PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Drew - Steven Adler

EarlJam
01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Anyone else watching this series? It is quite interesting to me, EarlJam, as I was a huge G&R fan growing up. Also, I think Adler is a really good guy. It's so easy to say, "Straighten Up," but he learned to cope with life difficulties in just the wrong way and took it to the extreme. Now he has tremendous physical and mental addicitions to deal with.

I wish him well.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else watched this show (SafeHouse).

-EarlJam

BlueDevilJay
01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I watched the show that lead into this one, but haven't seen SafeHouse yet. I heard about it and wanted to catch it, but missed the first episode apparently. Having fought an addiction myself before, I can relate with some of them, and it's interesting to see how they handle recovery or not.

Misunderestimated
01-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I can't say I'm watching the series, but I almost always check out this show when scrolling through the guide. I think we're talking about the same show....it seems Adler has been fumbling around on a rehabilitation show(s) for a while now. In any event, I agree with you. For some reason, I'm pulling for the guy and hope that he pulls through and keeps his addictions at bay, but he has clearly pushed his mind and body to the edge.

sue71, esq
01-27-2009, 01:21 AM
I caught the most recent episode- part of it at least. It's really, really sad. And scary. I hope he's ok.

gadzooks
01-27-2009, 03:08 PM
I have such mixed feelings about this show (the title is Sober House, FTR, in case anybody is looking for it in their listings). I was riveted to Celebrity Rehab, because of my own experience in rehab, but this show so far is just deeply disturbing because Adler is so horribly off the rails, and it's being handled so badly. The "house mom" really isn't very good at confrontation, and I really feel that they should have sent him to detox the minute he showed up high, or at least for the second incident--I haven't yet seen the aftermath of the 911 call, so it's possible that the cops were needed to involuntarily commit him, or intended to do that, I don't know. Addicts have to want to get clean, and he has to face the consequences of his using, but that s**t is so deadly, ugh. :(

jimbonelson
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I have such mixed feelings about this show (the title is Sober House, FTR, in case anybody is looking for it in their listings). I was riveted to Celebrity Rehab, because of my own experience in rehab, but this show so far is just deeply disturbing because Adler is so horribly off the rails, and it's being handled so badly. The "house mom" really isn't very good at confrontation, and I really feel that they should have sent him to detox the minute he showed up high, or at least for the second incident--I haven't yet seen the aftermath of the 911 call, so it's possible that the cops were needed to involuntarily commit him, or intended to do that, I don't know. Addicts have to want to get clean, and he has to face the consequences of his using, but that s**t is so deadly, ugh. :(

if they sent him to detox, that would make for horrible tv

gadzooks
01-28-2009, 12:57 AM
if they sent him to detox, that would make for horrible tvNot necessarily. Dr. Drew sent Jeff Conaway to the hospital at least once during Celebrity Rehab to detox. People being strung out on heroin isn't particularly interesting, IMO, it's when they're trying to stay sober and working through their stuff that the real drama starts. OK, Shifty being up on the roof smoking crack was interesting in that train-wrecky way, but too much of that and it just becomes watching somebody die, which is truly horrible TV.