PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Capel

ChicagoCrazy84
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Just watching this guy on the sidelines during games and noticing what he has done as a head coach in the short time he has been in that position is incredible. Jeff Capel has already established himself as a great coach, leading a very good Oklahoma team to a #5 ranking. This guy can recruit and you look at the players during timeouts and you look at Capel talking to his team, he demands respect from his players, and he gets it from them. I truly believe that when Coach K's tenure is done at Duke (hopefully later rather than sooner) they should seek out Jeff Capel as a possible replacement rather than hand it to Wojo or Chris Collins. That would ensure that this program would not miss a beat after he leaves.

RainingThrees
01-26-2009, 11:29 PM
You forgot Jonnhy Dawkins. I think it will come down to either Capel or Dawkins. Dawkins is the favorite now I think because he sat next to K for so many years. But if Stanford doesn't work out I gota believe that Capel will be the man.

duketaylor
01-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Johnny Dawkins is at the top of the list for K's replacement. I will say Jeff Capel has been extremely impressive; he left VCU with lots of alums who loved everything about him, except the departure, of course.

FireOgilvie
01-26-2009, 11:42 PM
We'll see how Capel does at OU after Griffin leaves... he's a beast. Today he had 26 points, 19 rebounds on 9-11 shooting.

diesel
01-27-2009, 05:02 AM
I was glad to see this thread. I have been frankly surprised at how little attention one of ours, Jefff Capel, has received in view of his winning ways at Oklahoma.

Indeed in our endless fascination with and introspection with respect to comparative rankings, both of the Blue Devils and the ACC as a conference, I can't recall one extended examination of this year's performance of Oklahoma.

yancem
01-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Just watching this guy on the sidelines during games and noticing what he has done as a head coach in the short time he has been in that position is incredible. Jeff Capel has already established himself as a great coach, leading a very good Oklahoma team to a #5 ranking. This guy can recruit and you look at the players during timeouts and you look at Capel talking to his team, he demands respect from his players, and he gets it from them. I truly believe that when Coach K's tenure is done at Duke (hopefully later rather than sooner) they should seek out Jeff Capel as a possible replacement rather than hand it to Wojo or Chris Collins. That would ensure that this program would not miss a beat after he leaves.

I certainly agree that Capel should get a lot of consideration when K decides it's time to pack it in, but it will probably come down to when that is. Don't forget that Dawkins is doing pretty well in his first season with Stanford. Also, if K decides to coach for another decade, we could see Wojo or Collins staring at another university by then. I just hope that Capel and Dawkins continue to do very well and that Wojo and Collins succeed when there opportunities come to be head coaches. It would be nice to have several great coaching options from the K tree. That way if we run into a O'Roy type of situation, we have a better backup plan that Doh!

jv001
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Johnny Dawkins or Jeff Capel. Couldn't go wrong either way. But that's a few years and many wins down the road. Go Duke!

delfrio
01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Do you think Jeff would take the job? I'm sure he loves the place, but he didn't always get a lot of love when he was at Duke (the terrible boo-ing incident). Hopefully he's put that behind him. I'm assuming if Coach nominated him, he'd have to say yes.

billybreen
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Jeff was a senior when I was a freshman, so it's been very cool watching his quick ascendancy among the coaching ranks. Now, whether he can sustain this level of success is an open question.

monkey
01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I certainly agree that Capel should get a lot of consideration when K decides it's time to pack it in, but it will probably come down to when that is. Don't forget that Dawkins is doing pretty well in his first season with Stanford. Also, if K decides to coach for another decade, we could see Wojo or Collins staring at another university by then. I just hope that Capel and Dawkins continue to do very well and that Wojo and Collins succeed when there opportunities come to be head coaches. It would be nice to have several great coaching options from the K tree. That way if we run into a O'Roy type of situation, we have a better backup plan that Doh!

I think it will definitely come down to Snyder or Amaker [/channelling the early part of this decade]

duketaylor
01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
No way it will be Quin, Tommy, outside chance, at best.

6th Man
01-27-2009, 01:38 PM
What is Pete Gaudet doing these days? He's got Duke coaching experience. :D:D:D

Just kidding folks....

