PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Banned Posters

Jumbo
01-30-2009, 12:12 PM
It takes a lot to get permanently banned from this site. But if you cross that line, it obviously means we're going to make sure you don't post again. In a recent thread, our old friends ImagePro and TrinityDevil decided to re-register under new names, "notonemore" and "PutMeInCoach."

Our admins are pretty skilled with computers -- far more than I am. As well as you think you can cover your tracks, they'll find you. So, please understand the following: If you are banned, you are not welcome here. Ever. Do not come back. Thank you.

BD80
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
... If you are banned, you are not welcome here. Ever. Do not come back. Thank you.

And this is the "Kinder, Gentler" Jumbo. :D

What would the "old" Jumbo have done? Probably not have added the "thank you."

EarlJam
01-30-2009, 01:10 PM

He'd have shot them. :)

-EJ

Jumbo
01-30-2009, 02:26 PM

Ha! Just needed to get the message across, I guess. The number of people who have received perma-bans is incredibly small. It takes some really reprehensible behavior or repeated flaunting of all guidelines, to achieve that status. The admins do not want them associated with the site. When they make attempts to come back, we're gonna smoke 'em out! ;)

Indoor66
01-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Ha! Just needed to get the message across, I guess. The number of people who have received perma-bans is incredibly small. It takes some really reprehensible behavior or repeated flaunting of all guidelines, to achieve that status. The admins do not want them associated with the site. When they make attempts to come back, we're gonna smoke 'em out! ;)

...hunt 'em down and kill 'em. :D

BlueDevilBaby
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Sick Patrick D on 'em.;)

feldspar
01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
This must be the Shock and Awe stage.

Next year we'll be reading a thread from Jumbo titled "Mission Accomplished," which will feature flashy fonts and cool photos, but several banned posters will infiltrate it and shut it down. Then DBR will employ a surge and sign on 50 new moderators to tamp down the rebellion.

Pretty soon after a heretofore unknown poster who started an obscure thread back on the Off-Topic board in the Shock and Awe stage will rise to prominence as an eloquent poster who denounces Jumbo's campaign of evil, and promises to bring real change to DBR.

He will be opposed by the grizzled old Jason Evans, who will decry him as unqualified and a radical who used to PM back and forth with the likes of Sun Tzu and McGrupp. But the mantra of CHANGE will prevail and soon we will have an uber-moderator who promises the newbie posters lower search times and more features and threatens to raise the posting guidelines for elite long-time posters like Stray Gator.

He will be ushered in as the first moderator in DBR history who is a die-hard Carolina fan and the people will love him.

RepoMan
01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
He will be ushered in as the first moderator in DBR history who is a die-hard Carolina fan and the people will love him.

The Lord Humungous, who rules the Wasteland

rsvman
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
... It takes some really reprehensible behavior or repeated flaunting of all guidelines.....

Kind sir, I sincerely hope that I will not be permanently banned for pointing out that the word you were searching for is "flouting," not "flaunting." :)

blazindw
01-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Kind sir, I sincerely hope that I will not be permanently banned for pointing out that the word you were searching for is "flouting," not "flaunting." :)
;)

http://www.searchenginepanel.com/wp-content/uploads/banned.gif

Cavlaw
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I was never issued that stamp. Do I need to talk to somebody in purchasing?

EarlJam
01-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Just topline, what did they do or write?

Did they commit the ultimate sin by calling Coach K a Widdling Ningledoogler? Or Laettner a Fong-Goggling Snocket-Crockler?

If they did, 1) May they also burn in Hell and 2) I say we hunt them down, hold their eyelids open and pour a box of table salt in each eye.

-EarlJam

-jk
01-30-2009, 04:48 PM

Did they commit the ultimate sin by calling Coach K a Widdling Ningledoogler? Or Laettner a Fong-Goggling Snocket-Crockler?

If they did, 1) May they also burn in Hell and 2) I say we hunt them down, hold their eyelids open and pour a box of table salt in each eye.

-EarlJam

Almost all of the permanently banned were banned for their body of work rather than any single post, and usually after receiving many infractions.

-jk

Rudy
01-30-2009, 04:53 PM
This must be the Shock and Awe stage.

