PDA

View Full Version : The Crazies Cheer

fitimi1
02-01-2009, 08:59 PM
A couple of times during today's game, the Crazies seemed to have a specific cheer for one or more of the Virginia players. I could not "catch" what they were saying. Can someone clarify for me?

Thanks in advance

Hancock 4 Duke
02-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Me also, anything by the crazies is Unique. I think that one of them was "Mr. Plumlee clap clap clap-clap-clap"

FireOgilvie
02-01-2009, 10:38 PM
What were they saying when number 55 (Meyinsse) for Virginia was on the free throw line? They kept repeating it... I couldn't make it out from the Internet broadcast.

Lord Ash
02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
What were they saying when number 55 (Meyinsse) for Virginia was on the free throw line? They kept repeating it... I couldn't make it out from the Internet broadcast.

It wasn't just the internet broadcast... then again, I am really bad at making out words. Almost wish they had a closed caption sort of system just for the Crazies:)

Channing
02-01-2009, 10:56 PM

is he the one they were telling to tuck his shirt in?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Me also, anything by the crazies is Unique. I think that one of them was "Mr. Plumlee clap clap clap-clap-clap"
Perhaps it was "Mason Plumlee clap, clap, clap......" Mason was there as was Marshall.

JDev
02-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I was also wondering what they were chanting. The Crazies seem to do well against UVA. One of my favorites is still the "Shave your mustache" chant they gave Jason Cain, a UVA center a few years ago, when he was on the free throw line.

dukemomLA
02-02-2009, 01:22 AM
I also am frustrated when I don't know what the Crazies are chanting. I started a thread about this not to long ago, asking that a current Crazie, or someone who can attend the games, would post such chants.

A lot of chants are given to the students prior to the game, so....someone could post them for us. And as for other chants, someone could post after the fact. Come on students, give us a break.

I also would LOVE it if during broadcasts they would 'stream' the chants, but I don't think that's going to happen.

wisteria
02-02-2009, 02:37 AM
well, I don't remember much about the chants for UVa players, except the "tuck your shirt in".

But surely you heard the "Insert Johnson, clap, clap, clap clap clap" going on for what seemed like several minutes. And when he got in, the crazies sang a nice "Happy B-day" song for him. When he scored on that drive, the stadium just exploded with cheers.

Fun time.

CameronBornAndBred
02-02-2009, 08:31 AM
I also would LOVE it if during broadcasts they would 'stream' the chants, but I don't think that's going to happen.
I'd be rolling on the floor any games the refs met with such dissaproval they got the "bulls*#t" chant.

MonitorMom
02-02-2009, 08:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3866119

bulldog44
02-02-2009, 09:10 AM
well, I don't remember much about the chants for UVa players, except the "tuck your shirt in".

But surely you heard the "Insert Johnson, clap, clap, clap clap clap" going on for what seemed like several minutes. And when he got in, the crazies sang a nice "Happy B-day" song for him. When he scored on that drive, the stadium just exploded with cheers.

Fun time.

WOW. Not sure that was a good chant.

davekay1971
02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I'd be rolling on the floor any games the refs met with such dissaproval they got the "bulls*#t" chant.

Now for a stumble down memory lane...

Once when I was an undergrad (I think during the 89-90 season), Coach K chastised us for being too negative and vulgar, specifically with the bull**** chant. The next game we chanted "We beg to differ" when the refs blew a call. Classic moment in my Cameron memories.

Mr Blue Devil
02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I know at one point Henderson had 14 pts I believe to UVA's 11.

I was trying to listen for a "GERALDS WINNING" chant but couldn't tell :(

MulletMan
02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
WOW. Not sure that was a good chant.

Please. The insert Johnson chant has happened before and it will happen again. Long live Patrick Johnson!

I would like to mention mention one thing about the Crazies yesterday, however...

At the Maryland game, the band pulled a prank on the Crazies by starting to play "Every Time We Touch", but instead giving the Crazies a little Rick Roll by breaking into Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up". This upset some of the undergrads, although I spoke to a number of people who thought that it was pretty funny. Now, in retaliation, a portion of the undergrads, led by at least one of the undergraduate line monitors, organized a prank of thier own and got people to turn thier back on the band during "Wipeout" while the Devil was surfing.

OK... fine. You pranked them back. Be done with it, and move on.

But no. When the band played "Every Time We Touch" in the second half of the UVa game, the same undergrads who organized the "reprank" during Wipeout, tried to convince the crowd to not do thier little jump up and down dance to "Every Time We Touch". In fact, one of the undergrads, who I believe is a line monitor, took it upon himself to spend the entire song with his middle finger in the air flipping off the rest of the students who were enjoying the song.

I find this to be absolutely pathetic. I'm not one to come on and say that "It was better in Cameron when I was a student" and if you look at my posting history, my mantra has essentially been that the students each year should make Cameron thier own. However, I feel compelled to say that this is not appropriate in Cameron (or anywhere, frankly... but that's not germaine to this discussion). There are two issues here... one is that Coach K always says that the Crazies are part of the team. The team does not show disrespect to one another in this fashion, and consequently students should not be disrespectful to one another in this fashion. What do you tink K would have done if he'd noticed a student standing in the front row with middle finger extended? Furthermore, there's no reason to be divisive in the student section. Nor is there reason to waste time and energy figuring out ways to screw with each other when you could be using that time to get fired up to cheer against our opponent.

The band thing was a joke. You did yours back. Now get over it and move on.

Ders24
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM

It was there, I believe twice but could be wrong. Not sure how loud it got though.

Bluedog
02-02-2009, 10:27 AM

It was there, I believe twice but could be wrong. Not sure how loud it got though.

Loud enough to be mentioned in the AP article recap of the game. ;)

allenmurray
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
But no. When the band played "Every Time We Touch" in the second half of the UVa game, the same undergrads who organized the "reprank" during Wipeout, tried to convince the crowd to not do thier little jump up and down dance to "Every Time We Touch". In fact, one of the undergrads, who I believe is a line monitor, took it upon himself to spend the entire song with his middle finger in the air flipping off the rest of the students who were enjoying the song.

Agreed, for any CC (especially a Line Monitor) to give the band the finger whil e they play is inappropriate. What a (okay, I'll take care of it myself) I'm a wanker for saying this, etc., etc.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Please. The insert Johnson chant has happened before and it will happen again. Long live Patrick Johnson!

I would like to mention mention one thing about the Crazies yesterday, however...

At the Maryland game, the band pulled a prank on the Crazies by starting to play "Every Time We Touch", but instead giving the Crazies a little Rick Roll by breaking into Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up". This upset some of the undergrads, although I spoke to a number of people who thought that it was pretty funny. Now, in retaliation, a portion of the undergrads, led by at least one of the undergraduate line monitors, organized a prank of thier own and got people to turn thier back on the band during "Wipeout" while the Devil was surfing.

I find this to be absolutely pathetic. I'm not one to come on and say that "It was better in Cameron when I was a student" and if you look at my posting history, my mantra has essentially been that the students each year should make Cameron thier own. However, I feel compelled to say that this is not appropriate in Cameron (or anywhere, frankly... but that's not germaine to this discussion). There are two issues here... one is that Coach K always says that the Crazies are part of the team. The team does not show disrespect to one another in this fashion, and consequently students should not be disrespectful to one another in this fashion. What do you tink K would have done if he'd noticed a student standing in the front row with middle finger extended? Furthermore, there's no reason to be divisive in the student section. Nor is there reason to waste time and energy figuring out ways to screw with each other when you could be using that time to get fired up to cheer against our opponent.

