PDA

View Full Version : Duke All Under-Appreciated Team 1988/Present

DUKIE V(A)
02-02-2009, 10:47 PM
While we have been fortunate to have an amazing number of All-Americans and players talented enough to leave school early over the past 20 years, we have also been blessed with a huge number of players who played 4 years of college basketball, did not receive All-American recognition, but were incredibly valuable to Duke. I thought it would be fun and challenging to come up with an All "Under-Appreciated" Team from the 88/89 team through the present. I know Duke does not play with players at the traditional 1through 5 positions, but I tried to come up with a five man team that included a line-up that is well balanced.

I used the following criteria to form my "Under-Appreciated" team:

1. No player could have received AP All-American status from 1989 through present (First through Third teams). This eliminated Ferry, Laettner, Hurley, G. Hill, Langdon, McCaffrey (at Vandy), Battier, Carrawell, Duhon, Redick, and Williams.

2. Players had to play 4 years of college basketball (though not necessarily at Duke).

3. I eliminated Singler and G. Henderson from consideration given that they are extremely likely to violate at least one the above rules for forming the team (hopefully just number 1) based on this year's performance.

Here's my team:

G Nolan Smith (07-Present)-- Perhaps the biggest surprise on my team, but I think he warrants inclusion based on his defensive intensity and his offensive improvement and potential. He is currently averaging 10.2 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 1.9 APG, and 1.1 SPG and is shooting 46.0% from the field, 37.5% from three point land, and 86% from the line. I expect his offensive numbers and floor game will only improve in the next 2 and a half seasons.

G Thomas Hill (90-93)-- Playing on teams with some many stars, T. Hill quietly went about his business on both ends of the floor. He was a great defender, very good shooter, could drive and finish, and was an excellent rebounder for his position. He finished his career with 2 National Titles, 3 Final Four Appearances and career averages of 11.3 PPG and 3.5 RPG while shooting 51.9% from the field (including 38.6% from the Land O Plenty). He averaged 15.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, and 1.6 SPG during his stellar senior season.

F Dahntay Jones (01-03)-- Dahntay transferred to Duke and had two great seasons averaging 14.3 PPG on 48.5% shooting. From what I hear, he was also was a big positive for the 2001 National Championship team during practice (when he was forced to sit out due to the transfer). Dahntay brought a much needed swagger and defensive intensity to the team as well as 17.7 PPG, 5.5 RPG, and 1.2 SPG his senior season.

F Roshawn McLeod (96 - 98) -- Another sucessful transfer. Roshwan averaged 13.6, 5.4RPG, .9 BPG, and 1.0 SPG during his two seasons at Duke. I feel that he was a very under-rated factor in Duke's resurgence as a National Championship Contender. What I remember the most about Roshawn was telling his teammates to give him the ball in a huge and hard fouught NCAA victory over a very good Oklahoma State team. He delivered huge in that game and even though his team went on to lose in difficult fashion to Kentucky in the Elite Eight, I think he helped us gain a confidence in the NCAA tournament that is less valued than perhaps it should be.

C Cherokee Parks (92-95)-- Finished his career with a National Championship and a second NCAA Finals Appearance. Averaged 19.0 PPG, 9.3 RPG, and 1.8 BPG as a senior in helping Duke back into the NCAA Tournament as a senior. His career averages of 12.5 PPG, 6.7 RPG, and 1.8 BPG aren't too shabby. He also shot 55.1% from the field and 77.6% from the line for his career. The Chief was damn good.

I left off many, many other deserving players and would love to hear your opinion as to who you would put on this team.

Jumbo
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I literally haven't even read your post yet -- I will -- but I saw the thread title and immediately thought about Thomas Hill. Sure enough, I scanned your post and he's there. He's the captain of this squad, no matter who else is on it.

CameronBornAndBred
02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
According to rule #2, you can't include Nolan.

roywhite
02-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Tony Lang and Daniel Ewing come to mind.

CameronBornAndBred
02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Dan Meagher

dukemsu
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I nominate:

Greg Koubek
John Smith
Nate James

CameronBornAndBred
02-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Dan Meagher
Crap, I broke a rule, he was pre 1988. This is harder than I expected.

WojoSay?
02-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Steve Wojciechowski at point (based on your requirements), but all of these players were greatly appreciated in my book!

