PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Tech 76, Wake 74

captmojo
01-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Would my TV explode?
Would the planets fall out of alignment?
Would the polls explode?
Would it take a better free throw % than the Jackets can muster?

It's tight now, but still first half. Teague has three fouls.

Son of Jarhead
01-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Tied at 57 w/ 13 mins to go. GT hit 9 of 10 FT's in 1st half & Wake is in some foul trouble.

captmojo
01-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Wake has match-up problems with this bunch.

chrishoke
01-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Wake by 4 with 2 min. left

chrishoke
01-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Wake by 2, 1 min to go and the ball.

chrishoke
01-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech can tie w/ 34 left- tie game.

captmojo
01-31-2009, 02:14 PM
7 sec left. I smell OT.

chrishoke
01-31-2009, 02:15 PM
74-74, Wake ball, 7 secs left. DEFENSE.

Acymetric
01-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Seems like we've seen this situation before...

captmojo
01-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Well placed TO.

chrishoke
01-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Wake throws it away.

Acymetric
01-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Thats game

chrishoke
Tech by 2 with 1 sec. to go.

captmojo
Schumpert takes the lead.

Johnson, hero Wed, goat today.

BlueintheFace
Down Goes Wake!!!

Oriole Way
01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Wow! WF turns it over and GT takes the lead with a second left... only a miracle for WF not to lose this, right?

Wish I could watch this game.

chrishoke
Down goes Fraiser.

Oriole Way
Awesome.. thank you Georgia Tech!

captmojo
01-31-2009, 02:21 PM
The penguin on my tele just exploded! :D:D:D:eek:

Acymetric
Because it came on right after the game, I'm just gonna mention it here. The "G" commercials are awful. Whats with those guys in white masks "dancing" at the end? Stupid.

bludvlman
There goes WF's poll positioning. Duke better be ranked higher than UNC.

tbyers11
01-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Brilliant inbounds play wins a game for Wake on Wednesday

Awful inbounds play loses the game for Wake today.

That and two clutch jumpers from Iman Shumpert.

should_be_working
01-31-2009, 02:22 PM
that's when you rush a court. What a strange year. Intersting to see the rankings come monday.

Acymetric
01-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Beginning of a turnaround for Tech, or is their season still over? They said during the last couple possessions that Tech has had 6 OT games this year? I wonder how many of those they've won.

Stray Gator
01-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Great game. Wake had the inbounds with 7.3 seconds left and the score tied. Naturally, they showed the last-second winning play from the Duke game. Then Wake threw the pass out of bounds, Tech's Shumpert brings it down and hits the jumper in the lane. Duke still sits atop the ACC for now. :)

burns15
01-31-2009, 02:24 PM
one of the worst officiated games i have watched in a long time. wake had like 5 players with 3 or more fouls at one point.

Kdogg
Did I see Gtech fans with "Go Aminu" signs cheering when GT hit the game winner? If I'm not seeing things that's a bit of a mixed signal.

dukemsu
Wake gets a classic case of Dukeitis.

Easy to get up for Duke. Not as easy to get up for everyone else.

Very good team. Not quite ready to pronounce them a great one.

Looking forward to their trip to Cameron.

dukemsu

Oriole Way
There goes WF's poll positioning. Duke better be ranked higher than UNC.

You never know... NC State is better than GT, and they're hosting UNC at home today. Imagine if both Wake and UNC went down today in ridiculous upsets. Stranger things have happened.

captmojo
01-31-2009, 02:25 PM
You never know... NC State is better than GT, and they're hosting UNC at home today. Imagine if both Wake and UNC went down today in ridiculous upsets. Stranger things have happened.

Sounds like the makings of another new thread.

devildeac
01-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Don't reckon the Deacs will be able to recyle those once-worn, tie-dyed #1 t-shirts just yet...

Misunderestimated
01-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Looked like a different Wake team than the one we saw earlier in the week. Especially at the end...throwing the ball out of bounds during the inbound pass! Are you kidding me? Great composure by GT during the last couple of minutes.

pfrduke
01-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Did I see Gtech fans with "Go Aminu" signs cheering when GT hit the game winner? If I'm not seeing things that's a bit of a mixed signal.

Al-Farouq Aminu's older brother, Alade Aminu, is a senior center and starter for GT. Both are from the Atlanta area.

roywhite
01-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Wrap-up comments on the telecast--"Wake fans in disbelief"...

Sorry, Wake...lol.