Please remind me: how are line monitors selected?

bulldog44
02-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Not sure if you understand why I didn't think the chant was good or maybe you do and I am not understanding your support of a Male Basketball team having their own fans requesting to Insert Johnson. I am certain with the creativity of the Crazies they could redirect it so it is more of an insult to the opposing team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Not sure if you understand why I didn't think the chant was good or maybe you do and I am not understanding your support of a Male Basketball team having their own fans requesting to Insert Johnson. I am certain with the creativity of the Crazies they could redirect it so it is more of an insult to the opposing team.
I've been going to the men's basketball games for nearly 50 years. I don't recall the basketball team requesting the students to create any cheers. For the students to chant the name of one of the walk ons when there's a chance he might be sent into the game has been going on for a long time. The cheers aren't always about the other team. As for the idea of insulting the visiting team, I've viewed what's said in most of the cheers to be more likely to embarrass or distract than insult.

Spoke
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Now for a stumble down memory lane...

Once when I was an undergrad (I think during the 89-90 season), Coach K chastised us for being too negative and vulgar, specifically with the bull**** chant. The next game we chanted "We beg to differ" when the refs blew a call. Classic moment in my Cameron memories.

Now there's a chant with some history. During my undergrad days (80'-84') we were similarly chastised for our rudeness. All undergrads received "an avuncular letter" from Terry Sanford (then university president) asking us to modify our behavior. At the next home game (UNC) a sign went up: "WE WELCOME OUR ESTEEMED GUESTS FROM CHAPEL HILL" and bad calls were met with "We beg to differ!" and "You are incorrect, Sir! You are incorrect!"

MulletMan
02-02-2009, 01:23 PM

No, I think I understand your objection. However, I don't think that cheer is meant the way that you're taking it. Its a little tounge in cheek joke about a bench player who needed to get into the game on his birthday. Laugh it up a bit.

I mean, back when PJ played we used to chant "That's Big Johnson"! His parents thought it was funny, so we figured it was OK.

Its in no way directed at the other team. Really.

bulldog44
02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I've been going to the men's basketball games for nearly 50 years. I don't recall the basketball team requesting the students to create any cheers. For the students to chant the name of one of the walk ons when there's a chance he might be sent into the game has been going on for a long time. The cheers aren't always about the other team. As for the idea of insulting the visiting team, I've viewed what's said in most of the cheers to be more likely to embarrass or distract than insult.

I am not saying the basketball team should request anything. In case anyone else is missing my point, Johnson is a slang term for a part of the male anatomy. Chanting insert Johnson sounds a bit derogatory towards your own team. I have no prob in requesting a walk on coming into the game. I appreciate it when some of our walk on players or 2nd and third string get respect from our fans.

Spoke
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM

I am shocked...SHOCKED...that undergraduate students would use sexual innuendo in a chant. It is an affront to decency!

Pardon me while I retire to my fainting couch.

bulldog44
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
No, I think I understand your objection. However, I don't think that cheer is meant the way that you're taking it. Its a little tounge in cheek joke about a bench player who needed to get into the game on his birthday. Laugh it up a bit.

I mean, back when PJ played we used to chant "That's Big Johnson"! His parents thought it was funny, so we figured it was OK.

Its in no way directed at the other team. Really.

O.k. so we are on the same frequency regarding his name. I just think the Crazies could rearrange it more so it isn't just funny but is a blow, bad choice of words, jab, still not good, an insult to the other team more. I think its funny I just think it could be done better.

MulletMan
02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Now there's a chant with some history. During my undergrad days (80'-84') we were similarly chastised for our rudeness. All undergrads received "an avuncular letter" from Terry Sanford (then university president) asking us to modify our behavior. At the next home game (UNC) a sign went up: "WE WELCOME OUR ESTEEMED GUESTS FROM CHAPEL HILL" and bad calls were met with "We beg to differ!" and "You are incorrect, Sir! You are incorrect!"

Because I love history lessons on the board:

http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/images/cameron/avuncular.jpg

bulldog44
02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I am shocked...SHOCKED...that undergraduate students would use sexual innuendo in a chant. It is an affront to decency!

Pardon me while I retire to my fainting couch.

OMG Attention: I AM NOT INSULTED AT WHAT THEY SAID, I THINK THEY COULD DIRECT IT TO BE MORE HUMILIATING TO THE OPPOSING TEAM.

blazindw
02-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Please remind me: how are line monitors selected?

The Head Line Monitor is appointed by the DSG President (as part of his cabinet/staff) and it is approved by the DSG Senate. The Line Monitors that serve under the HLM are selected by the HLM. It is completely at his/her discretion who serves.

I am not saying the basketball team should request anything. In case anyone else is missing my point, Johnson is a slang term for a part of the male anatomy. Chanting insert Johnson sounds a bit derogatory towards your own team. I have no prob in requesting a walk on coming into the game. I appreciate it when some of our walk on players or 2nd and third string get respect from our fans.

O.k. so we are on the same frequency regarding his name. I just think the Crazies could rearrange it more so it isn't just funny but is a blow, bad choice of words, jab, still not good, an insult to the other team more. I think its funny I just think it could be done better.

OMG Attention: I AM NOT INSULTED AT WHAT THEY SAID, I THINK THEY COULD DIRECT IT TO BE MORE HUMILIATING TO THE OPPOSING TEAM.

Easy now. I think that the "Insert Johnson" cheer is funny and also is a supportive cheer for a walk-on who doesn't get much playing time but works hard and deserves to get in the game. It's just a play on words. When Boozer played, one of the chants was "We want more Booze!" or "We love Booze!" when he would go on a run. People didn't tell us that we're all alcoholics, it's just a play on their name. I received similar cheers when I was there sometimes (usually when I would call grace for the night). Crazie cheers don't all have to be humiliating to the other team. I think the best cheers are supportive of our team, which is why those dominate throughout the game. In fact, I don't think there's anything more humiliating to an opposing team than when we start calling for our walk-ons to get into the game. That usually means that the other team is getting ran off the court.

What makes the Crazies unique is that they do the research on the other team, they call them out on their flaws. But, 85-90% of the time, we're just cheering for our team instead of against the other team. That's what it's all about. As the infamous cheer says (in NSFW language), Duke is who we came to see. Making fun of the other team is a distant second.

Turk
02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Because I love history lessons on the board:

Funny how many things you learn in college that have nothing to do with schoolwork. When Coach K, Johnny D, et. al. were turning things around, us Crazies got back on the bandwagon and started pushing the edge of the envelope. Uncle Terry's Avuncular Letter was the complete opposite of some sort of Dean Wormer "double secret probation" lecture many of us were expecting at the time. I thought the Letter was so great, I decided to quit swearing, period, for all the reasons he outlined. I'm no saint, nor am I a prude, nor do I always control my temper (just ask Mrs Turk), but Uncle Terry taught me a lesson that I see in the world every day: people will generally give you the behavior you expect from them, so why not expect their best?

Thank you, Uncle Terry, and God bless. Crazies, keep tearing it up with "a touch of class!!"

coldriver10
02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
"Insert Johnson" is good..."You got Czyzed on" is brilliant.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Funny how many things you learn in college that have nothing to do with schoolwork. When Coach K, Johnny D, et. al. were turning things around, us Crazies got back on the bandwagon and started pushing the edge of the envelope. Uncle Terry's Avuncular Letter was the complete opposite of some sort of Dean Wormer "double secret probation" lecture many of us were expecting at the time. I thought the Letter was so great, I decided to quit swearing, period, for all the reasons he outlined. I'm no saint, nor am I a prude, nor do I always control my temper (just ask Mrs Turk), but Uncle Terry taught me a lesson that I see in the world every day: people will generally give you the behavior you expect from them, so why not expect their best?

Thank you, Uncle Terry, and God bless. Crazies, keep tearing it up with "a touch of class!!"
Terry Sanford made many great contributions to Duke during the time he was president. His presence and how he did things was a like breath of fresh air.

The truly great ones, be they presidents, deans, professors or coaches, contribute in ways that are much broader than their defined responsibilities. David Cutcliffe and Kevin White have the potential to make remarkable contributions to the quality of life at Duke because they each have a vision of life which transcends the athletic department.