BD80
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I think it will be Greg Paulus, even though he will be one of the older candidates at age 42. Coach K will choose to retire after having Shelden Williams Jr leading the devils to a third consecutive championship before graduating as a junior.

g_olaf
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I was glad to see this thread. I have been frankly surprised at how little attention one of ours, Jefff Capel, has received in view of his winning ways at Oklahoma.

Indeed in our endless fascination with and introspection with respect to comparative rankings, both of the Blue Devils and the ACC as a conference, I can't recall one extended examination of this year's performance of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma ranked in the top 5 raises a curious question, to which I don't know the answer...

How many ex-Duke coaches have had a team ranked higher than the Blue Devils? For example, at any time this season was Oklahoma ranked higher than Duke?

I assume that Quinn Snyder's Missouri team might have been ranked above Duke during one of his seasons. Not sure about Tommy at Michigan.

billybreen
01-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Oklahoma ranked in the top 5 raises a curious question, to which I don't know the answer...

How many ex-Duke coaches have had a team ranked higher than the Blue Devils? For example, at any time this season was Oklahoma ranked higher than Duke?

I assume that Quinn Snyder's Missouri team might have been ranked above Duke during one of his seasons. Not sure about Tommy at Michigan.

I believe they were ranked higher than us after the Michigan loss when they were still undefeated.

whereinthehellami
01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
In my opinion, Duke will be in an impossible postition when Coach K retires. I'm not sure it matters who they bring in, as their job will be an uphill climb to maintain the status quo. I'm not sure alot of coaches will want to jump into the "Duke" situation, a small private school with alot of expectations.

JDev
01-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Either Dawkins or Capel would be great fits, assuming they can continue their current success at their respective universities. They both have Northern VA, DC connections, which would be very valuable at Duke. There are a lot of quality players there, as Duke's 2010 class will atttest. That is one of the reasons Capel's name is being thrown around as someone Maryland should look at, should they choose to fire Gary Williams. I really hope that doesn't come to fruition. I would hate to watch Duke play Capel twice a year. If they do offer Capel eventually, the decision won't be about money, because Oklahoma would probably win a bidding war. Hopefully the only job he would leave Oklahoma for would be Duke.

weezie
01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I think it will be Greg Paulus

Take it to the bank :)

davekay1971
01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
In my opinion, Duke will be in an impossible postition when Coach K retires. I'm not sure it matters who they bring in, as their job will be an uphill climb to maintain the status quo. I'm not sure alot of coaches will want to jump into the "Duke" situation, a small private school with alot of expectations.

Maybe Coach K will do like Dean Machiavelli...set up one of the family (Matty Doh) as a patsy to take over a program with huge expectations but a bare cupboard talent-wise, to allow the true intended heir (Ol' Roy) to step in as a savior. ie: Quin Snyder better not pick up the phone if Jeff Capel has just said "I don't give a sh** about Duke right now" and the caller ID reads "Coach K"...:cool:

Oriole Way
01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I would much prefer Jeff Capel to Johnny Dawkins.

Capel is a proven winner at both a small school with limited exposure and a large public school in a major conference. He has shown an ability to recruit well and his allure as a coach from the perspective of elite recruits is increasing by the day.

Before I get criticized for what I am about to say, I will qualify my statement by basing it off of many articles, opinions from players, and what I have observed of Dawkins from his time at Duke. I really don't think Dawkins has the personality to be the recruiter we need to be the next head coach after K. He's more of speak softly and carry a big-stick type, which may work at a school like Stanford, but not in getting the student athletes we want against the likes of Roy Williams and Billy Donovan. I'm sure Dawkins can be fiery and outspoken at times, and I'm also sure that behind the scenes he is different from the stoic, steadfast persona we have seen sit next to K for so many years. He is a great coach who commands respect, but based on what many of our players have said about him (everything they've said being laudatory), I believe he is too reserved to be an elite recruiter.

Also, we may never know how effective Dawkins is as a recruiter because Stanford's admissions standards are so restrictive. Capel, on the other hand, is a proven commodity.

