the numbers are-we just can't figure out what their significance is:confused:.

devildeac
03-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Take a look at the ads flying by in the ad bar on this thread. Pastrami web sites and the like. LMAO:o;)

TillyGalore
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
No, I am not on call tonight and I do not have hospital privileges in Derm anyway. But, for a fee (heh-heh-heh), I could be convinced to pick you up and bring you back to Raleigh and do your procedure here;).

Umm, could I pay you with Carnegie Deli sammiches?

devildeac
03-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Umm, could I pay you with Carnegie Deli sammiches?

That is exactly what I had in mind;).

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-20-2009, 10:27 AM
The Prof dropped me by the front door of DUMH to meet Til with her curb service at the end of her day! Hugs and grins all 'round! Then I jumped back in the car and began to unwrap the humongous delicacy on our way to Apex. Now, I'm known for having a big mouth.....but there was no WAY I could get it open wide enough to wrap around that thing for a bite of everything at once. With discretion being the better part of valor, I opted to take off the top piece of bread, poke in some of the "tender-as-a-mother's-love" meat and enjoy a "bent sandwich" as we call em around our house. We grazed all the way to Apex, heading there to watch Native play his lacrosse match for the Panther Creek Catamounts. There the luck of the Irish was with us again.....no doubt enhanced by the carry-out Irish cuisine!!! Native scored his first ever varsity goal and his mother even had the video running at the right time.

Back home now there is STILL enough meat left over to throw in with a pot of cabbage, thereby turning this whole, sinful episode into a more healthful venture.....and giving us a couple more meals to savor at the same time.

What do I owe you Ozzie! This was above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks, thanks, thanks......you are a hero to us all!
Bless your heart.
Ima

TillyGalore
03-20-2009, 10:40 AM
That is exactly what I had in mind;).

It's a deal!!! :D

I now have a cardiologist on call, and I only have to pay him in sammiches. How much better does life get I ask?

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
There the luck of the Irish was with us again.....no doubt enhanced by the carry-out Irish cuisine!!!
Back home now there is STILL enough meat left over to throw in with a pot of cabbage, thereby turning this whole, sinful episode into a more healthful venture.....and giving us a couple more meals to savor at the same time.

What do I owe you Ozzie! This was above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks, thanks, thanks......you are a hero to us all!
Bless your heart.
Ima
You're welcome! So glad you enjoyed it! But in this case, the corned beef ain't Irish, it's Jewish! Will Imatheyounger be able to sample it too?

What do you owe me? Get your daughter well. That will be plenty of payment!

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-20-2009, 11:07 AM

I now have a cardiologist on call, and I only have to pay him in sammiches. How much better does life get I ask?

Pick ups? Procedures? Sammiches? This is beginning to sound a bit risque to this dowdy ol' grandmother type :eek:
Love, Ima

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Pick ups? Procedures? Sammiches? This is beginning to sound a bit risque to this dowdy ol' grandmother type :eek:
Love, Ima
You're right! It IS beginning to sound like Grey's Anatomy :cool:

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-20-2009, 11:39 AM
You're welcome! So glad you enjoyed it! But in this case, the corned beef ain't Irish, it's Jewish! Will Imatheyounger be able to sample it too?

I guess I was still in my St. Paddie's Day Mode. :rolleyes:

devildeac
03-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Oh, my. I just finished my lunch which was a mini-Woody with some deli mustard and some kraut and now I think I need a cardiologist.:rolleyes::eek:

In fact, my staff is ripping through the turkey, CB and pastrami and I think they all need a cardiologist now!:D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Just had lunch with DukePA and delivered her corned beef on seedless rye (Carnegie doesn't offer challah bread, which was her first choice). We dined in Goldsboro at Brooklyn Pizza, which is my favorite NC NY style pizza by the slice place. Ymm Pizza!

Enjoy, DukePA!

cl15876
03-20-2009, 06:17 PM
PM me or get my number from Cathy.

DD, thanks! Have a follow up on Monday at 4:00pm to discuss further.... I didn't see your post last night prior to game and Cathy provided your number.... PM me and let me know if you have a better time to call.... Insurance is Aetna PPO - LOL :D

cl15876
03-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I just finished my second round of CB and pastrami. And still have over half a sandwich. .... Ymm pastrami and corned beef.

