PDA

View Full Version : WBB Duke vs. GT

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Should be another good game, televised on FoxSports. Tech just beat UNC, so Duke should know it will be a contested game. Good luck ladies, GO DUKE!

Also they are honoring the 1999 team today.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Duke's defense was dominating, Georgia Tech never had a chance to get in it. They had one nice run in the second half, but were too far behind to be a threat. Duke's offense was not there, but still posted 60 points. Abby had a great day, scoring and defending. She makes good things happen. Odd that on a bad team day offensively, she has one of her best ones.
The crowd looked impressive, keep the wins coming ladies! GO DUKE!

miramar
01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Well, I didn't expect better first-half defense than the men, who only gave up 15 yesterday, but the women gave up 13. Duke only scored 60, but they shot 50% on three pointers and 50% overall (on 36 shots, which must be a season low) and 79% on FTs.

Carolina doesn't seem to be as good as everyone thought, and Maryland and Tennessee are down this year, so things may be moving WBB's way.

dukelifer
01-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, I didn't expect better first-half defense than the men, who only gave up 15 yesterday, but the women gave up 13. Duke only scored 60, but they shot 50% on three pointers and 50% overall (on 36 shots, which must be a season low) and 79% on FTs.

Carolina doesn't seem to be as good as everyone thought, and Maryland and Tennessee are down this year, so things may be moving WBB's way.
Very good game by Waner. She looked more relaxed today and it showed in her shooting. She also did not force her passes as much. This Duke team can play defense. They really contest every shot. If their shooting continues to improve, they could make a deep post season run.

UncleBill
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I thought today I would begin to understand how Tech beat Kerolina last week (earlier this week). I am still befuddled.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I thought today I would begin to understand how Tech beat Kerolina last week (earlier this week). I am still befuddled.
We will get a better idea tonight, when UNC goes against Md, a team we played and beat, but not well. We have improved since the Maryland game, and we have to play both teams again. Definitely one to watch.

gadzooks
01-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Nice block, Abby! :D

We will get a better idea tonight, when UNC goes against Md, a team we played and beat, but not well. We have improved since the Maryland game, and we have to play both teams again. Definitely one to watch.Yeah, that will be an interesting game; the TiVo is rolling as we speak.

jjasper0729
01-25-2009, 08:29 PM
well while we didn't get a good judge of GT from this game after their big upset earlier in the week... we can see that thta loss is affecting the babies in puke blue up at college park... still too early to write it off, but they are behind by 8 with 11:54 to go in the game

JG Nothing
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM

From the DWHoops season preview:
"For Duke, the window is open in 2008-09. If last year was about the way circumstance, bad luck and injuries slowed the development of the team, this season could be about the way the ACC and the nation are shaping up to help Duke have a great year. With three productive seniors, a great deal of depth, quickness at every position and a year's adjustment for coaches and players to a new way of doing things, the Devils might not have a better chance of winning the ACC and going to the Final Four for quite some time [bold added]."
http://www.dwhoops.com/Duke/0811120-0809-Season-Preview.php

DukePA
01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
The lady turtles just beat the lady holes!!! What a great basketball weekend!

jjasper0729
01-25-2009, 09:20 PM

While it was great, it would have been better if the meteor for this game tonight could have been an option ;)

burnspbesq
01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Through 18 games, Duke's opponents have an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.42.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2009, 10:33 PM
That was not the same Maryland team that we beat. I'd like to think our defense is a huge reason why. Toliver was on fire tonight, loved seeing Sylvia get T'd up also. I bet UNC drops to about 12th, maybe lower.

devildeac
01-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Attended the WBB game today. Amazing D. I saw C-well watching in the 1st half but did not get to harass him about how the women played better D than the men:rolleyes:;). I did not check the stats to see how poorly GT handled the ball and how many TO they had. How in the heck did they beat the 'holes? Chante missed a double/double based on scoreboard stats. Abby still threw some really bad passes but had a nice game overall with a couple laser-like assists. Still too dang many TO for us.

burnspbesq
01-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Attended the WBB game today. Amazing D. I saw C-well watching in the 1st half but did not get to harass him about how the women played better D than the men:rolleyes:;). I did not check the stats to see how poorly GT handled the ball and how many TO they had. How in the heck did they beat the 'holes? Chante missed a double/double based on scoreboard stats. Abby still threw some really bad passes but had a nice game overall with a couple laser-like assists. Still too dang many TO for us.

Box score says GT had 26 turnovers to our 24. But we were plus-21 in points off turnovers, in a game we won by 26. We seem to be able to limit the damage caused by our turnovers.

First time all season we've shot 50 percent or better from the field. That was nice to see.

Jim3k
01-26-2009, 04:26 AM
And in this game Chelsea Regins, a GT freshman, may have established herself as a punk, by intentionally throwing an elbow at Chante -- resulting in the appropriate foul call. My tivo replay suggests that Regins took special aim at Black in the play. Regins was also involved in the play that got her teammate Alex Montgomery called for technical.

I hope this kid learned something today, but we need to keep a watch out for her.

Edit: Wow. First Alaa, Now Chris Redding!

jjasper0729
01-26-2009, 11:32 AM
just imagine how much better they would look if they weren't averaging so many turnovers a game... potentially more points... always welcome

MHTorringjan
01-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I loves me some women's team, as most people could probably guess from my posts in the past, and the defense they showed in this game was some of the more impressive work I've seen them give most of the season (except probably the Maine game, which was just a clilnic).

Jasmine played really well, and that's about the best game I've seen Abby have that I can remember in a while. Chante wasn't as effective as she's been at other times in the season, but she did what we needed her to. Carrem played very well on the defensive end, and her offense seems to be coming along, same as everyone else's. Karima played a very heady game, even if it didn't translate into a bucketload of points. I just realized how good of a ball-handler she was yesterday when she was dribbling between the GT players on the press.

I was really pleased with the game, even if I didn't get my usual seat to cheer from. :-) The student population was decent, and the crowd overall was pretty darned good (although I was surprised at the number of groups at this particular game). Cheering might have been okay, it was difficult to tell from where I was sitting.

My main complaint is pretty much the same one that I've had most of the season, the turnovers. We're doing a fantastic job forcing them, but we have to take better care of the ball. The shooting percentage for this past game is really great, but it doesn't mean much if you cough the ball up almost as often as you shoot it. And I promise you, the Holes are going to capitalize. They're going to be angry the rest of this season, and that includes both times they still have to play us.

Anyway, that negativity out of the way, I hope that the freshmen get better soon! It's a shame to see their seasons plagued with injuries and illnesses! I want both of them to get back and back to speed as soon as they can (Chelsea and Katherine; Shay's still healthy and playing awesome despite the lack of scoring in this game).

roywhite
01-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Men's team: 18-1 5-0 ACC great defense veteran team, not getting much scoring from 3 frosh

Women's team: 17-1 5-0 ACC great defense veteran team, not getting much scoring from 3 frosh

What a school for hoops!