PDA

View Full Version : How good of a rebounder is Kyle Singler?

Lord Ash
01-31-2009, 01:22 PM
So I've really been marveling at this... particularly on the offensive end, Kyle is just a PHENOMENAL rebounder, one of the best I can recall in recent memory who isn't Shelden... in fact, Kyle has, so far, matched Shelden's sophomore year rebounding numbers, and is just slightly under Elton's sophomore numbers... Just so smart and SOOO tenacious.

DukeBlood
01-31-2009, 01:30 PM
A very underrated rebounder. To date he is averaging 8.3 RPG, which is 7th in the ACC. Of his 166 rebounds, 61 of them are offensive rebounds.

These are pretty impressive numbers considering he isn't as big or athletic as some of the other players. He just does it with hustle, heart and vision/basketball IQ.

geraldsneighbor
01-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Kyle really positions himself well down on the post. Even though he isn't a real post player, when he gets the ball down low he is extremely effective in putting the ball in. Two years ago I didn't see this coming because there was so much talk of Kyle's natural position being the 3.

flyingdutchdevil
01-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Kyle really positions himself well down on the post. Even though he isn't a real post player, when he gets the ball down low he is extremely effective in putting the ball in. Two years ago I didn't see this coming because there was so much talk of Kyle's natural position being the 3.

Also, his reaction time is incredible. He is so much quicker than the opposing team of knowing where the ball is going to land (and by so much quicker, I mean in milliseconds, which in basketball counts heavily)

jaimedun34
01-31-2009, 01:46 PM
He also has GREAT hands.

Indoor66
01-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Timing,
Timing,
Timing

SMO
01-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Timing,
Timing,
Timing

I think McClure and Scheyer also have great timing on the boards, though with McClure's fewer minutes and Scheyer's smaller size you'd never see similar numbers. I feel like Duke has a good rebounding team overall.

captmojo
01-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Very.

camion
01-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Rebounding is very much about desire and anticipation. Kyle is + in both areas.

geraldsneighbor
01-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Rebounding is very much about desire and anticipation. Kyle is + in both areas.

Yeah, it is like tackling in football. Duke gets singled out alot I feel because Zoubek and Lance don't have 20 rebound games like other teams have. That is such a bad misconception that Duke doesn't rebound because of that.

captmojo
01-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Kyle is very Birdlike in that he instinctively seems to know where to be, on the floor, at what time. This can even be of benefit for you rec center playing guys, who seemingly only possess a 2 inch vertical. Include me in this count. :D

ForeverBlowingBubbles
01-31-2009, 06:33 PM
timing, and great anticipation for where the ball is going to come off

dukelifer
01-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Both Singler and McClure are excellent, natural rebounders. We also saw Scheyer's ability to anticipate when he took a rebound away from a much bigger player (James Johnson) and set up G's tying shot. This team has done a great job on the boards. This was one area of concern with Demarcus leaving.

flyingdutchdevil
01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Both Singler and McClure are excellent, natural rebounders. We also saw Scheyer's ability to anticipate when he took a rebound away from a much bigger player (James Johnson) and set up G's tying shot. This team has done a great job on the boards. This was one area of concern with Demarcus leaving.

I tend to disagree. Scheyer's last rebound was about hustle, not timing (and yes, they are two very different things). Johnson even admitted that he should have gone after the ball, rather than the ball coming to him. Due solely to size, I don't think that Scheyer is a good rebounder. I think G is a much better rebounder, but I attribute that to sheer athleticism.

Scheyer is splendid in a lot of aspects of the game. Rebounding is not one of those fortes.

jv001
01-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Tough as nails. He rebounds at a high level because he's fearless in going after the ball. He's not afraid of contact and puts his body on the line more than anyone I can think of. That includes hanstravel. Go Duke!

dukelifer
01-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I tend to disagree. Scheyer's last rebound was about hustle, not timing (and yes, they are two very different things). Johnson even admitted that he should have gone after the ball, rather than the ball coming to him. Due solely to size, I don't think that Scheyer is a good rebounder. I think G is a much better rebounder, but I attribute that to sheer athleticism.

Scheyer is splendid in a lot of aspects of the game. Rebounding is not one of those fortes.
I did want to suggest that I thought Scheyer was a good rebounder, but simply point out that he uses his outstanding court awareness to get to many balls- which has helped the team. Maybe you are right that hustle had a larger role in the Wake game- but also knowing where the ball was going to end up after he shot it- helped him make that play. I agree that G's improved rebounding is more a function of his athleticism. G has really improved in all aspects of the game. He is even passing the ball :)