PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

ehdg
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Just curious anyone else here use facebook? I just signed up recently and getting use to it. erich golden if folks want to find me on there.

Ben63
01-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Many of us who have facebook are in this group. You can find us all here.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1093819589#/group.php?gid=57403942400

BlueDevilJay
01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Ben, why haven't we become friends on there yet? I've got several DBR'ers on my list from that group, and given our mutual love of 'football', I was just wondering :) I'll go look through the group tonight and add you.

Lavabe
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Ben, why haven't we become friends on there yet? I've got several DBR'ers on my list from that group, and given our mutual love of 'football', I was just wondering :) I'll go look through the group tonight and add you.

I haven't signed up, as I'd like to see how other academics view FB. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, and the negatives are VERY negative. Any thoughts from any academics out there?

Thanks,
Lavabe

rthomas
01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I haven't signed up, as I'd like to see how other academics view FB. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, and the negatives are VERY negative. Any thoughts from any academics out there?

Thanks,
Lavabe

I signed up for Facebook a couple years ago when I was teaching a class with 250 people. I did so because I would get emails from students who thought that I would know who they were, and so I got on Facebook where I could look them up and determine if indeed I knew who they were.

If you do sign up and students find out, they will ALL want to be your friend.

My daughter thinks I signed up for Facebook because I am a dirty old man scoping out the young babes I teach.

Cavlaw
01-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Facebook confuses me. I can't find the "give infraction" button.

Lavabe
01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I signed up for Facebook a couple years ago when I was teaching a class with 250 people. I did so because I would get emails from students who thought that I would know who they were, and so I got on Facebook where I could look them up and determine if indeed I knew who they were.

If you do sign up and students find out, they will ALL want to be your friend.

My daughter thinks I signed up for Facebook because I am a dirty old man scoping out the young babes I teach.

Did it affect your class discourse or class management? Are you still using it?

BlueDevilJay
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM

Hilarious. I don't know if I'd qualify as an 'academic', but I was hesitant at first to sign up for it, given my experience with MySpace (I detest that site), but I've liked Facebook. Actually gotten in touch with alot of old friends, keep up with family, etc. Those that get on there looking to date though tend to create the 'negatives'. I've never tried using it for that purpose, nor do I intend to, so for me it's been pretty good.

rthomas
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Did it affect your class discourse or class management? Are you still using it?

It doesn't have a big affect on my classes. And yes, I am still scoping out the young babes I teach.:)

DukeUsul
01-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Facebook in general has been great for reconnecting with old friends. I see the biggest issue where you might have an inappropriate level of familiarity. Teachers and students is obviously the huge one. My wife (a psychologist) has had the issue with patients wanting to "friend" her on FB. Having a different kind of friendship outside of the therapeutic environment for her is a big ethical no-no, so she has to ignore all those requests.

billybreen
01-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Facebook in general has been great for reconnecting with old friends. I see the biggest issue where you might have an inappropriate level of familiarity. Teachers and students is obviously the huge one. My wife (a psychologist) has had the issue with patients wanting to "friend" her on FB. Having a different kind of friendship outside of the therapeutic environment for her is a big ethical no-no, so she has to ignore all those requests.

I'm still not sure what to make of Facebook. The ease of reconnecting is fantastic and clearly the big value prop, but there are cases when that reconnect is not desired. It's very difficult to turn down a friend request.

DevilAlumna
01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I think they should bring back the "drop 5 facebook friends, get a whopper" deal that Burger King was running. It was a funny way to be able to get rid of those "less than familiar" friends.

rockymtn devil
01-28-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm still not sure what to make of Facebook. The ease of reconnecting is fantastic and clearly the big value prop, but there are cases when that reconnect is not desired. It's very difficult to turn down a friend request.

It gets easier every time.

The Facebook Commandments:

http://www.slate.com/id/2174439/pagenum/all/

2535Miles
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
A close friend of mine from middle school and I were discussing this very issue. We were both wondering why in the heck we had accepted friend requests from people we could barely tolerate in throughout our school years.

Lavabe
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I see the biggest issue where you might have an inappropriate level of familiarity. Teachers and students is obviously the huge one. My wife (a psychologist) has had the issue with patients wanting to "friend" her on FB. Having a different kind of friendship outside of the therapeutic environment for her is a big ethical no-no, so she has to ignore all those requests.

This is the big reason I don't join.

On the other hand, I see the potential for communicating with friends in Madagascar. It might actually aid my research.

