PDA

View Full Version : March Madness games you'd love to happen?

houstondukie
02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
UConn vs. Wake Forest: The two biggest teams in America

Oklahoma vs. Pittsburgh: DeJuan Blair vs. Blake Griffen

Clemson vs. Marquette: ACC vs. Big East

DUKE vs. unc: hell freezes over?

WojoSay?
02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
I would be too nervous to watch.

geraldsneighbor
02-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I think one game that is Feb. 21st that will be a treat is Davidson-Butler. These two teams epitomize what makes March what it is.

Other fantasy games:
Connecticut vs. Wake Forest: The guards and bigs would be a fun match-up.

Duke vs. Louisville: Terrence Williams and G on the same floor would be a good one.

Duke vs. Pittsburgh: A re-match from last year's December thriller at the Garden. I was there and it was a war on the inside and it wore on our guys shooting I believe 14-26 from the FT line. I think we match up much better against them this year, atleast on the perimeter. Obviously Blair is a tough player to stop.

I would love to get a shot to beat UConn along the way for some revenge, but after tonight they looked like they could be the team to beat. I think it'll be tough for a Big East team to win it all because of how strong the league is and how it wears on you physically. Connecticut has been the one team in years past who has been able to do it though.

brevity
02-03-2009, 12:15 AM

There MUST be a few threads about this already, but put me in the camp that says these two teams should never, EVER meet in the NCAA Tournament. That's just instant misery in the Triangle area -- for everybody before the game, and for a huge chunk of unfortunate people later. I know some fans want to see it happen, but trust me, nothing good can come of this.

Well, one good thing: it would be on CBS, so Dick Vitale would not be commenting on the game.

devildownunder
02-03-2009, 07:28 AM
I would be too nervous to watch.

Yeah, that's armageddon. I'd have to think I'd trade every other win ever NOT to lose that game. It would just be too horrible.

hurleyfor3
02-03-2009, 09:19 AM
The 16 seed in unc's bracket vs. whoever wins the 8/9 game

jv001
02-03-2009, 01:35 PM
UConn vs. Wake Forest: The two biggest teams in America

Oklahoma vs. Pittsburgh: DeJuan Blair vs. Blake Griffen

Clemson vs. Marquette: ACC vs. Big East

Duke vs. Oklahoma..Teacher(Coach K) vs. Student(Capel)
Pitt vs. UConn..two physical teams
Wake vs. unc (again) same result
Go Duke!

davekay1971
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
The 16 seed in unc's bracket vs. whoever wins the 8/9 game

Love it! The perfect game, IMHO.

There's a reason Duke-UNC has never happened in the NCAAs...aside from the fact that they'd almost always have to meet in the finals. The Almighty knows that it would lead to the utter destruction of most of North Carolina.

I believe the closest we've gotten is the 1991 tournament, when Ol Roy bounced his Lord and Master out on his butt (which at least prevented Deano from breaking his finger, as would have happened if he'd been bounced out on his nose).

If it ever happens, Duke had better win. I love living in NC, and won't be able to live here any longer if we actually lost to the 'Holes in an NCAA tourney game (particularly the championship game). The thought is too much to bear.

Edouble
02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
There MUST be a few threads about this already, but put me in the camp that says these two teams should never, EVER meet in the NCAA Tournament. That's just instant misery in the Triangle area -- for everybody before the game, and for a huge chunk of unfortunate people later. I know some fans want to see it happen, but trust me, nothing good can come of this.

Well, one good thing: it would be on CBS, so Dick Vitale would not be commenting on the game.

I agree 100%. It would take away from the excitement and signifigance of the next few years of regular season match-ups between the two teams.

I'd love to see Oklahoma vs. VCU in a second round game (possibly first round, but probably not).

I'd love for us to get a crack at Pitt.

Davidson vs. UCLA

A Georgetown and UNC rematch would be pretty cool. If the Hoyas make the tournament. ;)

DukieBoy
02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
UNC-UConn - probably the team that matches up best with the unc. And watching Thabeet destroy Hansbrough would never get old.

