PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
01-31-2009, 04:15 PM
I know we're all disappointed in the Wake loss this week, but let's move on and get a thread going on Sunday's game.

I think Duke should be able to shut down Virginia's offense, so the key will be whether Duke can get a good offensive flow going, with some reasonable outside shooting and some penetration, two aspects that have been lacking at times this year.

FireOgilvie
01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Virginia isn't great, but crazier things have happened (GT beat Wake).

I think Zoubek is going to have a good game... UVA is pretty small.

I'm interested in seeing how Landesberg matches up against us.

RaineyDevil
01-31-2009, 04:42 PM
No more Singleterry....so it will be hard for them to score. Lets just hope our offense shows up. Should be a good game to get Jon back on track to have an impact in the home strech of the season going into the ACC tourney and the Big Dance.

JDev
01-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Ideally this is another game where 10 guys get 10+ minutes. I don't mean that a blow-out is a given, but I do mean that K is likely to sub liberally early and often, as he has done at times this year. Keep the waves of fresh bodies coming at UVA. Landesburg is a good player, and the leading freshmen scorer in the league (I think). He will be the focal point of the Duke D, and I don't see him having a great day on his maiden voyage to Cameron. They are yet another team that has a week to prepare for Duke, but with the talent differential, that obviously shouldn't matter. I think overall they have the least talent in the conference.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-31-2009, 06:28 PM
After the Wake game, it will be important for Duke to re-establish an offensive rhythm.

BlueintheFace
01-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Three words... take the points

geraldsneighbor
01-31-2009, 07:59 PM
I think Duke will light it up from 3 tomorrow. I just get that feeling. I like Duke by a pretty large margin. I think coming home with 2 big games next week, is a great opportunity to find yourself. I am just so ready to have a new game to talk about.

jv001
01-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I would say that Coach K had a lot to say to the team this week and it wasn't kind words. That and a hard week of practice should have Duke ready to play. I say Duke 75..Virginia 58. Go Duke!

Newton_14
01-31-2009, 10:25 PM
UVA is the one ACC team I have not seen play this year. Not even a partial. I did hear they have a really good freshman. If anyone could give me a scouting report on them I would appreciate it!

As for the good guys we root for, I expect them to come out strong and focused. I was impressed to hear how Gerald went nuts in the hallway right after the Wake loss. That shows he has great passion and instead of just shrugging off the loss, it hurt bad. Hopefully the other guys have that same passion and will dedicate themselves to raising their play to another level.

This team still has so much room for improvement it is scary. If Nolan, Jon, Lance, Zoubs, Greg, Eliot, and Miles can get their level of play up a few notches to combine with what we are getting from Kyle, Gerald, and Dave, this team can seriously put the hurt on most any team in the country. I am still convinced we have yet to see the best this team has to offer. Let's hope tomorrow's game kicks off a long run of stellar play..

Go Duke!
9F 9F 9F

dukebballcamper90-91
01-31-2009, 11:45 PM
I would like to see MP1 get more minutes so he can get better in game situations. They called out a stat today during ewww n c game that the last 20 ncaa champs front court scoring was greater than back court. We are there with hendo and kyle leading the way. The dunk MP1 got against Cake was great, we need more of that

devildeac
01-31-2009, 11:54 PM
No more Singleterry....so it will be hard for them to score. Lets just hope our offense shows up. Should be a good game to get Jon back on track to have an impact in the home strech of the season going into the ACC tourney and the Big Dance.

Like your sig. I have that old t-shirt from The Duck Shop, IIRC.

JDev
02-01-2009, 12:25 AM
They called out a stat today during ewww n c game that the last 20 ncaa champs front court scoring was greater than back court. We are there with hendo and kyle leading the way.

That is an interesting stat. I wonder if in compiling that stat they looked at three guard line-ups and classified some as small forwards. G is listed as a G/F, so I guess for this he would fall into the forward spot, in a more traditional line-up of G-G-F-F-C. I would be interested to know if they tried to fit teams into that traditional make-up to compile their numbers.

captmojo
02-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I say Duke 75..Virginia 58. Go Duke!

58? Your generosity is astounding. :D

It'll be a good day for a practice scrimmage.

beltwayBD
02-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Anyone else getting only (2nd) half this game on Comcast in the DC area? Looks like there is a Capitals game on before it which will supersede the first half. Bummer. I suppose I'll take half a game on TV over nothing.

Kim*
02-01-2009, 10:27 AM
UVA is the one ACC team I have not seen play this year. Not even a partial. I did hear they have a really good freshman. If anyone could give me a scouting report on them I would appreciate it!

As for the good guys we root for, I expect them to come out strong and focused. I was impressed to hear how Gerald went nuts in the hallway right after the Wake loss. That shows he has great passion and instead of just shrugging off the loss, it hurt bad. Hopefully the other guys have that same passion and will dedicate themselves to raising their play to another level.

This team still has so much room for improvement it is scary. If Nolan, Jon, Lance, Zoubs, Greg, Eliot, and Miles can get their level of play up a few notches to combine with what we are getting from Kyle, Gerald, and Dave, this team can seriously put the hurt on most any team in the country. I am still convinced we have yet to see the best this team has to offer. Let's hope tomorrow's game kicks off a long run of stellar play..

Go Duke!
9F 9F 9F
Oh yeah? I hadn't heard that. What exactly happened?

And I definitely agree with whoever said that this is definitely the game for Jon to find his shot again. I need him and Paulus to regain some confidence today so we can go into the Clemson game strong. I'm confident that Kyle and G will continue to deliver, but we definitely need to find a more cohesive offense where all our guys play a factor. For one, Nolan needs to be more aggressive and bring the heat! And I really, really need to see a good performance from Lance sometime this year...

DukeFanInTerpLand
02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Anyone else getting only (2nd) half this game on Comcast in the DC area? Looks like there is a Capitals game on before it which will supersede the first half. Bummer. I suppose I'll take half a game on TV over nothing.

My guide says that as well. But if you get channel 262, check that. It's one of those regional Fox Sports channels, and says at least that they will carrying the whole game.

beltwayBD
02-01-2009, 12:16 PM
My guide says that as well. But if you get channel 262, check that. It's one of those regional Fox Sports channels, and says at least that they will carrying the whole game.

Looks that way, I will check it out.

Cameron
02-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Anyone have anything further to elaborate on Gerald's supposed "hallway indiscretion"? (Which, by the way, I think is awesome and something that tells me that this team has a '99 swagger about it.)

camion
02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
If the game were at Charlottesville I could come up with some scenarios where Virginia would be competitive. The only way I can see a close game in Durham is if they play by 1985 rules (no shot clock).

MChambers
02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Anyone have anything further to elaborate on Gerald's supposed "hallway indiscretion"? (Which, by the way, I think is awesome and something that tells me that this team has a '99 swagger about it.)

It was described in one of the stories linked by DBR after the game. He was upset that Duke didn't switch properly on the next play. Not a lot more to say about it.

WojoSay?
02-01-2009, 01:30 PM

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/jan/29/lapse-defensive-breakdown-dooms-blue-devils/

geraldsneighbor
02-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Today's Starters:
G Nolan Smith
G Jon Scheyer
G Gerald Henderson
F Kyle Singler
F Lance Thomas

Thomas starting in place of Brian Zoubek today.

BlueintheFace
02-01-2009, 01:48 PM
... thought that would happen last week. Go Lance.

bludvlman
02-01-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm suprised that he Paulus isn't starting and Scheyer moved to the bench for today's game.

pfrduke
02-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm suprised that he Paulus isn't starting and Scheyer moved to the bench for today's game.

because....?

pfrduke
02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Ok, I swear I just heard the Duke PA announcer call Zoubek "Greg" when he introduced him into the lineup. Did anyone else hear this, or am I going crazy?

willywoody
02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Farrakahn just walked like crazy before throwing the ball away. it wasn't after the first aborted pass, but when he stepped back he changed his pivot foot, then threw the ball out of bounds.

Virginian
02-01-2009, 02:34 PM
waiting for Wash. Capitals hockey to end to pick up Duke game in mid-stream. Gamecast makes it seem like the game so far is the Gerald Henderson show. Where's Kyle?

superdave
02-01-2009, 02:35 PM
I like the drives in the lane and the fast breaking.

pfrduke
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
waiting for Wash. Capitals hockey to end to pick up Duke game in mid-stream. Gamecast makes it seem like the game so far is the Gerald Henderson show. Where's Kyle?

Bench, 2 fouls. He's played about 7-8 minutes. Scheyer just picked up his 2nd, also. Will be interesting to see if we go the last 7:33 of the half without either guy on the court. On the season, that hasn't been a good lineup for us.

