PDA

View Full Version : Your Lawn

pamtar
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Pamtar Sr. and I have decided to go into the turf management business.

His landscaping company has been in operation for over 25 years but he has always 'subbed out' chemical/fertilizer spraying. Having just completed turf management training over at MooU in Raleigh, I am now the new turf manager for his company. We are a green company: strategy first, chemicals as a last resort.

So, with that in mind, I need you guys to help me practice! What better way to learn more? I would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions about turf grass. Weeds in your lawn, when to fertilize, how to mow, etc... You can send pics or just be really good at explaining ;) Keep in mind grass is regional so my expertise is limited to the southeast and northeast US.

PS - I'm going for the record for 'the most dull thread topics in one week.'

IamMatt'sUserName
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Our house is located in the Triangle, faces east (meaning it receives direct sunlight most of the day), and has an irrigation system.

In June 2007, our yard was sodded. It was a very dry summer, and the sod failed to take hold.

In September/October 2007, our yard was seeded and aerated. This also failed (no new growth), but the summer was much less harsh, in 2008.

In September/October 2008, our yard was seeded and aerated again, and there does not appear to be any new growth.

In conjunction with this most recent aeration, we also began having our yard treated with fertilizer and lime (thinking the pH is way off).

The problem is we're still not seeing any new growth (which could certainly be attributable to the time of year), and I'm concerned we won't see any this spring or summer (just like last year).

If I did not have a prepaid contract with our current lawn care service for the next year, I'd be happy to switch (assuming you service the Triangle area). I want a nice lawn! Just PM me.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
In September/October 2008, our yard was seeded and aerated again, and there does not appear to be any new growth.

Have you considered that it is WINTER? Most grass doesn't grow here in the winter. Wait till it warms up and stays warm. That might help! :rolleyes:

pamtar
01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Actually Ozzie, if he seeded with Tall Fescue, which I'm assuming he did, Sept/Oct is the perfect time as that variety is a 'cool season' grass. ;)

Indoor66
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Actually Ozzie, if he seeded with Tall Fescue, which I'm assuming he did, Sept/Oct is the perfect time as that variety is a 'cool season' grass. ;)

Sounds to me like a serious soils issue! :o Maybe a little more preparation would help.

CathyCA
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I think I might be in your territory, but for others here on the OTB, how far do you travel to provide landscaping and turf management services?

;)

pamtar
01-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Our house is located in the Triangle, faces east (meaning it receives direct sunlight most of the day), and has an irrigation system.

In June 2007, our yard was sodded. It was a very dry summer, and the sod failed to take hold.

In September/October 2007, our yard was seeded and aerated. This also failed (no new growth), but the summer was much less harsh, in 2008.

In conjunction with this most recent aeration, we also began having our yard treated with fertilizer and lime (thinking the pH is way off).

The problem is we're still not seeing any new growth (which could certainly be attributable to the time of year), and I'm concerned we won't see any this spring or summer (just like last year).

If I did not have a prepaid contract with our current lawn care service for the next year, I'd be happy to switch (assuming you service the Triangle area). I want a nice lawn! Just PM me.

First, in order to help further I need to know what type of grass you have and what type you've been overseeding with.

Second, you can go to the NC Cooperative Extension and get a soil test kit for free. Follow the directions to a tee and they'll send you a complete profile of your soil (again for free). Then you'll know what your pH is. Usually its fine in the triangle area and doesn't need liming. (Dont worry, you haven't hurt it.)

2535Miles
01-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I am looking for a hybrid, a cross of uhm Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. Can you help? :D

IamMatt'sUserName
01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Have you considered that it is WINTER? Most grass doesn't grow here in the winter. Wait till it warms up and stays warm. That might help! :rolleyes:

Comprehension much? :rolleyes:

That's why I said, "which could certainly be attributable to the time of year." (i.e., winter)

To pamtar's question, yes, it's Tall Fescue.

With past lawns, I've experienced new growth within a week of the fall seeding and aeration. That has not been the case with the past two efforts.

I'll check out the soil test kit.

pamtar
01-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I think I might be in your territory, but for others here on the OTB, how far do you travel to provide landscaping and turf management services?

;)

I don't know what DBR's policy is, but I didn't post this thread with the thought of getting new clients. Actually, a lot of turf management can be DIY. Its just hard to get the facts straight sometimes.

To answer your question though, we go as far as we need to make money! :D Usually not much more than a couple hours driving time from G-ville.

CathyCA
01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't know what DBR's policy is, but I didn't post this thread with the thought of getting new clients. Actually, a lot of turf management can be DIY. Its just hard to get the facts straight sometimes.

To answer your question though, we go as far as we need to make money! :D Usually not much more than a couple hours driving time from G-ville.

I don't own a house here yet, but when I do, I know I'll be calling on you. Almost every lawn in this town has random bare sandy spots where nothing grows. I don't understand it, and I've never seen anything quite like it, but I'm certain I'll have that problem when I become a landowner again.

You should have no problem staying busy right here in the Emerald City.

pamtar
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM

That's why I said, "which could certainly be attributable to the time of year." (i.e., winter)

To pamtar's question, yes, it's Tall Fescue.

With past lawns, I've experienced new growth within a week of the fall seeding and aeration. That has not been the case with the past two efforts.

I'll check out the soil test kit.

It sounds like a soil issue. However, it could be a mowing problem too. Do you know at what height it's being mowed?

If it is a soil issue, topdressing and fertilization may solve your problems. You'll have to wait on the soil test results to know for sure. They usually take a couple of weeks. The NCCE Office is here (http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/map.php?co=wake&co_id=92&ind=0&bubble=Wake+County%26nbsp%3BCenter%3Cbr+%2F%3E4001-E+Carya+Dr%3Cbr+%2F%3ERaleigh%2C+NC+27610-2914).

OZZIE4DUKE
01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Yo comprendo just fine! I was being a little tongue in cheek, ya know! Hence the rolling eyes above. :D

IamMatt'sUserName
01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Yo comprendo just fine! I was being a little tongue in cheek, ya know! Hence the rolling eyes above. :D

Apologies, I thought you were rolling eyes because you thought I expected the grass miraculously grow in the winter.

To pamtar, I would guess it's cut at 3-4 inches (I don't recall the exact length - definitely not too short).

I'm looking for density more than anything, as it seems a bit patchy. Would seeding this spring help?

If so, what would be a good month (i.e., is there a point when it's too early or too late)?

Is there a brand you recommend?

Thanks again for offering your professional advice.

dukepsy1963
01-28-2009, 03:43 PM
No lawn here, just woods. I like it that way.

pamtar
01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Apologies, I thought you were rolling eyes because you thought I expected the grass miraculously grow in the winter.

To pamtar, I would guess it's cut at 3-4 inches (I don't recall the exact length - definitely not too short).

I'm looking for density more than anything, as it seems a bit patchy. Would seeding this spring help?

If so, what would be a good month (i.e., is there a point when it's too early or too late)?

Is there a brand you recommend?

Thanks again for offering your professional advice.

Spring isn't the best time to seen Fescue but it can be done. I'm sure you are aware that fescue has to be seeded or sodded, it cant spread laterally. Therefor filling patches can be a pain.

As for brand of seed I'd go with Scotts or Pennington. Premium seed really makes a difference.

PM me some pics if you'd like. One from a side view standing, and one from directly above. As they say, a pic says a thousand words.