LetItBD08
02-02-2009, 05:12 PM

I remember when Patrick Johnson was on the team and the opposing team would have a player with the last name Johnson of shorter stature, the student section would point to PJ and chant "Big Johnson" and point to the other guy and chant "Small Johnson." Is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

njpduke
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I was in the student section. The "Insert Johnson" chant was great; the players were laughing on the bench, and Nate James looked like he was trying hard not to crack a smile.

Also, "pranking" the band back was all in good fun. They even seemed to know it was coming. Usually, when the band members run out for "Wipeout," they high-five all the students in the first row. But yesterday, they ran out with their hands behind their heads, laughing.

Seriously, the chants were all in good fun. Some of the posters here need to chill out.

Channing
02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I was in the student section. The "Insert Johnson" chant was great; the players were laughing on the bench, and Nate James looked like he was trying hard not to crack a smile.

Also, "pranking" the band back was all in good fun. They even seemed to know it was coming. Usually, when the band members run out for "Wipeout," they high-five all the students in the first row. But yesterday, they ran out with their hands behind their heads, laughing.

Seriously, the chants were all in good fun. Some of the posters here need to chill out.

I think you missed the point. The retaliatory prank was fine, but for a student to stand in the student section with a raised middle finger for the duration of a time out is inappropriate.

devilirium
02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
It seems the "Gerald's winning" and "Duke by 40" chants are getting a lot of air time. I guess that's supposed to be "witty".

I long for the days when the mock cheer was in vogue "Oh no, not (Pat) Sullivan"....or chanting "The Cameron Crazy...Really Crazy" chant at McCants. I can understand not getting participation for a minor opponent, but the creativity has taken a turn when "Insert Johnson" is considered amusing. What happened to the chants that were a little edgy and a tad personal. Like chanting "Sweet Caroline" at that Michigan State dude who was at the free throw line whose girlfriend had that name?

I do think that you got Czyzzed on is pretty good and more along the lines of decent cheering. Also, the "Oh Baby" is pretty good after a particularly good play.

Lord Ash
02-02-2009, 07:34 PM
"Insert Johnson" is good..."You got Czyzed on" is brilliant.

Too bad they've never had a chance to use that one.

However, Olek DOES have a good body. At least, according to the announcers.

EarlJam
02-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Fun time.

So when Johnson was inserted, he scored quickly and there was a great explosion?

Awesome.

Lord Ash
02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
So when Johnson was inserted, he scored quickly and there was a great explosion?

Awesome.

Oh come ON! I said po_p (another word for... well, I can't come up with another word that is less offensive! Scat? ) and got an infraction point! Doesn't he get SOMETHING for that whole sweat-inducing mess?!

:)

bulldog44
02-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I remember when Patrick Johnson was on the team and the opposing team would have a player with the last name Johnson of shorter stature, the student section would point to PJ and chant "Big Johnson" and point to the other guy and chant "Small Johnson." Is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

Yes absolutely.

cascadedevil
02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I have long believed this is due to graduate students who completed their undergraduate work at the University of Maryland. Someone needs to alert the various admissions departments.

I recommend self policing among the crazies by pointing at potty mouthed miscreants and shouting TERP, TERP, TERP, TERP ...

WojoSay?
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I also am frustrated when I don't know what the Crazies are chanting. I started a thread about this not to long ago, asking that a current Crazie, or someone who can attend the games, would post such chants.

A lot of chants are given to the students prior to the game, so....someone could post them for us. And as for other chants, someone could post after the fact. Come on students, give us a break.

Agreed. I loved hearing what the Crazies did with Stephen Curry this year:

Reference to him chewing his mouthguard "You can't eat that"
"Stephen's Mom has got it going on"

Maybe a thread entitled "Best chant of the day/night" after each home game.

MulletMan
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I have long believed this is due to graduate students who completed their undergraduate work at the University of Maryland. Someone needs to alert the various admissions departments.

I recommend self policing among the crazies by pointing at potty mouthed miscreants and shouting TERP, TERP, TERP, TERP ...

Wow... when I first started reading this post I was getting ticked.... then I got to the UMd part and started laughing my posterior off! Well played!!

arob
02-03-2009, 02:27 AM

They definitely did this cheer this year (Montana maybe?)

Carlos
02-03-2009, 08:57 AM

As my friend Jim once asked me after watching Patrick Johnson miss a point blank shot -

What good is it to have a big Johnson if you can't score?

elvis14
02-03-2009, 09:19 AM
They definitely did this cheer this year (Montana maybe?)

It was at the Ga. Southern game, the only game I've been ablt to attend this season. When GS's Johnson was at the line shooting free throws "Little Johnson" was chanted. It was hilarious because the guy was like 5'8". Later when our Johnson took the floor the chant was "Bigger Johnson". Too funny. I'd love a post game thread where people post cheers/chants from the Crazies. You can't always tell what's being said on TV. Against UVA Sunday, I was waiting for the "Gerald's Winning" chant as soon as G! went up on UVA and I was not disappointed.

PumpkinFunk
02-03-2009, 07:31 PM

As a member of the band, I just wanna give my reaction to the "counter-pranking". Okay, we Rickrolled the Crazies. A few LMs were pissed, but most actually thought it was hilarious... like most of the Crazies. Turning away from us was funny, especially because we knew it was gonna happen, and were trying to think of a counter-prank before our drum majors said we needed to not escalate things. Okay, great. Now then, here's where things get bad.

When we get given the middle finger for doing our jobs, that's not cool at all. When we get arms stuck out and "Ohhhh" being yelled at us like they do to opposing players simply for playing our normal pre-game music after they "sing" it because they're that pissed at us for Rickrolling them, that's not cool. Yes, we don't have to tent or wait in line for games, but we all work hard during games. We have to go to every home football game and a few away games - for freshman, one season wasn't bad, but for everyone else, the football season was horrible to sit through. We go to volleyball games, soccer games, lacrosse games, and women's basketball games. Okay, so we don't tent, but we're probably more dedicated to Duke sports than most of the Crazies, and getting harassed by these people who claim to be spirited (note: at least one of the instigators of these things is up for a "Most Spirited Student" award being given away by DUU) and care so much about Duke sports yet don't go to anything that's not men's basketball or a Carolina game is absurd to me.

The worst thing to me is: the people instigating those things aren't normal Crazies who come in casually (maybe a few hours before tip-off but not days before) for most games and are maybe tenting. The people who did the worst things, like giving us the finger, are members of the first few tents, especially Tent 1, and Line Monitors. These people go to every game and honestly, they might keep holding this grudge and doing stuff like that to us. They are that obsessive about things that happen in Cameron. We laughed when they turned their backs as a counter-joke, but everything beyond that just pissed me off as well as many other band members near me during the game. People take the band for granted, but there's a lot of things in Cameron that wouldn't be nearly the same without it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
As a member of the band, I just wanna give my reaction to the "counter-pranking". Okay, we Rickrolled the Crazies. A few LMs were pissed, but most actually thought it was hilarious... like most of the Crazies. Turning away from us was funny, especially because we knew it was gonna happen, and were trying to think of a counter-prank before our drum majors said we needed to not escalate things. Okay, great. Now then, here's where things get bad.

When we get given the middle finger for doing our jobs, that's not cool at all. When we get arms stuck out and "Ohhhh" being yelled at us like they do to opposing players simply for playing our normal pre-game music after they "sing" it because they're that pissed at us for Rickrolling them, that's not cool. Yes, we don't have to tent or wait in line for games, but we all work hard during games. We have to go to every home football game and a few away games - for freshman, one season wasn't bad, but for everyone else, the football season was horrible to sit through. We go to volleyball games, soccer games, lacrosse games, and women's basketball games. Okay, so we don't tent, but we're probably more dedicated to Duke sports than most of the Crazies, and getting harassed by these people who claim to be spirited (note: at least one of the instigators of these things is up for a "Most Spirited Student" award being given away by DUU) and care so much about Duke sports yet don't go to anything that's not men's basketball or a Carolina game is absurd to me.