BlueintheFace
one of the worst officiated games i have watched in a long time. wake had like 5 players with 3 or more fouls at one point.

... what? Looked pretty fair to me. Wake even got a few friendly calls in the last 3 minutes. Dino needed to tell his guys how the refs were calling it early on like Hewitt did. Refs didn't play a role in that one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
Don't reckon the Deacs will be able to recyle those once-worn, tie-dyed #1 t-shirts just yet...

It's difficult to maintain the level of intensity that Wake had on Wednesday night. Georgia Tech has been SO close to a win for so many games, it was bound to happen, just a question of when.

What a conference! Don't you just love conference play?????

captmojo
01-31-2009, 02:30 PM
It's difficult to maintain the level of intensity that Wake had on Wednesday night. Georgia Tech has been SO close to a win for so many games, it was bound to happen, just a question of when.

Also the level after beating the holes.

CameronCrazy'11
01-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Oldest story in the book. Get up for Duke/ Carolina, lose to lower-tier ACC teams.

SMO
01-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Looked like a different Wake team than the one we saw earlier in the week. Especially at the end...throwing the ball out of bounds during the inbound pass! Are you kidding me? Great composure by GT during the last couple of minutes.

Wasn't Wake a different team on the road last year? BYU aside, I wonder if that will repeat this year.

Son of Jarhead
01-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Al-Farouq Aminu's older brother, Alade Aminu, is a senior center and starter for GT. Both are from the Atlanta area.
& that was their parents with the signs.

roywhite
01-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Had my Duke sweatshirt on yesterday and actually got some grief from Wake fans here in Forsyth County. This result makes me smile; it's a long season, tie-dye nation...don't celebrate too early.

Lord Ash
01-31-2009, 02:38 PM
There seems to be a LOT of harping by Wake fans about the refs. Can anyone who watched it confirm crappy reffing, or is it the sour grapes of the nouveau riche of the basketball world?

captmojo
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
There seems to be a LOT of harping by Wake fans about the refs. Can anyone who watched it confirm crappy reffing, or is it the sour grapes of the nouveau riche of the basketball world?

A little of both, but that did not cost them this game.

Time to go forth and buy beer.

Acymetric
01-31-2009, 02:41 PM

I thought they were a little quick on a couple technicals early on, but I hadn't really been watching the entire game so there may have been some other incidents that made them call it tight, I don't know.

SMO
01-31-2009, 02:41 PM

I can't answer your question as I didn't see the game, but it would have had to be very biased officiating to be a legit excuse for them to lose.

WojoSay?
01-31-2009, 02:43 PM

not to mention it was their parents holding up the signs.

brevity
01-31-2009, 02:43 PM
The Duke curse strikes again?

Wake Forest is now:
2-0 vs. the ACC, Tobacco Road division
0-2 vs. the ACC, Tech Institute division

houstondukie
01-31-2009, 02:44 PM

So? That's not that bad. Depends on how much time is left.

FerryFor50
01-31-2009, 02:46 PM

Seriously? Maybe it's karma for the traveling call last game... or better yet, for the game where nearly EVERY Duke player fouled out against Wake at home. :D

ChicagoCrazy84
01-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Oldest story in the book. Get up for Duke/ Carolina, lose to lower-tier ACC teams.

Absolutely, I think it is the sign of a young team, which they are. Two bad losses for WF in conference so far. Definite signs of a GOOD, young team.

roywhite
01-31-2009, 02:54 PM

Each team was led in rebounding by A. Aminu.

According to unofficial stats, Georgia Tech senior Alade Aminu had 10 points, 13 rebounds and six blocks while younger brother Al-Farouq Aminu led Wake Forest with 17 points and 11 rebounds.

Good work, guys.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Seriously? Maybe it's karma for the traveling call last game... or better yet, for the game where nearly EVERY Duke player fouled out against Wake at home. :D

Ha, I remember that. I think we had to play a walk-on for the last couple minutes.

CameronCrazy'11
01-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Each team was led in rebounding by A. Aminu.

According to unofficial stats, Georgia Tech senior Alade Aminu had 10 points, 13 rebounds and six blocks while younger brother Al-Farouq Aminu led Wake Forest with 17 points and 11 rebounds.

Good work, guys.

Tyler Hansbrough works so hard that I bet he could single-handedly lead both teams in rebounding!

SMO
01-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Tyler Hansbrough works so hard that I bet he could single-handedly lead both teams in rebounding!

Toughest kid in America. If you can call a 23-year old a kid.

