PDA

View Full Version : Kyle vs. Tyler

taiw93
01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
First, let me preface this by saying that I hate Tyler Hansbrough. I hate how they talk about his "hustle" and, frankly, I hate everything about him. Nevertheless, I have the utmost respect for him, and would have loved to have him in a Duke uniform. I think that anyone who claims that they don't want him playing for Duke is either extremely biased, or just plain stupid.
That said, I am beginning to notice several similarities between Hansbrough, and our very own Kyle Singler. I know that they have different playing styles (Kyle is more of an inside-out type player, while Hans is strictly a low-post guy), and have different games. However, attitude-wise, they have a lot in common. They are both extremely tough, taking constant beatings down low and just shaking it off. Additionally, they both have that white-guy-who-isn't-too-athletic-but-hustles-his-butt-off-and-is-still-really-good image that opposing fans love to hate, and the media loves. Jay Bilas, member #1 of the Tyler Hansbrough fan club, is developing a very similar man-crush on Singler, praising his game, hustle, and attitude. I have even heard he and other ESPN personalities, esp. Bob Knight, talk about Singler as a major candidate for ACC POY.The bottom line is that, although they have several differences, Kyle and Tyler both have that hustle and grit that is easy to hate, but hard to disrespect.

jv001
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Kyle doesn't travel. Go Duke!

dcarp23
01-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Speaking of Hansbrough, I can't believe this link hasn't popped up yet: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/reillygofish

This may change, seeing as it is Rick Reilly's blog, so here is the relevant portion, which I thoroughly enjoyed:

"At the end of my interview with North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough in Chapel Hill recently, I threw out: "Is it true you freestyle?" And he said, "Yeah, you wanna hear one?" And then he delivered this, without a milliliter of gangster:

Give the ball to
The tower of power
Pass it back out
Watch my main man Bobby
Drain threes like
He's in the shower

(Unsolicited rapper name suggestion: T-Painful.)"

davekay1971
01-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm at a loss for words about Phunky T's rapping. Really? He did that? That's too good to be true. I can't believe he actually did that. "Tower of power"...and referencing his mini-me Bobby draining threes "like he's in the shower". What does that even mean? Who wrote his lyrics...K-Fed?!

As for Kyle vs. Tyler...about the only similarity is that both guys play with intensity. Oh yeah, and they're also both white.

However...
Kyle is far more athletic
Kyle can shoot from more than 2 feet from the basket and make it
Kyle is a better defender in the post
Kyle isn't goofy
Kyle is infinitely tougher than Hansbrough, who whines like a Tarhole
I would never ever ever want Hansbrough on my team (I don't think I'm stupid, though some may disagree, but I will admit to being very, very biased).

lmb
01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Give the ball to
The tower of power
Pass it back out
Watch my main man Bobby
Drain threes like
He's in the shower

Crazies - you know what to do!

BlueDevilBaby
01-28-2009, 02:56 PM
As for Kyle vs. Tyler...about the only similarity is that both guys play with intensity.

Agreed. Kyle also is much better looking than Beaker. Kyle's style is very different from Tyler's whose jump-into-the-defender-to-create-room-and-toss-up-a-prayer style is, IMO, just not going to work in the NBA. Nevertheless, I respect the manner in which both go after it each and every minute they are on the floor.

JDev
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Give the ball to
The tower of power
Pass it back out
Watch my main man Bobby
Drain threes like
He's in the shower

I shudder to think of what "drain threes like he's in the shower" could possibly mean.

elvis14
01-28-2009, 03:04 PM
First, let me preface this by saying that I hate Tyler Hansbrough. I hate how they talk about his "hustle" and, frankly, I hate everything about him. Nevertheless, I have the utmost respect for him, and would have loved to have him in a Duke uniform. I think that anyone who claims that they don't want him playing for Duke is either extremely biased, or just plain stupid.

