PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Clemson, Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Hancock 4 Duke
02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Lets see McClure win the game for us again. But hopefully it wont be that close. Post your thoughts here.

jv001
02-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I hope that Wednesday night's game at Clemson is being televised on a national basis. My wife and I will be in Pigeon Forge, TN for a few days and I don't want to miss this game. This is one very important game for the Blue Devils. We have had trouble at Clemson in the past and I look for this year to be no different. Clemson is well coached with good players in KC Rivers, Oglesby and Booker. I look for a very close game with Duke winning 68-65. Go Duke!

Hancock 4 Duke
02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I look for a very close game with Duke winning 68-65. Go Duke!

I will keep that in mind. It would be really awesome if that was the actual outcome.

Cameron
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I hope that Wednesday night's game at Clemson is being televised on a national basis. My wife and I will be in Pigeon Forge, TN for a few days and I don't want to miss this game.

It's national; the game is at 9:00 on ESPN.

ncexnyc
02-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Hopefully all the players will be in good health for this game.

Saratoga2
02-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Looking toward the Clemson game, I notice a trend in our postings to indicate some of our players have not played as well in recent games while others have improved. My view is that some of what we are noticing is the abilities of certain players when facing specific defensive schemes and players: For instance:

Henderson:
He started slowly this year perhaps recovering from injury and lack of prep time. Now he features a three point shot, a mid range game with a fall away jumper and with his elevation he can get it off, good instincts around the basket and good free throw shooting. We have learned that no ACC defense has stopped him and perhaps his one weak area is ball handling, which might be a small problem against Clemson pressure.

Smith:
He too has very good athletic ability and the quickness to penetrate and to get off his jumper inside against many of the ACC defenses. He also has a better three point shot than the numbers indicate and is the best on the team at the free throw line. He runs out on the fast break well and finishes well. His weakness has been judgment running the point and Clemson will pressure him during the game.

Scheyer:
We know he is a canny player who sees the court well and has a nose for the ball from rebounds. Against Wake and Virginia with the zone D, he really was unable to penetrate and was rejected when he tried. He has the length but not the blow you away athleticism to get hhis shot off in tight. His game has been largely constrained to ourside shooting, step inside 2 pointers and junk baskets around the rim. When he is hitting a reasonable percentage of the 3's as against Virginia, he can be a big player offensively. With Clemson pressuring the ball, he is likely to get open 3's when he is not being called upon to run the point like duties.

Singlder:
He has been very consistent offensively and was either ill against Virginia or had part of his game taken away by the zone. He has been good against man defense because he can ususally get by any big guarding him. He works so hard on the boards that he should also get some inside baskets and he has been good for at least one steal leading to a basket every game.

Zoubek:
His offense has regressed of late, probably due to the big and athletic players he is facing in the ACC. He passes well but has not been much of a threat inside. Unless he can get something like the hook shot we saw against Virginia going I don't expect a lot of improvement against Clemson or the other ACC teams with big mobile players. His main contribution will be to clog up the middle and not provide a lot of points.

Thomas:
He showed flashes against Virginia but in general he seems to have been overpowered by recent ACC forwards. He has trouble getting a shot off against any pressure, so I don't see him contributing much offensively to the Clemson match.

McClure:
I love him as a defensive player but he hasn't shown much offensive ability since coming to Duke and I don't expect that to change.

Paulus:
Paulus has improved offensively in recent games and probably will get substantial PT against Clemson due to their ball pressure. He really cannot create shots nor shoot over people. He tends to slow the ball down to a half court game when in and the team doesn't seem to as well when he is in. He scored points against Va, but he also jacked up a few that didn't look good. He will get time against Clemson and I hope his toughness and leadership will at least allow the team to hold it's own with him in the game.

Williams:
He is a little like Henderson in that he is about the same size, has great athleticism and perhaps is a better ball handler. Being a freshman, he still makes mistakes, however, there is promise here and he could make Clemson pay by slashing to the basket. That quickness, toughness and athletic ability cannot be taught.

Plumlee:
The more you see Plumlee, the more you realize that he has a good combination of athleticism andoffensive promise to be our best inside player by years end. He still makes Freshman mistakes, but has competed well with ACC back lines when in the game. I see him as improving and possibly giving us a boost against Clemson, if he gets PT.

Clemson will be a tough game at their arena. Good luck to the good guys.

gw67
02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Since Purnell took over as head coach, the Tigers have been on the rise and they have been one of the top teams in the ACC for the past three years. This year’s team is easy to like. They share the ball, do a good job of protecting it (after some difficult games early in the season), and they are a good shooting and rebounding team. Based on the few times that I’ve seen them play, they appear to be a solid defensive team as well. Some specific thoughts on the Tigers:
• There are no eye catching players on the team. However, Rivers and Booker are solid players who will get some All ACC attention. Rivers is a good shooter, tough rebounder and a decent defender. I suspect that he will be matched up against Henderson. Booker is a load near the basket. It will be interesting to see how Duke defends him.
• The rest of the starting lineup consists of a shooter (Ogelsby), ballhandler/defender (Stitt) and rebounder/defensive player (Sykes).
• The Tigers have a relatively deep bench and normally play nine players in a game. Many of the players including Sykes, Potter and Grant started out deep on the bench and have improved and gotten more playing time as they got older. They are complemented by two nice freshmen, Andre Young and Tanner Smith. Young is a small, quick guard who is a good playmaker while Smith is a 6-5 wing who is a decent defender and has the makings of a nice all around game.
• The Tigers are not a great free throw shooting team but they are not as bad as they once were. Their worst shooters from the line are Sykes and Rivers. The latter makes no sense to me. Rivers was a good free throw shooter during his freshman and sophomore years.

Clemson has lost to Wake and UNC but they have defeated Virginia Tech and Miami on the road. Perhaps they can defeat the Devils at home but, at CIS, the Devils should prevail by 10 or so.

gw67

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Looking toward the Clemson game, I notice a trend in our postings to indicate some of our players have not played as well in recent games while others have improved. My view is that some of what we are noticing is the abilities of certain players when facing specific defensive schemes and players: For instance:

Henderson:
He started slowly this year perhaps recovering from injury and lack of prep time. Now he features a three point shot, a mid range game with a fall away jumper and with his elevation he can get it off, good instincts around the basket and good free throw shooting. We have learned that no ACC defense has stopped him and perhaps his one weak area is ball handling, which might be a small problem against Clemson pressure.

Smith:
He too has very good athletic ability and the quickness to penetrate and to get off his jumper inside against many of the ACC defenses. He also has a better three point shot than the numbers indicate and is the best on the team at the free throw line. He runs out on the fast break well and finishes well. His weakness has been judgment running the point and Clemson will pressure him during the game.

Scheyer:
We know he is a canny player who sees the court well and has a nose for the ball from rebounds. Against Wake and Virginia with the zone D, he really was unable to penetrate and was rejected when he tried. He has the length but not the blow you away athleticism to get hhis shot off in tight. His game has been largely constrained to ourside shooting, step inside 2 pointers and junk baskets around the rim. When he is hitting a reasonable percentage of the 3's as against Virginia, he can be a big player offensively. With Clemson pressuring the ball, he is likely to get open 3's when he is not being called upon to run the point like duties.