So should I have individual FB accounts for my personal life, research, and teaching?
Cheers,
Lavabe

rockymtn devil
01-28-2009, 12:33 PM

On the other hand, I see the potential for communicating with friends in Madagascar. It might actually aid my research.

So should I have individual FB accounts for my personal life, research, and teaching?
Cheers,
Lavabe

I believe you can set your privacy settings so that you don't appear in any searches, including ones made by people within your "network" (like students at your university). This would mean you would have to be pro-active in finding contacts you want to "friend", but it would go a long way towards erecting a barrier between you and your students. I could be wrong on this though.

Cavlaw
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I do it all the time. Well, not all the time, since not many people want to be my friend...

But anyway, I turn down requests I get from people I knew in days gone by who weren't friends, or who were friends of friends, or who I don't really feel the need to reconnect with. I always turn down anyone I haven't met before (excepting DBR folks, of course).

Seriously, where's the harm in it? If someone isn't my friend, and I'm never going to see them, then what's the big deal if I don't accept their request/ It's not like they get a nastygram from me - they don't even get a negative response.

Lavabe
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I do it all the time. Well, not all the time, since not many people want to be my friend...

In your recent job interview, did your FB account come up?

duke74
01-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Interesting, but that is something I actually warn the "youngsters" about. What is cool in college (pix, etc) may not be as endearing to prospective employers.

At my firm, we actually established an internal social networking site to "make the firm" smaller and enhance connectivity. The young staff members (and some of us old partners) use FB or similar sites. This was just a logical extension of what they are already familiar with.

I've loved the "DBR Posters" group as a means of getting to know many of you ourside the DBR world.

Cavlaw
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
No, and at the time I had pretty open privacy settings. I would think it very strange if an interviewer mentioned it (though I wouldn't be surprised at all if they looked for it). My profile is pretty vanilla -- recognizing that it is semi-public I keep it clean and delete anything friends post on it that I don't think appropriate for public consumption.

DukeUsul
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

I do know people who do this. One old friend of mine is a HS music teacher. He had a single account and was friends with many of his students. He clearly posted things that were way inappropriate for his underage students to be seeing. After a few months, I think he must have realized it (or his school came down on him) and he set up a second account for his "real-life" friends and kept the one with his students pretty clean.

Jfrosh
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
What a timely post. I just signed up to Facebook yesterday. I had never really been interested, but my wife got me to sign up to join a group. I was really impressed with the ability to see so many people I hadn't seen in years. Much better than that old "Classmates" web site which would give you a little info, but require money to get more. Looking through hundreds from my high school class, except man those people are old. I really like the ability to join and form groups.

blublood
01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I believe you can set your privacy settings so that you don't appear in any searches, including ones made by people within your "network" (like students at your university). This would mean you would have to be pro-active in finding contacts you want to "friend", but it would go a long way towards erecting a barrier between you and your students. I could be wrong on this though.

Yes, yes, this is what you should do! Facebook is far too wonderful a creation to ignore. You can make yourself invisible like that and you can also accept friend requests but then later block that person if you really don't want them to see your profile.

Also, beware of joining networks. Most of the time when you do, facebook automatically selects that other people in the network can see your profile, which I do not understand the point of. I mean, I really don't want someone who went to Duke in 1955 to be able to "see" me. Regardless, if you do join the Duke network or a work network or whatever, just be sure you set it so that "only friends" can see you.

I have had such a blast with it. Most of my class from high school is on there and it is so cool to see where everybody has ended up. I keep in touch with friends that I never get to see. I recently went back to my hometown to visit a friend I hadn't seen in 15 years, which I would never have been able to do over e-mail b/c I didn't have her address. And, as an added bonus, I can watch a certain ex make an arse of himself on facebook most weeks. You can't put a price on joy like that. ; )

DukeUsul
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
I've had a number of friends on Facebook post old pictures from high school or college days. It has inspired me to do the same. I've dug out an old box full of crazy old pictures. Drunken nights in college. Inappropriate photos taken at our high school band camp. Way too many bad 1992-ish New Jersey perms with teased bangs. I'm thinking of scanning in a bunch of these and posting them.