I like Hansblahblah less than you. I don't want him playing for Duke and I'm happy he didn't come to Duke. I'm not stupid and if I'm biased.....GOOD my fandom is well placed. Way too many times on this board I've read about how much we would have loved Hansputz if he wore dark blue. Well, no, it's not a given that everyone would have loved that guy. 9F

Reddevil
01-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Vanilla T has wrecked this post! How can we even begin to seriously concentrate on a Singler/Hansblech comparison after seeing that? I was guilty of the occassional thought of how nice it would have been to see him in proper blue, but now I just - well thank you for forever for extinguishing that notion! Go Singler - Go Duke!

geraldsneighbor
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Does anyone else here think the whole Tyler "hustles" and "plays-harder" then any other kid in the nation is a bit racist? I mean just because hes white and looks awkward shooting and flails around doesn't mean other kids that are african-american don't hustle. It's like calling an african-american quarterback mobile and a white one a pocket-passer. I'm not saying the kid doesn't play hard, but it has that connotation.

taiw93
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I would never ever ever want Hansbrough on my team (I don't think I'm stupid, though some may disagree, but I will admit to being very, very biased).

I'm not stupid and if I'm biased.....GOOD my fandom is well placed.

You guys should take lessons in avoiding bias from Jay Bilas ;) But in all seriousness, I think that the connection between Kyle's and Tyler's win-at-all-costs attitude is undeniable. I understand hating Hans (trust me, I practically have a voodoo doll of the guy), but I don't understand lack of respect for his success. However, lack of respect for his rap skills is a whole 'nother story ;)

Ders24
01-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Speaking of Hansbrough, I can't believe this link hasn't popped up yet: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/reillygofish

This may change, seeing as it is Rick Reilly's blog, so here is the relevant portion, which I thoroughly enjoyed:

"At the end of my interview with North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough in Chapel Hill recently, I threw out: "Is it true you freestyle?" And he said, "Yeah, you wanna hear one?" And then he delivered this, without a milliliter of gangster:

Give the ball to
The tower of power
Pass it back out
Watch my main man Bobby
Drain threes like
He's in the shower

I've been trying to find that link. Thank you.

slower
01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Vanilla T

I think you may have hit upon an excellent new nickname.

JG Nothing
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Give the ball to
The tower of power
Pass it back out
Watch my main man Bobby
Drain threes like
He's in the shower

I've got a freestyle:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Tyler's freestyle sucks,
it really, really sucks.

rsvman
01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
They call me Psycho T
I come from Chapel Hell
And I pour in the points
Like I'm ringin' a bell

Who needs to bounce the ball?
I jus' shuffle my feet.
Though I'm really tall
I can't block like Thabeet.

They say I work real hard,
They talkin' lots a slop
It took me many years
To perfect my flop.

I'm gonna outscore JJ,
I think it's time;
Gonna do my damage
From the freethrow line.
We out......

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Does anyone else here think the whole Tyler "hustles" and "plays-harder" then any other kid in the nation is a bit racist? I mean just because hes white and looks awkward shooting and flails around doesn't mean other kids that are african-american don't hustle. It's like calling an african-american quarterback mobile and a white one a pocket-passer. I'm not saying the kid doesn't play hard, but it has that connotation.

Ah, the "tough white guy" syndrome. Mike Freeman had a great column (http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/10700001/1)about Tyler and the media regarding this issue and I think Whitlock did one as well.

We've talked about this issue before, and it crops up in a lot of recruiting discussion when the "we need more 'athletic' players" argument gets made. I think it's a real phenomenon in the media and among a lot of fans. Of course there's an argument that Duke is more affected by this issue than most since we have a reputation as "tough, scrappy, cerebral" and every other sports codeword for "white." That rep comes from the (assumed) character of the university and from several very high-profile white players (Laettner, Wojo, J.J., Paulus).

Ironically, while Tyler and (perhaps) Kyle seem to get an advantage in the media that an equally tough Af-Am player might not get, I think Duke as a program is hurt by the assumption. I think there are a lot of casual white fans who like Duke and praise us for producing kids who are "articulate" "classy" "not street" blah blah blah, and that makes me a bit uncomfortable. OTOH, there are a ton of folks who loathe Duke for not being "street" enough (whatever that means) and our rep as being soft, smarmy, goody-goody, etc is used to justify some really vile stuff said about K and the players.

I do think this perception is used by opposing coaches to make African-American recruits question whether they would feel comfortable at Duke. Indeed, we've lost a few recruits who commented that they didn't think they would "fit in." Obviously if there's any truth to that it's a major issue, but even the perception is troubling to me. Af-Am players like Tinkerbell, C-Well, Nate, and Dock should go a long way to dispelling that perception (and I think John Wall would be a major "statement recruit" in-state as well) but it's something Duke has to grapple with.