Tilly - NOW I am FULL-FILLED!!!! I couldn't believe the pile of 9"F"-eet (or "'s) of meat in height, diameter, radius-squared, circumference (PIE x R-squared), etc.... and people eat these everyday in 1 sitting? And they wonder where 9"F"-n lbs came from between yesterday's lunch and then dinner? :eek:

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F!!!!!!

That spicy mustard on each slice of bread, on each integrated mini layer of CB and pastrami.... OMG, I think something just happened to me again ... just thinking about IT!!!!! I love to reflect! :D

cl15876
03-20-2009, 06:41 PM
... As this was my first Woody, I was afraid ..., I'm very happy... One minute I'm loving the ...., the next it's the ... Ymm

Aren't they GGGggRRRrrrrreAAAAaTTTTttt!!! I think IT IS safe to say WE WERE ALL afraid of our FIRST W.... also (if I recall correctly! wasn't sure what was happening!) :eek: :o , but WE learned to N'JOY or N'DULDGE (not sure there is a difference) and WE ALL LIKE IT VERY MUCH!!!!! GOD IS GOOD!!! Welcome aboard!!!!! :D

cl15876
03-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Knights68 and I will enjoy the pickles tomorrow night when we see each other. I'm sure he'll have ....

STOP, STOP, ... STOP!!!! I love ya Tilly, but as Sue would say, way TMI!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

cl15876
03-20-2009, 06:46 PM
.....Can I bring you anything from Hawaii?

What island are you going to? If Oahu, you have to check out the DOLE plantation! They have an AWESOME Crystal Pineapple for your curio cabinet!!!!! Check out the Pineapple trees up on the north side of island! It is always great to get a 6 pack of those babies on the way back and share with those closest to you!!!!! :D

cl15876
03-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Tilly - NOW I am FULL-FILLED!!!! I couldn't believe the pile of 9"F"-eet (or "'s) of meat in height, diameter, radius-squared, circumference (PIE x R-squared), etc.... and people eat these everyday in 1 sitting? And they wonder where 9"F"-n lbs came from between yesterday's lunch and then dinner? :eek:

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F!!!!!!

That spicy mustard on each slice of bread, on each integrated mini layer of CB and pastrami.... OMG, I think something just happened to me again ... just thinking about IT!!!!! I love to reflect! :D

Ozzie - are you available next week? I am free on Monday night (24 rocks), Wednesday and Friday!!! :D

cl15876
03-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Silly girl!!!!! CL (obvious) and 15876 (house number) - lol :D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Ozzie - are you available next week? I am free on Monday night (24 rocks), Wednesday and Friday!!! :D
Available for what?

cl15876
03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
...... That spicy mustard on each slice of bread, on each integrated mini layer of CB and pastrami.... OMG, I think something just happened to me again ... just thinking about IT!!!!! .... :D

Available for what?

For another visit to NY!!!!! :rolleyes: I am sure that you and the Carnegie folks are now on a first name basis and then there is that authentic NY Pizza Place you mentioned, yumm!!! I'm getting hungry all over again!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2009, 10:25 PM
For another visit to NY!!!!! :rolleyes: I am sure that you and the Carnegie folks are now on a first name basis and then there is that authentic NY Pizza Place you mentioned, yumm!!! I'm getting hungry all over again!
LOL! No, don't have time to make another pastrami run. My arteries can't take it that soon! :D:eek::cool:

cl15876
03-20-2009, 11:41 PM
LOL! No, don't have time to make another pastrami run. My arteries can't take it that soon! :D:eek::cool:

I hear Ya!!!! Just need some more seafood!!!! I hear fish oil is great for the arteries! :D

DukePA
03-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Stevo and I enjoyed Carnegie Deli corned beef on seedless rye for lunch today. OMG!!! It was even better than expected and there is still enough meat left over for two more sammiches! I adore deli cause Jew food is good for da soul!

Thank you again, Ozzie! I'm also still full from the pizza yesterday. Maybe the diet will begin again on Monday :rolleyes:

OZZIE4DUKE
03-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Stevo and I enjoyed Carnegie Deli corned beef on seedless rye for lunch today. OMG!!! It was even better than expected and there is still enough meat left over for two more sammiches! I adore deli cause Jew food is good for da soul!