RelativeWays
02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Definitely Daniel and Rosh fit this to a tee. Good players that really helped their respective teams become much better. I felt the 06 team really missed Daniel more than people realize. When JJ started to falter towards the end, Daniles outside shot would have been a good compliment. Roshawn, well, just a great player and was really important to Duke's return to form during the 96/97 season.

Other guys...hmmm... Antonio Lang doesn't get a lot of credit outside of Duke fans but he was a really good utility player. Greg Koubek in 91 was almost an entirely different player than his previous years, his senior leadership was key. Phil Henderson doesn't get a lot of credit and was moody at times, but he was a good shooter and I really think he played with a chip on his shoulder that helped establish that Duke swagger.

Cherokee will forever be my most disappointing Duke player, not because he didn't produce numbers wise, but he really did not step up to lead the 95 team when that team desperately needed a leader. Seniors are supposed to step up, but it well known that Cherokee did not have anywhere near a type A personality. I used to think Laettner was kind of a prick for jumping on Cherokee during his freshman year, now I see why he did. He needed another year to toughen that kid up, because he just wilted after Grant Hill left.

yancem
02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Dan Meagher

Good pick but he was prior to the 1989 cut off (although I'm not sure why 1989 was used as a starting point) Billy King would be another guy I would include if we included the entire K era.

Keeping with the state rules I would have to say Chris Carrawell. I know he won the acc player of the year but he rarely gets the credit he deservers. He guarded all 5 positions at one point or another and while he often scared me when he tried to dribble too much, he was a clutch scorer.

BlueintheFace
02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I literally haven't even read your post yet -- I will -- but I saw the thread title and immediately thought about Thomas Hill. Sure enough, I scanned your post and he's there. He's the captain of this squad, no matter who else is on it.

CHALLENGE! Roshown Mcleod at least has a decent case here.

Argument:

He was the leading scorer for a Duke team that lost just ONE ACC GAME and went 32-4 on the season, and NOBODY ever references him EVER in discussions about Duke Basketball, especially on this board. At least Thomas Hill gets tossed in to discussions about who X player reminds them of since he is a glue guy/ all-purpose guy. I'm not saying Thomas Hill doesn't deserve the honor of captain, but Mcleod has to be in that discussion.

I'd also like to nominate:

Kevin Strickland and Marty Clark

Jumbo
02-02-2009, 11:33 PM
CHALLENGE! Roshown Mcleod at least has a decent case here.

Argument:

He was the leading scorer for a Duke team that lost just ONE ACC GAME and went 32-4 on the season, and NOBODY ever references him EVER in discussions about Duke Basketball, especially on this board. At least Thomas Hill gets tossed in to discussions about who X player reminds them of since he is a glue guy/ all-purpose guy. I'm not saying Thomas Hill doesn't deserve the honor of captain, but Mcleod has to be in that discussion.

I'd also like to nominate:

Kevin Strickland and Marty Clark

Kevin Strickland was the next guy I was going to bring up. Marty, sadly, doesn't belong in the conversation with these other guys.

Where does Brickey fit into this?

superdave
02-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Koubek guarded Larry Johnson pretty well in 1991 if I recall correctly.

Paulus was the last man standing in 2007 when our season slipped away. He fought hard enough for the whole team. I'll always appreciate that.

Thomas Hill scored a lot more than folks remember.

Hmmm, what about Erik Meek?

BlueintheFace
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Kevin Strickland was the next guy I was going to bring up. Marty, sadly, doesn't belong in the conversation with these other guys.

Where does Brickey fit into this?

Below Brian Davis (if he qualifies) and above Ricky Price?

Yah, Marty was a stretch. I was a closet Marty Clark fanatic, which explains that.

JDev
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Tony Lang and Brian Davis were two guys who did not become double figure scorers until their respective senior years, but they were both important players throughout their careers on some really great Duke teams. They were crucial role guys on teams full of superstars.

I also think a great argument could be made for every member of the current Duke coaching staff: Wojo, Collins, Nate, and C-Well (though C-Well might violate a rule as having been an AA, but I don't remember. I know he was ACC POY, and one usually begets the other).

sagegrouse
02-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey guys. Guard Phil Henderson (1987-1990) has to be on that team.

