PDA

View Full Version : WBB Duke vs. Florida State

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
The women play at FSU at 7:00 tonight, video on ACC Select, audio on Inside Access. This is going to be a great bellweather to see where the ladies are at. FSU is ranked 18th in the country, and is tied with Duke at 5-0 in the conference. I'm sure we will see the Devil's play great D as always, I just hope the offense is there. We can't afford to keep missing so many close shots and expect to keep winning. The same goes for turnovers, we have got to protect the ball better. Looking forward to a great game, I'm probably going to purchase the ACC select viewing because I can't stand to listen to the online broadcast. I really hope they provide the women with some respectable broadcast equipment in the near future, what they produce now is shameful.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2009, 07:52 PM
37-34 Duke lead at half. Uncharacteristically weak defense has offered up several scoring opportunities for the Seminoles. Duke's offense had a great first 10 minutes, then we reverted to our old ways. Our shots have been falling, which is great, but we have turned the ball over so much we are denying ourselves the chance to score. FSU's defense is to blame for some, but not all of the missed chances. Jasmine Thomas is having a great game, and while Abby only has 5 points, she is all over the place and playing well. Chante Black sat early again with 2 fouls.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Tie game. 9 seconds left. FSU ball.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2009, 08:54 PM
WHEW!!!! Going to overtime, best defense by Duke played with 6 seconds left.

roywhite
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Overtime?

Looks that way on GameTracker...Duke lost a lead in the last minute; up by as much as 5 points; Fl State hit a key 3 and Duke missed the front end of 1-and-1 free throw.

Looks like good shooting overall.

godukecom
01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Duke loses
terrible preformence for the last 7 minutes

zingit
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Whoa! I wasn't watching; that took me by surprise. Can anyone fill me in on what overtime looked like, and how we let Florida State back in this thing?

Seems kind of strange to see Florida State--not Duke, UNC, or Maryland--at the top of the ACC standings.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Defense was the culprit this game. Very sporadic, and non-existant in overtime. I think offensively, we actually had our best outing, go figure.
Florida state deserves respect, they sit alone at the top of the ACC, and played a tough, physical game. Freshour was impressive. Too bad we don't play the Noles again, unless we see them in the postseason.

burnspbesq
01-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Whoa! I wasn't watching; that took me by surprise. Can anyone fill me in on what overtime looked like, and how we let Florida State back in this thing?

Seems kind of strange to see Florida State--not Duke, UNC, or Maryland--at the top of the ACC standings.

If the women's ACC tournament started tomorrow, Carolina would be playing on the first day. Go figure.

devildeac
01-30-2009, 08:00 AM
If the women's ACC tournament started tomorrow, Carolina would be playing on the first day. Go figure.

Sad thought, isn't it?:D

DukieInKansas
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM

I'm heartbroken.

jv001
01-30-2009, 10:51 AM
This game the Lady Blue Devils could not overcome the turnovers. Total of 21 with 13 coming from Cheek and Black. We finally have a good shooting game and we lose. Ball handling needs to be adderssed in practice. Go Duke!

jimmymax
01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
My daughter & I respectfully ask that the Duke women's basketball team not be referred to as the Lady Blue Devils.

jv001
01-30-2009, 10:21 PM
My daughter & I respectfully ask that the Duke women's basketball team not be referred to as the Lady Blue Devils.

Does this have anything to do with being politically correct? I've heard them called this name for years. The term refers to a group of women. If I offended you or your daughter, please forgive me. Go Duke(men & women)!

merry
01-30-2009, 11:25 PM

I don't like it when people call them that either. NCSU is the Wolfpack Women (it's even written on their court that way) and tonight on the UVA - Maryland broadcast the announcers called the UVA team the Cavalier Women, and I've always thought of our team as the Duke Women's basketball team or the Blue Devil women.

Let's leave the "lady" language to the so called "Lady Heels".

orrnot
01-30-2009, 11:51 PM
jvoo1,
I respect and appreciate your attachment to all of Duke's teams, and I think there's no reason to attack you for the "lady" usage. jimmymax appears to be feel the same way, which is great. I'll note where I'm coming from and hope I'm not making such an attack.
I think you'll find that no official Duke references to Lady Blue Devils occur into the nineties, and perhaps not prior. I don't doubt that you've heard the usage from true fans, but my observation has been that Duke fans use the term far less than fans of many, maybe most, other programs. Some might argue that the difference reflects a contrarian impulse to be distinct from proud programs like the Lady Tar Heels and the Lady Volunteers, but I think most Duke fans feel that the term is a bit archaic and recalls a prior era in which women's sports were not valued like they are today. I feel this way myself.
I read "Lady" as a redundant adjective. Context typically makes clear which Blue Devil team is under discussion, so it's not really needed. Further, the modification of the term Blue Devil with a gender specifier suggests that the norm is the other. If a Duke man is a Blue Devil and a Duke woman is a Lady Blue Devil, doesn't that at least imply that Blue Devils are first and foremost men?
Many white Southernors--I suspect many white Americans--casually and habitually modify "person" or "guy" or "dude" with the adjective "black" but don't do so when referring to white versions of the same, and this occurs even when race is irrelevant to the topic. There's rarely intentional insult there, but it does reflect a society most of us are happy to have seen changed. I'll call myself out and note that at the beginning of this paragraph I almost left "white" out, because I tend to assume white when I read the word "Southernor," and try though I might I tend to exclusively visualize a man (a gentleman perhaps?) when I read the words "Blue Devil." I'm hoping jimmymax's daughter doesn't, and won't.
I humbly admire the ways in which many African-Americans are as Southern as can be, and I have a similar admiration for the athletic ability, commitment, and hard work that makes Blue Devils of so many Duke women.

