PDA

View Full Version : Which Was More Pathetic?

Jumbo
01-24-2009, 02:24 PM
I think we need a little mock trial here. Which was more pathetic -- Maryland's offense or Maryland's defense?

The case for the offense: Scored only 44 points, and when they weren't bricking shots from all over the court (18-64 from the field, 6-12 from the line), they were virtually handing the ball to Duke's defenders (17 turnovers).

The case for the defense: Duke didn't just get any shot it wanted each trip down the court, it got multiple great shots because Maryland couldn't even grab a rebound when it managed to get a stop. At one point in the game, Duke repeatedly decide which of three wide-open, unguarded three-point shooters should hoist a shot. Duke's 85 points could have been 115.

This is a very serious issue, and I expect the lawyers on the board to present excellent cases for both sides!

BlueintheFace
01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
You have to go with the defense. In the second half they just stopped putting their hands up to contest shots. It was pathetic.

Our defense was pretty solid today, so we took away a lot from them on offense, but at least they kept trying instead of jacking up threes for the last 10 minutes.

captmojo
01-24-2009, 02:29 PM
It's hard not to be viewed as pathetic when you lose this big and give up this many offensive rebounds.

Defense, for certain.

jv001
01-24-2009, 02:29 PM
The twerp defense made our offense look real good. Rebounding is a big part of defense and they could not get a bound. I can't say much about their offense because our defense has made other teams offense look bad. But to give up points the way they were was just baddddddd. I had to vote for their defense. Go Duke!

shadowfax336
01-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Has to be the defense. When Scheyer faked a 3 that was only mildly contested, then passed up a wide open 3 because there was a guy within 10 feet of him to pass to Nolan who had nobody within a mile to contest the shot, that was the point where I officially started laughing at Maryland.

RainingThrees
01-24-2009, 02:31 PM
The twerp defense made our offense look real good. Rebounding is a big part of defense and they could not get a bound. I can't say much about their offense because our defense has made other teams offense look bad. But to give up points the way they were was just baddddddd. I had to vote for their defense. Go Duke!

Their main problem in rebounding was that their tallest player was 6'7". That won't cut anywhere except high school. And the way they didn't box out wouldn't even cut it in middle school.

taiw93
01-24-2009, 02:35 PM
How about c) All of the above ;)
But in all seriousness, I would have to say the defense. Offense is sometimes a matter of whether you're "on or "off," while defense and rebounding are almost entirely based on hustle and determination. Maryland showed neither today, and thus were handed a well deserved 40-point spanking.

DukeBlood
01-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Their main problem in rebounding was that their tallest player was 6'7". That won't cut anywhere except high school. And the way they didn't box out wouldn't even cut it in middle school.

I wouldn't say the height is/was the problem(except when Zoubek was in the game). IMO it was the lack of boxing out, lack of effort. They just gave up.

KandG
01-24-2009, 02:39 PM
I didn't think their half-court defense was awful for a section of the first half (when they were hovering within 8-12 points), though some of that was our execution on offense being uncertain in stretches.

When they went to the zone, though, and Zoubek found a gargantuan seam in the zone and just planted himself there for the pass and then subsequent dish to a cutter for the basket...followed later in the game by one wide open 3 after another by our guys...yeah, that was horrific, grade school defense.

FireOgilvie
01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I'd say offense in a close call. We missed a ton of really easy shots but they still held us to 42 percent shooting. Their "offense" managed 28 percent and they didn't even look like they were trying half the time. I've never seen a team give less effort on offense or pass up that many open shots.

Great stat:

Landon Milbourne - 9 -16 from the field
Rest of the team - 9 - 48.

jv001
01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
The only time they played any defense at all was at the end of the game against our bench. They gave up against our starters. Go Duke!

Wander
01-24-2009, 02:46 PM
I was really hoping the Korean guy air balling his first shot then getting his second shot blocked by Plumlee was going to be an option in this poll.

Or the guy who air balled a hook shot, badly.

Or that Vasquez needed an assistant coach to be his bodyguard pre-game.

Or that Gary needed a timeout about five seconds into the 2nd half.

Man, I could go on and on...

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
15 point 1st half wins my vote for the offense.

Ben63
01-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Defense. Sometimes the shots just don't fall. It can happen to any team. Today was obviously not Maryland's day. But defense is more about effort. And Maryland gave no effort defensivley which in my book is WAY worse than having a very below average day shooting the basketball.

Jumbo
01-24-2009, 03:08 PM
People, people, this is a very serious case. Quick, one-sentence answers won't do. Scholars on both sides of this debate could be studying the issue for years. We need the very best of DBR's legal minds to step up and present strong, empirical cases for each side!

BoC
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I say defense; if your offense has trouble getting things going, it's nice to have good D to keep you in the game.

Lord Ash
01-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Maryland's defense; like most offenses, their offense didn't have a chance against our D. But their D? Woof.

Can you add an option for "All of the above?"

Man, beating Maryland this bad is very entertaining.

calltheobvious
01-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I was really hoping the Korean guy air balling his first shot then getting his second shot blocked by Plumlee was going to be an option in this poll.

Or the guy who air balled a hook shot, badly.

Or that Vasquez needed an assistant coach to be his bodyguard pre-game.

Or that Gary needed a timeout about five seconds into the 2nd half.

Man, I could go on and on...

...Or Len Elmore attributing the Terps' lack of emotional sticktoitiveness to not getting some calls in the first half.

Or Len Elmore terping about the two possible goaltends in the second half.