(a) He was on three FF teams, two as a starting SG.

(b) He was the leading scorer on the 1990 national runner-up team (ahead of Christian and Alaa).

And (c) he is the owner of one of the top five dunks in Duke basketball history, slamming one home against Alonzo Mourning and top seeded Georgetown in the 1989 regional finals. After that play by Phil, Laettner said, "I just ran down the court screaming at the top of my lungs."

I like the rest of the picks.

sagegrouse
'Phil would rank ahead of Koubek and Brian Davis from his era and also THill and Lang from the teams just after'

Master Shake
02-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Served well in a tough time for Duke Basketball.

DUKIE V(A)
02-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I totally forgot to even consider Daniel Ewing. Great call on that one...This is part of the reason why I started this post...It is great to remember some who don't always come to mind right away...Ewing should have come to mind but didn'tfor me...It's funny that Roshawn McLeod has his own link below...I was putting my All Under-Appreciated team together even before I saw that excellent series of posts. Glad so many others think so highly of Roshawn.

Perhaps I should have included more years than since 1988..I went with that because that's when I started at Duke and it is a twenty year period. I would not have known players prior to say 1985 well enough to say who I thought should be on the team...

As for rule #2, I intended to add that the player would have had to play four years of college or be likely to do so. My bad.

BlueintheFace
02-03-2009, 12:14 AM
whoa, i didn't see the Mcleod thread either. There goes a big part of my argument against Jumbo. Boy is my face red.... Still...

DUKIE V(A)
02-03-2009, 12:18 AM
For the record...

Phil Henderson 87-90 -- Averaged 12.1 PPG and shot 48.4% from the field including 40% from distance. Anyone who saw him play in person as I was lucky enough to do for two years would swear he never missed an open shot and that he hit at least 50% from 3. He averaged 18.5 PPG, and 1.1 SPG as a senior. He was also a surprisingly good rebounder given his slight frame. He pulled down nearly 4 boards a game as a senior.

In the end, I gave the slight edge to T. Hill at the G position but it was a tough choice (and perhaps the wrong one).

bulldog44
02-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Hey guys. Guard Phil Henderson (1987-1990) has to be on that team.

(a) He was on three FF teams, two as a starting SG.

(b) He was the leading scorer on the 1990 national runner-up team (ahead of Christian and Alaa).

And (c) he is the owner of one of the top five dunks in Duke basketball history, slamming one home against Alonzo Mourning and top seeded Georgetown in the 1989 regional finals. After that play by Phil, Laettner said, "I just ran down the court screaming at the top of my lungs."

I like the rest of the picks.

sagegrouse
'Phil would rank ahead of Koubek and Brian Davis from his era and also THill and Lang from the teams just after'

I commented on that dunk in another thread on here. One of the best dunks I have seen, not simply for the style but the david/goliath like scenario and the just timing of it. Phenomenal.

I would have to say Phil Henderson and Koubek were some of my favorite players. Regarding Meagher, I would put him Hurley, Laetnner, Brand and Dahntay Jones on my starting five for most likely to literally whip the opponents butt team. I could add others but these came to mind the quickest.

CameronCrazy'11
02-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Of the current players, Jon Scheyer really comes to mind.

Cameron
02-03-2009, 02:11 AM
In terms of program significance, I'd definitely throw in Chris Collins, as Collins, despite the fact that he was a central pillar on which post '98 Duke success flourished, is rarely ever talked about as a historically great player. Which I think he, based on what he helped do for Duke, was.

After falling to 13 wins in 1994-95 our program was definitely in need of a cast of hard-nosed, We-can-conquer-the-world type of players in order to build Rome back from the rubble, and Chris Collins was the leader of that pack. He had more belief in his own abilities than perhaps anyone I have ever watched play the game of basketball. He thought he was the greatest thing to ever walk on a court, and that mentality worked for him. He had a nasty streak about him, a never back down frame of mind seeped in constant energy and unshakable confidence, which were qualities that allowed him to take and make big shots for Duke -- shots that literally saved Duke from falling further into obscurity after '95's forgettable winter.