The worst thing to me is: the people instigating those things aren't normal Crazies who come in casually (maybe a few hours before tip-off but not days before) for most games and are maybe tenting. The people who did the worst things, like giving us the finger, are members of the first few tents, especially Tent 1, and Line Monitors. These people go to every game and honestly, they might keep holding this grudge and doing stuff like that to us. They are that obsessive about things that happen in Cameron. We laughed when they turned their backs as a counter-joke, but everything beyond that just pissed me off as well as many other band members near me during the game. People take the band for granted, but there's a lot of things in Cameron that wouldn't be nearly the same without it.
The band members work as hard to do their job as the team does to do theirs. You are absolutely correct that the band is very important in creating the atmosphere enjoyed by the rest of the people there.

Maybe it's time for some new leadership among the Crazies.

weezie
02-03-2009, 10:24 PM
People take the band for granted, but there's a lot of things in Cameron that wouldn't be nearly the same without it.

Nobody up in the rafters takes you for granted, believe me. And Cameron would absolutely not be the same without the band.
So, I suggest the band plays louder and louder and louder. And then, even louder because WE LOVE YOU!!!

Drown out any party poopers.

DU82
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM

The use of newspapers for free throws that started this year is clearly a copy of Terp-dom. I specifically asked one of the ushers to talk to the leader of the grad students and asked them to stop, given UMd's use of it. They did for that game, but did it again for UVa. We don't copy cheers, especially from foes like Maryland and the group that will not be mentioned 12 miles away, we create them. Grad students, please stop! :-)

(We do borrow some things from State at times, in particular one involving a popular American made car brandname and its former advertising slogan. Still can't believe Gary Hahn read that one on the air, and needed the late Gary Dornberg to explain it to him off the air. It is to Les Robinson, Herb Sendek and Sidney Lowe's credit that we now take cheers from State rather than their team giving us material for cheers.)

weezie
02-03-2009, 10:30 PM
"Most Spirited Student" award being given away by DUU

For realz? Wow. I am somewhat taken aback. I wish they had something like this for oldsters....with an abstention for "Crazy Towel Guy" because he would ALWAYS get it.

orrnot
02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
The use of newspapers for free throws that started this year is clearly a copy of Terp-dom.

--& hasn't Maryland copied it from nearly every high school gym in the country? Tediously lame.

Ders24
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
The use of newspapers for free throws that started this year is clearly a copy of Terp-dom. I specifically asked one of the ushers to talk to the leader of the grad students and asked them to stop, given UMd's use of it. They did for that game, but did it again for UVa. We don't copy cheers, especially from foes like Maryland and the group that will not be mentioned 12 miles away, we create them. Grad students, please stop! :-)

Unfortunately, once some things get started, it is difficult to get them to stop (see the "O" as an example).

TaiAdmiral
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
What's the origin of the "O" anyways? I've done it a couple of times myself, without actually knowing what it meant.

nyr484
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
What happened to the chants that were a little edgy and a tad personal. Like chanting "Sweet Caroline" at that Michigan State dude who was at the free throw line whose girlfriend had that name?

That was Paul Davis and that was a great game. For those of you who weren't there, somehow someone found out (through facebook, maybe?) that Paul Davis, who was Michigan State's best player at the time (2005) had just broken up with his girlfriend Caroline. This info ended up on the cheer sheet, and we harassed him the entire game. Good times.

Ders24
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM
What's the origin of the "O" anyways? I've done it a couple of times myself, without actually knowing what it meant.

Apparently it started with some Duke kids from Baltimore (Orioles) and then just spread. It's been discussed in more detail in some other threads, but I think that is the gist of it.

zingit
02-03-2009, 11:38 PM

Yes, line monitors are obnoxious. Now you know how it feels to be a tenter. :rolleyes:

But really, I love the band, I listen to my D.U.M.B. soundtrack regularly (especially to get pumped for big tests--dorky, I know. Y'all need to come out with an updated edition though!), and I'm always clapping and humming along to the band's songs. And yet . . . I suggest that you not take the actions of a few fans so hard. Giving the middle finger is rude and excessive, of course, but don't let it bother you too much. I think almost everyone ignored them. Actually, I was at the other end of the student section and wasn't even aware of any hijinks besides the original counter-prank until people mentioned in this thread, which goes to show that the behavior of this small group of fans did not spread very far.

So, please, have a little thicker skin and stop with nobody-appreciates-us talk. When you've got a whole student section dancing like maniacs to "Everytime We Touch," awkwardly shuffling along to "Rock Lobster," belting out the lyrics to "Stacy's Mom" and "Take on Me," and (usually) cheering you on during "Wipeout," I'd say you've got a decent amount of respect. Really, truly. I won't debate with you whether sitting through a crappy football game or sitting on a sidewalk in 30-degree weather is more "horrible," but I will mention another great perk of being in the band: you get to go to *tournament* games. So chin up, kiddo. With all due respect, I adore the band and all it brings to Cameron, but you don't have much room to complain! ;)

MulletMan
02-04-2009, 09:07 AM
That was Paul Davis and that was a great game. For those of you who weren't there, somehow someone found out (through facebook, maybe?) that Paul Davis, who was Michigan State's best player at the time (2005) had just broken up with his girlfriend Caroline. This info ended up on the cheer sheet, and we harassed him the entire game. Good times.

Ahhh... one of my favorite moments. I think he cried a little at the end.

Never let the Crazies know that you hear them.... EVER.

alteran
02-04-2009, 09:15 AM

I was wondering what the song switch was about.

alteran
02-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Never let the Crazies know that you hear them.... EVER.

I dunno-- I think some of the best moments were when people heard and then reacted/laughed-- like Cremins combing his hair during "Grecian! Formula!" (or Lefty adjusting his...scalp... during "Bald! Head!).

Or Ademola Okalaja during...

-jk
02-04-2009, 09:49 AM
I dunno-- I think some of the best moments were when people heard and then reacted/laughed-- like Cremins combing his hair during "Grecian! Formula!" (or Lefty adjusting his...scalp... during "Bald! Head!).

Or Ademola Okalaja during...

Or Valvano sitting and rolling over.

Some coaches are good at redirecting the Crazies (and others) away from their players and Valvano was a master. His '83 Final Four - sheer genius deflecting the media from his players. Bed checks? Yep, and they're all there. He really kept the team loose.

K does it in his own way, too.

-jk

blazindw
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM

To be fair, I was sitting in the LM section for that game and did not see anyone give the band the finger. If they did, anyone that knows me knows I would've snapped back into HLM form real quick and told him/her to stop. We were at the end of the court near the grad students, so we couldn't hear that we were being Rickrolled...we just knew it wasn't "Everytime We Touch". The people on our end who were doing the "Ooh" and waving their hands were not doing it in spite, but once they realized what was going on, they started in jest. There's a video on Youtube of people closer to the band doing the same thing, but it was not people making fun of the band, but rather laughing and surprised that the band Rickrolled them. It was basically a "Punk'd" moment: everyone had confusion, then they realized what was up and they started laughing at themselves and mock-chastising the band as if to say "well played".

For the most part, I think everyone appreciates the band. You guys set the tone for the whole atmosphere. I know as a HLM, I coordinated with the grad students, hardcore undergrads, the band, cheerleaders and even the Dancing Devils and mascot. When everyone's on the same page, it makes a night in Cameron that much more fun, and you guys rocking is a major part of that.

(We do borrow some things from State at times, in particular one involving a popular American made car brandname and its former advertising slogan. Still can't believe Gary Hahn read that one on the air, and needed the late Gary Dornberg to explain it to him off the air. It is to Les Robinson, Herb Sendek and Sidney Lowe's credit that we now take cheers from State rather than their team giving us material for cheers.)

The newspapers thing is actually something that the Terps took from us. Crazies in the 80s and 90s used to do the same thing. We actually did it during the introductions for a Maryland game...instead of saying "Hi (insert first name)", we sat down, some people pulled out papers and others otherwised covered their eyes while the Maryland players were being introduced.