Now when I post them, I can tag people in the photos who are friends of mine. And when I do that, many of our shared friends will see that pop up in their news feed and be able to take a look. Now I typically post photos and make them viewable by friends only - so at least no third parties will see them. But what happens when I post a picture of Friend A when she was 14 in her high-waisted jeans with the pegged cuffs and NKOTB t-shirt? Is she gonna be pissed that all our mutual FB friends will be able to see? Or what if I post a picture of two friends who were the greatest couple in high school, only to have a terrible breakup and never quite get over it. Are they over it now, 15 years later? Will they think it's great reminiscing, or will they be pissed at me?

I've already rasied this idea with my wife and was told in no uncertain terms that anything I scan and post of her must be from HS on - no pics of the akward middle school years.

Anyway, these are the things I'm thinking about as I go through these old photos and at least I'm aware of people's feelings. I hope I do a good job picking what to put up.

sue71, esq
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Also, beware of joining networks. Most of the time when you do, facebook automatically selects that other people in the network can see your profile, which I do not understand the point of. I mean, I really don't want someone who went to Duke in 1955 to be able to "see" me. Regardless, if you do join the Duke network or a work network or whatever, just be sure you set it so that "only friends" can see you.

I've had a number of friends on Facebook post old pictures from high school or college days. It has inspired me to do the same. I've dug out an old box full of crazy old pictures. Drunken nights in college. Inappropriate photos taken at our high school band camp. Way too many bad 1992-ish New Jersey perms with teased bangs. I'm thinking of scanning in a bunch of these and posting them.

Now when I post them, I can tag people in the photos who are friends of mine. And when I do that, many of our shared friends will see that pop up in their news feed and be able to take a look. Now I typically post photos and make them viewable by friends only - so at least no third parties will see them. But what happens when I post a picture of Friend A when she was 14 in her high-waisted jeans with the pegged cuffs and NKOTB t-shirt? Is she gonna be pissed that all our mutual FB friends will be able to see? Or what if I post a picture of two friends who were the greatest couple in high school, only to have a terrible breakup and never quite get over it. Are they over it now, 15 years later? Will they think it's great reminiscing, or will they be pissed at me?

Remember, you can adjust your setting so that people can't see these... You have options- everyone, networks, friends of friends, friends only, no one, etc...

DukeUsul
01-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Remember, you can adjust your setting so that people can't see these... You have options- everyone, networks, friends of friends, friends only, no one, etc...

Oh yes, like I said, I always restrict photos to just friends. But still, with 200+ friends, there may be a case where Friend A doesn't like the fact that I post a picture of myself from HS that he's in it and he looks fat or his hair is bad and my other Friend B can see that picture - and Friend A and Friend B hate each other and haven't spoken since that thing happened on prom night.....

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Anyway, these are the things I'm thinking about as I go through these old photos and at least I'm aware of people's feelings. I hope I do a good job picking what to put up.

I would untag myself just as quickly as you posted those pics. Personally, I don't think it's good etiquette to tag people in pics unless you know for sure that it's okay with them. I cringe when I see the scanned HS/college pics of those of us who went to HS/college pre-digital cameras. I'm quite happy knowing those drunken fraternity party memories are locked away in a shoebox.

Also know that if you don't alter your security settings, anyone who can see that you tagged someone in a pic, can see that entire photo album. That would include all your friends and all the tagged person's friends, ie people who may be strangers to you.

Just a word of caution.

bluebutton
01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm still a grad student, but here's my FB take:

1) I don't "friend" students at my institution. If they have already graduated, I'll think about it. I have a few former students from like summer of 04 who live abroad and they were interesting enough to keep around, but I think about un-friending them. Although one did offer me a job.

2) I don't "friend" potential employers. Since part of my degree is in teaching English as a second language and I live in SoCal, a lot of graduates and lecturers from my department are now potential employers.

3) I don't post "controversial" things--photos, status updates, notes, etc. Even with my privacy settings set pretty high, I keep in mind that some of my current classmates who are friends may eventually be employers.

Agh. FB is a bit of a nightmare. But for connecting with old friends that I actually WANT to connect with, it's been great.

snowdenscold
01-28-2009, 03:54 PM
It's easy to not accept people - I do it all the time.

My general rule is that if I haven't met you in real life and had a conversation consisting more than "Hi, nice to meet you." then I reject (so please don't take offense if I don't accept). I pruned some people off my list a couple years ago and am strongly considering probably deleting another 10-20% of my current friends here in the near future.

I like my FB profile to (ideally) reflect people who are/were actually my 'friends' not people I just met once. Similarly, I don't join every new funny-named group that comes along - I only join groups that I was actually part of in real life at some point (w/ the DBR Posters group now being the exception to the rule).

Windsor
01-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I do know people who do this. One old friend of mine is a HS music teacher. He had a single account and was friends with many of his students. He clearly posted things that were way inappropriate for his underage students to be seeing. After a few months, I think he must have realized it (or his school came down on him) and he set up a second account for his "real-life" friends and kept the one with his students pretty clean.

My husband is a teacher and the district policy here is NO Facebook if you are a teacher, NO Myspace. NO Exceptions.

At my company they routinely search facebook, myspace, linked in etc for potential hires. It is mind boggling what some people will put out there for all the world to see.

blublood
01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Question: how can they (that is, employers) search for you and see your profile if you haven't friended them and have no idea who they are? If there is some kind of secret override function, isn't that a violation of privacy??

Windsor
01-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Question: how can they (that is, employers) search for you and see your profile if you haven't friended them and have no idea who they are? If there is some kind of secret override function, isn't that a violation of privacy??

It is a public forum. I can type in your name and search you. No different than googling you. If people don't have their sites set as 'friends only' then they are open to the world. FB will (sometimes) let you see a profile photo and that persons friends - if you want to click through the list you can usually find someone who is not friends only. Having found that if your potential hire has a written on their wall (left a comment) "we were so f'ed up last weekend...did I leave my bong at your house?" I can read it. No 'override' needed.
If you've never done it google your name and then your e-mail address and see what you can see.

DevilAlumna
01-29-2009, 01:35 AM
What if real life were more like Facebook?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrlSkU0TFLs

2535Miles
01-29-2009, 02:25 AM

Fantastic. :D

YmoBeThere
01-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Facebook? What's that?

Mike Corey
01-29-2009, 08:41 AM

You may love the book of faces yet.

There is a "Duke basketball" application of sorts that could tickle the fancy of your infraction impulses.

Highlander
01-29-2009, 10:23 AM
So I got friended by someone I don't really know from back home. I ignored the friend request after some deliberation.

Then the person sends me a friend request AGAIN. I could ignore it again, but what's to stop that person from continuing to pester me with friend requests? I could block them, but that seems kind of harsh.

Anything else I can do? Should I send them a note?

blublood
01-29-2009, 10:36 AM
So I got friended by someone I don't really know from back home. I ignored the friend request after some deliberation.

Then the person sends me a friend request AGAIN. I could ignore it again, but what's to stop that person from continuing to pester me with friend requests? I could block them, but that seems kind of harsh.

I have blocked several people like this. If you have no friends in common, it shouldn't matter. Also, one helpful thing is to set your privacy options so that it doesn't publish a story when you friend someone. That way, they don't know who you're friending or if you're friending at all.

(I used the word 'friend' an awful lot in this post!)

Bostondevil
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I joined Facebook to make it easier to run my theater group. It worked. I'm able to keep in touch with my Boston theater friends much easier now. But apart from that, the main thing I do on Facebook is play Scramble, particularly with Shammrog.

CathyCA
01-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I joined Facebook to make it easier to run my theater group. It worked. I'm able to keep in touch with my Boston theater friends much easier now. But apart from that, the main thing I do on Facebook is play Scramble, particularly with Shammrog.

Shammrog is scary good at Scramble.

Bostondevil
01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Why thank you. Ok, I'm not trying to brag but we play each other a lot because we're fairly evenly matched. Right Shammrog?

2535Miles
01-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Block em and move on. I don't think there is anything harsh about that at all.

sue71, esq
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM

No. Sham is good at Scramble. Wilson is scary good at it.

snowdenscold
01-29-2009, 04:51 PM

Most people who I kinda know but don't know well enough to hit accept languish in my 'waiting for confirmation' box indefinitely. I've had people in there for 4+ years now.

Ben63
01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Anyone else here addicted to the game Bowling Buddies? I cannot stop playing. The game allows you to challenge other people and I am out of good competition amongst my friends. Anyone else play that could be a formidable opponent.

I believe DukeUsul plays this game?

DukeUsul
01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
I do play but haven't played in a while. And now I see you've sent me a challenge. I've had most of my notifications turned off, so that challenge has probably been sitting there waiting for me for a while...

duke74
01-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Spot on..on MANY levels.

EarlJam
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Agreed. As is Wilson.

Those two are the Kobe and Lebron of Scramble. I'm more like Sam Bowie - but I'm learning, and am getting better.