Back to the Wake game though - I think Wake shot better from the field and from 3 and still lost to Ga Tech! That's wild.

CameronCrazy'11
01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Toughest kid in America. If you can call a 23-year old a kid.

Back to the Wake game though - I think Wake shot better from the field and from 3 and still lost to Ga Tech! That's wild.

For a team with NBA size, Wake is surprisingly bad at rebounding.

Stray Gator
01-31-2009, 03:21 PM

I watched only the second half, and saw no significant slant in the officiating during that period. Based on experience, I recognize and accept the fact that, in the ACC, the home team typically gets the benefit of a few close calls. That's why I shrugged it off Wednesday night when, after a fairly evenhanded first half, the officiating in the second half tilted to the extent that it was worth about 6-8 points to Wake, IMO. But we still were in position to win the game, and lost because Wake made a better play at the end than Duke. It's a "cost of doing business" in the ACC. (And in fairness, it should be noted that some other conferences are worse.) I truly believe that officials want to be neutral and objective; but I also understand that they are human, and may sometimes be influenced by the flow and stage of the game as well as the crowd.

If Wake fans think their team should be entitled to receive the same kind of favorable treatment from officials on the road as they get at home, they need to grow up. Everyone who has been around this conference for a while knows full well that no visiting team gets the benefit of the officiating except Carolina. :D

Saratoga2
01-31-2009, 03:27 PM
What GT did to Wake, Virginia could do to us. Play hard and smart.

CameronBornAndBred
01-31-2009, 03:40 PM
I wish GT had saved it for UNC. Gotta love the ACC, now that we are beating each other up like every year, we will drop as a conference again like every year. But there is no team in the ACC that I would want to see in the tourney. Congrats to GT.

geraldsneighbor
01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I didn't start a thread because I was the reason UNC beat FSU the other night when I started that thread. Awesome game though to watch today with GT-WF. Back and forth game, but Teague missing the 1 and 1 was costly.

hurleyfor3
01-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Wake has "second-round exit" written all over them? I don't think this about unc/uconn/pitt, or even us as much. (We'll go at least a round further.)

SupaDave
01-31-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm pouring champagne all over myself here in Atlanta!! I'm about to fire up the grill! This is a wonderful day. I just love it.

It's special for SO many reasons. Go Tech!

dukelifer
01-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Wake has "second-round exit" written all over them? I don't think this about unc/uconn/pitt, or even us as much. (We'll go at least a round further.)

Wake is more likely to stumble- but if they get to the final eight I expect they will raise their game. They continue to show their youth. Today- Teague got a T at a somewhat unimportant play. If someone steps up and leads them- it could all change- but this team needs a senior/junior leader.

bjornolf
01-31-2009, 06:44 PM
If anybody got jobbed by refs today, it was Georgetown playing at Marquette. The lost by about 10, but they shot 8-13 from the foul line. Marquette shot...wait for it... 30-38! Made 22 more, shot 25 more! They shot over 50% from the floor, and the game was tied at 42 at the half. It was an insane 2nd half for Marquette. Yes, there was some fouling to stop the clock at the end of the game, but at that point, it was like 7-11 foul shots to 24-30. The game looked a lot more even than that to me as far as fouls go. Ah, well, se la vie!

dukestheheat
01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Take that Wake Forest. I have been very happy ever since the end of that game. Our Devils now reside solely in the first place in the ACC!

GO DUKE!

dukestheheat.

jv001
01-31-2009, 08:20 PM

As having 5 players foul out in one game. What goes around comes around. Go Duke!

dukeENG2003
01-31-2009, 09:14 PM

Meh, home team got some calls, but nothing abnormal. They've got nothing to complain about, this is just the way things go on the road in the ACC.

http://t4toby.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/whambulance.jpg

ncexnyc
01-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Hey Dino,
I just want to thank you and the boys for making me look so good after I build you up by posting this the other day:

Wake Forest is the real deal. I read lots of, "their defense isn't very good" and "their inexperience will hurt them" posts leading up to this game, but in the end they showed they are a very good defensive team. They do have two shortcomings and that is free throw shooting and outside shooting, with the exception of Teague. I even recall seeing a couple of people writing how they almost gave away this game and the UNC game, but how many teams would even be in that position, let alone actually seal the deal? Oh, and by the way the lone loss, which every pointed to and said, "see I told you they would lose to a lesser team." Well that lesser team, VaTech has only one ACC loss to date and we all know who hung that one on them.

:mad: