PDA

View Full Version : Are We Having Fun Yet?

ForeverBlowingBubbles
01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Its awesome to see. Also the most fun I've had watching in the last 2 years.

DukePA
01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Glad you mentioned this. Is everyone having fun yet? We're 18-1, about to be #1 and just beat Maryland by 41 points. Yeah, we're all looking ahead to bigger things down the line, but the fun is in the journey. And right now, this is a blast. Is everyone having as good a time following this team as I am?

YES!!

devildownunder
Glad you mentioned this. Is everyone having fun yet? We're 18-1, about to be #1 and just beat Maryland by 41 points. Yeah, we're all looking ahead to bigger things down the line, but the fun is in the journey. And right now, this is a blast. Is everyone having as good a time following this team as I am?

Having a blast. This is a great team to watch.

Jumbo
Somehow this post (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=246456&postcount=14) got moved to the post-game thread, but I think ForeverBlowingBubbles was onto something, and it's bigger than just the Maryland game.

Is everyone having fun yet? We're 18-1, about to be #1 and just beat Maryland by 41 points. Yeah, we're all looking ahead to bigger things down the line, but the fun is in the journey. And right now, this is a blast. Is everyone having as good a time following this team as I am?

balkan boy
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I am having fun.

geraldsneighbor
01-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, I am having fun. Today was the first game of the year where you saw that this team is for real. The fun hopefully continues Wednesday night. One game at a time, you just have to enjoy the journey.

DukeBlood
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
The team chemistry on this team is amazing. They really like each other.

This is the most fun I have had since the 2001 season, and this may be the best Duke team since that season.

captmojo
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Absolutely and without question. The best part is that I think the best is yet to come. :)

ForeverBlowingBubbles
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I am even having fun seeing how the mods are trying to organize all this excitement! GO DEVILS!

jv001
01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Loving every minute of it. Go Duke!

A-Tex Devil
01-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Somehow this post (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=246456&postcount=14) got moved to the post-game thread, but I think ForeverBlowingBubbles was onto something, and it's bigger than just the Maryland game.

Is everyone having fun yet? We're 18-1, about to be #1 and just beat Maryland by 41 points. Yeah, we're all looking ahead to bigger things down the line, but the fun is in the journey. And right now, this is a blast. Is everyone having as good a time following this team as I am?

I am having a blast. Truly. But I was just as sold on this team last year when we were 18-1, so I am cautiously optimistic.

Still, I LOVE what Hendu, Singler, Scheyer and Co. re doing on the floor right now. I think last year was a tremendous coaching job done with some smoke and mirrors in hindsight. This year, we may truly be one of the best 3-4 teams in the country. Let's hope we play well on Wednesday!!

BlueintheFace
01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
G was smiling and hopping up and down like a little kid. Awesome!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Duke led by as many as 44 points, handing the Terrapins (13-6, 2-3) their worst loss under coach Gary Williams - AP

shadowfax336
01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Personally I feel like Steve Johnson and Olek didn't play enough minutes and that we went into stall ball too early, and that our lack of scoring down the stretch is just another example of how we don't have depth and since nobody scored 20 in this game we lack a go to scorer and .......

ForeverBlowingBubbles
01-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I think while this was an obvious effort by coach K to limit Singler's minutes (as its so obvious how he is physically fatigued), he has got to realize that one game won't do it ....

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2009, 02:30 PM
5-0. That is Duke's record after the Maryland game. No other team in the ACC is undefeated in the conference. I have little optimism that we will run the table, but to be 5 games in and undefeated not only in our conference, but in our last 10 games, knowing who we played out of conference is pretty solid.
I think we will lose an acc game this year, but it won't be versus Wake. We seem very determined and focused right now.

jv001
01-24-2009, 02:54 PM
5-0. That is Duke's record after the Maryland game. No other team in the ACC is undefeated in the conference. I have little optimism that we will run the table, but to be 5 games in and undefeated not only in our conference, but in our last 10 games, knowing who we played out of conference is pretty solid.
I think we will lose an acc game this year, but it won't be versus Wake. We seem very determined and focused right now.