Recruiting is not the only factor in determining a good head coach, but when it comes to Coach K's successor, it will be the single most important quality, because I anticipate that everyone who will be considered for the job will be well-qualified from the X's and O's standpoint. Obviously, someone like Matt Doherty was a great recruiter but a terrible coach. But Capel represents the total package, and he has strong ties to the university. Just my opinion, which means nothing.

Ignatius07
01-27-2009, 05:20 PM
We'll see how Capel does at OU after Griffin leaves... he's a beast. Today he had 26 points, 19 rebounds on 9-11 shooting.

I can't believe more people aren't talking about the Blake Griffin angle to this. We can acknowledge that Capel did a great job at VCU (though he was only there four years), but if, God forbid, the head coaching position at Duke became vacant this season, I wouldn't exactly be chomping at the bit to get Capel. Not to say he'd be a bad decision - just that I don't think it should be a two- or one-horse race.

Blake Griffin is an absolute beast whom Capel recruited... but he's from Oklahoma and his brother was already on the team when Capel got there. Oklahoma's point guard, Austin Johnson, who has been playing well lately, was also already on the team. Now, true, Capel still deserves some credit for landing the younger Griffin and stud freshman Willie Warren, and for getting the team to play as a unit. But I'm much more interested to see how Oklahoma does after Griffin (who basically felt into Capel's lap) bolts - possibly next season, when Taylor Griffin and Austin Johnson will be gone as well - than right now.

Indoor66
01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I can't believe more people aren't talking about the Blake Griffin angle to this. We can acknowledge that Capel did a great job at VCU (though he was only there four years), but if, God forbid, the head coaching position at Duke became vacant this season, I wouldn't exactly be chomping at the bit to get Capel. Not to say he'd be a bad decision - just that I don't think it should be a two- or one-horse race.

Blake Griffin is an absolute beast whom Capel recruited... but he's from Oklahoma and his brother was already on the team when Capel got there. Oklahoma's point guard, Austin Johnson, who has been playing well lately, was also already on the team. Now, true, Capel still deserves some credit for landing the younger Griffin and stud freshman Willie Warren, and for getting the team to play as a unit. But I'm much more interested to see how Oklahoma does after Griffin (who basically felt into Capel's lap) bolts - possibly next season, when Taylor Griffin and Austin Johnson will be gone as well - than right now.

That same logic applies to Dawkins and Stanford. All his winning is with someone else's players. In addition, Dawkins has no track record as a head coach, as opposed to Capel who has 7 years +.

Ignatius07
01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
That same logic applies to Dawkins and Stanford. All his winning is with someone else's players. In addition, Dawkins has no track record as a head coach, as opposed to Capel who has 7 years +.

Exactly. I'm definitely not a Dawkins supporter - at least in terms of for a head coaching position at Duke. If the position became vacant this season, I think Duke would need to look at many non-Duke-affiliated people because Dawkins and Capel don't have a sufficient track record yet.

Oriole Way
01-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Exactly. I'm definitely not a Dawkins supporter - at least in terms of for a head coaching position at Duke. If the position became vacant this season, I think Duke would need to look at many non-Duke-affiliated people because Dawkins and Capel don't have a sufficient track record yet.

I wouldn't lump Dawkins and Capel in the same category of insufficient head coaching track record. Capel has a substantial track record, Dawkins does not. Granted, Capel is still young, but you have an idea of what you're getting into.

Indoor66
01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't lump Dawkins and Capel in the same category of insufficient head coaching track record. Capel has a substantial track record, Dawkins does not. Granted, Capel is still young, but you have an idea of what you're getting into.

K (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski) had 5 years headcoaching experience (at Army) before coming to Duke at age 32. Capel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Capel_III) is currently 34 years old and has 7+ years as a head coach at Va Commonwealth and Oklahoma.

yancem
01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
I would much prefer Jeff Capel to Johnny Dawkins.

Capel is a proven winner at both a small school with limited exposure and a large public school in a major conference. He has shown an ability to recruit well and his allure as a coach from the perspective of elite recruits is increasing by the day.

