PDA

View Full Version : "Doug McClure"... DBR... C'mon!

Lulu
01-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Please fix "typo" in main article. Then please delete this post so he never knows...

That said, I was going to post the same feeling stated in the opening about almost feeling bad for Maryland. Before the game, I was posting here that I wanted us to hand them their most embarrassing loss in history. As I watched this almost come true, at least in terms of recent history, I was seriously feeling bad for them. I couldn't believe it. But then I'd think of their fans and all that guilt would just slip away.

CameronCrazy'11
01-25-2009, 03:41 AM
I guess he plays with Greg Zoubek and Marty Czyz

slower
01-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Please fix "typo" in main article. Then please delete this post so he never knows...

Doug died in 1995, so he'll never find out. :D

Faison1
01-25-2009, 08:17 AM
After all the grief people catch for misspelling "Shelden/Sheldon", "DeMarcus/Demarcus", etc, you'd think the flagship of DBR would notice something as wrong as Doug McClure.......to quote from above, C'MON!!!!! Doug McClure?!?!?! DOUG McClure?!?! Did we have a guest writing the column this week?

Cameron
01-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Jeez, I thought Duke fans knew how to spell four letter words better than that!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I assume the typo will be changed, David deserves it in front-page material. But I hope it will remind everyone how easy it is to make a silly typo. Next time someone types "Sheldon" or "Reddick", let's have a chuckle and then move on, rather than getting on a high horse and pounding the poor poster into oblivion. In the great words of William Murderface's belly tattoo: "Pobody's Nerfect."

buddy
01-25-2009, 09:57 AM
. . . since when is 56 rebounds 22 more than 38 rebounds? Can't spell, can't subtract--was this article written by a Maryland grad?

Lord Ash
01-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Actually, it was just an homage to Mike Patrick. Well played, DBR!

weegipup
01-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi, I'm Doug McClure.

You may remember me from . . .

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi, I'm Doug McClure.

You may remember me from . . .

Troy bien!
http://facilprogramacion.es/simpsons/images/troi.jpg

davekay1971
01-25-2009, 12:14 PM
. . . since when is 56 rebounds 22 more than 38 rebounds? Can't spell, can't subtract--was this article written by a Maryland grad?

"Legally, you're a midget in 34 states."

"Yeah, but I'm normal in the other 34...24...22."

Ocean's 13

As for the front page article, funny gaffe given the amount of crap given around here for the crime of posting about "John Sheyer". I'm sure Douggie and Coach Schushefsky will laugh off the error.

Jumbo
01-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I assume the typo will be changed, David deserves it in front-page material. But I hope it will remind everyone how easy it is to make a silly typo. Next time someone types "Sheldon" or "Reddick", let's have a chuckle and then move on, rather than getting on a high horse and pounding the poor poster into oblivion. In the great words of William Murderface's belly tattoo: "Pobody's Nerfect."

"DBR" is a different entity from the board's moderators (a lot of people don't seem to understand that). Therefore, I reserve the full right to jump on people for being unable to spell a player's name. ;)

rockymtn devil
01-25-2009, 02:09 PM
As for the front page article, funny gaffe given the amount of crap given around here for the crime of posting about "John Sheyer". I'm sure Douggie and Coach Schushefsky will laugh off the error.

The real beauty is that, despite its own errors in writing about the Maryland game (math and name recognition) the DBR has a post today calling out the Washington Post for misspelling the name of a certain Durham restaurant. Pot, meet kettle.

tbyers11
01-25-2009, 03:05 PM
The real beauty is that, despite its own errors in writing about the Maryland game (math and name recognition) the DBR has a post today calling out the Washington Post for misspelling the name of a certain Durham restaurant. Pot, meet kettle.

The timing of the call out is amusing, but I'm willing to cut Julio and Boswell some slack as writing these recaps is a hobby for them. The Washington Post has writers and editors that get paid to do this and should be held to a higher standard.

Or did the Post have to get rid of its copy editors in the latest round of newspaper budget cuts? ;)

watzone
01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Nobody is above an occasionbal bout of mind wind. "Don't worry, it happens all the time," said Dave McClure after I called him Doug three years ago during a chat. I felt foolish, but he didn't bat an eye.

ChrisP
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I see my post from earlier was removed. I realize it's the mods' right to do what they want, but it's kinda sad that people are so sensitive here that one cannot even ask a legit question. Geez...

Stray Gator
01-25-2009, 03:59 PM

No one asked me, but feel obliged to respond to this post. While the distinction may be of little import to some, writers for the Washington Post are professional journalists. Expending the time and attention required to proofread the articles their employer will publish and eliminate mistakes is part of their job. I expect they understand and accept that errors in their work are fair subject for criticism.