I don't know what our overall record will be, how many conference games we lose or if we beat Wake next week, but I do know we will compete and we will play defense. Those two things should keep us in any game this year. Just enjoy it guys and gals. Go Duke!

Cameron
01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
This was a fun game. Not as fun as the game in Chapel Hill last February, but certainly right up there. As far as pure elation goes, that's the best I've felt watching this team the past two seasons. But today was great, too.

We really played in sink today and, aside from turning off the burners with about ten to play (which isn't necessarily an unsportsmanlike thing to do when you're up 44), we did it TWO HALVES today, something we haven't really done all season. We put two excellent halves together and finished this one off strong; we didn't bend the lead. Great to see.

When Jonny Threeball hit that fourth triple late in the game, and then Kyle and Gerald connected on airborne tosses, I felt like we were Duke again. Not that we have ever left or anything, but it was a good feeling. We are number one and everybody but us hates it:) Wednesday is going to be fun.

BlueHeaven
01-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I think we're the real deal this year and I can hardly contain myself! GTHC, GTH!

RelativeWays
01-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Ask me again in late February. We were better against a stronger ACC this time last year and we know how that ended. But today's game was fun.

CameronCrazy'11
01-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Ask me again in late February. We were better against a stronger ACC this time last year and we know how that ended. But today's game was fun.

How was the ACC stronger last year?

Duke and UNC are better than last year, and Wake and Clemson are far better than any non-Duke or UNC team was last year. The league is much stronger this year.

Not to mention, we're looking pretty good this year. What more would you have like this team to have produced so far?

COYS
01-24-2009, 06:48 PM

We went on more offensive binges last year, if that's what you mean. I also don't see how the ACC is weaker this year than it was last year. Our team is worlds better defensively this year . . . worlds better. And our offense is steadily getting better and is more equipped to handle a defensive struggle than it was last year. Just enjoy this win today.

jv001
01-24-2009, 06:48 PM
That everything is in the eyes of the beholder. This team is way better than last years team. We are better defensively, we rebound much better and we have atleast 3 guys we can go to. I agree that the league is better with Duke, unc, Wake, Fl St, Clemson, VT and Miami likely to make the NCAA tourney. Last year we had 4 if I remember correctly. So Go Duke!

Papa John
01-24-2009, 07:00 PM
That everything is in the eyes of the beholder. This team is way better than last years team. We are better defensively, we rebound much better and we have atleast 3 guys we can go to. I agree that the league is better with Duke, unc, Wake, Fl St, Clemson, VT and Miami likely to make the NCAA tourney. Last year we had 4 if I remember correctly. So Go Duke!

I'd say, yes--we're having lots of fun! It's been fun watching these guys grow!

I think the biggest differences this season are: (1) Gerald is emerging as a superstar-calibre player who can take over a game at will, and (2) our dominant player/warrior [Singler] is not a frosh anymore... Sprinkle in the savvy of Scheyer and Paulus, the athleticism of Nolan, the ample two-headed big man combo performance from Zoubek and Thomas, the defensive sparkplug McClure, and quality contributions from Plumlee and E-mail, and we are as scary as any team in the nation [yes, including the vaunted UNC Tarheels]...

Lord Ash
01-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Enjoying this a LOT, for a few reasons.

First off, the chemistry is really, really good. You can see that the guys trust each other.

Second, the load is very even. Sure Gerald and Jon and Kyle are doing a lot of work, but there is SO much being done by everyone else, and to be frank a TEAM is a lot more fun to get behind than a few stars.

Third, this was a bit unexpected. Now, everyone knew we would be good, but not this good.

Fourth, because we are still growing and developing. I think everyone would agree that this team hasn't come CLOSE to its peak.

Fifth, because our D is damn good, and damn good D doesn't go away. And we are rebounding!! Nothing makes you more proud than good D and rebounding.

Lastly, this team feels more complete than many, not only because it is very even and gets contributions from a lot of players, but also because it is not a "live by the 3 die by the 3" type of team. Lots of weapons, and lots of weapons is a lot of fun to watch because you don't feel like you are walking on eggshells.