Apparently it started with some Duke kids from Baltimore (Orioles) and then just spread. It's been discussed in more detail in some other threads, but I think that is the gist of it.

Yes, this is correct.

My favorite cheer of that game: A Crazie holding up the girlfriend's picture and her phone number and the entire section chanting "CALL HER BACK!" That got the entire bar I was watching the game at laughing.

coldriver10
02-04-2009, 10:32 AM
One of my all-time favorite cheers was a few years ago when we were playing Clemson, who had this rather large player. The entire place chanted "Please don't eat me" when he would come into the game.

As far as grad student "cheers" go, I always liked turning our backs to the free-throw shooter and of course, Lederhosen Guy.

MulletMan
02-04-2009, 10:59 AM
One of my all-time favorite cheers was a few years ago when we were playing Clemson, who had this rather large player. The entire place chanted "Please don't eat me" when he would come into the game.

As far as grad student "cheers" go, I always liked turning our backs to the free-throw shooter and of course, Lederhosen Guy.

"Please don't eat me" was originally directed at Nigel Dixon of FSU. It's finest moment came from one undergrad who shall remain nameless who dressed up as Sean May before the Carolina game and then begged May not to be mad and to "Please don't eat me!"

Also fun were the Big Mac boxes on fishing poles thrown and reeled in while my man Nigel was warming up.

Ummm Lederhosen guy was a pathetic rip off of Speedo Guy. Not to mention he was a complete jerk.

MulletMan
02-04-2009, 11:01 AM
To be fair, I was sitting in the LM section for that game and did not see anyone give the band the finger. If they did, anyone that knows me knows I would've snapped back into HLM form real quick and told him/her to stop. We were at the end of the court near the grad students, so we couldn't hear that we were being Rickrolled...we just knew it wasn't "Everytime We Touch". The people on our end who were doing the "Ooh" and waving their hands were not doing it in spite, but once they realized what was going on, they started in jest. There's a video on Youtube of people closer to the band doing the same thing, but it was not people making fun of the band, but rather laughing and surprised that the band Rickrolled them. It was basically a "Punk'd" moment: everyone had confusion, then they realized what was up and they started laughing at themselves and mock-chastising the band as if to say "well played".

DW, you're mixing up the games. The Rickroll was at Maryland, and seemed to be well recieved. The guy waving the bird was at the UVa game this past weekend.

blazindw
02-04-2009, 11:05 AM
DW, you're mixing up the games. The Rickroll was at Maryland, and seemed to be well recieved. The guy waving the bird was at the UVa game this past weekend.

Whoops, you're right, I am. Thanks.

coldriver10
02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Ummm Lederhosen guy was a pathetic rip off of Speedo Guy. Not to mention he was a complete jerk.
Speedo Guy got disallowed...I thought Lederhosen Guy was an excellent substitute.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Speedo Guy got disallowed...I thought Lederhosen Guy was an excellent substitute.

Lederhosen Guy had some problems, too, didn't he? Perhaps some folks in the graduate section at that time can offer more information on this situation.

Richard Berg
02-04-2009, 11:36 AM
"Please don't eat me" was originally directed at Nigel Dixon of FSU. It's finest moment came from one undergrad who shall remain nameless who dressed up as Sean May before the Carolina game and then begged May not to be mad and to "Please don't eat me!"

Also fun were the Big Mac boxes on fishing poles thrown and reeled in while my man Nigel was warming up.

Nigel Dixon was also the source of my all-time favorite cheer.

point at our bench - Casey Sanders!
point at FSU bench - Colonel Sanders!
[repeat ad nauseum]

Here's the DUMB rickroll video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0BALgX1Q50). As mentioned, it was received in the intended spirit of fun (for the most part). I wasn't at the UVA game so I can't comment on the middle finger incident.

MulletMan
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Lederhosen Guy had some problems, too, didn't he? Perhaps some folks in the graduate section at that time can offer more information on this situation.

His general problems were related to being beligerent with people inside of Cameron and attacking someone in K'ville the night before the UNC game.

Other than that, yeah, proud to have him as a representative of the grad students.

As far as Speedo Guy being "disallowed" that's not really accurate. The original Speedo Guy was a one-time legend. The Second Guy did it as sort of a tribute, and, in reality they weren't ever disallowed. Yes, K said that he'd prefer that people not come to the games in thier underwear, but how much more clothing did Leiderhosen guy actually have on? Not much more. But he didn't really care did he?

DevilAlumna
02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
"Please don't eat me" was originally directed at Nigel Dixon of FSU.

Dixon also got cheers of "Hey, hey, hey" (think Fat Albert) and "BOOM BOOM BOOM" as he ran down the court. :D

He was a good sport about it - you could see his eyes were grinning though he was trying not to show it.

blazindw
02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Dixon also got cheers of "Hey, hey, hey" (think Fat Albert) and "BOOM BOOM BOOM" as he ran down the court. :D

He was a good sport about it - you could see his eyes were grinning though he was trying not to show it.

Also, when he went to the free throw line, everyone would stomp and go "FEE! FII! FOO! FUM!" And, on one of those free throws, you could see him smile a bit when he heard it.

Mike Corey
02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Also, when he went to the free throw line, everyone would stomp and go "FEE! FII! FOO! FUM!" And, on one of those free throws, you could see him smile a bit when he heard it.

That was a great, great one...

Reminds me of when the great Pasha Majdi made fun of Sean May, and dressed up in all UNC gear, and went fishing for a donut at half-court.

MulletMan
02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
That was a great, great one...

Reminds me of when the great Pasha Majdi made fun of Sean May, and dressed up in all UNC gear, and went fishing for a donut at half-court.

MIKE! That's the former undergrad I was trying not to name above. ^^

He's all legit now in the working world... we can't be sullying his rep on the interwebs!

:D

allenmurray
02-04-2009, 12:47 PM
And yet . . . I suggest that you not take the actions of a few fans so hard. Giving the middle finger is rude and excessive, of course, but don't let it bother you too much.

:confused: In my mind the fact that it was done by a LM and a student nominated for an award moves it from the "one bad apple - don't take it so hard" category to the "what a bunch of jerks, they shouldn't be allowed in for a few games"category.

III
02-04-2009, 12:54 PM

I'm not sure if you we're referring to me as one of the instigators behind this (I am one of the people up for the award you mentioned), but I am a member of tent 1 and feel I should respond, so here is my interpretation of what happened.

If I recall correctly, the Rickrolling incident occurred fairly early in the Maryland game, before a win was virtually guaranteed. Some people we're upset that the band would pull a prank during "an important part of the game" (whether we were still in such a point is debatable). Some people we're just pissed off that the band "got us." Regardless, as you said, it was fair for the Crazies to organize some sort of counter-prank, which we did.

Apparently, someone in the band tipped off the rest of the band that this was happening, which allowed the band to subvert the counter-prank (somewhat). Things probably should have stopped there, we had our fun (though I wouldn't mind a little prank war between the band and student section, it was quite funny). However, it instead prompted another attack from the students, in not dancing to Everytime We Touch. I can't speak for everyone, but some people were still doing this in good fun.

It goes without saying that the middle finger incident is unacceptable (I'm not sure who did it, but regardless, it is unacceptable).

On the other hand, the "ohhh"-ing is simultaneously OK and not OK. It's OK in that I feel much of it was in response to the pranking (saying, "hahah, you got us, grrr.). It's not OK in that it reveals an inexplicable hostility between the band and the student section.

As you alluded to in your post, a lot of people outside the band are hostile to/don't like some of the things the band does, and vice versa. I feel like it comes out of the two groups having competing egos; we all want to "lead" Cameron in cheers, you can see this all the time when two cheers start simultaneously. Thus, when people do something different/new/not their own idea, there's a bit of (immature) animosity towards it, because they want to be in control.