Next year we'll be reading a thread from Jumbo titled "Mission Accomplished," which will feature flashy fonts and cool photos, but several banned posters will infiltrate it and shut it down. Then DBR will employ a surge and sign on 50 new moderators to tamp down the rebellion.

Pretty soon after a heretofore unknown poster who started an obscure thread back on the Off-Topic board in the Shock and Awe stage will rise to prominence as an eloquent poster who denounces Jumbo's campaign of evil, and promises to bring real change to DBR.

He will be opposed by the grizzled old Jason Evans, who will decry him as unqualified and a radical who used to PM back and forth with the likes of Sun Tzu and McGrupp. But the mantra of CHANGE will prevail and soon we will have an uber-moderator who promises the newbie posters lower search times and more features and threatens to raise the posting guidelines for elite long-time posters like Stray Gator.

Comrade to Dr. Zhivago, after the latter made a sacastic remark, "You've been noticed, you know. Oh yes, you've been noticed!"

Jeffrey
01-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Almost all of the permanently banned were banned for their body of work rather than any single post, and usually after receiving many infractions.

-jk

Hi,

IMO, the fact that these two continue to try to sneak in the backdoor, and engage immediate confrontations, reveals volumes about them. I don't believe the moderators need to provide us with any explanation or additional information. Everything we need to know is right there in front of us.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

bjornolf
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
If you are banned, you are not welcome here. Ever. Do not come back. Thank you.

Did this remind anyone of Barty Crouch Jr. when he was using polyjuice potion to pretend to be Mad-Eye Moody in the Goblet of Fire movie? I was sure he made a speach to Harry with short sentences that ended in "Thank you. Goodbye." :D

bjornolf
01-30-2009, 05:26 PM

-jk

Wow. EJ, think you'd better start minding your p's and q's. ;) As should I. :eek:

-Joe

Indoor66
01-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Maybe the p's & q's need to remain on the OTB in the yummmmmmmmmm beer thread?

bjornolf
01-30-2009, 05:35 PM

First of all, it was the "Ymm, beer." thread and second of all, I beg to differ. I have never even read that thread, let alone posted to it. I don't drink beer. I prefer irish whisky. Get your facts straight. ;) Now, if you were talking about EJ, then I apologize. Carry on. I'm sure he spends LOADS of time there. :eek: Wouldn't know, though, since to my dying day, I will deny ever having had the pleasure of visiting there. :rolleyes:

And to Cavlaw, all I have to say is thank goodness you DIDN'T have that stamp the other day or I would REALLY have been in trouble. :cool:

Ben63
01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
But how exactly does one get caught?

If they sign up under a different username with a different e-mail address how can the mods tell it isn't just a new and innocent user?

Note: I am not asking this to try and get around it someday, I am not planning anything, I'm just a curious young mind.

CameronBornAndBred
01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I was never issued that stamp. Do I need to talk to somebody in purchasing?
Congratulations on your promotion to planetary leader. Popplers are delicious.
http://www.ssfuturama.cz/info/nations/races/poppler.jpg

Got_Duke
01-30-2009, 05:51 PM
i don't see what the big deal is and i really see this post as a "look how big and bad we are, we banned carolina and/or other team fans again and again"

why make an announcement? is it necessary? and if they are banned do they even have a chance of reading this?

and if they CAN read this and look at the message board, why ban them in the first place?

tbyers11
01-30-2009, 05:51 PM

If they sign up under a different username with a different e-mail address how can the mods tell it isn't just a new and innocent user?

Note: I am not asking this to try and get around it someday, I am not planning anything, I'm just a curious young mind.

They were likely coming from the same IP address that they had previously used. If a poster had been banned from their home computer and changed the things you mentioned above and posted from a public computer at a cypercafe or public library I don't know how DBR could track that.

Then again DBR could be Big Brother incarnate and I could have just been labeled doubleplusungood ;)

Jumbo
01-30-2009, 06:03 PM

D'oh! This is what happens why I type quickly. Also, enjoy your last few minutes on the DBR.