Before I get criticized for what I am about to say, I will qualify my statement by basing it off of many articles, opinions from players, and what I have observed of Dawkins from his time at Duke. I really don't think Dawkins has the personality to be the recruiter we need to be the next head coach after K. He's more of speak softly and carry a big-stick type, which may work at a school like Stanford, but not in getting the student athletes we want against the likes of Roy Williams and Billy Donovan. I'm sure Dawkins can be fiery and outspoken at times, and I'm also sure that behind the scenes he is different from the stoic, steadfast persona we have seen sit next to K for so many years. He is a great coach who commands respect, but based on what many of our players have said about him (everything they've said being laudatory), I believe he is too reserved to be an elite recruiter.

Also, we may never know how effective Dawkins is as a recruiter because Stanford's admissions standards are so restrictive. Capel, on the other hand, is a proven commodity.

Recruiting is not the only factor in determining a good head coach, but when it comes to Coach K's successor, it will be the single most important quality, because I anticipate that everyone who will be considered for the job will be well-qualified from the X's and O's standpoint. Obviously, someone like Matt Doherty was a great recruiter but a terrible coach. But Capel represents the total package, and he has strong ties to the university. Just my opinion, which means nothing.

I look at Dawkins from a slightly different angle, age. From what we have heard from Duke and K, we may not be need to worry about a new coach for 5+ years. Dawkins graduated in '86 which put him at about 45 years old. If K sticks around for another 10 years (maybe not too likely but possible) that would mean Dawkins would be about 55 when he took over the program. At that age he could certainly coach for 10 plus years but I would rather have a younger coach come in that might stick around for 20+ years.

This is where UNC might have issues. O'Roy is only 2-3 years younger than K so they will most likely be looking for a new coach again about the time K retires and I'm not sure how many branches on Dean's tree will be young enough to hire. Of course they got at least 1 NC and another F4 out of Roy so the decision worked out pretty well. I just wouldn't want to be sweating out a new coach as often or so soon.

yancem
01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
K (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski) had 5 years headcoaching experience (at Army) before coming to Duke at age 32. Capel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Capel_III) is currently 34 years old and has 7+ years as a head coach at Va Commonwealth and Oklahoma.

Also, Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers was only 34-35 when he was hired as the head coach. At that point he had zero head coaching experience but I figure he's doing all right!

Ignatius07
01-28-2009, 12:29 PM

I think using Coach K as an example is a little ridiculous. You are talking about one of the greatest and most successful coaches ever who came out of almost complete obscurity. I'd say relying on his example in picking a new coach would be foolhardy. Sure we might strike gold again but why risk it?

And I see your point, that Capel would be less risky than hiring K was. But Duke is a very different program than it was in the early 1980s. We can't afford (or are good enough that we don't need to consider) hiring somebody who doesn't have a completely proven track record. The sort of hire Duke would need to make would be similar to when UNC got Roy Williams. They didn't hire somebody who was potentially a flash in a pan, but instead got somebody who had proven over a long period of time that he had had success at a very high level.

Indoor66
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I think using Coach K as an example is a little ridiculous. You are talking about one of the greatest and most successful coaches ever who came out of almost complete obscurity. I'd say relying on his example in picking a new coach would be foolhardy. Sure we might strike gold again but why risk it?

And I see your point, that Capel would be less risky than hiring K was. But Duke is a very different program than it was in the early 1980s. We can't afford (or are good enough that we don't need to consider) hiring somebody who doesn't have a completely proven track record. The sort of hire Duke would need to make would be similar to when UNC got Roy Williams. They didn't hire somebody who was potentially a flash in a pan, but instead got somebody who had proven over a long period of time that he had had success at a very high level.

I don't disagree with what you have posted. My comments were relative to the idea of Johnny Dawkins coaching at Duke as a successor to K.

allenmurray
01-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Gary williams may be available. :eek: :eek: :eek:

jv001
01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Both Capel and Dawkins will have plenty of experience by the time Coach K retires. We can see their track record of recruiting their own players and how they coach them. The timing should be perfect. However I hate to see that day come. Go Coach K and Go Duke!