Case in point, Duke at NC State, 1996. As most everyone here knows, the Blue Devils entered Reynolds Coliseum that day 0-4 in the Atlantic Coast Conference race, in a season that looked to be heading downward, in a quick spiral. Then Chris Collins, the upstart gunner from suburban Illinois, the kid with all the self-conviction in the world, decided to roll the dice. With Duke trailing two with just seconds left to play, Collins took a pass 30 feet out front, on a play that was designed for Ricky Price, and lined up the game-winning basket. The shot, which I am sure gave near heart attacks to many watching, fell cleanly through the nylon after hitting just about every part of the rim. It may not have been perfect, but the shot was one of the biggest this program has ever seen, as it propelled Duke to win eight of its last 12 league games.

Collins scored 1,091 career points, including averaging 10.0 PPG on Duke's '94 national runner up club, dished out 291 assists, and grabbed 243 rebounds. The consummate outside shooter, Collins drilled 44.1 percent of his long-range attempts as a senior, adding to his career mark that finished just below the 40 percent mark. (This was largely due, however, to the fact that he suffered considerable injury setback most of his junior season, a year in which his shooting percentage took a big hit.)

Collins is obviously still talked about a great deal in the Duke lexicon, but that's largely because he's still a part of our staff, and not a result, most times, of his playing days. He was the original JJ Redick, in terms of shooting prowess, unlimited range, and in-your-face aura, and he helped turn our program around.

If my words aren't enough (and they most certainly are not), then maybe Coach K's are:

"Chris was a bridge to greatness for Duke basketball. He put passion and guts and inspiration back into our team. His heart led us to the NCAA Tournament that year [1995-96] and helped us win the league championship the very next season. Because, even though he had graduated, two underclassmen [Wojo and Langdon] had taken particular notice of the example he set."

-Coach K, in John Roth's The Encyclopedia of Duke Basketball

Collins was definitely one of my all-time favorites, especially considering he played during the era I became an obsessed fan.

Ian
02-03-2009, 02:42 AM
I'd definitely second Chris Collins, I don't think he got nearly enough credit from Duke fans, I don't think enough of them could get over the fact he missed the 3 against Arkansas in the finals.

davekay1971
02-03-2009, 07:28 AM
kevin strickland was the next guy i was going to bring up. Marty, sadly, doesn't belong in the conversation with these other guys.

Where does brickey fit into this?

marty doesn't foul!

bjornolf
02-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Can we please start spelling R.O.S.H.O.W.N. correctly? It's killing me that even though posters have spelled it correctly since the thread starter, two others, including the thread starter, are STILL spelling it wrong. Sorry, I agree that he belongs on this list, but I also think that he deserves the respect of having his name spelled correctly in it. There is no "A" in Roshown!

blueprofessor
02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Tony Lang and Brian Davis were two guys who did not become double figure scorers until their respective senior years, but they were both important players throughout their careers on some really great Duke teams. They were crucial role guys on teams full of superstars.

I also think a great argument could be made for every member of the current Duke coaching staff: Wojo, Collins, Nate, and C-Well (though C-Well might violate a rule as having been an AA, but I don't remember. I know he was ACC POY, and one usually begets the other).

,as FSU's Coach Pat Kennedy lamented, he caused huge matchup problems for other teams.
He was a very efficient player with a senior year of 12.5 points and 5.4 rebounds per game, all-ACC 3rd team, co-captain, and all-Final Four team.
He was good enough to play 6 seasons in the NBA,having been drafted by Phoenix in the second round.:)

Best regards---Blueprofessor:)

P.S. Roshown McLeod was a 3rd team all-America selection and 1st team all-ACC.:)

mepanchin
02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
David McClure.

In 07, we started 18-3 and were playing consistently good defense up to that 21 game mark, allowing only 3 teams to score over 1 point per possession against us. After that, we allowed over 1 point per possession in 10 of our remaining 12 games, and over 1.1 points per possession in our final 4. This also happened to correlate with McClure injuring his knee against Boston College and never quite being the same.