Jumbo
01-30-2009, 06:06 PM
i don't see what the big deal is and i really see this post as a "look how big and bad we are, we banned carolina and/or other team fans again and again"

why make an announcement? is it necessary? and if they are banned do they even have a chance of reading this?

and if they CAN read this and look at the message board, why ban them in the first place?

I'm sorry you see this post as some sort of expression of power. It has nothing to do with Carolina fans or anything else.

This message is specifically for people who have been issued perma-bans. That means you have nothing to worry about. But, yes, when people are banned, they can read the board. They just can't post here. And a few people have tried to circumvent that by creating new usernames. The mods decided to inform them that such behavior is not acceptable and that we will prevent them from posting here again. In other words, it's a waste of time to go create another username. We'd like to avoid this situation completely in the future.

sue71, esq
01-30-2009, 06:16 PM

And somehow, I just don't think they'd post the answer here. In public. For all to see. :rolleyes:

-jk
01-30-2009, 06:25 PM
And somehow, I just don't think they'd post the answer here. In public. For all to see. :rolleyes:

And somehow, I suspect you'd be correct. ;)

-jk

Indoor66
01-30-2009, 06:37 PM

Obviously they get fingerprints from the posts that are revealed by fuming super glue on the posts. :eek:

CameronBornAndBred
01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Don't let us read that quote during your murder trial one day. :eek:

RelativeWays
01-30-2009, 07:19 PM

-EarlJam

Hey! Them's fightin' words at Hogwarts

SupaDave
01-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Obviously they get fingerprints from the posts that are revealed by fuming super glue on the posts. :eek:

Actually we use your monitors to take retina scans...

EarlJam
01-30-2009, 09:58 PM
D'oh! This is what happens why I type quickly. Also, enjoy your last few minutes on the DBR.

Jumbo,

Can I be a moderator? Who better than ME, EarlJam? I've cleaned up my act. I'm not begging (I won't do that). But seriously, I've talked to 57 members here who think I should be a moderator.

C'mon, you know deep down you want it. As do the others. Me, EarlJam, a moderator. Oh the beautiful Irony!

So, am I in? What do I have to do? Take a test? Live totally clean for a year? Let's make this happen. :D

-EJ

BlueintheFace
01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I am pretty sure I have been told this a time or two, but my memory is not the best. How does one become a moderator in the first place (besides, you know, being around when the site started)?

Jumbo
01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I am pretty sure I have been told this a time or two, but my memory is not the best. How does one become a moderator in the first place (besides, you know, being around when the site started)?

Jumbo,

Can I be a moderator? Who better than ME, EarlJam? I've cleaned up my act. I'm not begging (I won't do that). But seriously, I've talked to 57 members here who think I should be a moderator.

C'mon, you know deep down you want it. As do the others. Me, EarlJam, a moderator. Oh the beautiful Irony!

So, am I in? What do I have to do? Take a test? Live totally clean for a year? Let's make this happen. :D

-EJ

The first rule of being a moderator: There are no moderators.

BlueintheFace
01-30-2009, 10:29 PM
The first rule of being a moderator: There are no moderators.

I thought the first rule of being a moderator was-- "don't talk about being a moderator." I think that is the second rule too.

Cavlaw
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
I thought the first rule of being a moderator was-- "don't talk about being a moderator." I think that is the second rule too.
Wait... we have moderators?

BD80
01-30-2009, 11:27 PM
... Can I be a moderator? ... I've cleaned up my act. ...

... What do I have to do? Take a test? Live totally clean for a year? Let's make this happen. :D

I hear the virtual drug testing is strictly enforced, and its rough on your keyboard.

devildeac
01-31-2009, 01:19 AM

You rang?:o

In fact, I believe I am going to enjoy a p(int) right now. Well, actually about 11 ounces, or half a bomber.;)

And BTW, it's the "ymm, beer" thread:p.

Indoor66
01-31-2009, 09:43 AM
And BTW, it's the "ymm, beer" thread:p.