Singlder:
He has been very consistent offensively and was either ill against Virginia or had part of his game taken away by the zone. He has been good against man defense because he can ususally get by any big guarding him. He works so hard on the boards that he should also get some inside baskets and he has been good for at least one steal leading to a basket every game.

Zoubek:
His offense has regressed of late, probably due to the big and athletic players he is facing in the ACC. He passes well but has not been much of a threat inside. Unless he can get something like the hook shot we saw against Virginia going I don't expect a lot of improvement against Clemson or the other ACC teams with big mobile players. His main contribution will be to clog up the middle and not provide a lot of points.

Thomas:
He showed flashes against Virginia but in general he seems to have been overpowered by recent ACC forwards. He has trouble getting a shot off against any pressure, so I don't see him contributing much offensively to the Clemson match.

McClure:
I love him as a defensive player but he hasn't shown much offensive ability since coming to Duke and I don't expect that to change.

Paulus:
Paulus has improved offensively in recent games and probably will get substantial PT against Clemson due to their ball pressure. He really cannot create shots nor shoot over people. He tends to slow the ball down to a half court game when in and the team doesn't seem to as well when he is in. He scored points against Va, but he also jacked up a few that didn't look good. He will get time against Clemson and I hope his toughness and leadership will at least allow the team to hold it's own with him in the game.

Williams:
He is a little like Henderson in that he is about the same size, has great athleticism and perhaps is a better ball handler. Being a freshman, he still makes mistakes, however, there is promise here and he could make Clemson pay by slashing to the basket. That quickness, toughness and athletic ability cannot be taught.

Plumlee:
The more you see Plumlee, the more you realize that he has a good combination of athleticism andoffensive promise to be our best inside player by years end. He still makes Freshman mistakes, but has competed well with ACC back lines when in the game. I see him as improving and possibly giving us a boost against Clemson, if he gets PT.

Clemson will be a tough game at their arena. Good luck to the good guys.
And to think that Miles WAS going to Stanford........

tbyers11
02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Since Purnell took over as head coach, the Tigers have been on the rise and they have been one of the top teams in the ACC for the past three years. This year’s team is easy to like. They share the ball, do a good job of protecting it (after some difficult games early in the season), and they are a good shooting and rebounding team. Based on the few times that I’ve seen them play, they appear to be a solid defensive team as well. Some specific thoughts on the Tigers:
• There are no eye catching players on the team. However, Rivers and Booker are solid players who will get some All ACC attention. Rivers is a good shooter, tough rebounder and a decent defender. I suspect that he will be matched up against Henderson. Booker is a load near the basket. It will be interesting to see how Duke defends him.
• The rest of the starting lineup consists of a shooter (Ogelsby), ballhandler/defender (Stitt) and rebounder/defensive player (Sykes).
• The Tigers have a relatively deep bench and normally play nine players in a game. Many of the players including Sykes, Potter and Grant started out deep on the bench and have improved and gotten more playing time as they got older. They are complemented by two nice freshmen, Andre Young and Tanner Smith. Young is a small, quick guard who is a good playmaker while Smith is a 6-5 wing who is a decent defender and has the makings of a nice all around game.
• The Tigers are not a great free throw shooting team but they are not as bad as they once were. Their worst shooters from the line are Sykes and Rivers. The latter makes no sense to me. Rivers was a good free throw shooter during his freshman and sophomore years.

Clemson has lost to Wake and UNC but they have defeated Virginia Tech and Miami on the road. Perhaps they can defeat the Devils at home but, at CIS, the Devils should prevail by 10 or so.

gw67

Very nice preview on Clemson, gw. I agree that Booker will be a load for us. However, IMO, none of their other bigs are the quality that Mays was last year, so I think that will help us a bit in the interior.

Also, I'm pretty certain that the game is at Clemson. How much does that change your prediction?

gw67
02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
My bad! I thought the game was a home game. I still think the Devils win but I expect a close game.

I agree that neither Sykes nor Grant are as good as Mays but both have good size and can score from close in. I really like youngsters like Sykes who work hard for three years and then see that effort paying in their senior year with extended playing time.

gw67

SMO
02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I anticipate a defensive struggle with lots of turnovers given Clemson's full-court pressure and Duke's tough man-to-man. I like Duke winning by 8-10 in the 60's.

BlueintheFace
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
WAKE FOREST and CAROLINA

.... just wanted to remind everybody that those are the only two games Clemson has lost all season... so chew on that a bit.

WojoSay?
02-02-2009, 09:25 PM
WAKE FOREST and CAROLINA

.... just wanted to remind everybody that those are the only two games Clemson has lost all season... so chew on that a bit.

After digesting your statement, I like Duke by more than 8.:D

DukeBlood
02-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Very nice preview on Clemson, gw. I agree that Booker will be a load for us. However, IMO, none of their other bigs are the quality that Mays was last year, so I think that will help us a bit in the interior.

Also, I'm pretty certain that the game is at Clemson. How much does that change your prediction?

While I thought Mays never reached his potential due to injury and whatever else. Booker is clearly putting up better numbers this year on a team that is probably better then last years.

Booker is averaging 14.8 PPG, 9.1 RPG, and 2.5 Blocks.
Mays BEST(any year) 12.2PPG(SO) 6.8 RPG(JR) .9 BPG(SO)

I didn't include Mays Freshman campaign since he only played 13 games against weaker competition.

With that being said, This will probably be the 2nd most talented ACC team they play until Carolina. Should learn be a good game and learn a little more about these Blue Devils.

tbyers11
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
While I thought Mays never reached his potential due to injury and whatever else. Booker is clearly putting up better numbers this year on a team that is probably better then last years.

Booker is averaging 14.8 PPG, 9.1 RPG, and 2.5 Blocks.
Mays BEST(any year) 12.2PPG(SO) 6.8 RPG(JR) .9 BPG(SO)

I didn't include Mays Freshman campaign since he only played 13 games against weaker competition.

With that being said, This will probably be the 2nd most talented ACC team they play until Carolina. Should learn be a good game and learn a little more about these Blue Devils.

I never said that Mays (any year) was better than Booker this year. I said that Mays last year was better than any of Clemson's OTHER bigs this year. I was referring to Jerai Grant, Raymond Sykes, etc.

I have a lot of respect for Purnell and Clemson and am very aware that they are quite talented. I hate when announcers talk about Clemson's string of second half collapses. They didn't collapse at all in the 2nd half of the season last year. However, I am not sure that this year's Clemson team is better than last year's at this point. Oglesby is becoming a more complete scorer and they have more quality depth but I think Mays and Hammonds were really key components to their success last year.

MulletMan
02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I will say that I am very concerned by Stitt's quickness and his ability to penetrate. We saw in the Wake game that if the officials allow for a physical game, that a team with a lot of size can knock us around inside a bit. If we do not stop Stitt from turning the corner, then we risk him driving and dishing or tossing up floaters that Booker, et al can go after on the boards. Together Bookers, Rivers and Sykes average about 20 rpg, so that will be an issue.

