PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Brandon Costner Column

wolfpackdevil
01-30-2009, 12:52 PM
The Brandon Costner column on the front page was kind of weird.

I don't know where DBR got it from, but it is an interview where Brandon says that he will definatly be done after this season.

Now either this interview is all yellow journalism, or it is scary for the Wolfpack.

But I don't think that this would have been released, and GoPack or ESPN not cover it.

So after reading this I think that it's mostly fake, but I don't know.

Any thoughts??

devildeac
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Well that would open up plenty of PT for Derrick Favors.

Oh, wait a minute. Never mind.:rolleyes:

flyingdutchdevil
01-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Lowe was a great player and is a decent recruiter. Not so much a coach. I bet all the NCSU alums are smacking themselves across the head with what they did to Herb. They aren't going to make the tourney this year or the next, with or without Costner.

Also, Costner going pro? Seriously? He's a fat, undersized 4 who has an okay 3-point shot and can't play D that great. Wow - good luck in the pros.

allenmurray
01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I think Costner is smart enough to try to get some advice before he makes a final decision. I hadn't realized he did a red-shirt year and is going to graduate this Spring. Good for him! However, since he has another year of eligibility I think he would do well to use it, drop a little weight (or turn it into muscle) so he becomes a bit quicker. He has a nice outside shot for someone his size, but is not strong enough to play in the league right now. He probaly won't get stronger, but he could get quicker with diet, weight room, and conditioning work. And since he seems to be a pretty bright kid, maybe pick up some credits toward a graduate degree at the same time.

Acymetric
01-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Lowe was a great player and is a decent recruiter. Not so much a coach. I bet all the NCSU alums are smacking themselves across the head with what they did to Herb. They aren't going to make the tourney this year or the next, with or without Costner.

Also, Costner going pro? Seriously? He's a fat, undersized 4 who has an okay 3-point shot and can't play D that great. Wow - good luck in the pros.

I mentioned that Costner looked a little fat to a Pack friend of mine and he acted like I was crazy.

Olympic Fan
01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
The quotes in question clearly came from last summer -- Costner was interviewed at a big man's camp in June.

It doesn't contradict anything I've been hearing from Raleigh. Costner, who redshirted his freshman year due to injury, will get his degree thing spring and move on ...

To the NBA?

I sure don't know. The draft prediction websites have him as a high second-round pick FWIW (not much). But logic doesn't always apply in these cases. In any evident, Costner's father played several years in Europe, had a great experience and made a lot of money, so I wouldn't be shocked if he made that choice.

On one hand, Costner has played on three Wolfpack teams that have been a lot closer to the bottom of the ACC than the top. With McCauley and Fells (also a senior) leaving, State is likely to remain in the second division next season (recruits Lorenzo Brown, Richard Howell and Scott Wood are okay, but despite the delusions of some Pack fans, they aren't projected as big impact guys). About the only thing that could change that would be the unexpected arrival of recruiting targets John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins.

If Wall pulls a shocker and picks the Pack, I could see Costner deciding to return to play for a contending team. If Wall goes elsewhere (and I still don't think he comes to Duke), look for Costner to bolt -- leaving the Pack with less talent than this season.

BD80
01-30-2009, 04:40 PM
... I could see Costner deciding to return to play for a contending team. ...

As a graduate, wouldn't he be able to enroll at a new school and avoid the transfer restrictions? He could choose his contending team.