Henderson is currently ahead 16-14. The rest of the Devils are also helping out with 18 of their own. If we have to go 7:33 without Jon and Kyle on the court, at least we're doing it with a 20 point lead.

Cell-R
02-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Good question.

I'm not sure theres any room for anyone else beside Henderson at the moment.

He is dominating.

I wish Scheyer would get a hot streak!

bludvlman
02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
"With the first pick of the 2009 NBA draft the Oklahoma City Thunder select guard Gerald Henderson Jr from Duke University"

davekay1971
02-01-2009, 02:38 PM
G is, right now, on a completely different level than anyone else on the court.

-bdbd
02-01-2009, 02:39 PM

In DC, on Comcast, I'm watching on Channel 25 - Gminski and team. Duke looking really good - esp Henderson. Our Defense is just suffocating the turnover-prone Cavs. Up by 20. 8 min left first half.

-BDBD

-jk
02-01-2009, 02:39 PM

In MoCo, it's on Comcast ch. 4.

-jk

Oriole Way
02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Why no minutes for Plumlee? Very frustrating... this is a game where we're going to win by 40 and we need to get him some substantial minutes.

I hate any lineup which has McClure, Thomas, and Paulus at the same time. Too many offensive liabilities.

Virginian
02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
In MoCo, it's on Comcast ch. 4.

-jk

'Fraid I'm stuck with Cox in central VA. Hockey should be over around halftime of the b-ball game. Thanks, guys, for the updates.

davekay1971
02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Why no minutes for Plumlee? Very frustrating... this is a game where we're going to win by 40 and we need to get him some substantial minutes.

I hate any lineup which has McClure, Thomas, and Paulus at the same time. Too many offensive liabilities.

Would like to see the same thing...wonder if Coach is trying to work on some things with Zoubs right now...?

Cell-R
02-01-2009, 02:48 PM

And our lead is slowly disappearing... :(

Cell-R
02-01-2009, 02:52 PM
So i'm watching a Duke vs Virginia College Basketball game in 2009.

How do I end up finding out everything I wanted to know about the 1979 Superbowl? :confused:

pfrduke
02-01-2009, 02:54 PM
And our lead is slowly disappearing... :(

Um, we have our biggest lead of the game going into the half.

-bdbd
02-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Duke by 22 at half, 43-21. Henderson has 16. UVA playing scared, not assertive. Kyle has been kinda quiet. Smith having a good game too.:D

-BDND

geraldsneighbor
02-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Smith and G played well. Kyle had 2 early fouls. Good to see GP get something going there at halftime.

Cell-R
02-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Um, we have our biggest lead of the game going into the half.

I posted that when we were up by like 16...
After we had been up by 21

pfrduke
02-01-2009, 03:05 PM

If you're making sad faces about 6-point swings during a game, I don't know what to tell you. We were up 34-12 with 8:20 to go. It took 4 full minutes before it dropped to 16 (37-21). Then we scored the last 6 of the half. All that happened with both Scheyer and Singler on the bench for most of the last part of the half.

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 03:06 PM

For all we know, Plumlee could be hurt, sick, coming off a bad practice ... who knows? It seems, though, that K had two options with Lance Thomas, because what he's been doing hasn't been working: Either take him out of the rotation completely, or start him and try to build up his confidence. He chose the latter, and I think that's the right move. This team needs Lance to contribute to reach its potential. And he's playing quite well today.

Perhaps Plumlee's minutes in the first half were sacrificed as a way to build up Lance. Also, UVA isn't a team where Duke would need Plumlee. Their bigs are the kind that Thomas and McClure can defend fine.

How would Plumlee help this? He's even less of an offensive contributor than Thomas. I think in a 20-plus point lead, you can afford to do that. And if you're going to take Singler out of the game at all, you're going to have to live with that, unless you want to play Henderson at the 4 when Kyle is out.

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Duke by 22 at half, 43-21. Henderson has 16. UVA playing scared, not assertive. Kyle has been kinda quiet. Smith having a good game too.:D

-BDND

Smith's been terrific. G-Man was right -- he has to think of himself as a scorer. This idea that he needs to be a pure PG for Duke to succeed is silly. This team doesn't need a pure PG -- we have guys who can create for themselves and others at multiple positions. When Nolan gets the ball, he just needs to think "attack." If he does that and keeps defending the heck out of opposing point guards, that's perfect.