Julio and Boswell would be the first to admit that they are not professional journalists. They are fans who created this site at their own expense, and who maintain it on their own spare time, purely out of a desire to share their love for Duke Basketball with other fans. Both have jobs and families that rightfully must be given priority. As far as I know, the only thing they get in return after paying expenses is the personal satisfaction of knowing that many people are able to enjoy visiting the DBR and appreciate their efforts in making the site available as a source of information and entertainment.

Those who have frequented the DBR over the years realize that J & B don't always have time to perform the kind of "quality control" they would like, and that they welcome messages from readers pointing out mistakes that need to be corrected. Fortunately, most readers have the appreciation and courtesy to do so privately without using the mistake as a gratuitous opportunity to give the DBR--and J & B--snarky poke in the eye.

DukeDevilDeb
01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
OK. It now says Dave McClure. Can someone lock this thread?

Wander
01-25-2009, 04:36 PM
No one asked me, but feel obliged to respond to this post. While the distinction may be of little import to some, writers for the Washington Post are professional journalists. Expending the time and attention required to proofread the articles their employer will publish and eliminate mistakes is part of their job. I expect they understand and accept that errors in their work are fair subject for criticism.

Julio and Boswell would be the first to admit that they are not professional journalists. They are fans who created this site at their own expense, and who maintain it on their own spare time, purely out of a desire to share their love for Duke Basketball with other fans. Both have jobs and families that rightfully must be given priority. As far as I know, the only thing they get in return after paying expenses is the personal satisfaction of knowing that many people are able to enjoy visiting the DBR and appreciate their efforts in making the site available as a source of information and entertainment.

Those who have frequented the DBR over the years realize that J & B don't always have time to perform the kind of "quality control" they would like, and that they welcome messages from readers pointing out mistakes that need to be corrected. Fortunately, most readers have the appreciation and courtesy to do so privately without using the mistake as a gratuitous opportunity to give the DBR--and J & B--snarky poke in the eye.

You mods should remember this exact same argument in the future...

Jumbo
01-25-2009, 04:47 PM
The timing of the call out is amusing, but I'm willing to cut Julio and Boswell some slack as writing these recaps is a hobby for them. The Washington Post has writers and editors that get paid to do this and should be held to a higher standard.

Or did the Post have to get rid of its copy editors in the latest round of newspaper budget cuts? ;)

Yeah, making fun of the fact that newspapers are laying people off left and right is hilarious! Totally deserves a winky face. And copy editors -- who are punching out a ton of material at rapid pace on a daily basis --check for stuff like grammar and major issues, not the spelling of the name of an obscure BBQ place in another city.

BD80
01-25-2009, 04:54 PM

I believe that posts providing information - such as the information provided by J&B - are accorded substantial leeway by the mods.

I remember Doug from the early '70s show "Search". It is funny to recall what the futuristic "computer geek" could accomplish compared to today. Even wild imaginings could not predict where we are today. Well, except maybe for Orwell in "1984".

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-25-2009, 05:27 PM

Exactly. No one here was trying to be nasty towards J&B, who do great work that is much appreciated. The slip of the fingers just provides a reminder that even smart, knowledgeable folks can misspell a name and not a) be idiots or b) have nothing of value to contribute. We're all buddies gathered to discuss Duke basketball. Playful ribbing for a mistake is great but, speaking as someone who definitely takes himself too seriously at times, it's a good reminder that none of us needs to get bent out of shape over a careless moment of typing.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Best comment in this whole thread, which has become way too serious.

tbyers11
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, making fun of the fact that newspapers are laying people off left and right is hilarious! Totally deserves a winky face. And copy editors -- who are punching out a ton of material at rapid pace on a daily basis --check for stuff like grammar and major issues, not the spelling of the name of an obscure BBQ place in another city.

Sorry, if you didn't appreciate the joke. It was a joke. The point still stands that the article in the Post is being put out by professionals being paid to do a job.

LetItBD08
01-25-2009, 06:04 PM
And copy editors -- who are punching out a ton of material at rapid pace on a daily basis --check for stuff like grammar and major issues, not the spelling of the name of an obscure BBQ place in another city.

I doubt this article had a copy editor checking it for grammar in the first place. Look at the first freaking sentence!

"Before catching our flight home after yesterday's game, Patrick Stevens of the Washington Times joined Eric Prisbell and I for a quick meal at Bullock's Bar B Cue in Durham."

It is kind of sad that someone who chooses journalism as a profession messed up "I" versus "me" in an article.

(Looks like Bullock's is spelled correctly now.)

Cavlaw
01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Since everyone here knows that I have no sense of humor, I'll be the one to call this the end of the line for this thread. Stray's post nicely sums up our position on the matter.