PDA

View Full Version : Donovan to Stay @ Florida; Underclassmen Declare

jtmcofc15
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
ESPN is reporting that there will be a news conference this afternoon to report Donovan will stay at Florida and not interview for the Kentucky

job.http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2826756
ESPN.com - NCB - Source: Donovan will stay put as Florida coach

_Gary
04-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Hate to say this, and I know I won't be the only one, but - Bye-Bye Patterson. Dangit, I really think we needed this kid, and it's almost a done deal that he'll commit to Florida after this news.

Gary

Troublemaker
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
The interesting part is that he will not interview with Kentucky. That probably means Fla has just locked up Donovan to a very nice contract with some very nice perks.

Once again, common sense rules, imo. 99% of the population would choose the coaching situation at Florida over the coaching situation at UK, so Donovan's non-denials of interest in the UK job were to force Fla's hand in giving him a significant raise, which Fla was probably going to do anyway, but this way, he had all the leverage and negotiations could be finished quickly. It was the common sense move by Donovan.

StDukie42
04-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Leaving the cupboard empty!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6647746

Fish80
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
So much for the 3-pete. Wonder what this means for Donovan and Patterson and all those dominos?

dcarp23
04-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Hate to say this, and I know I won't be the only one, but - Bye-Bye Patterson. Dangit, I really think we needed this kid, and it's almost a done deal that he'll commit to Florida after this news.

Gary

I think that Gary's sentiments are probably shared by many, but I'm curious as to what the basis is for them. Do you guys know something? Are you simply speculating? Or is this pre-emptive pessimism?

From all indications, the kid has not made up his mind yet. There were six schools actively recruiting him, and two of them lost their coaches in the last two weeks. While not knowing the first thing about Patrick Patterson the person, I see know reason to believe that Duke doesn't have as good a shot as Florida at this one. With all four of those guys leaving in addition to Humphrey and Richard, the Gators are going to be hurting next year.

VAGentleman05
04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
I think that Gary's sentiments are probably shared by many, but I'm curious as to what the basis is for them. Do you guys know something? Are you simply speculating? Or is this pre-emptive pessimism?

From all indications, the kid has not made up his mind yet. There were six schools actively recruiting him, and two of them lost their coaches in the last two weeks. While not knowing the first thing about Patrick Patterson the person, I see know reason to believe that Duke doesn't have as good a shot as Florida at this one. With all four of those guys leaving in addition to Humphrey and Richard, the Gators are going to be hurting next year.

There has been a general sense all along that PP's favorite is Florida, but that his parents have encouraged him to consider Duke, UVA, Wake, etc. With BD staying, and now ample playing time available, I'm afraid it's a done deal as well. But yeah, it is all still speculation...

TillyGalore
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Isn't this the same network that a few weeks ago said there would be a dismissal of charges against the Duke 3 the next day?

My faith in Fox doesn't go very far.

houstondukie
04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
If Patterson wanted to play for Duke, he would have signed already. If he picks Florida like I expect, I wish him the best of luck, but I don't want a kid anyway who "settles" for Duke, which I think would be the case had Donovan gone to the NBA. Had Donovan gone to UK or Tubby stayed, I think Patterson would have joined them in a heartbeat since that was his favorite school from the start. I hope I'm wrong and he picks Duke but only for the right reasons.

ikiru36
04-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I see three potential things in our favor, but otherwise grant that it seems likely Patterson would choose to go to Florida.

1) Even if he's not going to Kentucky, until Donovan specifically addresses and rules out jumping to the NBA (even next year), that should be a factor for Patterson as he would be going to Florida primarily to be coached by Donovan there.

2) It could really go either way if all 4 Gators were to leave early (plus Humphries who is a Senior). In that case, next year will unquestionably be a rebuilding year at Florida, even with Patterson. In that eventuality, he would have superior practice competition at Duke, far greater chances to win some championships (league and/or National) next year and the year after, and to have his games Nationally televised.

3) This coming weekend he'll be playing with Singler and Smith. If he hasn't decided by then, and if they were to bond/enjoy playing together, that could have a decisive impact as well. And in all honesty, if they don't mesh for one reason or another, better we know that now.

I agree that him going to Florida seems very likely, if he is assured that Donovan will be around for at least two years and if some other talent was either returning or were to be added [bringing up the possibility that Jai Lucas might go there as well?]

