PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Virginia

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Virginia?

jpfrizzle
02-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I voted for Steve Johnson cuz his birthday

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

geraldsneighbor
02-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I think G had 16 points the first 11 minutes.

Madrasdukie
G for me because he ensured we had an offensive flow in the first half. And in the second half he was making good plays though not scoring as much.

Loved Nolan in this game.

Cell-R
Johnson!!!
Too bad he didn't get the free throw.

Happy Birthday :D

RelativeWays
02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Steve deserves it, and it was a nice drive. Really good play all around by everyone.

Bob Green
02-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Gerald Henderson led us to the big first half lead so he gets my vote.

Ben63
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
G deserves it, but I gave it to Steve anyway. Happy Birthday.

FireOgilvie
02-01-2009, 04:11 PM
So many choices...

I had to give it to Smith. It was nice to see him being more aggressive and really looking to create his own shot.

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 04:18 PM
I voted for Smith for one particular reason -- his performance was the most important. No single Dukie had such a sensational game to be more deserving than Smith, and his offensive aggression (combined with his tough D) is critical for this team to take the next step.
Honorable mention to LT for playing with strong energy. And I really did consider voting for Steve Johnson, just for the heck of it!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I inserted big Johnson. :D

DukeBlood
02-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I went with Smith. The team looked better when he was in. Not sure what the +/- will be but I believe Smith will be near the bottom of points allowed out of the starters. He played the most minutes out of the starters.

G looked good as well.

mgtr
02-01-2009, 04:35 PM
My vote for G, but I cannot argue against Smith getting it. He looked more comfortable than he has before, with less pounding it into the floor.

Ian
02-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I gave it to Smith as well, I don't think he necessarily played better than G, but from where he was before it was a much larger improvement.

CameronBornAndBred
02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I went with Nolan, best he has looked on offense yet. He found the open lanes and worked great to get inside, and did a fine job directing the team.

ikiru36
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Although G's strong first half likely set the tone for this relative blowout victory, I gave it to Nolan because when he brings some offense, Duke as a whole becomes much more difficult to defend.

I almost want to give it to the whole team again because it was really the overall team D, whether starters or otherwise were on the floor.

(Also, to show respect and recognition, this was my first time seeing Landesberg and he looks special. Virginia has disappointed for a few years now but give Landesberg a good point guard or one more good offense option on that team and they become much more dangerous. If NBA scouts were watching today's game, he's gotta be on their radar, though reduced turnovers and improved outside shooting would help a lot. He should be a program builder if he sticks around.)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newton_14
02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I went with Nolan today. His best game in quite some time. He came out strong on both sides of the ball. We need him to be as aggressive as he was today on offense. Loved the drive, elevate, shoot over your man from 6 to 8 feet. He needs to use that move way more often to bring much needed balance to the offense.

ncexnyc
02-01-2009, 05:58 PM
G got my vote. The man looked like he was out on the court all by himself, he did whatever he wanted and no one could stop him.

BlueintheFace
02-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I voted for Nolan because it was like watching one of those final puzzle pieces fall in to place. I just hope he keeps it up and it stays in place. Mostly, I just hope he realizes how effective this team can be when he finds his way in to the lane. Great game, Nolan.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I think Elliot should have this one. He had the game of his life. And G has had so many, put someone else on the charts. Also Steve Johnson. That was a nice fake and nice layup. And its his birthday

Bob Green
02-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I think Elliot should have this one. He had the game of his life.

Williams was 2-7 from the floor so I can't see him collecting much MOTM support.

Edouble
02-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I voted for Nolan based on the box score. Unfortunately, my Richmond (Virginia!!!) Comcast only carried the second half, so that they could show the Capital's game. Ugh!

bird
02-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Nolan for two reasons:

1. Consistently excellent play throughout the game
2. Great bounce-back from potentially confidence-shaking experience at end of the Wake game

captmojo
02-01-2009, 08:22 PM
A great recovery from Wednesday night.

jv001
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I voted for Nolan because he played at a high level. This coming after the Wake game where he looked afraid. I would guess that Coach K and staff got in his ear at practice and told him to stop playing scared. He demonstrated the ability to score from most spots on the court. We know he can play good defense but we also know how important he is to our offense. Let's hope that today began Nolan's stellar play all the way to the FF. Go Duke!

ACCBBallFan
02-01-2009, 10:54 PM
It was very close, but Nolan gets the nod:

It should be noted though that these metrics cannot measure that G often had to guard Landesberg, who unfortunately has the lone ranger role now that singletary is gone.

Good game for Kyle to have an off -day since Jon and Lance were both on.

Valuable experience for Elliott and Miles.

An added bonus, no one played more than 26 minutes for Duke.

Rating Player
64 Sylven Landesberg, G
63 Nolan Smith, G
61 Gerald Henderson, G-F
56 Jon Scheyer, G
48 Mike Scott, F
47 Sammy Zeglinski, G
43 TOTALS - Duke
41 Lance Thomas, F
39 TOTALS - UVA
35 Kyle Singler, F
35 Assane Sene, C
33 Brian Zoubek, C
32 Greg Paulus, G
29 Elliot Williams, G
29 Jeff Jones, G
28 Calvin Baker, G
22 David McClure, F
20 Jamil Tucker, F
17 Jerome Meyinsse, F-C
15 Mamadi Diane, G-F
14 Miles Plumlee, F
12 Mustapha Farrakhan, G
12 Solomon Tat, G-F
04 Steve Johnson, F
02 Olek Czyz, F
00 Will Sherrill, F

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
It was very close, but Nolan gets the nod:

It should be noted though that these metrics cannot measure that G often had to guard Landesberg, who unfortunately has the lone ranger role now that singletary is gone.

Good game for Kyle to have an off -day since Jon and Lance were both on.

Valuable experience for Elliott and Miles.

An added bonus, no one played more than 26 minutes for Duke.

Rating Player
64 Sylven Landesberg, G
63 Nolan Smith, G
61 Gerald Henderson, G-F
56 Jon Scheyer, G
48 Mike Scott, F
47 Sammy Zeglinski, G
43 TOTALS - Duke
41 Lance Thomas, F
39 TOTALS - UVA
35 Kyle Singler, F
35 Assane Sene, C
33 Brian Zoubek, C
32 Greg Paulus, G
29 Elliot Williams, G
29 Jeff Jones, G
28 Calvin Baker, G
22 David McClure, F
20 Jamil Tucker, F
17 Jerome Meyinsse, F-C
15 Mamadi Diane, G-F
14 Miles Plumlee, F
12 Mustapha Farrakhan, G
12 Solomon Tat, G-F
04 Steve Johnson, F
02 Olek Czyz, F
00 Will Sherrill, F

I've been asking you for a while: Could you please explain what these "metrics" are?

BlueintheFace
02-01-2009, 11:19 PM
I think Elliot should have this one. He had the game of his life. And G has had so many, put someone else on the charts. Also Steve Johnson. That was a nice fake and nice layup. And its his birthday

I hope you are being sarcastic. He played pretty terribly.

Richard Berg
02-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Voted Nolan for the reasons already cited. Though I obviously gave G consideration for singlehandedly putting the game out of reach early on. (and continuing to contribute to the offense in the second half when his shot wasn't falling, by finding Scheyer et al for open looks)

Don't understand the EWill comment. He was way out of control for the first several plays after his insertion; he didn't even score until garbage time.