All you need to do is watch McClure in any game he's in this year to notice the impact he has. We rant and rave about Singler and Henderson for good reason, but McClure's impact is often overlooked. He is an NBA caliber defender who doesn't have much to offer on offense, so his contributions often go unappreciated. He is the perfect guy for this team.

jv001
02-03-2009, 09:50 AM
While I cannot argue with the first team, I would say that these guys get consideration and would make someones team.
1. Phil Henderson..don't see how we can leave him off
2. D-Mark Senior 14.5/4.7 and great defense
3. Ala Abdelnaby Senior 15.1/6.6 Career= 8.5/3.7
4. J. Capel Senior 12.4/2.8 Career= 12.4/3.0/3.4asst
5. Nate James Senior 11.0/4.5 Career= 8.3/3.7 and toughness
6. R. Brickey Senior 11.7/5.4 Career= 9.7/4.8
7. C. Collins Senior 16.3/3.8 Career 9.1/2.0/2.4 asst
8. Kevin Strickland Senior 16.1/4.5 Career 8.8/3.0/1.0 asst
9. Billy King..just throw out his offensive numbers and think DEFENSE
10. Marty becasue he doesn't foul
Go Duke!

davekay1971
02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Jay Heaps! Anyone who can annoy McInnis that badly is an all-star in my book.

roywhite
02-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Let's put Jay Bilas on the coaching staff of this under-appreciated team. Not everyone remembers that he coached for a period of time, and look at the hoops expert he has become. :)

JDev
02-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Speaking of coaches, both current and former, Tommy Amaker came to mind, but he just misses the cut as class of '87. He was the perfect and final ingredient to go with Johnny Dawkins's great class, and to ultimately form the great '86 team. He allowed JD to move off the point and become more of a scorer, and he was a Duke guy in every sense of the word, including his on-ball defense. After JD and company left he became a double-figure scorer his senior year and led Duke to the Sweet 16.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
The name Trajan Langdon come to mind for his pure shooting and his toughness.

roywhite
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
The name Trajan Langdon come to mind for his pure shooting and his toughness.

Check those rules, Miss Principal. :) Excluded in point 1 of the original post.

Most names have been mentioned; I have to agree with those that make the case for Phil Henderson.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Check those rules, Miss Principal. :) Excluded in point 1 of the original post.

Most names have been mentioned; I have to agree with those that make the case for Phil Henderson.

You're right! A little while after posting that I remembered that Trajan was disqualified because of being named All America more than once. Just shows what passing of time does to the mind as a source of data ...... so much information to sort through, so many distractions!

I think there are also some names from before the cut off date worth mentioning, but I'll follow the rules..... this time.

AtlBluRew
02-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Case in point, Duke at NC State, 1996. As most everyone here knows, the Blue Devils entered Reynolds Coliseum that day 0-4 in the Atlantic Coast Conference race, in a season that looked to be heading downward, in a quick spiral. Then Chris Collins, the upstart gunner from suburban Illinois, the kid with all the self-conviction in the world, decided to roll the dice. With Duke trailing two with just seconds left to play, Collins took a pass 30 feet out front, on a play that was designed for Ricky Price, and lined up the game-winning basket. The shot, which I am sure gave near heart attacks to many watching, fell cleanly through the nylon after hitting just about every part of the rim. It may not have been perfect, but the shot was one of the biggest this program has ever seen, as it propelled Duke to win eight of its last 12 league games.

Is that the shot that Collins followed up by doing a funky celebratory trot down the court, only to twist his ankle and fall? I remember clearly that the opponent was NC State. I watched that game with my usual group of Duke friends and all of us laughed when he went down (it wasn't an injury to anythign but perhaps his pride).

sagegrouse
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Check those rules, Miss Principal. :) Most names have been mentioned; I have to agree with those that make the case for Phil Henderson.

Coming four years after David Henderson and twenty years before Gerald Henderson, Phil Henderson is easily forgotten -- except for those of us who remember that electrifying dunk on Alonzo Mourning.

sagegrouse

JDev
02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Coming four years after David Henderson and twenty years before Gerald Henderson, Phil Henderson is easily forgotten -- except for those of us who remember that electrifying dunk on Alonzo Mourning.

sagegrouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIxFvMmcmc

I couldn't love YouTube more than I do.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2009, 12:34 PM

sagegrouse

We oldsters have to stick together!

Great description. You must have written for the newspaper;).