I wonder if the way to defend Stitt is actually to lay off him a bit and allow him to shoot the 3? (27% on the season....)

moonpie23
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM
this will be an ugly game....clemson ALWAYS makes it ugly, win or lose.....the LAKERS could go down there and clemson would make it ugly..

duke has to be diligent on offense as well...

DUKIE V(A)
02-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I had the opportunity to see Clemson play 2 games in San Juan, PR (DePaul and Mississippi) and at the ACC tourney last season and I was very impressed with their size and depth. (They were playing without Mays in PR who was injured at the time and lost to Mississippi by a point or two in the final.) In my view, their weaknesses included some occasional carelessness with the ball and FT shooting (aside to Stitt and Ogelsby).

Here are Duke's Keys to Victory IMHO:

1. Make Rivers, Stitt, and especially Ogelsby put the ball on the floor. They love to hoist up a lot of 3's and can be deadly from there if left open.

2. REBOUND!!! Clemson can hurt you on the boards.

3. Get Booker in foul trouble. He is by far their most complete big man.

4. Make our Free Throws down the stretch.

I see Duke winning by 8-12 in a hard fought game tomorrow night. I see us making our foul shots and I feel like our defense will contest Clemson's three point shooting all night long. I also feel like our team rebounding is as good as I can remember for the last 5 or so years.

Aside from the usually brilliant Singler and Henderson, I think Scheyer (he is ready to break out of his slump) and McClure (he is really hitting the glass) will play vital roles in our victory.

COYS
02-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I think Scheyer (he is ready to break out of his slump) and McClure (he is really hitting the glass) will play vital roles in our victory.

I definitely think it's time for Jon to light it up. When he's on, we truly are an elite team and very difficult to defend. We can expect our usual tough defense. If we make a decent percentage of our three's, we may even win comfortably. If we're not shooting well from outside, it will definitely be a knock down, drag 'em out battle on defense. Luckily, we are far better equipped to handle that type of game this year compared to last year. If Jon gives us a scoring lift in addition to his consistently amazing play as a defender and facilitator on offense, we will be in very good shape.

weezie
02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
WAKE FOREST and CAROLINA

My stomach hurts just thinking about tomorrow's game. Gonna be a long day.

bird
02-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Here's my strange, irrational thought of the day:

The Clemson player that scares me the most for this particular game is . . . Ogelsby.

The man is not afraid to take a shot, and he is perfectly capable of making them, albeit in a streaky. Sometimes this year I felt that Clemson, when under pressure, gets afraid to take the big shot, but Ogelsby is always ready to jack one up, under pressure or open, whether he has missed three in a row or not. He has no conscience. Given the overall talent on Clemson, he might find some room to operate.

MChambers
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Here are Duke's Keys to Victory IMHO:

2. REBOUND!!! Clemson can hurt you on the boards.

Interestingly, Clemson gives up a lot of offensive rebounds. Maybe that is a result of the press.

KyDevilinIL
02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
WAKE FOREST and CAROLINA

I have a weird feeling we lose tonight. This is Clemson's last shot to prove itself against the UNC/Wake/Duke triumvirate, and it's the game in which Clemson seems best suited to win (on paper, at least).

If I were a betting man, I'd wager on Duke to win. But I'm not, and I expect Clemson to jump out early and probably stay in front for a good while. Not sure they can control the game as long as Wake seemed to, but it'll be close to the end. I think Duke's capable of posting a blowout, but I'd be shocked and thrilled if that's the result.

pfrduke
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
One set of numbers I find encouraging:

Clemson's 2-point FG% in ACC play: .412, last in the league
Duke opponents' 2-point FG% in ACC play: .408, last in the league (that is, Duke has the toughest defense, so far, to score 2s against).

Andre Young (the backup PG), who's 5-10, is the only Clemson player hitting 50% of his 2s in conference play. 5 of their 9 rotation guys are under 40%.

Taking the ACC's worst 2-point offense against the ACC's best 2-point defense bodes well, I think, for Duke.

mike88
02-04-2009, 08:06 PM
I am a little surprised at the lack of pre-game discussion/ hype about tonight's match-up vs. Clemson. Apart from Wake Forest, this is the best team we have played this year, and I sure Clemson (and their fans) will be pumped up. I am not particularly worried about Oglesby but am concerned about Clemson's post-up game and ability to get to the offensive boards. Nolan and Greg are going to need to limit turnovers and it would help us a great deal if we can hit some threes in transition to punish their full-court pressure. In the end, the game may be decided at the line, which will be to our advantage. If it is called loosely, we could be in for a long night.

SupaDave
02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I am a little surprised at the lack of pre-game discussion/ hype about tonight's match-up vs. Clemson. Apart from Wake Forest, this is the best team we have played this year, and I sure Clemson (and their fans) will be pumped up. I am not particularly worried about Oglesby but am concerned about Clemson's post-up game and ability to get to the offensive boards. Nolan and Greg are going to need to limit turnovers and it would help us a great deal if we can hit some threes in transition to punish their full-court pressure. In the end, the game may be decided at the line, which will be to our advantage. If it is called loosely, we could be in for a long night.

Well Miami is giving it to Wake right now. That might have something to do with it...

pfrduke
02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Apart from Wake Forest, this is the best team we have played this year

<cough> Xavier </cough>

dbd4ever
02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
WAKE FOREST and CAROLINA

Okay! Let's look at this. These teams (Wake and Carolina) are the only high level teams they have faced. The best of the best that they have beat are at Illinois by 2points, at Miami by 18(this was during the little Jack McClinton hiatus after he was tossed during the ACC/Big Ten challenge) and at South Carolina by 11(before the Gamecocks starting playing at the level they have in the past three weeks. They struggled with a lowly Georgia Tech team at home and then managed a comeback last week versus Virginia Tech which we all know is very up and down to say the least. Virginia Tech can beat the No.1 team in the country one night and then six days later, come out and lose to one of the weaker teams in the conference. Not to say that can't happen to anyone but it seems to follow Virginia Tech a little more than others. I am just waiting for that trade mark Clemson collapse of the past few years. This team doesn't have the experience and leadership of last years team that kind of willed them to a few of their wins last year. Just my
.02!!

mike88
02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
<cough> Xavier </cough>

I expected Xavier to be the strongest opponent we faced until Carolina, but they certainly didn't play their best against us and their resume is not particularly strong otherwise. Moreover, we played them on a neutral court, while tonight is in Littlejohn. We also matched up pretty well against Xavier, while Clemson's size worried me more.

riverside6
02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Here's the link to live stats for Clemson/Duke (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=2020). The starting lineups are up and Lance Thomas is starting for the 2nd consecutive game.

dbd4ever
02-04-2009, 08:49 PM
WAKE FOREST and CAROLINA

Okay! Let's look at this. These teams (Wake and Carolina) are the only high level teams they have faced. The best of the best that they have beat are at Illinois by 2points, at Miami by 18(this was during the little Jack McClinton hiatus after he was tossed during the ACC/Big Ten challenge) and at South Carolina by 11(before the Gamecocks starting playing at the level they have in the past three weeks. They struggled with a lowly Georgia Tech team at home and then managed a comeback last week versus Virginia Tech which we all know is very up and down to say the least. Virginia Tech can beat the No.1 team in the country one night and then six days later, come out and lose to one of the weaker teams in the conference. Not to say that can't happen to anyone but it seems to follow Virginia Tech a little more than others. I am just waiting for that trade mark Clemson collapse of the past few years. This team doesn't have the experience and leadership of last years team that kind of willed them to a few of their wins last year. Just my
.02!!

