PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Wake Forest

Jumbo
01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Wake Forest?

Madrasdukie
01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I loved G, absolutely did. But I have to go with Kyle simply because he committed less unforced errors (I'm banking on what I saw in the game - haven't seen the box score yet).

WojoSay?
01-28-2009, 09:49 PM
They are sooooooo close in this game. I voted for Gerald, because that shot w/ 10 sec. left was BIG. I really believe we are going to be good when JS, KS, and GH collectively get it going.

Ben63
01-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Chose G over Singler though I could have given it to either. Both played excellent games.

What I like about G was him coming right out of halftime and scoring the first 6 points relativley quickly. The reverse jam and one was ridiculous but the real reason I gave it to him was the game tying jumper. Man did that shot take a pair.

geraldsneighbor
01-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I went with Singler because of the size on the interior he played with. G played great but between them had alot of missed shots. Alot to learn after tonight.

rockymtn devil
01-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I went with G, followed by Singler and McClure. Dave showed great hustle and defense and was rewarded with a lot of PT down the stretch. If he plays like that every game, he can become Duke's "glue guy" so to speak.

G might've had some forced mistakes, but they were done in the context of him trying to make plays for a team that seemed incapable of doing so. I can't fault him for that.

DukieBoy
01-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Singler had a huge double double and hit a big three down the stretch, but G takes this one. That shot to tie the game, as stated earlier, took a pair. And he did it without a bit of hesitation. He knew what he was going to do as soon as he got the ball.

brevity
01-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Votes pretty evenly divided thus far, but I went with McClure. He always does the little important things, but he did so much of them tonight -- and on this stage -- that even the most casual viewer can't help but notice.

Loved how the team chipped away at that lead.

BlueintheFace
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
I want the ball in G's hands with the game on the line. I really do.... but a Singler three wouldn't bother me all that much either.

phaedrus
01-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Gerald, for the last shot.

Disturbing how long it's been since Jon's been in the running. Where did your jumpshot go?

Richard Berg
01-29-2009, 12:38 AM
I voted McClure. Without his defense we lose by double digits.

bludvlman
01-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Its an easy one its G, God that kind is going to be a superstar he reminds me of Kobe so much.

Bob Green
01-29-2009, 07:06 AM
Its an easy one its G, God that kind is going to be a superstar he reminds me of Kobe so much.

As much as I desire to critique this short sentence, the significant syntax errors make it impossible for me to accurately interpret the message you are unsuccessfully attempting to communicate.

bludvlman
01-29-2009, 07:12 AM
As much as I desire to critique this short sentence, the significant syntax errors make it impossible for me to accurately interpret the message you are unsuccessfully attempting to communicate.

my bad for the typo I meant to say kid instead of kind.

Bob Green
01-29-2009, 07:16 AM
my bad for the typo I meant to say kid instead of kind.

Its is a pronoun, it's is a contraction for it is. Those are two distinctive and different words. My sixth grade English teacher is turning in her grave.

weezie
01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
While G is the most spectacular all-around player Duke has had in many moons, Kyle is showing signs of true NBA type resilience and dependability. He's such a war horse! Solid, smart play, game after game for our Kyle.

jv001
01-29-2009, 08:22 AM
For me it could have gone either way. Gerald or Kyle. I voted for Kyle because of his strong rebounding effort against that tall tough front line. Gerald had 7 TOs to 4 TOs for Kyle. I know those are high numbers but not when you consider those two were our only offensive weapons. No one else stepped up. Jon tried but his shot is still off. Thank God for Kyle and Gerald. Go Duke!

DukieInBrasil
01-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Though Kyle had a solid performance on the boards he had a terrible night shooting. G shot well, grabbed boards, blocked a shot and had steals. Sure he had unforced errors (7) but so did Singler (4). G got my vote due to the good shooting on an otherwise terrible night shooting or the Devils. In fact, w/o G´s deft touch, the Devils shot ~27% from the floor, absolutely terrible.

rsvman
01-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I voted for Dave.