Chitowndevil
01-28-2009, 04:06 PM
My favorite Tyler Hansbrough stat:

TH currently leads the nation in fouls drawn per 40 minutes, with 9.2. For reference, Blake Griffin is 4th in the country with 8.2. Kyle is 233rd, with 5.3 fouls drawn/40 minutes.

Cell-R
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
They call me Psycho T
I come from Chapel Hell
And I pour in the points
Like I'm ringin' a bell

I jus' shuffle my feet.
Though I'm really tall

They talkin' lots a slop
It took me many years
To perfect my flop.

I'm gonna outscore JJ,
I think it's time;
Gonna do my damage
From the freethrow line.
We out......

Can we start a vote for post of the year yet?

FireOgilvie
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
As for Kyle vs. Tyler...about the only similarity is that both guys play with intensity. Oh yeah, and they're also both white.

However...
Kyle is far more athletic
Kyle can shoot from more than 2 feet from the basket and make it
Kyle is a better defender in the post
Kyle isn't goofy
Kyle is infinitely tougher than Hansbrough, who whines like a Tarhole

I really can't stand Hansbrough... but I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Three objections:

I wouldn't say Kyle is "far more athletic." I'd say it's a draw.
Hansbrough can shoot up to about 15 feet. Kyle can shoot up to about 22.
Kyle IS goofy. He's really goofy. I like him, but he's goofy.

davekay1971
01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
They call me Psycho T
I come from Chapel Hell
And I pour in the points
Like I'm ringin' a bell

I jus' shuffle my feet.
Though I'm really tall

They talkin' lots a slop
It took me many years
To perfect my flop.

I'm gonna outscore JJ,
I think it's time;
Gonna do my damage
From the freethrow line.
We out......

Laughing my butt off...

DevilcastDown: I was crafting an eloquent response to Geraldsneighbor until I read your response, which reduced me to merely saying "what he said."

davekay1971
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I really can't stand Hansbrough... but I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Three objections:

I wouldn't say Kyle is "far more athletic." I'd say it's a draw.
Hansbrough can shoot up to about 15 feet. Kyle can shoot up to about 22.

I would say Kyle is far more athletic. He has a solid first step, can take create good shots against good defenders on the dribble, makes strong cuts to the hoop, flushed the alley-oop from G nicely, etc. Hans is basically limited to muscling around the rim...once you get him out of that zone, he's pretty much lost.

I frequently hear the idea that Hans can shoot a mid range jumper. He tries it, and occassionally it goes in, but (just by my recollection) he isn't a reliable mid range shooter, particularly if he's defended in any way. All I know is, when he gets all set up to launch a shot from outside the lane, I smile.

Kyle may be goofy...but Hans takes goofy to another dimension. You have to admit it.

weezie
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Kyle IS goofy. He's really goofy.

Ah, but the ladies like a little goofy now and then....

And Kyle has a far and away more superior basketball mind than T-bangs.

FireOgilvie
01-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Kyle may be goofy...but Hans takes goofy to another dimension. You have to admit it.

I don't think so...

http://stormingthecourt.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/hansbrough.jpg

Okay... You're right.

whereinthehellami
01-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Game. Set. And match. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zna9Q5_Qufc&feature=related)

blueprofessor
01-28-2009, 05:14 PM
They call me Psycho T
I come from Chapel Hell
And I pour in the points
Like I'm ringin' a bell

I jus' shuffle my feet.
Though I'm really tall

They talkin' lots a slop
It took me many years
To perfect my flop.

I'm gonna outscore JJ,
I think it's time;
Gonna do my damage
From the freethrow line.
We out......
among the FSU students at the FSU-UNC game!They are not quite as obnoxious as Maryland fans,but they have a much better team.Hope they can turn Hans' cheeks crimson!
Many thanks and best regards,
Blueprofessor:):D:D

slower
01-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Kyle is COOL goofy. Hans is DORK goofy.

davekay1971
01-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Game. Set. And match. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zna9Q5_Qufc&feature=related)

That one is on my youtube favorites :D