PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question about ACC Tournament Seeding

CameronCrazy'11
01-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I was wondering how ACC tournament seeds are determined when two or more teams have the same conference record. I was hoping one of our more knowledgeable posters might have the answer here.

CDu
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I was wondering how ACC tournament seeds are determined when two or more teams have the same conference record. I was hoping one of our more knowledgeable posters might have the answer here.

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head among the three (or more teams). So if Wake, Duke, and UNC tie, the best record will decide it. I think the next tiebreaker is performance against the ACC team with next-best ACC record (could be mistaken on that, but I think it's right).

callaway
01-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Read the procedure here:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022607aaa.html

brevity
01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the link. I read the rules, and not once does the term "RPI" appear. And no mention of nonconference play.

Are you paying attention, Big 12 football?

Duvall
01-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the link. I read the rules, and not once does the term "RPI" appear. And no mention of nonconference play.

Are you paying attention, Big 12 football?

I'm pretty sure that a Big 12 South scenario (Team A has one loss to Team B, Team B has one loss to Team C, Team C has one loss to Team A) would result in a coin flip under ACC basketball rules.

brevity
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that a Big 12 South scenario (Team A has one loss to Team B, Team B has one loss to Team C, Team C has one loss to Team A) would result in a coin flip under ACC basketball rules.

Yeah, I figured. But a three-way coin flip (however that's conducted) is still more fair than using any formula that incorporates each team's nonconference schedules. That was almost criminal.