Or Len Elmore being "appalled" by Maryland's lack of effort on the boards (when's the last time a non-partisan announcer was 'appalled' by anything?).

cl15876
01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm split... Offense was obviously great (aka high scoring, but that could be viewed as lack of opponent D or aggressively hitting the boards, I'm tossed on both, but when you are #1, a WIN is a WIN!!)

The DUKE Defense was awesome (1st, 2nd, or nth string).... which kept UMD to minimum.

I think the aggressiveness exhibited from the start contributed to UMD not being able to recover... good and collective "team" play and no show boating end up creating the unified front that resulted in a HUGE CRUSH!!!!

I sure hope they keep the momentum going!!!!!! Let's Go DUKE! :D

jv001
01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
...Or Len Elmore attributing the Terps' lack of emotional sticktoitiveness to not getting some calls in the first half.

Or Len Elmore being "appalled" by Maryland's lack of effort on the boards (when's the last time a non-partisan announcer was 'appalled' by anything?).

Can I change my vote to len pathetic elmore? Go Duke!

SMO
01-24-2009, 05:04 PM

I thought for sure that was going to be an option when I saw this thread. In his absence, I voted for the defense. The offense at least tried. On defense the Terps flat out gave up.

roywhite
01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
One more vote for Len Elmore.

The poor guy can't help himself; given enough time, he will inevitably start Terping about the refs or make some snarky comment about Duke.

delfrio
01-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I think "Defense" is the only reasonable answer. The question comes down to what factors Maryland had control over. If they had no control, then I don't think we can move to convict. Re: Maryland's (offensive) offense, we know that Duke is pretty good at shutting down opponents, taking control away from them and reducing them to helpless babies (sweaty babies in Gary's case). Re: Maryland's defense, here we know that any team has control over it's defensive intensity. I move that Maryland showed next to none, and is in fact guilty of involuntary manslaughter (of their own team). That is, their worst defeat ever due to a wanton disregard for the known dangers of a particular situation -- coming into our house and not playing a lick of defense.

Case closed!

SMO
01-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Clearly Maryland was terrible today. Can anyone explain how they beat Mich St? Today's game made the Big 10 looks silly.

miramar
01-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Since I didn't see much offense or defense, I'm afraid the sample size was too small for a precise statistical inference either way.

But I am grateful that with that big of a lead, the broadcast didn't cut away to any more of Sweaty's insane sideline antics during the second half. I know that people keep saying that he doesn't like to recruit, but at the same time why would any decent recruit play for that guy?

RelativeWays
01-24-2009, 06:01 PM
There needs to be a ?Maryland in general" option but I'd pick offense. Sometimes and team that isn't strong on defense can take the opposition out of sync just by scoring and pressuring the other team to keep up. UNC excels at that for example. UMD, however, couldn't throw it in the ocean and often had their pockets picked before they had the chance. That was the worst performance I've seen by an ACC team in a real long time....though UVA is close.

CameronCrazy'11
01-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Considering that they could only get 44 points, despite the fact that we were playing our second team for the last 15 minutes, I have to go with the offense here.

Papa John
01-24-2009, 06:47 PM

To be fair, I also thought one of Plumlee's blocks was a goaltend... But to whine about a deuce when your team is down by over 40 to me is akin to whining about how the Titanic's silverware isn't polished moments before it sinks to the bottom of the Atlantic... And with regard to complaining about the officiating--they largely swallowed the whistles with 8 minutes left in the game, clearly wanting the clock to run and the carnage to be over... They were letting contact go on both sides...

Ultimately, I loved Elmore's performance this afternoon! Listening to his seething rage boiling over was absolutely blissful! And I'm one who actually doesn't dislike the guy as a color commentator... I think he often offers good insights into the game... You just need to keep in mind that he is very much a partisan [which is why it is so fun to listen to him squirm during a game like today's]...

AtlDuke72
01-24-2009, 07:53 PM

Elmore is pretty bad but Mike Patrick raving about the "athletic play" when the guy had been out of bounds for about 4 steps took the cake. Elmore even laughed when the ref failed to make the call. It was pretty clear the refs had just quit calling the game at that point. Then Patrick talked about it again after Elmore had asked if the guy was walking on air. One of the all time worst calls.

jv001
01-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Elmore is pretty bad but Mike Patrick raving about the "athletic play" when the guy had been out of bounds for about 4 steps took the cake. Elmore even laughed when the ref failed to make the call. It was pretty clear the refs had just quit calling the game at that point. Then Patrick talked about it again after Elmore had asked if the guy was walking on air. One of the all time worst calls.

Yes that was a pretty bad call or non call. But no one is worse than elmore. He can't help it, he can't hold back his dislike for Duke. Let's face it their have been some pretty bad announcers. Patrick, elmore, Vitale, Packer, Digger and some that I can't think of right now. Go Duke!

mehmattski
01-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh definitely the defense. The offense (except Vasquez) did what they could, and Millbourne actually had a solid game, our defense is just that good. It was not the first time we held opponents to less than 20 points in a half, anyway.

But the uninspired way that Maryland played on defense was a mockery of Division I college basketball. The beginning of the second half, we scored roughly one point per minute! It started with Scheyer for a wide open three... I watched as he took a breath, settled, considered passing, and then half-shrugged and took a three, with still no one within ten feet of him. Then there was the play someone else mentioned, when Scheyer passed up a wide-open trey to dish to Smith for an even-more-wide-open trey. And of course the two breakaways that brought the house down. What an unbelievable lack of intensity from a supposed top-flight college basketball program. And that's why the defense was more pathetic.