FireOgilvie
02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Here's the link to live stats for Clemson/Duke (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=2020). The starting lineups are up and Lance Thomas is starting for the 2nd consecutive game.

Thomas is doing decently early... but I would have really liked to see Zoubek in there.

We need to stop making silly mistakes.

BlueintheFace
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
NO MORE TO's... please!

91.92.01DUKE
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Turnovers...

DukieBoy
02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
it looks to me that we are trying to inbounds the ball quickly hoping that their press won't be set and it hasn't worked at all.

KyDevilinIL
02-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Just like the Wake game, we come out seeming almost surprised that there's a game going on.

77devil
02-04-2009, 09:24 PM
nice defense. not

devildeac
02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
hope we don't wait until the 8 minute mark of the 2nd half to show up for this game...

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Why are we playing a rotation with only 2 scoring threats?

McClure, Thomas, Zoubek, Paulus and Hendo?

KyDevilinIL
02-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Snap reaction: Considering how many road games we've got left, we gotta start showing a little more intensity, focus and purpose away from Cameron or we could be in for a world of hurt.

FireOgilvie
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I take what I said back about Lance. He's playing really well on offense (6 points... best scoring game in a long time).

Singler looks off... I don't want to blame sickness or anything, but he just isn't playing his usual game so far.

devildeac
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
playing soft and getting pushed around

77devil
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
just awful

DukieBoy
i think we officially have 32 turnovers in the first 12 minutes

Duvall
Why are we playing a rotation with only 2 scoring threats?

McClure, Thomas, Zoubek, Paulus and Hendo?

To be fair, the way Duke is handling the ball they don't really need scoring threats.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 09:34 PM
To be fair, the way Duke is handling the ball they don't really need scoring threats.

Those guys aren't exactly ball-handling threats either.

Cdog923
02-04-2009, 09:35 PM
- Slow the ball down.
- Get the ball to the inside via the drive. Let Nolan, G or Kyle drive.
- These refs can't decide how to call the game.

Ian
02-04-2009, 09:35 PM
This is when having a real PG would really help. We don't have one confident primary ballhandler who can provide some stability and calm the team down.

DukieBoy
02-04-2009, 09:36 PM
we look like a young, inexperienced team that can't handle Clemson's pressure as opposed to being the veteran team that we are. Making sloppy passes. Making lazy passes. Dribbling into traps. I hope we snap out of it soon.

devildeac
02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
K exasperated in the huddle with the way we're playing-said they can't score on our half court D and we are clemson's best offense:(

SMO
02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Man, if Clemson wasn't fouling and turning it over this would be ugly

pamtar
02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
I was sure Clemson would out-man us inside, but I never thought they'd out-defend us.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
It's not even so much that they're forced turnovers - many of them are just poor passes.

cl15876
02-04-2009, 09:41 PM
If we lose this game, we blame billybreen... agreed?

LGD - LGD - LGD!!!!! 26 -19 come on Jon!

SMO
Uh, can we get it out of the back court???

dyedwab
we are being outplayed, out hustled, out fought, and, surprisngly, out thought.

FerryFor50
Nice shove after the blocked shot, Booker. :rolleyes:

DukieBoy
02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Uh, can we get it out of the back court???

o we have many turnovers in the front court too

FerryFor50
I am shocked that Duke is playing easily its worst game of the year so far and is still within single digits.

SMO
How do we leave Oglesby open???

SMO
02-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Get EWIll out of there

Ian
They are forced turnovers, we are rattled by their pressure and forcing us to rush.

FerryFor50
Why can't Clemson get up like this for UNC?

KyDevilinIL
02-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't know if we're going to win or lose this game. I suspect we'll be much better in the second half.

But, while I never doubt this team's effort, I'm really alarmed at how often we simply look bad.

It's February. We need to start getting better in short order.

FerryFor50
How can a player drive right into 3 defenders, knock one of them down, and get the benefit of the call?

Cdog923
Kyle is really hurting the team right now. I don't know if Booker got in his head, or if he's still sick, but he's not helping the team tonight

DukeDevil
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Did anyone see how the clemson player pushed singler to the floor at around 5:30 in the first half after he blocked his shot, and the announcer was like, "wow, clemson keeps getting called for these touch fouls" even though the ref completely missed the pushdown? I mean it should have been a tech, and the replay just confirmed what I saw!

devildeac
02-04-2009, 09:46 PM
why no travel on G when he landed on his butt after the rebound?:rolleyes:

FerryFor50
Lots and lots of contact in this game... does not benefit Duke.

trey
Why can't Clemson get up like this for UNC?

Excellent question!

SuperSport
What the heck is wrong with us? Duke is playing AWFUL!!! Smith isn't playing worth nothing, and Clemson is beating us on both ends of the court. Dang

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Because he didn't land on a Wake player. :p

House G
How can you be called for "over and back" on a court where there is a large orange tiger paw covering 80% of the midcourt stripe?

DukieBoy

I immediately wondered the same :)

Ian

He kept his dribble

SuperSport
02-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Can't hit nothing any dang ways and they hit everything.

dyedwab
02-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't know if we're going to win or lose this game. I suspect we'll be much better in the second half.

But, while I never doubt this team's effort, I'm really alarmed at how often we simply look bad.

It's February. We need to start getting better in short order.

I don't know if its effort, but they aren't thinking out there tonight....and I have doubts about whether the second half will be better...Clemson knows it can win, and they will capitalize on it

SuperSport
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
That was goaltending!

pamtar
When I used to play in cold gyms I could barely dribble. It must be cold in Littlejohn.

FerryFor50
Wow, can't even get an OBVIOUS goaltend.

DukieBoy
clemson just got away with wat might be the most obvious goal tending ever but duke gets all the calls

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 09:50 PM
When I used to play in cold gyms I could barely dribble. It must be cold in Littlejohn.

Not cold for Clemson, apparently.

devildeac
truly a horrendous half of basketball by the boys in blue:(

SMO
Pocius fires one off the backboard. This is amazingly bad. Clemson is good, but Duke is just bad tonight. Guys can't even catch the ball! I'm not sure I've seen anything like this since, maybe, 06-07.

SuperSport
This is the WORST I have ever seen Duke this year. They are pitiful, plain terrible. Sickening to watch them play, or NOT play. They better start playing better in the 2nd half, because if they play like they are, we will get beat but 30+!

slower
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Worst performance in recent memory

KyDevilinIL
Wow. This is bizarre. We look unprepared, scared and mentally distant.

SMO
clemson just got away with wat might be the most obvious goal tending ever but duke gets all the calls

The men in stripes are having a rough night as well. Very inconsistently called in addition to missing the dictionary picture of what a goaltend is.

weezie
02-04-2009, 09:52 PM
They all look like they took stupid pills. Nobody has any brains at all on the court.