We'll know before too much longer I imagine, and really, however it works out will be for the best for Duke (I'd just prefer that what is best for Patrick and Duke be that he comes to Duke!)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan
04-05-2007, 01:56 PM
If Patterson wanted to play for Duke, he would have signed already. If he picks Florida like I expect, I wish him the best of luck, but I don't want a kid anyway who "settles" for Duke, which I think would be the case had Donovan gone to the NBA. Had Donovan gone to UK or Tubby stayed, I think Patterson would have joined them in a heartbeat since that was his favorite school from the start. I hope I'm wrong and he picks Duke but only for the right reasons.

I would take a kid who "settles" for Duke. There are times where I've "settled" and then was really glad I did!

In this case, if Patterson chooses Duke now, I think we can be sure he didn't "settle." However, I too have always felt he seemed to lean toward Florida, especially after Tubby's departure.

Who knows? We all may be surprised. Maybe he'll pick UVA! :rolleyes:

So what does Kentucky do now re: their new coach? It will be interesting.

CMS2478
04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I would take a kid who "settles" for Duke. There are times where I've "settled" and then was really glad I did!

In this case, if Patterson chooses Duke now, I think we can be sure he didn't "settle." However, I too have always felt he seemed to lean toward Florida, especially after Tubby's departure.

Who knows? We all may be surprised. Maybe he'll pick UVA! :rolleyes:

So what does Kentucky do now re: their new coach? It will be interesting.

I hope he does come to Duke, but if I had to bet the "ranch" I would bet on him going to Florida. He was obviously waiting on Donovan to decide and now he has plenty of playing time available with all the departures. :(

Patrick Yates
04-05-2007, 02:16 PM
What does that even mean? I said this in another post on PP, but the kid is just smart. He is trying to suss out an optimal situation. He wants a high-profile program with a stable coaching environment and the opportunity to play early.

If the Gators go pro (wouldn't be surprised if Noah stayed, but that might help FL as PP would not be chained to the low post guarding centers) then there are minutes and shots at FL.

KY is now out. No est. coach, dearth of talent, wasteland next year.

If the Gators stay, then we win.

How is the kid settling? As good as he may be, he is not a stud in the true sense of the word, a la Wright, Love, Beasley, Deng, etc (lets leave once-in-a-lifetime talents like Oden and Durant out of the discussion). He lacks elite size or athleticism to step in an play at any school, regardless of current talent. He needs a program where he can be productive for 2-4 years to prove what he can do. He lack's Wright's elite athleticism, whereas BW can do a little and get drafted on his freakish athleticism/potential. PP will have to develop a shot, prove he can stay with people on D, rebound, and pass. I think he will be successfull, but it will take a few years of proven results to prove to the pros that PP can succeed in the league.

We love Duke hoops, and we think of it as a game. For PP, Duke is a job tryout for the pros. He must choose the situation that will showcase his abilities to the fullest extent. For example, at UNC next year, if Hans stays, PP could be the third or fourth option in post. Maybe 2nd, but maybe fourth. He doesn't want that.

Like LT last year (who I believe would have gone to Rutgers if ANY other talented players had gone there) PP looked around for his best situation. Right now that is FL.

It could be Duke, soon.

The press reports say that Billy D has not locked down a contract at FL, merely that he is turning down the KY job (who needs to deal with that mess?). I personally do not think the pros are out of contention. K turned down a wad to coach pros, but he is the unquestioned God-King of Duke. Billy D is less popular and less well-known in Gainsville than the Gators Starting QB, whoever that may be at any given time. Also, BD is young enough, at 42 when the season starts, to take the obscene money (7-9 million range) per year, give it a try, and then bail back down to a high profile college gig in a few years if it fizzles out.

PP is probably a FL lean, but if he ends up at Duke it will be because of the quality of coaching, teammates, academics, fans, and exposure. That is all that we can ask of a kid.

Also, take heart. If PP opts for Fl, I predict that Duke locks up Monroe and Gordon before the school year ends.

Patrick Yates

CMS2478
04-05-2007, 02:17 PM
What does that even mean? I said this in another post on PP, but the kid is just smart. He is trying to suss out an optimal situation. He wants a high-profile program with a stable coaching environment and the opportunity to play early.

