PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Virginia

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 06:21 PM
This was another game where the plus/minus stats matched my thoughts from simply watching the game. LT played his best game in a while and, sure enough, his plus/minus numbers were the best since the Duquesne game. Meanwhile, I thought Elliot Williams struggled, and UVA actually played Duke to a standstill during his 16 minutes. Also interesting that despite the fact that Henderson is now shining and Scheyer is now slumping, Scheyer keeps posting better plus/minus stats. Just adds more to the argument that a lot of his contributions are really tough to measure.

Oh, and one other thing. Only one lineup was used more than once -- the starting lineup, and those guys were only in together to begin each half. Talk about mixing and matching! Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Jon Scheyer 58-33 (+25)
Lance Thomas 47-25 (+22)
Gerald Henderson 55-34 (+21)
Nolan Smith 53-34 (+19)
Kyle Singler 44-33 (+11)
Brian Zoubek 31-22 (+9)
Greg Paulus 34-26 (+8)
Dave McClure 26-19 (+7)
Miles Plumlee 14-12 (+2)
Olek Czyz 7-6 (+1)
Elliot Williams 24-24 (0)
Steve Johnson 2-2 (0)

Per 40 Minutes
Lance Thomas +44
Jon Scheyer +40
Gerald Henderson +33.6
Nolan Smith +29.2
Brian Zoubek +25.7
Kyle Singler +18.3
Dave McClure +17.5
Greg Paulus +14.5
Olek Czyz +13.3
Miles Plumlee +10
Elliot Williams 0
Steve Johnson 0

Lineups
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 11-5, 11-8 = 22-13 (+9)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Thomas-Zoubek 5-0 (+5)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Thomas-Zoubek 5-2 (+3)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 4-1 (+3)
Paulus-Smith-Henderson-McClure-Thomas 3-0 (+3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Plumlee 2-0 (+2)
Paulus-Williams-McClure-Czyz-Plumlee 5-4 (+1)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Zoubek 4-3 (+1)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Singler 3-2 (+1)
Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Singler-Thomas 1-0 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-McClure-Singler-Zoubek 5-5 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Williams-McClure-Thomas 3-3 (0)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-Thomas-Plumlee 2-2 (0)
Paulus-Williams-Johnson-Czyz-Plumlee 2-2 (0)
Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Thomas-Plumlee 0-0 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 0-0 (0)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-Thomas-Zoubek 4-5 (-1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Plumlee 3-4 (-1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 2-3 (-1)
Paulus-Smith-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 2-3 (-1)
Paulus-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Singler 0-2 (-2)

FireOgilvie
02-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Good for Lance. I'm glad to see him step up on both offense and defense in this one.

-jk
02-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I suppose it's noteworthy that no one had a negative game. Has that ever happened before? (The glass is at least half full.)

But we won by 25, so I guess we should pay attention to that margin when analyzing the numbers. (The glass is half empty for you not wearing those mythical Duke Blue glasses.)

Still, a fine team effort. I'd certainly like to see a few more games without negative individual numbers, especially in March.

-jk

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 08:16 PM
I suppose it's noteworthy that no one had a negative game. Has that ever happened before? (The glass is at least half full.)

But we won by 25, so I guess we should pay attention to that margin when analyzing the numbers. (The glass is half empty for you not wearing those mythical Duke Blue glasses.)

Still, a fine team effort. I'd certainly like to see a few more games without negative individual numbers, especially in March.

-jk

It happened three other times this season -- vs. UNC-Asheville, Loyola and Virginia Tech.

BTW, forgot to mention that among all the lineups K used, we never even saw Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler.

ACCBBallFan
02-01-2009, 11:00 PM
In a blow out like this, it's okay if Elliott +/- is a break even, and Miles is only +2, just to get them some whiskers so future metrics improve when game is on the line.