I'll be the first to admit that I've felt this way, and expressed it to others. You said that "they're [referring to the top tents and the LM's] that obsessed about what happens in Cameron." To a large extent this is true, we put a lot of effort into thinking about how best to support the team, just like the band does. Consider how much more preparation the band puts into each game with their practices, it's clear they're as dedicated to helping the team as the people who sleep on the sidewalk, it's just expressed in a different way. This is where the ego thing comes in, many of us have done a poor job of putting down egos and working together as a team on this. There have been a number of times when I disagreed with what the band has done. That's OK. Using this to harbor an animosity (replete with cursing and putdowns) towards the band, or thinking they're not as spirited as those in the student section is not OK.

I'm not buying the argument that the band is necessarily more dedicated to Duke sports in general than anyone else. Yes, the band members do attend another of the non-revenue sporting events, but if I recall, doing so is required to attend men's basketball games and post-season tournaments. While this system gets more fans in the seats than the sidewalk system for the student section, it doesn't imply a greater spirit, there are certainly ulterior motives in some cases. [Full disclosure, I have attended swimming, tennis, wrestling, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey games, but most only once or twice. I went to nearly every football game since my freshman year ('05-06), except for games over break. I have my own personal reasons for this, just like everyone else.]

Personally, I appreciate very much what the band does, I appreciate the preparation, the enthusiasm, and the execution. I certainly can't do that. I admit that some of us took things too far at the UVA game, and I apologize for it. We all need to work together in there, and that's how it should be from now on.

DU82
02-04-2009, 01:22 PM
The newspapers thing is actually something that the Terps took from us. Crazies in the 80s and 90s used to do the same thing. We actually did it during the introductions for a Maryland game...instead of saying "Hi (insert first name)", we sat down, some people pulled out papers and others otherwised covered their eyes while the Maryland players were being introduced.

Well, no. UMd's been doing the newspaper trick back at least to '82, the first game I attended in Cole Field House. What you refer to happened in Cameron later than that. The "Hi..." stuff started in the late '80s and to me is the best "intro" anywhere. I loved it when we used to play the foreign national teams for exhibition games, and the players on those teams occasionally waved back.

blazindw
02-04-2009, 01:27 PM
If I recall correctly, the Rickrolling incident occurred fairly early in the Maryland game, before a win was virtually guaranteed. Some people we're upset that the band would pull a prank during "an important part of the game" (whether we were still in such a point is debatable). Some people we're just pissed off that the band "got us." Regardless, as you said, it was fair for the Crazies to organize some sort of counter-prank, which we did.

The Rickrolling occurred in the 2nd half of that game, so yea, the game was out of hand at that point.

zingit
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
The Rickrolling occurred in the 2nd half of that game, so yea, the game was out of hand at that point.

Maybe a band member can settle this, but I'm almost positive it was in the first half, because I remember wondering when they started why they were playing "Everytime We Touch," when that is usually played in the second half. Whatever, I don't think it's central to the argument, but I thought I'd give my two cents.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, no. UMd's been doing the newspaper trick back at least to '82, the first game I attended in Cole Field House. What you refer to happened in Cameron later than that. The "Hi..." stuff started in the late '80s and to me is the best "intro" anywhere. I loved it when we used to play the foreign national teams for exhibition games, and the players on those teams occasionally waved back.

Maybe someone else who was attending games back in the sixties can clarify. I remember when we students were told to stop greeting the announcement of each visiting player with "Who's he?" We changed our greeting. Did the students then switch over to something like "Hi, ....."?

zingit
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
It's not OK in that it reveals an inexplicable hostility between the band and the student section.

As you alluded to in your post, a lot of people outside the band are hostile to/don't like some of the things the band does, and vice versa. I feel like it comes out of the two groups having competing egos; we all want to "lead" Cameron in cheers, you can see this all the time when two cheers start simultaneously. Thus, when people do something different/new/not their own idea, there's a bit of (immature) animosity towards it, because they want to be in control.

Wow, that does sound pretty immature. I have no idea what you're talking about regarding "hostility" toward the band. What don't you like about the band? What does the band do that's so different? IMO, I'd rather have two different cheers start simultaneously (which I don't think is that common anyway) and then settle on one than have the silence that sometimes occurs when no one starts a cheer.

In my earlier post, I told a band member to stop with the nobody-appreciates-us talk, but if this is the sort of attitude some people have, maybe that kid had a point.

Mike Corey
02-04-2009, 01:50 PM
MIKE! That's the former undergrad I was trying not to name above. ^^

He's all legit now in the working world... we can't be sullying his rep on the interwebs!

:D

Dag nab it. I overlooked your post!

Well...I share your enthusiasm ("enthusiasms..enthusiasms...enthusiasms") for that moment.

But it's okay: he's a law student. So I can do this to him:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r22/Coreyo34/n1302137_30127354_2393.jpg

coldriver10
02-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I was a grad student at the time. He didn't have the greatest reputation, but he didn't do anything wrong at the game itself.

BlueHeaven
I am totally bored today at work and this whole thread has been a fabulous diversion! Looking forward to Clemson tonight. I was there 84-88 and "We beg to differ" was used then also. Keep up the great work, Crazies!

Richard Berg
Maybe a band member can settle this, but I'm almost positive it was in the first half, because I remember wondering when they started why they were playing "Everytime We Touch," when that is usually played in the second half. Whatever, I don't think it's central to the argument, but I thought I'd give my two cents.
If you look carefully at the YouTube video, the rear scoreboard is visible during a few pans. 0:32, 0:36, 0:56, and 1:28-34. (The main scoreboard is panned at 0:54 but is illegible). Cross-reference with the game flow (http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2009/01/24/maryland-44-duke-85/flow) and play-by-play (http://espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=290240150) and you'll see that the song was played when we were ahead 32-13 @ 3:48 remaining in the first half.

coldriver10
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
As far as Speedo Guy being "disallowed" that's not really accurate. The original Speedo Guy was a one-time legend. The Second Guy did it as sort of a tribute, and, in reality they weren't ever disallowed. Yes, K said that he'd prefer that people not come to the games in thier underwear, but how much more clothing did Leiderhosen guy actually have on? Not much more. But he didn't really care did he?
Well I meant Coach K nixed Speedo Guy. And when Coach K speaks out against something, he usually get his way. And then when SG #2 made the "suck it" sign, that was pretty much the end.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mpHB6W_r9ag

Classic.

throatybeard
02-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Heck with the Carolina game. I'm looking forward to the Band v Tent 1 cage match.

juise
02-04-2009, 03:17 PM
No offense to the person who said, but I don't recall a time when that Maryland game was not "in hand." One could argue that it was already a bloodbath by the first TV timeout.

juise
02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Heck with the Carolina game. I'm looking forward to the Band v Tent 1 cage match.

Trombones vs. tent polls. Projectile flutes vs. camping chairs. I've gotta give an edge to the band based on shear numbers.

DukeDevil
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Trombones vs. tent polls. Projectile flutes vs. camping chairs. I've gotta give an edge to the band based on shear numbers.

*snort* lollerskates *snort*
I just had a mental image of a tuba being filled with high grade alcohol and blasting fire flamethrower style.

MonitorMom
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Numbers be damned. It's rumored there are math majors in Tent #1. They ABSOLUTELY get the edge!

shotrocksplitter
02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
For the most part, I think everyone appreciates the band. You guys set the tone for the whole atmosphere. I know as a HLM, I coordinated with the grad students, hardcore undergrads, the band, cheerleaders and even the Dancing Devils and mascot. When everyone's on the same page, it makes a night in Cameron that much more fun, and you guys rocking is a major part of that.

I am a line monitor and will start about 25% of the cheers any game. I get absurdly worked up in support of the team, and love to scream my partisan opinions. In short, I am a crazie who helps other crazies get into games.

The rick-roll annoyed me a fair bit because it was one part of the student support screwing with another. We're all on the same side, so pranking your allies is, at best, a petty laugh. To do so during a fan favorite - one that the K family was about to participate in - makes it even less funny.