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Wow, Virginia scored 5 straight points? The horror!

Cell-R
02-01-2009, 03:10 PM
If you're making sad faces about 6-point swings during a game, I don't know what to tell you. We were up 34-12 with 8:20 to go. It took 4 full minutes before it dropped to 16 (37-21). Then we scored the last 6 of the half. All that happened with both Scheyer and Singler on the bench for most of the last part of the half.

Chill out.

I wasn't making a big deal about that six point swing. I was just pointing out that Orioles comment about our McClure-Thomas-Paulus offense was true.

Aren't we on the same team?

Cell-R
02-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Wow, Virginia scored 5 straight points? The horror!

I wasn't making a big deal about it, refer to my last post.

Cell-R
02-01-2009, 03:14 PM
For all we know, Plumlee could be hurt, sick, coming off a bad practice ... who knows? It seems, though, that K had two options with Lance Thomas, because what he's been doing hasn't been working: Either take him out of the rotation completely, or start him and try to build up his confidence. He chose the latter, and I think that's the right move. This team needs Lance to contribute to reach its potential. And he's playing quite well today.

Perhaps Plumlee's minutes in the first half were sacrificed as a way to build up Lance. Also, UVA isn't a team where Duke would need Plumlee. Their bigs are the kind that Thomas and McClure can defend fine.

How would Plumlee help this? He's even less of an offensive contributor than Thomas. I think in a 20-plus point lead, you can afford to do that. And if you're going to take Singler out of the game at all, you're going to have to live with that, unless you want to play Henderson at the 4 when Kyle is out.

He didn't say Plumlee would help that.
He was just saying that he wanted to see Plumlee out there.

chrisheery
02-01-2009, 03:16 PM
looks like a different player today. I love when he plays like this. When he is aggressive, getting into the lane, and making the other team pay attention to him, we are such a better team.

I'd love to see some Plumlee to try to grow his confidence. I don't think it would be crazy to play him and Lance at the same time. Maybe some Hi-Lo action?

With this lead, lets go huge with Henderson-Singler-Plumlee-Lance-Zoub.*

*Kidding.

bludvlman
02-01-2009, 03:18 PM
looks like a different player today. I love when he plays like this. When he is aggressive, getting into the lane, and making the other team pay attention to him, we are such a better team.

I'd love to see some Plumlee to try to grow his confidence. I don't think it would be crazy to play him and Lance at the same time. Maybe some Hi-Lo action?

With this lead, lets go huge with Henderson-Singler-Plumlee-Lance-Zoub.*

*Kidding.

Yep, when he plays like a play maker instead of worrying about trying to be conventional PG he is great. He reminds me a lot of Ewing when he was forced to play the PG position.

chrisheery
02-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I really like using Henderson in the medium post (sorta like Jordan used to do for the Bulls). It creates double teams and switches that lead to open shots. Scheyer has been the beneficiary a couple times already today.

chrisheery
02-01-2009, 03:27 PM
with his steal near midcourt leading to breakaway dunk. I guess the game is complete now. He gets one of those every single game. I love this guy. Any other player struggling with his shot as much as he is would let it affect his entire game. Not Singler. He still plays great D, gets tough rebounds, and makes passes that lead to baskets. What a stud.

pfrduke
02-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Sylven Landesberg is really good. May be time to overplay his right and force him left.

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 03:37 PM
with his steal near midcourt leading to breakaway dunk. I guess the game is complete now. He gets one of those every single game. I love this guy. Any other player struggling with his shot as much as he is would let it affect his entire game. Not Singler. He still plays great D, gets tough rebounds, and makes passes that lead to baskets. What a stud.

Since when is Singler struggling with his shot? Did you mean Scheyer?

chrisheery
02-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Since when is Singler struggling with his shot? Did you mean Scheyer?

No. Do you really think he looks confident in his shot? It looks like he's fighting himself on his shot a bit. I guess I'm also basing that on his last few shooting percentages.

against Maryland 3-9
against Wake 7-19
today 2-6

SupaDave
02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Looks like Plumlee and E. WIll are starting to feel it...

pfrduke
02-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Steve Johnson AND 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JDev
02-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I feel immature, because I chuckled a bit when Tim Brando said "Olek Czyz enters the game. He has a good body."