DukieBoy
I'm not sure I've seen anything like this since, maybe, 06-07.

Don't give them that much credit:(

kaufmjo
Wow - havent seen a Duke team lose compusure like this in quite a long time. May even need to be a write off at this point - yikes!

SMO
Worst performance in recent memory

I'll give them 2 minutes into the 2nd half. If it looks like this I cannot bear to watch. This is really, really bad. I mean really bad.

Ian
I've been saying it for a while. Our biggest problem is not center, it's PG. We need a real PG.

devildeac
02-04-2009, 09:53 PM
K completely at a loss in the huddle according to Matt L.

SMO
Oh to be a fly on the wall in that locker room.

bludvlman
Gerald looks like the only ACC caliber player on Duke.

Oriole Way
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Our offense is a joke. Most of the time, we sit around the perimeter and dribble as if not a single guy on the team has ever attempted to drive to the rim. 90% of our turnovers have been a result of pure laziness or panic.

I never expected this team to go undefeated or anything, but I never thought I'd see Singler casually hand the ball to an opponent as if he didn't care.

The thing is, this game is still extremely winnable, but it's amazing how poorly prepared and unmotivated this team looks.

SMO
I've been saying it for a while. Our biggest problem is not center, it's PG. We need a real PG.

We look like we need a brain, heart, and courage tonight.

Cdog923

We're not getting one until Dawkins.....we'd better find something, quick.

pamtar
K completely at a loss in the huddle according to Matt L.

Who the L. is that? ;)

summerwind03
02-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, it is hard to watch. But I feel it's my responsibility as a Duke fan to keep supporting them (they have to come out and keep playing). I hope they come out READY to play.

Cdog923
Anything on the radio about Thomas rallying the troops in the huddle?

KyDevilinIL
Wow, Lance flipping out in the huddle. Don't know if that's a good or a bad sign.

FireOgilvie

Who do you recommend?

DukieBoy
if there is any positive to the first half, it's that Marty and E-Will got some quality playing time in a hostile environment. otherwise, that was hideous.

Les Grossman
is poor, as it was vs. Wake. This team really needs a point guard.

And will someone please get the smelling salts for Singler? He's sleep walking.

Oh well, can't get any worse next half.

arnie
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Don't know which is more painful - watching us play this way or listening to the Bilas - Patrick twins complain about Duke getting all the calls.

Duke79UNLV77
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
perhaps worse than even any game in 06-07. so bad i may be lowering my hopes for the season as a whole.

House G
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
This performance is compounded by the fact that I am having to listen to Mike Patrick!

Duvall
if there is any positive to the first half, it's that Marty and E-Will got some quality playing time in a hostile environment. otherwise, that was hideous.

Yeah, how did that go? FREE DA BENCH.

FerryFor50
Don't know which is more painful - watching us play this way or listening to the Bilas - Patrick twins complain about Duke getting all the calls.

yea, listening to them is pretty unbearable.

Devilsfan
Where's Vitale when we need him? TAKE A TIME OUT BABY!!
Duke is playing like an all Freshmaen team. Where's the composure and basketball IQ. Clemson supposed to be the remedial school.

gep
well... Duke came from 12 down with 8 minutes left at Wake. Duke's got a whole 20 minutes now...:)

such
singler made some really bad inbound passes, but cant totally blame him as noone was moving to get free. Mcglure did better passing the ball in. overall, a disgusting first half. even jay bilas was openingly questioning our toughness. so many lazy passes. so many bad shots.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah, how did that go? FREE DA BENCH.

Wasn't much worse than the starters.

huied
I'm shocked and speechless...

BlueintheFace

Their PT was about the most negative thing about the first half. Bad shots, turnovers, missed defensive assignments. What a ridiculous statement.

devildeac
Who the L. is that? ;)

I'm guessing you're kidding with the emoticon but I'll answer anyway. It's Matthew Laurence who sits behind the bench and relates what goes on in the huddles to those listening on radio.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Their PT was about the most negative thing about the first half. Bad shots, turnovers, missed defensive assignments. What a ridiculous statement.

Were you not watching the rest of the players?

That was the problem all around.

RelativeWays
Not encouraging at all. Is this the beginning of the Feb/march crash or just a bad night? Clemson couldn't play this well against Wake at Littlejohn.

bludvlman
If we play like this next Wednesday this team's season will be over.

When is the last time Duke played good on the road against a good ACC team?

Oriole Way
If Singler, Smith, Scheyer keep playing the way they did in the first half, I wouldn't mind seeing them benched in favor of McClure, Williams, Plumlee, and Pocius. But I imagine we still have a good run left, 12 pts. isn;t insurmountable by any means, but we have to stop turning it over so much.

BlueintheFace
Were you not watching the rest of the players?

That was the problem all around.

I won't argue with that. I'm just saying it went from bad to worse.

geraldsneighbor
02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
That was the worst first half I've seen K coach. How do you put Lance and Z on the floor at the same time. Then you put 4 bench players and a struggling Scheyer together. And before that after we were struggling bad enough with turnovers, in goes Elliot.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I won't argue with that. I'm just saying it went from bad to worse.

I disagree. It went from bad to equally bad. Even Singler is playing like a freshman.

longtimefan
02-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I hope we can pick it up a notch in the second.the whole team looks like their in a mental fog.

91devil
Wow, Lance flipping out in the huddle. Don't know if that's a good or a bad sign.

He looks like he cares, which has to be a good thing.

The Clemson team quickness is really bothering us on both ends of the court. But they are playing marginally out of control, too. We're 'only' down twelve points - a good start can easily shave that down considerably.

such
for the last 8 years i have noticed, coach k doesnt call time outs when i feel any other coach would (yeah i said it)

devildeac

I'm listening to WDNC. Are they really making comments like that?!

HDB
It's painfully clear to me what the problem is right now (and has been for the last several years): poor pg play + zero post presence = a duke team that regresses in February and makes an early round NCAA exit.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Ian
Who do you recommend?

Unfortunately with Smith's lack of development, and Paulus' defensive liabilities, we don't have one on the roster.

Which is why unless we get lucky match up wise in the tourney it will not be a long stay.

willywoody
perhaps worse than even any game in 06-07. so bad i may be lowering my hopes for the season as a whole.

doubt that.

CameronBornAndBred
S L O P P Y I haven't seen them look this disorganized all year long.

grossbus
02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
i can remember, was it really so long ago, when we would break presses and score. now we can't even inbound against the press. we look totally confused.

zoobs out of his element against this team. but then, it seems that only henderson is able to compete.

repeat after me, scheyer is NOT a great shooter.

really hard to understand what is happening out there.

that was a goal tend on marty's layup, right? i didn't replay it. i don't want to look at any of that half again.

RaineyDevil
Marty hit the side of the backboard....nuff said

willywoody
Unfortunately with Smith's lack of development, and Paulus' defensive liabilities, we don't have one on the roster.

Which is why unless we get lucky match up wise in the tourney it will not be a long stay.

doubt that

Duvall
Wasn't much worse than the starters.

Yeah, it was, which is saying something.

KyDevilinIL
A week and a half ago, many of us thought the Maryland game was the turning point of the season, obviously for the better.