This is the most recent symbol of the dischord between the band an everyone else. I love to sing the fight song, and even more to get the whole stadium clapping to 'zing it' but far more common is the cheer interrupted. Obviously the members of the band are not to blame, but when the team goes on a decisive run, the opposition calls a time out, and the crowd is going beserk is NOT the right time to play 'Seven nation army'. It takes all the air out of the crowd.
When everyone is on the same page is when Cameron is best. Oftentimes the band's songs will interrupt the flow.

As for the extention of the retalition, it was unacceptable and I apologize. It was an extention of the adrenaline that helps me chant until my voice is gone, even for the duller games. I apologize, but one kid flipping the bird for 30 seconds seems entirely forgettable.

Kfanarmy
02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
That was classic

III
02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Wow, that does sound pretty immature. I have no idea what you're talking about regarding "hostility" toward the band. What don't you like about the band? What does the band do that's so different? IMO, I'd rather have two different cheers start simultaneously (which I don't think is that common anyway) and then settle on one than have the silence that sometimes occurs when no one starts a cheer.

In my earlier post, I told a band member to stop with the nobody-appreciates-us talk, but if this is the sort of attitude some people have, maybe that kid had a point.

Hostility was probably a poor choice of words. Disagreement would be better, and shotrocksplitter summed it up well:

Obviously the members of the band are not to blame, but when the team goes on a decisive run, the opposition calls a time out, and the crowd is going berserk is NOT the right time to play 'Seven nation army'. It takes all the air out of the crowd.
When everyone is on the same page is when Cameron is best. Oftentimes the band's songs will interrupt the flow.

We sometimes disagree with each other in terms of things like this. As I said, this is perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't become personal, or create a divided mindset (as it may have been nearing with this prank stuff).

I'm sure all of us will have clear heads and let this stuff pass, so that we can work together to be a dominant force for the rest of the season.

III
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM

* Let me reiterate that I have nothing against the band, have many friends in the band, and wish anyone no harm or ill will. *

Bring it on! Sounds like a fun time, with an interesting weapons selection (fortunately not a game of Halo, in which I would be utterly destroyed).

What can I say, we're competitive people, we've already got a basketball game lined up against Tent 3, a K-ville dodgeball tournament during personal checks, and bowling against some people from Tent 4 later this year.

Let's keep any violent competitions until after the season's over though!

Numbers be damned. It's rumored there are math majors in Tent #1. They ABSOLUTELY get the edge!

MATHEMATICS WILL RULE THE WORLD! (The rumors are true).

Kfanarmy
02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
5 minutes of pregame coordination might curb some of this...turning the I's into We's...recognizing what each is/is not responsible for (controls) is also a good start
I am a line monitor and will start about 25% of the cheers any game. I get absurdly worked up in support of the team, and love to scream my partisan opinions. In short, I am a crazie who helps other crazies get into games.

The rick-roll annoyed me a fair bit because it was one part of the student support screwing with another. We're all on the same side, so pranking your allies is, at best, a petty laugh. To do so during a fan favorite - one that the K family was about to participate in - makes it even less funny.

This is the most recent symbol of the dischord between the band an everyone else. I love to sing the fight song, and even more to get the whole stadium clapping to 'zing it' but far more common is the cheer interrupted. Obviously the members of the band are not to blame, but when the team goes on a decisive run, the opposition calls a time out, and the crowd is going beserk is NOT the right time to play 'Seven nation army'. It takes all the air out of the crowd.

As for the extention of the retalition, it was unacceptable and I apologize. It was an extention of the adrenaline that helps me chant until my voice is gone, even for the duller games. I apologize, but one kid flipping the bird for 30 seconds seems entirely forgettable.

shotrocksplitter
02-04-2009, 05:47 PM
5 minutes of pregame coordination might curb some of this...turning the I's into We's...recognizing what each is/is not responsible for (controls) is also a good start

I must say I don't know what you mean. Most everyone knows the cheers, but that doesn't mean we have someone to get things started.

juise
02-04-2009, 06:19 PM

You have to remember that a lot of the posters here are former tenters/Crazies (I was in tent 1 and tent 2 in my days), so there isn't much need to explain the dynamics of Cameron or the emotions involved. It's OK to be annoyed by the prank, but also realize that there's another side to it. The students in the YouTube video were laughing. There was a thread started here last week in which everyone had a good laugh at it. I sent the video to a bunch of my '04 classmates, who also enjoyed it. I imagine that if it had happened during my days, I would have laughed and then (while smiling, not out of spite) done the hand-wave "ohhhh" at the band.

It was a well-coordinated, original, funny gesture by the band, in my opinion. I hope things haven't devolved into an "us vs. them" mentality with the band... it certainly wasn't like that 5 years ago. While supporting Duke is the number one priority, "original" and "funny" are two adjectives that describe why it was so great to be in the student section. They are what separates us from the Terps. ;) Sticking up a middle finger and acting out of adrenaline are antithetical to the qualities that make the Crazies so great.

(Oh, and one thing I've learned from being married for the last 15 months: "I apologize, but..." isn't terribly meaningful. I don't recommend using it often. :p)

dukesbetter
02-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I have to admit that I spent my lunch break finding out what it means to be "rickrolled." Hilarious.

Maybe I'm just old (T '97) and missing the insult of being directed toward a Rick Astley song, but it seems like a pretty innocuous prank.

BD80
02-04-2009, 11:01 PM
As a member of the band, I just wanna give my reaction to the "counter-pranking". Okay, we Rickrolled the Crazies. A few LMs were pissed, but most actually thought it was hilarious... like most of the Crazies. Turning away from us was funny, especially because we knew it was gonna happen, and were trying to think of a counter-prank ...

.. When we get arms stuck out and "Ohhhh" being yelled at us like they do to opposing players simply for playing our normal pre-game music after they "sing" it because they're that pissed at us for Rickrolling them, that's not cool. Yes, we don't have to tent or wait in line for games, ...

... the "ohhh"-ing is simultaneously OK and not OK. It's OK in that I feel much of it was in response to the pranking (saying, "hahah, you got us, grrr.). It's not OK in that it reveals an inexplicable hostility between the band and the student section.

As you alluded to in your post, a lot of people outside the band are hostile to/don't like some of the things the band does, and vice versa. I feel like it comes out of the two groups having competing egos; we all want to "lead" Cameron in cheers, you can see this all the time when two cheers start simultaneously. Thus, when people do something different/new/not their own idea, there's a bit of (immature) animosity towards it, because they want to be in control. ...

...We all need to work together in there, and that's how it should be from now on.

Hmmm. If there was enough animosity generated to result in an organized "retaliation" cheer at the band, perhaps the Rickrolling wasn't a good idea. Practical jokes are rarely a good idea in an emotionally charged situation; particularly pranks directed toward a group of people that have been tenting for more than a month to get into the game and who respond to the bands cues - which makes the band look good. Frankly, the band lost trust with the fans - why jump up with enthusiasm if the band is prone to prank? If the band wants the crowd to participate with them, they should put all thoughts of pranking out of mind.

Ders24
02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
How about we forget about what happened, and everyone shows up to the game on Saturday and supports our guys.

coldriver10
02-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Hmmm. If there was enough animosity generated to result in an organized "retaliation" cheer at the band, perhaps the Rickrolling wasn't a good idea. Practical jokes are rarely a good idea in an emotionally charged situation; particularly pranks directed toward a group of people that have been tenting for more than a month to get into the game and who respond to the bands cues - which makes the band look good. Frankly, the band lost trust with the fans - why jump up with enthusiasm if the band is prone to prank? If the band wants the crowd to participate with them, they should put all thoughts of pranking out of mind.
Why are people taking this so seriously? I thought being rickrolled by the band was hilarious, and the people I was at the game with thought so as well. Great prank.

And after tonight, we're going to need to have something to laugh about.

juise
02-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Frankly, the band lost trust with the fans - why jump up with enthusiasm if the band is prone to prank?