Edouble
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
C Cherokee Parks (92-95)-- Finished his career with a National Championship and a second NCAA Finals Appearance. Averaged 19.0 PPG, 9.3 RPG, and 1.8 BPG as a senior in helping Duke back into the NCAA Tournament as a senior. His career averages of 12.5 PPG, 6.7 RPG, and 1.8 BPG aren't too shabby. He also shot 55.1% from the field and 77.6% from the line for his career. The Chief was damn good.

I left off many, many other deserving players and would love to hear your opinion as to who you would put on this team.

I'm suprised that noone picked up on this, but Chief's senior year we missed the NCAAs.

I like everyone's lists. Here's mine:

Steve Wojichowski
Thomas Hill
Daniel Ewing
Antonio Lang
Roshown McLeod

6th man: Brian Davis (just 'cause I only saw him mentioned once).

bird
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
To me the question is those who were "underappreciated," not those who were the best after you eliminate the top performers.

I discount Phil's and Ala's peak statistical contributions. I may underappreciated them, but I's gots my reasons.

I like John Smith and THill, particularly the latter who lived in the shade. Capel maybe as well - the man bled Duke blue in some dark days, and maybe wasn't given enough love for it. But I have to vote THill most underappreciated viz contributions. Think about it - a key cog in TWO national championships, but having to play fourth fiddle to Hurley-Hill-Laetner, the three names come off the tongue together almost automatically, three massive figures in the Duke pantheon. Talk about being in the shade.

Billy King was celebrated in his time - by no means was he underappreciated. Same for Brian Davis. Chris' on-court personality was a bit controversial, but I also think he had a front-and-center profile in his time and was not underappreciated. Wojo was not underappreciated; indeed, he was the dominant personality of his teams. The Crazies, the national media and, most particularly, opposing fans, gave him the direct focus. Nate James was almost a more of a cult of personality than a human being. I think Brickey was actually overappreciated viz his accomplishments due to the spectacular aspects of his on-court work.

BD80
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Andre Buckner - 4 years of contribution in practice, one phenomenal confrontation.

No amount of appreciation is enough.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Andre Buckner - 4 years of contribution in practice, one phenomenal confrontation.

No amount of appreciation is enough.

Hear! Hear!

3rd Dukie
02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
if Billy King deserves to be on this list.

He might agree.

jv001
02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
To me the question is those who were "underappreciated," not those who were the best after you eliminate the top performers.

I discount Phil's and Ala's peak statistical contributions. I may underappreciated them, but I's gots my reasons.

I like John Smith and THill, particularly the latter who lived in the shade. Capel maybe as well - the man bled Duke blue in some dark days, and maybe wasn't given enough love for it. But I have to vote THill most underappreciated viz contributions. Think about it - a key cog in TWO national championships, but having to play fourth fiddle to Hurley-Hill-Laetner, the three names come off the tongue together almost automatically, three massive figures in the Duke pantheon. Talk about being in the shade.

Billy King was celebrated in his time - by no means was he underappreciated. Same for Brian Davis. Chris' on-court personality was a bit controversial, but I also think he had a front-and-center profile in his time and was not underappreciated. Wojo was not underappreciated; indeed, he was the dominant personality of his teams. The Crazies, the national media and, most particularly, opposing fans, gave him the direct focus. Nate James was almost a more of a cult of personality than a human being. I think Brickey was actually overappreciated viz his accomplishments due to the spectacular aspects of his on-court work.

If you base the list on underappreciated, Jeff Capel would have to head this list. He was the only player that I can remember being booed by Duke fans. There are not that many players that were not appreciated. Some were just apprerciated more than others. Looking at it this way it's a short list. Go Duke!

dukebsbll14
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
How about Lee Melchionni?

I enjoyed watching him hitting that 3 on the wing and slapping the floor, but most of all the Lee,Lee,Lee (swaying side to side) chant by the Crazies

GO DUKE!!!

SupaDave
02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
How about Lee Melchionni?

I enjoyed watching him hitting that 3 on the wing and slapping the floor, but most of all the Lee,Lee,Lee (swaying side to side) chant by the Crazies

GO DUKE!!!

My votes are for Buckner and Melchionni.

Melchionni more so than Buckner b/c he actually played. It wasn't just the fact that he played though - Melchionni thought of himself as a starter and when he came in - he shot the ball.

I joke with my best friend often that if we could hypnotize McClure with Melchionni's shooter's mentality then we'd be something serious.