I know that, but it has become so lonnnnnnnnnng.:eek:

davekay1971
01-31-2009, 09:59 AM

After receiving a warning for offensive behavior on DBR, I noticed a black van with darkly tinted windows near my home and workplace all too frequently for about two weeks. I think I even saw the gleam of a camera lens. Also, I noticed a clicking sound in the background when I used my home and cell phones. Then there were the black helicopters that I saw hovering high overhead. So, trust me...DBR knows...they always know...

sue71, esq
01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
After receiving a warning for offensive behavior on DBR, I noticed a black van with darkly tinted windows near my home and workplace all too frequently for about two weeks. I think I even saw the gleam of a camera lens. Also, I noticed a clicking sound in the background when I used my home and cell phones. Then there were the black helicopters that I saw hovering high overhead. So, trust me...DBR knows...they always know...

Instead of black vans and helicopters, shouldn't they be blue???

DukePA
01-31-2009, 10:35 AM

Excellent point. Perhaps EJ will confirm :D

Ben63
01-31-2009, 10:41 AM

Not at all. They don't want to make it too obvious it's DBR hunting you down.;)

bjornolf
01-31-2009, 10:46 AM

Being around since the beginning doesn't do it either. I've been on this site in one form or another for over a decade, and I never had an infraction or a deleted post before last week. I even asked to be made a moderator back when they first started having outside moderators, and I got shot down. I think it's like skull and bones, you have to be sponsored and invited by a member and pass some kind of test of questionable moral fiber, so that they have you forever. They need evidence with which to take you down with if you ever turn on them. ;)

sue71, esq
01-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Being around since the beginning doesn't do it either. I've been on this site in one form or another for over a decade, and I never had an infraction or a deleted post before last week. I even asked to be made a moderator back when they first started having outside moderators, and I got shot down. I think it's like skull and bones, you have to be sponsored and invited by a member and pass some kind of test of questionable moral fiber, so that they have you forever. They need evidence with which to take you down with if you ever turn on them. ;)

Don't forget the required blood & hair samples.

sue71, esq
01-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Excellent point. Perhaps EJ will confirm :D

Rule #1: You don't talk about Fight Club.

Lavabe
01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Rule #1: You don't talk about Fight Club.

Some of us STILL don't talk about Fight Club.:rolleyes:

devildeac
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
I know that, but it has become so lonnnnnnnnnng.:eek:

There are a lotttttt of beerrrsss out there to ennnjjjjoy;).

devildeac
01-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Jumbo,

-EJ

Oh
My
Word

Do I sense an apocalypse on the horizon?:rolleyes:

devildeac
01-31-2009, 10:58 AM

I have more of a vision of the scene near the end of The Blues Brothers when the entire law enforcement community of Illinois converges on the tax office as Jake and Elwood pay the overdue property taxes (?) for the convent (?).:eek:

davekay1971
01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I have more of a vision of the scene near the end of The Blues Brothers when the entire law enforcement community of Illinois converges on the tax office as Jake and Elwood pay the overdue property taxes (?) for the convent (?).:eek:

That's what happens to you if you try to sneak back in after the lifetime ban. They give you one chance to stay away. After that, it's kind of like Gene Hackman told English Bob in Unforgiven after beating him half-to-death and putting him on the train out of town: "I guess you know, Bob, if I ever see you again, I'm just going to start shooting and figure it's self-defense."

captmojo
01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh
My
Word

Do I sense an apocalypse on the horizon?:rolleyes:

Only if this ploy should work. :D

Indoor66
01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Is it time for non-moderators to organize? We need a union.

Hire Greybeard as the lawyer.

TillyGalore
01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Don't let us read that quote during your murder trial one day. :eek:

Don't you mean his alleged murder trial? ;)

camion
01-31-2009, 11:34 AM
How does DBR ferret out banned posters? They have their ways.

Contrary to published reports this wasn't NSA it was a DBR project.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/secretroom1_f.jpg

The NSA story was a DBR plant.

Lavabe
01-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Is it time for non-moderators to organize? We need a union.

Hire Greybeard as the lawyer.

POTD!!

onepresent
01-31-2009, 11:58 AM

The black vans and helicopters were introduced in 1996. Prior to that they were blue.

sue71, esq
01-31-2009, 12:05 PM
The black vans and helicopters were introduced in 1996. Prior to that they were blue.

ROFL, but ouch! LOL!