Because you love Duke and you're having fun cheering them on. I mean, as a Cameron Crazy, you really shouldn't be concerned about whether you look silly (or are being fooled). I take it you have seen the Rock Lobster dance? The incident in question involves a horrific pop song paired with a ridiculous dance that is performed in front of your peers and thousands of people. It should all be fun, I think (especially when Duke is destroying Maryland).

shotrocksplitter
02-05-2009, 03:50 AM
How about we forget about what happened, and everyone shows up to the game on Saturday and supports our guys.

Absolutely. Given the poor show tonight, our boys are gonna need some good support this weekend.

TNDukeFan
02-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Back to visiting players' reactions to the Crazies - does anyone remember a few years back when an opposing player fouled out and kept messing with the Crazies by pretending to sit down? (At least that's how I remember it.)

On another note, I'd like to say that I live eight hours from Duke and get to Cameron about once every three years. This year I hit the lottery and was there for the Maryland game. It was, as always, an awesome experience. The Crazies, the band, Crazy Towel Guy, all of it. The back-to-back fast breaks made Cameron explode like I've never heard. And thank God it's not like Wake games, with the lights, the "Welcome to the Jungle," the cheesy WWF-style announcer. So...enjoy what and where you are. Be self-critical, but keep a larger perspective.

DukePA
02-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Back to visiting players' reactions to the Crazies - does anyone remember a few years back when an opposing player fouled out and kept messing with the Crazies by pretending to sit down? (At least that's how I remember it.)

On another note, I'd like to say that I live eight hours from Duke and get to Cameron about once every three years. This year I hit the lottery and was there for the Maryland game. It was, as always, an awesome experience. The Crazies, the band, Crazy Towel Guy, all of it. The back-to-back fast breaks made Cameron explode like I've never heard. And thank God it's not like Wake games, with the lights, the "Welcome to the Jungle," the cheesy WWF-style announcer. So...enjoy what and where you are. Be self-critical, but keep a larger perspective.

I think that may have been a Wake player? Whoever it was, it was hilarious. I really enjoyed his sense of humor.

shotrocksplitter
02-05-2009, 10:06 PM

I remember that! The Crazies' response was "you're not worth it *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap* you're not worth it." That was fun. I believe the hack played for one of the newer threats, FSU, VT, etc.

blazindw
02-05-2009, 10:44 PM
I remember that! The Crazies' response was "you're not worth it *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap* you're not worth it." That was fun. I believe the hack played for one of the newer threats, FSU, VT, etc.

It was the Wake home game in 2004. I forgot the name of the player that was doing it, but I remember that game vividly. To my knowledge, the most number of students crammed into the u-grad section in history.

shotrocksplitter
02-05-2009, 11:02 PM
It was the Wake home game in 2004. I forgot the name of the player that was doing it, but I remember that game vividly. To my knowledge, the most number of students crammed into the u-grad section in history.

oh, cool. I wasn't a Crazie yet in 2004 yet remember doing it as well. Must have happened a few times.

coldriver10
02-06-2009, 12:11 AM
haha yes! I was there, too. Classic.

DukeCO2009
02-06-2009, 02:16 PM

Not sure who you're specifically thinking of, but that's happened a few times that I can remembers. Ten or so years back a South Carolina State player kept pulling the fake sit down routine, but never actually made contact with the chair and stayed seated. This went on for at least a couple TV timeouts, and when the buzzer sounded at the end of the game, the fans chanted "You're not worth it!" Funny stuff.

CDu
02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm editing out my repetitive post. Sorry. See below.

CDu
02-06-2009, 02:35 PM

Oops, should have read this one earlier before my earlier post. This has been going on for a long time. Pretty much any veteran ACC player knows it's coming, and some play along. The "you're not worth it" cheer goes back at least to the 90s, when I was in school. I haven't heard that cheer for a while. It needs to come back for situations like that, rather than wasting the last part of the game on a scrub.

Bluedog
02-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Yeah, def. That game was CRAMMED, but awesome. It was a Saturday day game. Got in line around 6 in the morning, but still didn't get TV side (got prime spot on non-TV side though). I recall being turned sideways the whole game due to lack of space. I thought it might just have been the non-TV side since the late comers are all go there (go around and use the tunnel people! There's typically a gap b/t grad and ugrad students, although i'm sure there wasn't that game; i was in tent 90 one year and one other person in my tent and me second row on the baseline for the UNC game in that gap; although my sr year they didn't let me go through the tunnel!). Definitely much more crowded than the four UNC game I've attended even though obviously tons of people get turned away for the UNC game. Nice fire marshall that day or something? What's the approx top attendance blazindw? 1800? 2000? I heard that the line monitors swipe the card backwards every fifth person or something (as in, not counting them) for supercrowded games so the fire marshall doesn't stop admitting people. But maybe that's just folk lore.

blazindw
02-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah, def. That game was CRAMMED, but awesome. It was a Saturday day game. Got in line around 6 in the morning, but still didn't get TV side (got prime spot on non-TV side though). I recall being turned sideways the whole game due to lack of space. I thought it might just have been the non-TV side since the late comers are all go there (go around and use the tunnel people! There's typically a gap b/t grad and ugrad students, although i'm sure there wasn't that game; i was in tent 90 one year and one other person in my tent and me second row on the baseline for the UNC game in that gap; although my sr year they didn't let me go through the tunnel!). Definitely much more crowded than the four UNC game I've attended even though obviously tons of people get turned away for the UNC game. Nice fire marshall that day or something? What's the approx top attendance blazindw? 1800? 2000? I heard that the line monitors swipe the card backwards every fifth person or something (as in, not counting them) for supercrowded games so the fire marshall doesn't stop admitting people. But maybe that's just folk lore.

Haha, I won't give away our techniques for fear the fire marshall lurks on here, but if you PM me, I'll give you the correct approximation. I'll say this: the most remarkable thing about the whole thing was we got the most number of students ever inside and not one student was turned away that day. I'll never understand how we did that.

MulletMan
02-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Haha, I won't give away our techniques for fear the fire marshall lurks on here, but if you PM me, I'll give you the correct approximation. I'll say this: the most remarkable thing about the whole thing was we got the most number of students ever inside and not one student was turned away that day. I'll never understand how we did that.

That includes ugrads and grads. That day was ridonkulous in terms of sardine-canning the students. I think both ends of Cameron were being directed by megaphone to get as close to the person next to you as possible. I told people that they might meet a future spouse if they played thier cards right.

-jk
02-06-2009, 04:47 PM

I'd put my money on senior day '86. Lots more u-grad seats, sideways standing (with lots of students both on the seats and in the footwells). There was very little reserved seating downstairs - just a few seats behind each bench and folding chairs in the end zones. The crazies had everything else. (Were the grad students still upstairs then?)

-jk

summerwind03
02-06-2009, 05:00 PM
I'd put my money on senior day '86. Lots more u-grad seats, sideways standing (with lots of students both on the seats and in the footwells). There was very little reserved seating downstairs - just a few seats behind each bench and folding chairs in the end zones. The crazies had everything else. (Were the grad students still upstairs then?)

-jk

Yes, it wasn't until after the renovation before the '89-90 season that the grad students moved downstairs.

In my years of watching games in Cameron, I've probably seen 10-20 opposing players "toy" with the Crazies after they fouled out. Sometimes their coach insists that they sit down. I've always thought it would make more sense for the Crazies to "see ya" them when they cross over the line off the court.

DevilAlumna
02-06-2009, 11:55 PM
In my years of watching games in Cameron, I've probably seen 10-20 opposing players "toy" with the Crazies after they fouled out. Sometimes their coach insists that they sit down. I've always thought it would make more sense for the Crazies to "see ya" them when they cross over the line off the court.

I remember one player pulled this trick - faked like he was going to sit a couple of times, but stood right back up. Finally, the crazies started chanting, "Sit! Sit! Sit!" at about the same time the coach also told him to take a chair. So he sat.

The crazies responded with, "Roll over! Roll over!" :D :D