Now it sure seems like these next 20 minutes are the real turning point, for better or worse. This will be a test of execution and mental focus unlike any we've experienced in a while.

BlueintheFace
02-04-2009, 10:03 PM

you are obviously a man of great wisdom. May i nominate this for most ridiculously hilarious post of the day.

FerryFor50
i can remember, was it really so long ago, when we would break presses and score. now we can't even inbound against the press. we look totally confused.

zoobs out of his element against this team. but then, it seems that only henderson is able to compete.

repeat after me, scheyer is NOT a great shooter.

really hard to understand what is happening out there.

that was a goal tend on marty's layup, right? i didn't replay it. i don't want to look at any of that half again.

Totally a goal tend.

CameronBornAndBred
Marty hit the side of the backboard....nuff said
I think he hit the back of the backboard.

34dukegal
He looks like he cares, which has to be a good thing.

The Clemson team quickness is really bothering us on both ends of the court. But they are playing marginally out of control, too. We're 'only' down twelve points - a good start can easily shave that down considerably.

I for one was happy to see Lance get like that, somebody needed to do it. The guys look horrible out there tonight. I've never seen them have so much trouble just getting the ball up the court. Everybody is cold from the floor, and what's worse, it looks like Clemson is out hustling Duke on every play.

pfrduke
02-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Last year in the Dean Dome.

SharkD

Yup. At least three times, they've noted the disparity between team fouls, as though it was a pro-Duke bias on the part of the officials.

ChicagoCrazy84

I am in total agreement. That was absolutely PITIFUL! They didn't even look like a top 25 team there, and that 06 07 team had some real bad games.

I hope Coach K is giving them a thrashing of a lifetime. Unreal. I did not expect something like that from this team.

ChrisP
It's funny to me how there was hardly any discussion during the UVA game. Everyone is out of the woodwork tonight! I'll admit it, I'm usually one of the ones on here complaining about our poor play, too.

Tonight, I honestly don't know what to say. Pathetic offense and lazy passes will NOT get it done. I thought the team looked a little intimidated at Wake, but they look a LOT intimidated tonight. Give the Tigers a LOT of credit though - they are making us look bad. They're doing what I wish Duke would do when they get a nice lead - put your foot on the opponent's throat and PUUUSSSH!

I think we've dug ourselves too big of a hole to come back in this one - our offense is simply too weak and their defense is too good. Only chance I see is if we get hot from 3 and drive the ball and score a fair amount of points from the FT line - lengthen the game a bit and let Clemson come back to earth and allow our guys to WAKE UP!!!

FerryFor50
I think he hit the back of the backboard.

No that was the ill-advised 3.

The layup he attempted hit the backboard and was slapped away on the way down.

bludvlman
02-04-2009, 10:05 PM
The Smith PG experiment should end, next game and for the rest of the season Paulus should start and Smith can back him up and play some two next to Greg. Worry about the PG spot next year when next year comes.

Newton_14
That was the worst half of basketball I have seen a Duke team play since the 2nd half of the LSU game in the sweet 16.

It will be interesting to see if they can get back in it in the 2nd half.

I typed everything I was thinking and then thought it best to delete most of it and just state: I expect a better showing in the 2nd half and a run that gets us back in it.

Come on boys, wake up, toughen up, tighten up, and show some pride.

Go Devils

throatybeard

I wasn't aware that playing Carolina in the regular season was an elimination game.

It's funny to me how there was hardly any discussion during the UVA game. Everyone is out of the woodwork tonight! I'll admit it, I'm usually one of the ones on here complaining about our poor play, too

Complaining is apparently more fun than being content.

_Gary

It's only half a game, but you are right. That first half brought back some seriously bad deja vu from the last several Februaries. On the other hand, this now presents Duke with what I was lamenting last week at this time - a chance to come back from deep down against a solid team on the road. If we can do that, all is fine. If not, I'll be hard pressed not to lower my expectations for the rest of the season.

Gary

FerryFor50
Yup. At least three times, they've noted the disparity between team fouls, as though it was a pro-Duke bias on the part of the officials.

What's funny is that Clemson is absolutely POUNDING on the Devils... and no calls.

grossbus
"A week and a half ago, many of us thought the Maryland game was the turning point of the season, obviously for the better."

not a good test, twerps are awful.

arnie

Quite a few times, claim we're constantly grabbing jerseys. Of course on the obvious goaltend call, they thought it might have hit the backboard before it was blocked. I think Patrick does it on purpose, think his twin Bilas gets caught up in the crowd noise.

pfrduke
Question:

Why is it that when we play well, no one comes here during the game to post short, substance-free comments about how well we're playing, but when we're playing poorly, everyone feels compelled to come here during the game to post short, substance-free comments about how bad we are?

BlueintheFace
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Maybe Lance's fire will change some things.

flyingdutchdevil
Come on - slumps last a few games. Not a third of a season. This is worse. Something needs to be done. Why is he shooting so poorly? Also, it seems like be forced a few of those in the first half.

We clearly came into this game thinking a) we could easily beat the press and b) we would run over Clemson. No one on the team seems to care about this game.

darkblue2769
The first half has left me completely speechless....

CAT Blue Devil
Not that Duke seems themselves tonight, but how about a little credit for Clemson. Talk about taking your opponent out of their comfort zone.

This one is far from over.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Question:

Why is it that when we play well, no one comes here during the game to post short, substance-free comments about how well we're playing, but when we're playing poorly, everyone feels compelled to come here during the game to post short, substance-free comments about how bad we are?

I'm here posting when we're playing well.

I'm also here when we're playing like a stack of moldy pancakes.

devildeac
That was the worst first half I've seen K coach. How do you put Lance and Z on the floor at the same time. Then you put 4 bench players and a struggling Scheyer together. And before that after we were struggling bad enough with turnovers, in goes Elliot.

Not much of anything worked that half:(.

More TO than FG.

bludvlman
If Gerald goes pro might as well not even have a team next year.

We need John Wall real bad.

arnie
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Question:

Good comment - think its a natural reaction when fans think their team is superior to other teams - then their team struggles.

Duvall
Question:

Chat's busted.

FerryFor50
Come on - slumps last a few games. Not a third of a season. This is worse. Something needs to be done. Why is he shooting so poorly? Also, it seems like be forced a few of those in the first half.

We clearly came into this game thinking a) we could easily beat the press and b) we would run over Clemson. No one on the team seems to care about this game.

Scheyer isn't in a slump?

You think that he was never a good shooter? How do you explain the other 3/4s of his career when he was lights out?

CameronBornAndBred
My internal eternal optimist says there is still 20 minutes of basketball left to play. LET'S GO DUKE!!

Lulu
No that was the ill-advised 3.

The layup he attempted hit the backboard and was slapped away on the way down.

Right, and that doesn't even matter this year. Once the ball hits the backboard it cannot be touched or it is goal tending. That's why it's the most blatant non-call on a goaltend that I've seen this year.

BlueintheFace
This isn't a strategy problem we have here. It is a heart and aggression problem. That is why K kept throwing funky lineups out. He had to keep benching players who were playing stupid or timid.

DukieBoy
i agree that these next 20 minutes are the biggest of the season.

Win and everything is great. We played one bad half but followed it up with a likely great second half

Lose and all the questions and topics begin about whether or not this is like the teams of the past that fade in Feb/March

I personally think that we can't play much worse in the 2nd half. We need to play like we have nothing to lose, because we pretty much don't this half.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:09 PM
im sure some of the senior members of this board will think we are over reacting, dont know what we are talking about, ect ect but I have been reading these boards for a long time and i have to say it - we simply can not compete anymore at the highest level with the guys we keep fielding, guys who fall to the floor every time they get touched, guys who cant get their own shot off (ok g can get his own shot off, but he is constantly also picking his skinny self off the floor too). we need men out there. men who can grab a rebound, dunk in your face, body up and push someone out the way. look around, other teams have them, we dont and havnt for a while.

Lemme know when you run across some big beefy guys like that who can pass muster with Duke's academic requirements. ;)

BlueintheFace
Chat's busted.

amen

darkblue2769
Question:

I, for one, am glued to TV when we are playing well. Tonight, I'd almost rather not own a TV.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Right, and that doesn't even matter this year. Once the ball hits the backboard it cannot be touched or it is goal tending. That's why it's the most blatant non-call on a goaltend that I've seen this year.

That's the way it's ALWAYS been.

Dunno how the refs miss that, or the shove on Singler after Booker blocked his shot.

KyDevilinIL
Question:

It's nervous energy. It has to be expelled somehow, and some of us get rid of it through our fingers. I'm serious.

willywoody
They definitely apply to more than just THIS game my friend. He's not a PG, and not even a decent hybrid PG.

obviously, i'm not your friend then. nolan has great potential. he is a sophmore. he has blown my mind more than i can count on my hands so far in his young career. i think we'll be ok. he is not a true PG but he will be a great player.

ChicagoCrazy84
I would be surprised if Duke came back to win this one. That is hard for me to say, but that 1st half was way too bad.

CameronBornAndBred
im sure some of the senior members of this board will think we are over reacting, dont know what we are talking about, ect ect but I have been reading these boards for a long time and i have to say it - we simply can not compete anymore at the highest level with the guys we keep fielding, guys who fall to the floor every time they get touched, guys who cant get their own shot off (ok g can get his own shot off, but he is constantly also picking his skinny self off the floor too). we need men out there. men who can grab a rebound, dunk in your face, body up and push someone out the way. look around, other teams have them, we dont and havnt for a while.
That is a huge statement to make after one half of basketball. Perhaps you missed the rest of the season. There are so many things wrong with your statement, but the half is starting again, so I'm not going to debate them. I'll let our season up until now do that for me.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
now he is, this new roll has made him terrible. last year he was really good and probably our third best player behind G and KS.

Get him back to his normal role and send Scheyer to the bench with Smith at the two,

Paulus wouldn't be good in this type of game at any time.

He always struggled against fast and physical guards.

flyingdutchdevil

You think that he was never a good shooter? How do you explain the other 3/4s of his career when he was lights out?

I'm arguing that slumps last a few games. I know that Scheyer is a great shooter. I think that there may be something else wrong and most likely deeper (such as a twitch in his release).

SMO
This isn't a strategy problem we have here. It is a heart and aggression problem. That is why K kept throwing funky lineups out. He had to keep benching players who were playing stupid or timid.

I think you're right and we need to settle down (both on the court and on these boards). It's not the end of the world even if it looks like it is.

pfrduke
I'm here posting when we're playing well.

I'm also here when we're playing like a stack of moldy pancakes.

I certainly wasn't singling any individual out. But the NC State, Maryland, and Virginia game threads had a combined 223 posts, and this is on pace to lap that number.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
WOW.

Foul on Singler after he got hacked the entire way down the floor.

Nice. Reminds me of the Wake game a year or two ago.

pfrduke
Chat's busted.

Ah, that would explain it at least tonight.

bludvlman
Time for K to get a T.

SMO
2 bogus calls on Singler.

willywoody
02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I think you're right and we need to settle down (both on the court and on these boards). It's not the end of the world even if it looks like it is.

well said.

such
yeah i know that what you said is basically the problem. my undergrad biology courses were on par with my med school courses, ect. duke wasnt and isnt easy but we got to start getting bigger stronger guys out there.

OldSchool
In the UNC-Clemson game or maybe it was Wake-Clemson (or both), Clemson's opponent, when they had gotten the ball through the press to half-court and had a temporary 3 on 2 advantage, immediately pressed their advantage and drove the ball right to the hole, and it ended up shredding the Clemson press.

Even in the times we have had that situation, it is so frustrating to see us pull it out and wait and set up in the halfcourt offense.

SMO
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Smith fouled by 2 guys at the same time. Unreal.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
When the heck are they going to call a tech on Clemson? They show up the refs after EVERY SINGLE CALL against them.

willywoody
02-04-2009, 10:15 PM
In the UNC-Clemson game or maybe it was Wake-Clemson (or both), Clemson's opponent, when they had gotten the ball through the press to half-court and had a temporary 3 on 2 advantage, immediately pressed their advantage and drove the ball right to the hole, and it ended up shredding the Clemson press.

Even in the times we have had that situation, it is so frustrating to see us pull it out and wait and set up in the halfcourt offense.

yes, yes yes! i've been yelling at the tv saying the same thing.

FireOgilvie
The Smith PG experiment should end, next game and for the rest of the season Paulus should start and Smith can back him up and play some two next to Greg. Worry about the PG spot next year when next year comes.

Are you serious? Really?

Philadukie

Scheyer was never "lights out." He's been a very good player who can score. At the moment, he's a very good player who can't score.

77devil
2 bogus calls on Singler.

no they weren't. bad plays by singler

SharkD

No, the touch-after-backboard goaltending rule is new this year.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:16 PM
LMAO.

On Clemson's end, that's a "jump ball." On our end, a holding foul. Awesome.

SMO
LT's hands....oh those hands.

SMO
no they weren't. bad plays by singler

At least one of them was. Just because Mike and Jay agree with you doesn't make you correct.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
We don't need Henderson hurting himself on that stuff...

devildownunder
We are not even getting into our offense and, as a result, no one is scoring. This isn't about hustle, it's about tactics, strengths and weaknesses. Ballhandling under pressure isn't our strength and Clemson's strategy is the right one to attack such a deficiency. Unless something changes -- and fast -- we're going to see a LOT of full- and half-court traps the rest of the season.

*sigh*

SMO
Man, can you imagine the next practice???

_Gary
02-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Win and everything is great. We played one bad half but followed it up with a likely great second half

Lose and all the questions and topics begin about whether or not this is like the teams of the past that fade in Feb/March

And rightfully so on both counts!

OH, and Jay is back to his very, very, very one-sided announcing again. What a shame after he had seemed to come to his senses a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe how much he's calling this game from a Tiger's only perspective.

FerryFor50
Man, can you imagine the next practice???

I doubt the next practice will match Clemson's intensity in this game.

ChrisP
I am an optimist...I still love this team...but no way we come back in this one. IF by some miracle we do, I will have never been prouder of a Duke BB team.

SMO
02-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm absolutely shocked Hendo got that call.