If the Gators go pro (wouldn't be surprised if Noah stayed, but that might help FL as PP would not be chained to the low post guarding centers) then there are minutes and shots at FL.

KY is now out. No est. coach, dearth of talent, wasteland next year.

If the Gators stay, then we win.

How is the kid settling? As good as he may be, he is not a stud in the true sense of the word, a la Wright, Love, Beasley, Deng, etc (lets leave once-in-a-lifetime talents like Oden and Durant out of the discussion). He lacks elite size or athleticism to step in an play at any school, regardless of current talent. He needs a program where he can be productive for 2-4 years to prove what he can do. He lack's Wright's elite athleticism, whereas BW can do a little and get drafted on his freakish athleticism/potential. PP will have to develop a shot, prove he can stay with people on D, rebound, and pass. I think he will be successfull, but it will take a few years of proven results to prove to the pros that PP can succeed in the league.

We love Duke hoops, and we think of it as a game. For PP, Duke is a job tryout for the pros. He must choose the situation that will showcase his abilities to the fullest extent. For example, at UNC next year, if Hans stays, PP could be the third or fourth option in post. Maybe 2nd, but maybe fourth. He doesn't want that.

Like LT last year (who I believe would have gone to Rutgers if ANY other talented players had gone there) PP looked around for his best situation. Right now that is FL.

It could be Duke, soon.

The press reports say that Billy D has not locked down a contract at FL, merely that he is turning down the KY job (who needs to deal with that mess?). I personally do not think the pros are out of contention. K turned down a wad to coach pros, but he is the unquestioned God-King of Duke. Billy D is less popular and less well-known in Gainsville than the Gators Starting QB, whoever that may be at any given time. Also, BD is young enough, at 42 when the season starts, to take the obscene money (7-9 million range) per year, give it a try, and then bail back down to a high profile college gig in a few years if it fizzles out.

PP is probably a FL lean, but if he ends up at Duke it will be because of the quality of coaching, teammates, academics, fans, and exposure. That is all that we can ask of a kid.

Also, take heart. If PP opts for Fl, I predict that Duke locks up Monroe and Gordon before the school year ends.

Patrick Yates

Fox has already reported that all 4 of them are gone.

gannon4429
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Situations like this are always interesting. I think we'll hear something relatively soon so this kid can get on with the rest of his senior year. I really think it's a two school race at this point: Florida and Duke. Both offer high profile and (to some degree in FL) coach stability. Whichever way he goes, we can only wish him the best and pick up the pieces from there if it's not us.

langdonfan
04-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I guess this isn't a big surprise, but I didn't expect ALL four non-seniors to leave...

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?storyid=14911&ret=Default.aspx

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6647746

Patrick Yates
04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Fox has already reported that all 4 of them are gone.

Billy D. C'Mon. The League. All the money. You can handle the egos. Announce Today.

Seriously, CBS, CNN, ESPN, and Fox are all hinting around at a pro option. Nothing out right, but the innuendo is entice. Smoke, fire, etc.

Patrick Yates

madscavenger
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Wonder what this means for .....Patterson....?.... Breakup of Billy and the Juniors means a lot of minutes available for Patrick Patterson right away. Need i say more?[/QUOTE]

DukeDevilDeb
04-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I have seen evidence on espn and cbs that the three Florida juniors are leaving... so I don't think we have to rely on Fox for accuracy on this.

gannon4429
04-06-2007, 08:09 AM
With the four leaving, PP will get instant PT, but is it the right situation?? I think this favors Duke a bit now. Time will tell.

JasonEvans
04-06-2007, 08:46 AM
So much for the 3-pete. Wonder what this means for Donovan and Patterson and all those dominos?

I've said it before and I will say it again...

If PP wants to go somewhere and get immediate playing time, but on a team that will likely struggle to even make the NIT then he will go to Florida.

If PP wants to go somewhere and get immediate playing time, but on a team that will likely be a high NCAA seed and a potential Final Four team then he will go to Duke.

-Jason "I think Kentucky is now out of the mix" Evans

Patrick Yates
04-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Guys,

FL will make the NCAAs next year.

Heck, given the state of the SEC, they could still win the conference next year. UT will be good, but not dominant, LSU is in the tank, Alabama may or may not rebound, and KY is in the crapper barring Gillespie bringing Jordan with him, getting Lucas, and PP. Seriously, who is next? Worst case scenario, FL is the third best team in conference. The third, or even fourth, team in the SEC is GUARANTEED to make the NCAAs.