Thank you again, Ozzie! I'm also still full from the pizza yesterday. Maybe the diet will begin again on Monday :rolleyes:
You're welcome! I aims to please! :cool:

Lavabe
03-21-2009, 06:09 PM
You're welcome! I aims to please! :cool:

If only you'd make a road trip west!:D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-21-2009, 06:43 PM
If only you'd make a road trip west!:D
But first I'd have to make a trip north. ;)

Folks, I feel your pain. Let me tell you something. Actually two things:
1) 800-334-5606
2) 212-757-2245

Those are the phone numbers for Carnegie Deli. Call them! Look online at their web site www.carnegiedeli.com (http://www.carnegiedeli.com) for their menu, including prices. Order what you want. They will pack it up and ship it to you on ice, FedEx overnight. They are very experienced at doing this! They will take a credit card for payment (that's almost* the only time they do). They don't charge extra, only the cost of shipping, which will cost much less than gas money to NYC and back. Tomorrow, OK, on Tuesday you can be enjoying the delights of the world's best corned beef and pastrami in your own home (with apologies to StrayGator and Budwom, who both mistakinly think Katz's is better :rolleyes:).

A couple of hints. First, order the sandwiches and not just meat by the pound. (Devildeac and I are BIG fans of the Woody Allen - you get both corned beef and pastrami!) You get more meat for your dollar with the sandwiches. Make sure they include lots of pickles and both Russian Dressing and mustard (they will!). And do order a cheesecake for desert. Skip the cole slaw - it's good, but not any better than I buy at the local WalMart for way less then $4.95/pint. (And while you're at WalMart, buy a loaf or two of rye bread to make your sandwiches on.) And, oh yes, be sure to invite your local cardiologist to dine with you, just in case!

When should you do this? Anytime! Back in 2001, several local DBR readers/posters had a Final Four party. We ordered in and then enjoyed watching Duke beat Maryland in the semi-final game. Worked so well we did it again on Monday night for the win over Kansas! Good karma? You bet! Since I'm not planning a trip to Detroit, I'm hoping for a repeat! :cool:

*At the restaurant, they are cash only. When I called in my order Wednesday morning, before picking it up an hour later, I sweet talked Esther into taking my CC, even though they normally would have insisted on cash. I told her this was for shipping to north carolina, and I was sending a courier to pick it up! She laughed and graciously took my Visa number.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I am so sad :mad:. I finished off the last of my Woody for breakfast this morning. Hot pastrami and corned beef for breakfast! Ymmmm-mmmm!

And a note to anyone who will partake in these delicacies in the future: there is a reason why, when in a really good deli such as Carnegie, you order a "hot pastrami sandwich". The meat is most flavorful when it is hot. Not cold, not room temperature and not lukewarm. Hot! Same goes for corned beef, so don't skimp on the microwaving when you reheat it (but don't go overboard and scorch it, either :rolleyes:, and for goodness sakes, don't burn your tongue on it - it shouldn't be THAT hot when you put it in your mouth).

Enjoy! :cool:

devildeac
03-22-2009, 10:31 AM
The turkey club made with the leftovers was pretty darned tasty, too.;)

TillyGalore
03-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I am so sad :mad:. I finished off the last of my Woody for breakfast this morning. Hot pastrami and corned beef for breakfast! Ymmmm-mmmm!

And a note to anyone who will partake in these delicacies in the future: there is a reason why, when in a really good deli such as Carnegie, you order a "hot pastrami sandwich". The meat is most flavorful when it is hot. Not cold, not room temperature and not lukewarm. Hot! Same goes for corned beef, so don't skimp on the microwaving when you reheat it (but don't go overboard and scorch it, either :rolleyes:, and for goodness sakes, don't burn your tongue on it - it shouldn't be THAT hot when you put it in your mouth).

Enjoy! :cool:

I had forgotten about warming up the pastrami and corned beef. Had two sammiches this afternoon, and warmed both up in the microwave. Ymmm corned beef and pastrami.

I have enough meat leftover to last me until probably Tuesday, maybe longer. Knights68 isn't a pastrami/corned beef kind of guy. More for me.

Ozzie, Knight and I did enjoy the pickles. :D

TillyGalore
03-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I had forgotten about warming up the pastrami and corned beef. Had two sammiches this afternoon, and warmed both up in the microwave. Ymmm corned beef and pastrami.

I have enough meat leftover to last me until probably Tuesday, maybe longer. Knights68 isn't a pastrami/corned beef kind of guy. More for me.

