PDA

View Full Version : MBB: #11 Clemson 86, Virginia Tech 82

geraldsneighbor
01-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Good game going in Blacksburg. Va Tech opened up a 15 point lead thanks to 30 points from Delaney in the games first 25 minutes. The lead has since shrinked to 5. Clemson has started playing some defense, 63-58 with 12 minutes to go.

Musberger just said "a win for VT should have them mentioned with Duke, Wake and UNC"

Brent, they scored 44 points on Duke. Easy slugger.

Cameron
01-29-2009, 08:40 PM
This is an odd game. Usually it's Oliver's club that's choking away like Scott Norwood. Tonight, however, the Tigers are playing spoiler. Clemson is on a 20 to one run right now.

This would be a HUGE win for Clemson. Not only because Tech is playing so well right now, but also because another big loss would have been devastating, and perhaps a door to another colossal late season collapse for the Tigers.

geraldsneighbor
01-29-2009, 08:53 PM
VT 79-76 late. Delaney has 37.

riverside6
01-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Malcolm Delaney with 37 points at this point and VT up 79-76...Delaney and KC Rivers have been stealing the show.

Cameron
01-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Clemson's going to win this thing. The Tigers up 86 to 82 with 6.7 left. Nice win for Oliver's team.

roywhite
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Seth's team doesn't have the guard play they need. Delaney is very good, but Vassallo is more of a shooter or wing player, and there's not much else on the perimeter.

SMO
01-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Seth's team doesn't have the guard play they need. Delaney is very good, but Vassallo is more of a shooter or wing player, and there's not much else on the perimeter.

Vassallo swearing at his coach can't help. Maybe if they had pulled off the win it would have slid by but I can't imagine a coach putting up with that.

Wander
01-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Neither of these has anything to with the game, but:

1. Bob Knight had a really good breakdown of our defense screwing up on the last play at Wake.
2. The game that follows, Rutger-Seton Hall, has to be the worst nationally televised game in the history of the sport.

Cameron
01-29-2009, 10:47 PM
1. Bob Knight had a really good breakdown of our defense screwing up on the last play at Wake.

I didn't watch the last two seconds last night (I was hiding like a child in a dark room across the hall, miles away from the TV I knew was going to cause me great sadness -- I just knew after the travel call it was over), and I certainly didn't again tonight. So, I turned that portion of the telecast off for a brief moment. But...

Listening to Coach Bobby Knight during a telecast is very humbling. He probably learned more about the game of basketball during those 120 minutes than I will ever know the rest of my life. My goodness he's a genius. We should all mentally thank Bobby Knight each day for making Coach the leader of our program that he (K) is.

I like Vitale's enthusiasm, especially for Duke-Carolina games, but I would give anything to have Bobby Knight calling our big games on ESPN. That would be fabulous.

whereinthehellami
01-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Malcom Delaney might be playing the best basketball in the conference right now. As of right now, I have him as a lock for 1st team All-ACC. He has a beautiful shot, nice arc and oh so soft. And this year he has added a lethal tear drop/floater shot. On defense he has quick hands and displays decent basketball savy. Malcom has alo become a leader for the Hokies and is the big reason they have won 9 out of the last 11 (I think?). If either Allen or Vassaillo stepped up last night, the Hokies win.

Chitowndevil
01-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Agree with Cameron about Bob Knight's broadcast. He's great at explaining specific plays but also has a great feel for the flow of the game. I was highly amused when one on particular possession he talked about how Clemson really had to be patient seconds before Rivers (I think) rose up and hit a deep three. Knight responded, "well, that shows you what I know about coaching". Absolutely priceless.

MulletMan
01-30-2009, 03:46 PM
This was a really fun game to watch. Every time I thought one team was going to take control, the other team wrenched it away. And there was great, great playmaking going on.

the exchange between Greenberg and Vassallo was stunning. I mean, what the hell happened there?

And I will echo everyone else... it is awesome to hear Coach Knight call these games. You can learn so much when he breaks plays down and describes where people should be at given points. Man... why can't he be Packer's replacement at the FF?

The1Bluedevil
01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Wake gets a week off to prepare for Duke and now Clemson does. Lucky foes

Olympic Fan
01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Wake gets a week off to prepare for Duke and now Clemson does. Lucky foes

And in between the Duke-Wake and Duke-Clemson games, Duke plays Virginia.

Guess how long Virginia had to prepare for Duke?

Hancock 4 Duke
01-31-2009, 12:58 PM
I had my 12u game at the same time as that game, but fortunately, my dad (better known as woot) was in the car listening to it on the radio. There was chaos in Clemson at the local restaurants. I can't believe they pulled it off. I just hope they don't do the same to Duke...