-EarlJam

rthomas
01-30-2009, 01:58 PM
I din't realize that you could search back in high school classes etc. So I did and I found my first girl friend (if you know what I mean, yes that's what I mean) from 1972. And she is still quite attractive.

So the million dollar question is: Should I friend her?

Edit: Haven't seen her since 1973.

CathyCA
01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I din't realize that you could search back in high school classes etc. So I did and I found my first girl friend (if you know what I mean, yes that's what I mean) from 1972. And she is still quite attractive.

Yes.

blublood
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM

^^ That is, if you're not presently married or in another relationship. If so, bad, bad idea... ;)

Mike Corey
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Thanks,
Lavabe

Lavabe,

The Chronicle of Higher Education has just published an article (http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i22/22a00104.htm?utm_source=at&utm_medium=en) on this very topic.

Here's an excerpt:

But Facebook, like e-mail, yields more pros than cons, so the trick is to learn to master it rather than ignore it. That's according to Nicole B. Ellison, an assistant professor at Michigan State University, who spent the past three years researching student behavior on Facebook, and who uses it herself. "There's tremendous potential with these social networks for developing relationships and being exposed to different perspectives," she says. They are particularly well suited to academic work, where researchers need to keep up with a number of far-flung colleagues.

Just don't forget that what you say on Facebook is often flung far, and you should work to control, or at least be aware of, who your audience is.

"Once faculty read this story, many of them will immediately go and check their privacy settings" on Facebook, said Ms. Ellison.

Here's what you should check: Under "Settings," look for the "Privacy" section. Click on "Profile" to control who can see your pages. The default is to share with anyone on your network — many professors join the network for their college, but some might choose the one for the city where they live — along with anyone marked as a "friend." You may want to change that setting to "Only Friends," to keep out others who happen to be on your network.

Lavabe
02-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Lavabe,

The Chronicle of Higher Education has just published an article (http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i22/22a00104.htm?utm_source=at&utm_medium=en) on this very topic.

Here's an excerpt:

Thanks. I read that earlier today, and it sounds scary. When a privacy setting isn't set properly, all you know what can break loose.

The crux of my dilemma is that I see all sorts of good for research and collaboration, but I see all sorts of potential for a major WHOOPS. Right now, I am taking a Windsor approach to this issue.

Windsor
02-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Back in the dark ages (before the internet...heck before PCs) I remember by father telling me not to write anything that I wouldn't want to see on a billboard or the front page of the local paper. My myspace/facebook/e-mail policy still adheres to that. I err on the side of caution. I have a photo of my husband in my pictures on myspace, I had two I was deciding between, both from his 50th birthday party. Since he teaches I picked the picture that wasn't quite as good because in the other you could just make out he might be holding (horrors!) a beer.

elvis14
02-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I joined and have noticed it's gone through my real friends like a wave. More and more join. In almost all cases it' has been great. Several old friend from high school have befriended me (and that was good). I did find an ex-girlfriend (who I have not made a friend request - not because her and I are not cool, just out of respect for my wife). I suck at scrabble. I'm much more reserved on Facebook than I am when I'm hanging out with my real friends. It's a cool way to share pictures with friends and just keep in touch. A friend did tag me in some old pictures (that was cool, not embarassing) and some party pictures (OK, some of those were embarassing but in a good natured way so I was cool with it).

Thanks for mentioning the DBR posters group. I joined and posted my DBR alias for cross reference.

CathyCA
02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I joined and have noticed it's gone through my real friends like a wave. More and more join. In almost all cases it' has been great. Several old friend from high school have befriended me (and that was good). I did find an ex-girlfriend (who I have not made a friend request - not because her and I are not cool, just out of respect for my wife). I suck at scrabble. I'm much more reserved on Facebook than I am when I'm hanging out with my real friends. It's a cool way to share pictures with friends and just keep in touch. A friend did tag me in some old pictures (that was cool, not embarassing) and some party pictures (OK, some of those were embarassing but in a good natured way so I was cool with it).

Thanks for mentioning the DBR posters group. I joined and posted my DBR alias for cross reference.

I just sent you a friend request on FB.

elvis14
02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
I just sent you a friend request on FB.

Confirmed :D Now you can see pics of my girls in addition to all my goofy DBR posts!

johnb
02-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I teach, never friend students, but do accept friendship requests from ex-students. Oh, but my students have finished medical school so it's not like I'm friending 13 year olds.