Ozzie, Knight and I did enjoy the pickles. :D

As noted above, I have plenty of pastrami and corned beef left over. Any thoughts on how else to partake of these two delicacies other than sammiches?

devildeac
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
As noted above, I have plenty of pastrami and corned beef left over. Any thoughts on how else to partake of these two delicacies other than sammiches?

1. It's still a sammich, but I often use the last serving or two to make a Reuben or a Rachel. Love that sauerkraut, 1000 Island dressing and swiss on a sammy or two.
2. Corned beef hash?
3. Garnish on a salad?
4. Frame it?:o:eek:
5. Pastrami or corned beef floats:rolleyes:?

Yea, getting desperate there for uses for week old luncheon meats.:o

OZZIE4DUKE
03-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Well I'll be happy to stop by and pick up your leftovers for, uh, disposal! :D

TillyGalore
03-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Well I'll be happy to stop by and pick up your leftovers for, uh, disposal! :D

Why am I not surprised? I'm going to have a heart and die of not surprise. ;):D

Anyone remember what movie the above line was in?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, my friends, I was wrong. There is a 10F in pastrami, and I had it last Friday afternoon while driving up to NYC. At Bjornolf's recommendation, I stopped at Chutzpah Deli in Tyson's Corner, VA. There is also a location in Fairfax, VA., and I would think the pastrami would be the same.

Here, for my 4,000th post, and elevation to All American 3rd team status, is my review, as posted some other Crazie place the other day:

Chutzpah Deli, Tysons Corner, VA.

OH MY GOD!!!!!

The pastrami was incredible! Got there and went to the take out counter and told them they came highly recommended and was very comparable to "the mother ship - Carnegie Deli". Yes, I said it just like that, and they laughed. I asked if I could have a taste of both the pastrami and corned beef, with the intention of buying a combo sandwich to go. They gave me a full slice (about 8" long, just sliced) of pastrami and my eyes bugged out as I tasted it. (I look forward to eating at Carnegie on Sunday, but I might just have a new standard. It was THAT good. The flavor was incredible.)

I then tried the corned beef. It was good, but I have always liked pastrami better because of the more intense taste.

I got the large (12 oz. of meat) pastrami (not a combo) on rye. It was nicely heated! I asked for and got 3 extra slices of rye bread. Free! I made a nice half sandwich in the parking lot and ate it before I left. Then I ate strips of pastrami for the next hour or so while driving, until they ran out :( I then ate the bread that had all the delicious pastrami flavor soaked into it. And the pickles they included were good too!While I didn't go to Carnegie on Sunday morning due to the snow, Devildeac did and I have been enjoying the Woody he got for me since yesterday. While Carnegie's pastrami is delicious, it's only second best. I guess I have to demote it to 8 1/2 F's so Chutzpah can get the 9F rating. There is, afterall, nothing better than 9F !

All-American, 3rd Team

devildeac
12-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Well, my friends, I was wrong. There is a 10F in pastrami, and I had it last Friday afternoon while driving up to NYC. At Bjornolf's recommendation, I stopped at Chutzpah Deli in Tyson's Corner, VA. There is also a location in Fairfax, VA., and I would think the pastrami would be the same.

Here, for my 4,000th post, and elevation to All American 3rd team status, is my review, as posted some other Crazie place the other day:

While I didn't go to Carnegie on Sunday morning due to the snow, Devildeac did and I have been enjoying the Woody he got for me since yesterday. While Carnegie's pastrami is delicious, it's only second best. I guess I have to demote it to 8 1/2 F's so Chutzpah can get the 9F rating. There is, afterall, nothing better than 9F !

:ymparty: :ymapplause: ^:)^ :)) =))(more crazietalk...)

Congrats!

JBDuke
12-23-2009, 02:32 AM

While I didn't go to Carnegie on Sunday morning due to the snow, Devildeac did and I have been enjoying the Woody he got for me since yesterday. While Carnegie's pastrami is delicious, it's only second best. I guess I have to demote it to 8 1/2 F's so Chutzpah can get the 9F rating. There is, afterall, nothing better than 9F !

The Fairfax location is plenty convenient for me. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the recco, Ozzie!

Channing
12-23-2009, 08:29 AM
For those in and around Atlanta, you must try Patak Meats. Patak is a Bavarian butcher. His meats, including and especially the Pastrami, are out of this world, and far less expensive than the grocery store.

http://www.patakmeats.com/

rasputin
12-23-2009, 05:07 PM

Ah, that's the Nadia Comenici syndrome. Or is it Mary Lou Retton?