Duke-Butler - this is just for me personally. I am a student manager for the basketball team at our high school and Butler's starting center, Matt Howard, attended our high school. It would be fun to watch him play against Duke, although Duke would likely handle them easily

Louisville-Wake - two young, quick teams with big men in the middle. Would be one heck of a game.

OU-UConn - watching Thabeet and Griffin battle would be one for the ages.

flyingdutchdevil
02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Duke vs. Oklahoma..Teacher(Coach K) vs. Student(Capel)
Pitt vs. UConn..two physical teams
Wake vs. unc (again) same result
Go Duke!

Rather see Notre Dame (assistant) vs. Oklahoma (student). Don't know too much about teacher vs. assistant/student games in the tourney, but I do remember Duke vs Indiana where Duke won and Coach Knight left the arena without shaking Coach K's hand. Not that Coach K would ever do that if defeated (he's too classy) but I would hate to think about something like that.

Other games I would love to see:
-UNC (lots of talent, little team chemistry) vs Purdue (less talent, lots of team chemistry)
-WF vs Pitt (great post play and great point guards)
-Duke vs Marquette (I love it when these two teams play each other. Two teams with some of the best guards in the country)
-UNC vs UCONN (at least one of my two least favorite teams will exit ;))

JDev
02-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Pitt vs. UNC - this would be a great game

Oklahoma vs. Marquette - OU is very strong inside with Griffin, and all of Marquette's skill is on the perimeter. The contrasting make-ups would be fun

UConn vs. Duke - I might change my mind in March, as UConn appears to be the best team in the country. That being said, if you want to go far in March, the fact is you have to beat some really good teams. Thabeet is a dominant defensive force inside, but in this game he would be matched up against someone Duke doesn't need or expect a lot of points from, which could work in Duke's favor (I know he affects more than just his man, but he is much more dangerous when checking a team's top offensive force, like a Hansbrough or Harangody). The Singler/Adrien match-up would be a great one. It would also be nice to knock out the team that ended two of Duke's last three Final Fours.

BlueintheFace
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Duke v NJIT for the National Championship

Re: Duke v UNC- There is just too much to lose and one team's fan base would have the ULTIMATE trump card in every debate ever in North Carolina.

Re: Duke v Oklahoma- K does not want this and would hate it.

JDev
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM

Haha, they did win a game. Could that be the start of a March run?

lifelongdevil
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
the thought of a Duke-UNC matchup got me thinking, when has the national championship game been between two teams from the same conference(im relatively young so pre 1988 is beyond my knowledge base)?
Has it ever been between two acc teams?

the only example i know is Gtown-Villanova

Indoor66
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Never

pfrduke
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
There's only one March Madness game I really want to see:

Duke vs. Anybody But Carolina on April 6.

Philadukie
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Do you mind if I amend this by suggesting games I don't want to see?

Duke vs. Georgetown: Although they've fallen, they would be looking forward to this game as a point of redemption and a chance to make their mark in the Tourney. Monroe would not foul out of this game.

Duke vs. Marquette: Marquette is just playing very good right now, and I don't want to see this "best of three" series unfold in the Tournament.

Duke vs. Uconn: Not because I don't think we can beat them, but because if we don't beat them, I have to accept another good Duke team going down to Uconn. I hate Uconn. 1999 and 2004 were hard enough.

Anyone else I'm fine with.

sagegrouse
02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Re: Duke v UNC- There is just too much to lose and one team's fan base would have the ULTIMATE trump card in every debate ever in North Carolina.

I'll take a Duke vs. UNC NCAA match-up. It would be a FF game and maybe for the NC.

sagegrouse

crimsonandblue
02-03-2009, 06:06 PM
the thought of a Duke-UNC matchup got me thinking, when has the national championship game been between two teams from the same conference(im relatively young so pre 1988 is beyond my knowledge base)?

the only example i know is Gtown-Villanova

Kansas v. Oklahoma was 1988.

hurleyfor3
02-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Kansas v. Oklahoma was 1988.

Also Indiana/Michigan in 1976 and Villanova/Georgetown in 1985.

rasputin
02-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Re: Duke v Oklahoma- K does not want this and would hate it.

Couldn't be Duke v. NJIT, because they are an independent (no conference) and you hafta have a record above .500 to get an at-large bid.