PDA

View Full Version : Hyphenates

Mudge
01-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I am just wondering what the end game will be in the modern world of hyphenated working women's (and thus kids') names... for instance, if Chris Douglas-Roberts decides to get married to Keshia Knight-Pulliam, will their kids be named Douglas-Roberts-Knight-Pulliam (or some variation thereof)? And will Keshia add two more hyphenates to her last name, or keep her name as is?

Also, what is the most common reason that women hyphenate their last name when they get married, rather than either taking their husband's name or just keeping their name the same as it was?

Mr Blue Devil
01-30-2009, 08:30 AM
I dunno but I went to school with a kid named John Paul Cavanaugh O'Keefe.

It was easiest to just call him JPCOK.

blublood
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
In my opinion, this is most often the result of a compromise between taking a last name and keeping your own name. Also, I have met a lot of women who came from very prominent families and keeping their maiden name in the picture is a point of pride and identification.

Personally, I just include both name on everything, but don't hyphenate. It just seems simpler.

CathyCA
01-30-2009, 10:16 AM
In my opinion, this is most often the result of a compromise between taking a last name and keeping your own name. Also, I have met a lot of women who came from very prominent families and keeping their maiden name in the picture is a point of pride and identification.

Personally, I just include both name on everything, but don't hyphenate. It just seems simpler.

I hyphenated when I got married. I had done all of my studies, earned my degrees and begun my career under MY name, not his, and it was a way to keep my career continuity going, rather than adopt a new name and feel like I was starting over.

After we had kids, it just seemed easier to keep his name rather than the hyphenated one. Sigh.

When we divorced, I immediately began using my birth name again. And no one looks at me funny when they realize that my kids and I have different last names, despite Ex-Lax's protestations to the contrary.

I like my birth last name. When I deal with people who know my parents and my brothers, having my birth name as my surname gives me an immediate connection and credibility.