If he didn't play the way he did, Henderson wouldn't have been shooting to tie the game. We would have lost by 12-15 points.

pamtar
01-29-2009, 09:37 AM
This is my first time voting for G. Why have I waited this long you ask? Its simple. Tonight he had a swagger. He knew he was the best player on the floor. You guys might have noticed it before but it was a first for me.

Someone mentioned Kobe in a previous post. Well, there are some similarities but another name comes to mind when I watch G play, (dare I say it) MJ.

DukeDevilDeb
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I'd almost give it to Wake for the first half! :) We didn't have much of anything then except McClure. But without Kyle's 3s, we are dead in the water. G was magnificent, and one of the other posters was right in saying his final shot was HUGE... so would that final rebound have been without the travel. :(

But in the second half, Kyle seemed to pick everyone up. And his 3s... man, they were just critical.

Go Devils!

Acymetric
01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Dave gave us a huge boost today, and has in several other games, but I think he actually hurts his team with his unwillingness to take a shot. He'll get a kick out for a wide open 3 (I understand if he's not really a 3 point shooter, but he has taken and made 3s in the past) and just pass it up. Worse is when he drives to the hoop, has a pretty good chance to take it all the way for a layup, and then decides to pass it off awkwardly to someone who isn't in nearly as good a position to score as he was. At this point its probably not something that will ever change, but its not as though he doesn't have the moves, I recall several nice moves to get to the basket this year.

That said, definitely goes to Singler. Henderson played great, but also had a ton of turnovers. Of course, he was forced to do a lot himself most of the game, so in some ways those turnovers can be excused.

jv001
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Dave gave us a huge boost today, and has in several other games, but I think he actually hurts his team with his unwillingness to take a shot. He'll get a kick out for a wide open 3 (I understand if he's not really a 3 point shooter, but he has taken and made 3s in the past) and just pass it up. Worse is when he drives to the hoop, has a pretty good chance to take it all the way for a layup, and then decides to pass it off awkwardly to someone who isn't in nearly as good a position to score as he was. At this point its probably not something that will ever change, but its not as though he doesn't have the moves, I recall several nice moves to get to the basket this year.

That said, definitely goes to Singler. Henderson played great, but also had a ton of turnovers. Of course, he was forced to do a lot himself most of the game, so in some ways those turnovers can be excused.

I agree in that Dave should atleast shoot the open 3 pointer. He can't do any worse than some of our other guys. From what I've seen we are not a very good 3 point shooting team. We are probably just average. So shoot it Dave you either hit it or you miss it. Go Duke!

Jeffrey
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi,

This poll is very interesting since most posters (up to this point) favor G and the poll results clearly favor Kyle.

In a game in which we clearly needed more offensive production, I voted for G and his 52.9% shooting over Kyle's 36.8% night. If a team shots 52.9% and plays G's level of D, then they may win every game. If a team shots 36.8% and plays Kyle's level of D, then they'll have many close games and lose some.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Magnolia888
01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I voted for Kyle because for a long stretch it seemed that his rebounding was the only thing keeping us alive in the game.

ACCBBallFan
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Outstanding effort by Kyle and G but don't overlook the hustle play Jon made to retrieve his miss near end of game. No way he should get that ball.

Sure Duke's other guys did not play as well, but give Wake some credit. Duke deserves credit too for several Wake guys not playing as well, including Teague where Nolan and Jon deserve some credit.

Rating Players
80 Kyle Singler, F
72 James Johnson, F
62 Al-Farouq Aminu, F
60 Gerald Henderson, G-F
53 TOTALS-Duke
53 Jon Scheyer, G
50 Jeff Teague, G
49 TOTALS-Wake
45 Ishmael Smith, G
43 David Weaver, F-C
40 Chas McFarland, C