PDA

View Full Version : Yard Barker

DBFAN
01-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I know this has been brought up already, but is DBR going to continue to let Yard Barker advertise on here. I looked today and almost everything on there is taking a jab at Duke. What Gives?

Billy Dat
01-27-2009, 01:59 PM
There are a couple of ways to look at this issue, and I'll likely miss a few, too:

-The site is wonderfully managed free of charge to the users. Under the "there's no free lunch" axiom, they have to pay the rent somehow and YardBarker is able to buy ads in a tough economic climate. If you want the service gratis, these are the sacrifices that must be made.

-Again, citing the economic climate, people have less discrentionary income to spend on subsription-based services. I'd pay for this service, but how many others would and would that threaten the vibrancy and diversity of the community?

-Freedom of speech is important, and who cares what people say anyway? The real talking is done by the players and coaches involved in the games via on court and on bench performance.

-If economics is driving the decision, then economics will determine it's future course. YardBarker will only continue to advertise if they calculate a positive ROI.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I know this has been brought up already, but is DBR going to continue to let Yard Barker advertise on here. I looked today and almost everything on there is taking a jab at Duke. What Gives?
I say look the other way. This is a case where freedom of speech pays for freedom to post free.

DukieInKansas
01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Are the negative Duke items showing on the DBR page or when you go to Yard Barker?

I haven't seen the article titles that appear to be negative Duke on the DBR page ad in quite a while. Is it just good timing on my part?

What is the picture supposed to be on the Yard Barker yellow shirts? It makes me think of two pilgrims with guns but I'm sure that's not what it's supposed to be.

ArnieMc
01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
What is the picture supposed to be on the Yard Barker yellow shirts? It makes me think of two pilgrims with guns but I'm sure that's not what it's supposed to be.It looks like the Blues Brothers with baseball bats. They say it's a mix of pop culture and sports so it could be.

ricks68
01-28-2009, 01:42 AM
I say that we all go to the Yard Barker site from the DBR links on a regular basis to ensure that they stay on the DBR site. In that way, we can keep up the income to help support DBR by registering a lot of hits that are actually worthless to them. :p

ricks