Lulu
02-04-2009, 10:19 PM

Dunno how the refs miss that, or the shove on Singler after Booker blocked his shot.

I think the new rule this year is that it doesn't even matter if the ball hits the backboard below the rim, it's still goaltending if it is touched. Before, I'm pretty sure that if the ball hit the board below the rim it could potentially still be blocked. Probably didn't even matter in this case, but the point was that now there is zero doubt whatsoever about the call if the ball hits the board first.

pamtar
02-04-2009, 10:20 PM
This is the first time I've partaken in the IGThread. God I miss snrub.

FerryFor50

Why? because it was completely out of character tonight? :p

Ian
Plumlee showing me something here, I want him to play center rest of this half.

KyDevilinIL
I don't know what to think. But surely this Duke team isn't going to lose to anyone by 17 or whatever. Right?

bludvlman
Plumlee needs to take Z's minutes.

huied
This is almost unwatchable. I really don't see any positive signs tonight. Poor play by almost everyone in a Duke jersey.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't know what to think. But surely this Duke team isn't going to lose to anyone by 17 or whatever. Right?

If they don't start hitting shots, they'll lose by 30.

trey

Yep, he was only fouled three times by three different tigers.

Duvall
And rightfully so on both counts!

OH, and Jay is back to his very, very, very one-sided announcing again. What a shame after he had seemed to come to his senses a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe how much he's calling this game from a Tiger's only perspective.

Yeah, because frigging Bilas is the concern tonight. So tiresome.

DukieBoy
This is about the worst mixture possible.

We can't hit the broadside of a barn.
We can't handle the ball.
We have no intensity.

Clemson is shooting lights out.
Clemson has amazing intensity.
Clemson wants this game.

The refs are very biased.
And to top it off, Jay Bilas and Mike Patrick are calling the game.

77devil
At least one of them was. Just because Mike and Jay agree with you doesn't make you correct.

I wouldn't know since I am listening to Bob Harris. But if you say so it must be correct.

Highlander
02-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Jeez. If we could just hold onto the basketball, we could win this game. We just can't seem to stop turning the ball over.

I think Paulus is a much better ball handler than Smith tonight. That being said - what's up with the weird lineups tonight? Plumlee and Pocius in at the end of the half?

Doesn't look good for the boys in blue right now.

WojoSay?
Espn box score shows 3 fouls, but I thought he picked up his fourth.

willywoody
Plumlee needs to take Z's minutes.

now i'm finally laughing. thank you.

FerryFor50
I wouldn't know since I am listening to Bob Harris. But if you say so it must be correct.

Not a bad idea... listen to Harris while watching the game.

BlueintheFace
02-04-2009, 10:23 PM
OHHHHH GOD. Not the wrist!!!

RelativeWays
Wake lost to GT and now Miami in the span of less than a week. Is their season over too? Dawn, only the Sheep, Clump and maybe the angry turkeys are going to the tourney. Kershucks.

devildeac
Matt L. on the radio saying what we are all seeing-not much changed so far this half 'cept clemson has added 5 to their lead.

SMO
This is about the worst mixture possible.

We can't hit the broadside of a barn.
We can't handle the ball.
We have no intensity.

Clemson is shooting lights out.
Clemson has amazing intensity.
Clemson wants this game.

The refs are very biased.
And to top it off, Jay Bilas and Mike Patrick are calling the game.

That pretty much sums it up.

flyingdutchdevil
02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Why does it seem that when Bilas calls our game, Bilas loves talking how
'great' the opposing team's players are?

FerryFor50
Wow, no call on the charge there either. Awesome.

And Plumlee didn't get hacked?

devildeac
Espn box score shows 3 fouls, but I thought he picked up his fourth.

radio said he has 4

statik73
this is painful

willywoody
that sucks to get kicked in the groin and not even get a charge call.

ChrisP
02-04-2009, 10:25 PM
We are NOT losing this game because of the refs, but they friggin' suck tonight! They are nearly as bad as the Duke team....pathetic.

FerryFor50
I wonder if the starters just sit the rest of the game...

Philadukie
Gerald's holding his wrist on the foul line and when he sat down. Ugh.

trey
02-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I was disappointed earlier...but now I am furious after the no call on the kick/charge:mad::mad::mad:

SMO
that sucks to get kicked in the groin and not even get a charge call.

You'd think they might start calling the score and give us one.

dukestheheat
Really, so what if we lose this game? We are playing a team that is known to have a vastly superior inside game to many teams, including Duke, and they are pumped and on their home court. I am not surprised that Clemson is winning this one game, and I don't think they'd win the next one versus Duke. This happens in the ACC. Been happening a lot already this year to most upper level teams in the league. Wake Forest lost tonight by 27 points, and just one week ago, most pundits were slotting Wake as the potential National Champion or certainly one of the four teams playing for it in the Final Four.

It is discouraging to watch, but I know we'll benefit from this one.

dukestheheat.

FerryFor50
Zoubek draws the charge!!!! Whooo! We got a callllll!

bludvlman
Duke's third best player is a guy averaging around 2 points per game.

SharkD
Why does it seem that when Bilas calls our game, Bilas loves talking how
'great' the opposing team's players are?

I've always written it off as Jay, whose co-commentators always point out his role as an early Krzyzewski recruit, attempting to appear 'unbiased' by being horribly biased toward Duke's opponents.

(BTW, until my next post, I'm Christian Laettner.)

Cdog923
I'd kill for S. Will right now.

SMO
Gerald's holding his wrist on the foul line and when he sat down. Ugh.

As if it couldn't get any worse. My goodness.

willywoody
02-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I wonder if the starters just sit the rest of the game...

nah, as jay is saying now, just attack the basket every time. every shot should be going to the basket.

CDu
02-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Not much positive to say about this one so far. Just a completely awful performance by so many of our key players. Hopefully we can make a run late, but this is the worst I've seen our team look in a LONG time. Singler must be under the weather. He's been pretty much nonexistent the past two games.

RaineyDevil
02-04-2009, 10:28 PM
im watching the game on mute, i can not stand Mike Patrick....what an idiot

_Gary
02-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, because frigging Bilas is the concern tonight. So tiresome.

No, he's not the concern. But when you are losing this bad the last thing you need is for a former player turned commentator to be calling the game as if he were working for the Tiger's Radio Network. That's just rubbing salt into the wound.

FerryFor50
02-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think that was a pass by Henderson, Mike Patrick...

such
02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
looked like a comback before that ogelsby guy hit another 3, he is tough

Duvall
02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
No, he's not the concern. But when you are losing this bad the last thing you need is for a former player turned commentator to be calling the game as if he were working for the Tiger's Radio Network. That's just rubbing salt into the wound.

In case you haven't noticed, impartiality *requires* lauding Clemson tonight, since they are playing just a bit better than Duke.

statik73
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
This is UGLY. Please show some heart.
Scheyer needs to find his shot.

DukieBoy
02-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't think that was a pass by Henderson, Mike Patrick...

I thought the same. But I'm utterly befuddled for words at this point to describe our intensity, the refs suckiness, and Mike Patrick and Jay Bilas's stupidity. I don't care anymore. Can we have a running clock the rest of the game?