FL has decent talent that got some PT, and they are bringing in a strong class. Green will be back, he is merely testing the waters to let the pros tell him what to work on. Some of the kids that did not play a lot this year will make the kind of huge leaps that Horford and Noah made after their frosh years.

That Calathes kid looked great at the McD's game, and they are bringing in a quality, Brewer like SF/PF, and a PF whose athletic but needs polish. Right now they are a top 35 team, and I would not be surprised to see them in the top 25 by the end of next year. Add PP to the mix, and they start out in the top 25 next year, and are in the top 15 by season end. A Sweet sixteen run with a young team, and what is sure to be a good recruiting class this summer, and two years from now they are a top 10 team no questions asked. They could be one of the nation's elite teams PPs soph and Jr years. An elite team built around thier best post player, PP.

Given Duke's depth, if not necessarily in the post, Duke cannot be that much more attractive than FL, especially with all the media attentiont that FL will get next year. At FL, PP is thier best recruit. At Duke he is second, or maybe third behind Nolan Smith. (probably second given our needs in the post)

In my mind, this seals it for FL, no questions asked. PP announces for FL by next Wed.

Patrick Yates

JasonEvans
04-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Here is a list of teams loaded with proven upperclassmen who lose very little to graduation that I think will almost certainly be better than Florida next year in the SEC:

Tennessee
Georgia
Vandy
Miss St.
Alabama

I think Kentucky has an excellent chance to be better than Florida too, based upon who they have back.

We have seen time and again that relying on freshmen is a baaad idea -- especially if they are not the truly elite freshmen. By "elite" I mean top 10 recruits, which NONE of the Florida kids are -- tho Calathes #13 and Patterson (if he goes there) #14 come quite close. I have no doubt that Florida will be a major player on the national scene very soon, but next year they will be down... quite a bit.

-Jason "what makes you think Green will come back? He announced and everything I hear says he is not coming back" Evans

WiJoe
04-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Until all four of the those dudes - including the throat-slashing punk Green - I'm not convinced any darn one of them is leaving. And let's not go gulag and make me edit throat-slashing punk. I saw him do it in last year's title game, and that's what he is. The other three are no better.

Patrick Yates
04-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Here is a list of teams loaded with proven upperclassmen who lose very little to graduation that I think will almost certainly be better than Florida next year in the SEC:

Tennessee
Georgia
Vandy
Miss St.
Alabama

I think Kentucky has an excellent chance to be better than Florida too, based upon who they have back.

We have seen time and again that relying on freshmen is a baaad idea -- especially if they are not the truly elite freshmen. By "elite" I mean top 10 recruits, which NONE of the Florida kids are -- tho Calathes #13 and Patterson (if he goes there) #14 come quite close. I have no doubt that Florida will be a major player on the national scene very soon, but next year they will be down... quite a bit.

-Jason "what makes you think Green will come back? He announced and everything I hear says he is not coming back" Evans

Tennessee and Alabama I will give you, but Alabama had some issues this year, and I will have to see them overcome those issues next year, but they could be better than FL. Tenn should be better next year, Alabama probably. I said as much.

Miss won the West and didn't make the NCAAs.

Georgia's kids do not know how to win, and their proven underclassmen have only proven that they can not consistently perform.

Vandy's far and away best player graduates this year. That is a lot to replace at a school that does not tend to recruit well.

Given Fl's Talent, especially with PP, and Fl will be fine. They will be young and struggle, some, early, but BD will be getting some talented kids on the court early and often. No way do all three of the teams above finish ahead of FL.

Maybe one does, possibly even 2 will (which I highly doubt). But FL will be ready for the SEC tourney, and I predict a run to the final four of the SEC tourney, with a chance to make the title game. FL will get in, especially with PP on the squad. If he is such a difference maker for us, wouldn't that also be true at FL, especially given the talent there (not all of which was on display this year for obvious reasons i.e. talent in place, but their recruiting class last year was solid, and they will improve) This year's class is very good also, and in 2 years they could be a top 5 team, after being a solid NCAA team next year, with PP.

Duke's recent failures in the NCAAs given our talent are not exactly ringing endorsements that Duke is clearly superior in this regard.

Patrick Yates