PDA

View Full Version : Men's Lacrosse Exhibition Games

chrishoke
01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Any reports on today's exhibition games would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't make it to Durham today. GO DUKE!

chrishoke
01-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Bueller? Bueller?

chrishoke
02-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Ok - one last try.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I didn't get to the game, but my grandson, "Native" to folks on the board, went and said our freshman---I think its Costabile (sp) looked amazing. He won every face off and dominated the game. Long stick, too.
Love, Ima

chrishoke
02-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks Ima. I hope "Native" can post additional info on the games. CJ was great in high school - he used a long stick on face offs - very unusual. I can't wait to see the new look Devils. Lots of home games this year.

Native
02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Duke scrimmaged Bellarmine and Hampton-Sydney last Saturday.

Our new freshman, C.J. Costabile, is the real deal. Back when Chris Duhon joined the basketball team, I remember feeling extremely optimistic when my grandmother told me that "this kid can soar". I felt a similar optimism when I saw Costabile play. He won nearly all of his faceoff attempts on the day with a longpole, which is incredibly challenging to do.

After losing Danowski, Greer, and the rest of arguably one of the best fifth-year senior classes in lacrosse history, there is some awesome talent in the wings. On attack, we still have Max Quinzani, who holds the all-time goals scoring record among high schools nationwide. Gibbs Fogarty, who was redshirted last year due to injury, will provide senior leadership. Other offensive standouts on attack were Will McKee, a recent transfer who is actually the brother of defenseman Parker McKee. Another attackman that showed promise was Chris Loftus, brother of last year's starting keeper Dan Loftus.

The midfield is very fast, and the starting line can shoot the ball. While Ned Crotty was run as part of the attack unit, Steve Schoeffel looked astounding; he scored numerous times and proved that he's willing to step up and be an all-conference pick. Brad Ross also looked very good.

Our defense will also be very special this year. Mike Manley and Parker McKee will perform for this year. Goalie Rob Schroeder, denoted by many analysts as a question mark for this season, showed well. He made all the right saves and cleared the ball well.

A lot of people are saying that this year's team won't be as good as last year's. I disagree; while we have lost some of the best players in college lacrosse history, the pressure to win is off as well. Also, some of the freshmen/sophomores who were not on campus for the scandal do not have to think about that while they play. We are still a very talented team, ranked #8 in the preseason by Inside Lacrosse magazine. Our schedule is also good; I believe we only have four road games this season. Don't expect a high seed in the NCAA tournament, but expect this team to surprise some people.

However, the rest of the ACC is incredibly good. UVA is the preseason #1, UNC has their best team in a long while, and Maryland just got Notre Dame transfer Will Yeatman, who stacks an talented attack. This kid, who may play in the NFL as a TE, is over 6 feet, 200 pounds.

Our next scrimmage is at 10 A.M. on Saturday, February 7. Duke plays Salisbury, a powerhouse Division III school who has dominated the national championship in recent memory.

DukieInKansas
02-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the update, Native. Not much Duke lacrosse news in Kansas, so I appreciate your information.

formerdukeathlete
02-06-2009, 06:47 PM
However, the rest of the ACC is incredibly good. UVA is the preseason #1, UNC has their best team in a long while, and Maryland just got Notre Dame transfer Will Yeatman, who stacks an talented attack. This kid, who may play in the NFL as a TE, is over 6 feet, 200 pounds.
Our next scrimmage is at 10 A.M. on Saturday, February 7. Duke plays Salisbury, a powerhouse Division III school who has dominated the national championship in recent memory.

Yeatman at over 6' and 200 lbs is a bit of an understatement

http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=8&c=1&nid=1909669

he is about 6-6 and 260.

excellent account, nonetheless, thank you.