devildeac
01-31-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't like it when people call them that either. NCSU is the Wolfpack Women (it's even written on their court that way) and tonight on the UVA - Maryland broadcast the announcers called the UVA team the Cavalier Women, and I've always thought of our team as the Duke Women's basketball team or the Blue Devil women.

Let's leave the "lady" language to the so called "Lady Heels".

Heh-heh. "So called" ...

CameronBornAndBred
01-31-2009, 11:54 AM
I was wondering why this thread got popular, I figured it couldn't have anything to do with the game.

miramar
01-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Ladies, gentlemen, please!

My all-time favorite in this category is the South Carolina Lady Gamecocks, which to me sounds like a rooster in drag. Nevertheless, that is what they are called south of the border:

http://events.thestate.com/columbia-sc/events/show/85503501-university-of-south-carolina-lady-gamecocks-basketball

BTW, I had both men and women players in my classes when I was a TA at Duke 20 years ago, and I found them to be perfect ladies and gentlemen. In fact, by coincidence one of those gentlemen is now sitting with the ladies.

Jim3k
01-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Officially -- from the University, all athletic teams are Blue Devils. There was a institutional decision made back in the Eighties, IIRC, and there was some kind of discussion about it beforehand. And "lady" was specifically rejected.

I'm not going to try to find a link, but be assured there is evidence out there.

One of the people in the SID would easily point to it.

zingit
01-31-2009, 10:31 PM
I was wondering why this thread got popular, I figured it couldn't have anything to do with the game.

Heh, good point. I thought something similar--that more offensive than the term "Lady Blue Devils" is the fact that this thread is talking so much about their name rather than the game itself. Not that I'm really offended by that; I'm just making a point.

(For the record, I am a 21-year-old woman, and I am not offended in the least by the word "lady," in this or any other context. Lighten up, guys.)

But back on topic. I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like our defense was not what we're used to seeing from this team. Do you think it was a sign of some serious weakness in the team, or just a fluke? Was FSU a bad match-up for us somehow? Also, I'm glad to see we shot better in this game, but we continue to have way too many turnovers. Anyone care to comment on our offense? Is it improving, or was this just a good shooting night and nothing more?

Jim3k
01-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Had you rather someone approach your wife, sister, mother or daughter and say;

Lady can you please give me directions?

Only in New York City. Possibly Chicago or Philadelphia, but I don't know those cities well.

Most people in the US say "Ma'am," if they're being polite. ;)

So from now on I will stick to the Duke team coached by Coach K. Go Duke!

Oh, don't limit yourself. The gals will luvit if u talk about them. :p

CameronBornAndBred
01-31-2009, 11:13 PM
But back on topic. I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like our defense was not what we're used to seeing from this team. Do you think it was a sign of some serious weakness in the team, or just a fluke? Was FSU a bad match-up for us somehow? Also, I'm glad to see we shot better in this game, but we continue to have way too many turnovers. Anyone care to comment on our offense? Is it improving, or was this just a good shooting night and nothing more?
I watched it, it was a great game. Freshour had the game of her season, she was hitting everything from outside. Like you noted, turnovers were bad, depending on how you look at it, maybe they cost us the game. For the most part though, our defense, especially in overtime, was weak. Our best effort of the game kept it from being a loss in regulation. It's not a game I take as a bad loss, FSU earned it. It will only be bad if the ladieswomensgirls don't learn from it, and I'm sure they and P are looking at it very closely.

captmojo
02-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Oh, don't limit yourself. The gals will luvit if u talk about them. :p

Gals now. I like it. Next move...broads? :D:D: LOL :D

Ain't PC fun?

I'm slapping myself.

Lid
02-01-2009, 08:47 AM
This seems so obvious. If Duke considers all sports teams to be the Blue Devils, why would anyone feel the need to "improve" that? Do you make up adjectives to add to other schools' team names? (Actually, bad question. I know I do that for Carolina.)

And if you do feel an overwhelming urge to call them the "Lady Blue Devils" you really should have a similar overwhelming urge always to call the other team the "Gentleman Blue Devils", simply to maintain the appropriate parallel structure in names. Otherwise, your former English teachers will be mortified.

To the subject at hand, I'm very curious for the game tomorrow, and wondering what the team will look like. Here's hoping Black doesn't get into early foul trouble again and we can see what develops.

fadero
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Turnovers, letting players have wide open 3s and failure to call a timeout when they had the opportunity to go for the last shot , caused them to lose a game they are going to look back on as giving it away. Not to mention having bad free throw shooters in the game when Fla. State had to foul.

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I've been deleting a ton of posts in this thread, but since no one seems interested in talking about the game, please remember that political discussions belong on the public policy board.