PDA

View Full Version : Va Tech: 6 losses by a total of 13 points

Duke79UNLV77
01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Ouch. Will the NCAA selection committee give them credit for being close so often?

I generally think Greenberg is a good coach, but don't know that he would have a steadying influence in a tight game.

Can anyone beat Va Tech decisively? Hmmm ...

Newton_14
01-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Va Tech continues to puzzle me year in and year out. Over the past several seasons they have had 2 or 3 losses to truly "cupcake" teams outside the conference in the early part of the year, combined with a few more close losses against teams in the bottom half of the ACC in the given year.

Yet, in those same seasons, they do things like sweep unx, win in Cameron, beat other really good teams, finish in the top 6 of the ACC, and compete very well in the ACC tourney. It is really strange and I stopped trying to figure them out.

This year they have partners in weirdness with Ga Tech and NC State who can't seem to do anything but lose close games to both good and bad teams. The Yellow Jackets finally squeezed one out today.

It is really difficult to consistently be that inconsistent!

roywhite
01-31-2009, 11:15 PM
The key to consistency seems to be guard play.

VaTech was really tough when they had Zabian Dowdell and Gordon as smart, tough, good ball-handling guards. They now have some good talent, but only one good guard in Delaney. They're not able to hold leads, or close out games.

Similarly, NC State and GaTech lack consistent guard play, particularly at the point.

CameronCrazy'11
02-01-2009, 02:20 AM
If only basketball games were 39:55, Virginia Tech would be so good this year.

shadowfax336
02-01-2009, 02:42 AM
Can anyone beat Va Tech decisively? Hmmm ...

I think you'd need a really good defensive squad that could hold them to 44 points or so