I don't go looking for info about applicants, but I did look up the one applicant who mentioned a blog. That person's snarky blog doomed her application.

dukegirlinsc
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I freakin' love Facebook. I've neglected my Myspace account in a serious manner.

DukeUsul
02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I freakin' love Facebook. I've neglected my Myspace account in a serious manner.

Facebook totally pwns MySpace. I haven't logged into MySpace in probably six months.

Cavlaw
02-05-2009, 08:59 PM
CNN.com cover story at the moment is about facebook identity theft. Not much substance to the story, though, just a couple of anecdotes.

DukePA
02-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Have you joined the DBR group? If you haven't, please do!

dukegirlinsc
02-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Have you joined the DBR group? If you haven't, please do!

Joining!! :)

BlueDevilJay
02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Joining!! :)
Lol, I think she needs to spend less time in front of the computer, stupid migraines. Are you feeling any better yet?

DukeUsul
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Here's an example of the beauty of Facbeook.

Old friend of mine from High School just totally screwed up part of her business' web site by trying to change something herself instead of calling her web dev contractor. She puts out an "emergency" message on her FB status. A couple of us come to her rescue and within less than 30 mins we have her issue fixed.

That's pretty powerful.

TillyGalore
02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Here's an example of the beauty of Facbeook.

Old friend of mine from High School just totally screwed up part of her business' web site by trying to change something herself instead of calling her web dev contractor. She puts out an "emergency" message on her FB status. A couple of us come to her rescue and within less than 30 mins we have her issue fixed.

That's pretty powerful.

That makes me want to put up a message: Needed: a couple of big strong men to help me move Feb 28th.

Cavlaw
02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I just discovered an interesting use for firefox adblock.

A friend of mine commented on one of his friend's pictures - a bad picture of squalling baby in the delivery room. Great, I'm sure everyone who actually knows the proud parent was happy to see a picture, but I've never met the guy and don't need to see the naked, bloody infant wailing away on my newsfeed every time I go to facebook.

The existing facebook options are insufficient, since they (a) apparently only take effect on a go-forward basis (per multiple attempts to reload the page), and (b) could only apply to my friend, or all photo stories generally, rather than just people I don't know. Fortunately, adblock allows you block an individual image if you don't want to block an entire site, so the problem is solved!

dukegirlinsc
02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Lol, I think she needs to spend less time in front of the computer, stupid migraines. Are you feeling any better yet?

No, I'm not!! I think I'm adjusting to living with them though, unfortunately.

whereinthehellami
02-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm afraid to join Facebook as everyone I know, including the wifey, got hooked on it and get the look of cult worshippers whenever they talk about it or are on it. Plus it kind of reminds me of high school, a road I'd just as soon not trod back down.

terrih
03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
With a break now from Duke B-Ball, I finally took the time to set up my FB account today. Figured it was a good time, since I can replace some basketball viewing to hooking up with old friends, etc.

I also joined the DBR Group.

-Terri

DukePA's Mom
03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Anyone else here addicted to the game Bowling Buddies? I cannot stop playing. The game allows you to challenge other people and I am out of good competition amongst my friends. Anyone else play that could be a formidable opponent.

I believe DukeUsul plays this game?

No, but I am addicted to brick breakers on my blackberry. Gads, I can't seen to get past level 18. It is so much fun. Never heard of bowling buddies. Where do you do this?

Ben63
03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
No, but I am addicted to brick breakers on my blackberry. Gads, I can't seen to get past level 18. It is so much fun. Never heard of bowling buddies. Where do you do this?

Its a game on Facebook.

cl15876
03-30-2009, 10:57 PM
No, but I am addicted to brick breakers on my blackberry. Gads, I can't seen to get past level 18. It is so much fun. ...

On level 18, WOW, that is AWESOME!!!!! I can't get passed level 14!!! Who can get to level 34? :D

DukePA's Mom
03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
On level 18, WOW, that is AWESOME!!!!! I can't get passed level 14!!! Who can get to level 34? :D

Bowling Buddys, how do I get there? Sounds like fun.

TillyGalore
03-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Bowling Buddys, how do I get there? Sounds like fun.

I sent you an invitation to bowl with me. :D

TheRose77
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
I missed my multi-class high school reunion (early 70's) in High Point last weekend, but thanks to the magic of facebook, I was able to view scores of photos of the event, and enjoyed seeing everybody. Some were old people, though. Don't know how that happened :)