We'll lose some more games for sure, but this team has been a lot of fun to watch.

jv001
01-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I'd say, yes--we're having lots of fun! It's been fun watching these guys grow!

I think the biggest differences this season are: (1) Gerald is emerging as a superstar-calibre player who can take over a game at will, and (2) our dominant player/warrior [Singler] is not a frosh anymore... Sprinkle in the savvy of Scheyer and Paulus, the athleticism of Nolan, the ample two-headed big man combo performance from Zoubek and Thomas, the defensive sparkplug McClure, and quality contributions from Plumlee and E-mail, and we are as scary as any team in the nation [yes, including the vaunted UNC Tarheels]...

I agree with everything you said but the last. I would have said yes, including the vomiting unc tarholes.

Jumbo
01-24-2009, 08:09 PM

But this is my point -- let's worry about tomorrow tomorrow and February in February. Right now, we should appreciate where we are. It's a very good place. It's been such a fun ride to get there.

mapei
01-24-2009, 08:15 PM
I think the emergence of Zoubek has been huge. Until this year, he's been a liability more often than not. Now, it is like a completely different, quicker and far more skilled player out there. We actually have a post presence.

throatybeard
01-24-2009, 08:21 PM
We really played in sink today

http://www.trendir.com/archives/kohler-8-degree-medium-kitchen-sink.jpg

DukeDevilDeb
01-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I think the emergence of Zoubek has been huge. Until this year, he's been a liability more often than not. Now, it is like a completely different, quicker and far more skilled player out there. We actually have a post presence.

Brian hasn't yet figured everything out, ;)... but he is one hell of a lot closer to that than he has been at any time since he's been here. He is playing with confidence, but I still think there is room to grow that. The fouls that plagued him earlier are down to one or two a game. He doesn't get called for traveling every time he catches the ball (though, come to think of it, the refs may have been calling all Hanstravel's travels on Brian! :D), and he is predictably making good shots. Had he played a few more minutes in the second half, he would have had his double double.

I also love watching Dave McClure. He is so steading, so good at reading where his man is going and what his man is going to do. The team forced him to shoot today when he got the ball with 2 seconds left, and he put it in! Teams are still going to lay off him, and I hope he can gather the courage to keep shooting. He's better offensively than he thinks he is!

Finally, it was really fascinating to watch Plumlee today. He was doing everything that Brian did two years ago... playing with lots of heart but making silly mistakes (like not holding on to the ball!). That should give us great optimism for his future!

Last night, for a little luck, I watched the Miracle Minute on You-Tube. Over the past couple of years, whenever I've watched the 1991, 1992, 1999, and 2001 teams play, I've moaned about how far we've fallen. Last night, as J-Will cast him magic in the last 54 seconds of regulation, I began to see that this team is beginning to resemble that one. If you get a chance, take a look at the overtime from that game. We didn't overpower Maryland with our great shooting in the overtime. In fact, we missed shots and free throws (Battier and Williams included). But almost every time we got the offensive rebound and were able to let our defense generate the offense. This team will do that too.

So, the answer to Jumbo's question is>>> Man, oh man, am I having FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Billy Dat
01-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Heck yes, I am enjoying this year. Truth is, I enjoy every year because rooting for Duke is a rewarding experience.

There are several pro teams that I root for quite passionately. Are they as consistently good as Duke year in and year out...no! Do they play as consistently hard as Duke....no!

For those two reasons alone, every Duke BBall year is enjoyable, because we always compete. It seems like such a simple thing, but it is one of the core defining characteristic of success.

That being said, this team is great to watch...we have plugged so many of the holes from the past few seasons...depth, inexperience, go-to scoring, defensive excellence, etc. I also see improvement in K, which is incredible. I really think the USA Basketball experience gave him the PhD that he says it did.

We've got a very tough stretch of games ahead of us, and the timing is perfect because we are playing great ball. Let's not expect perfection - let's just hope we continue to get after it the way we have been...that's enough, the rest will take care of itself.

DukeDevilDeb
01-24-2009, 08:30 PM

I've been wanting to correct "in sink" to "in sync" since I read it.. Jeez, I thought Duke fans knew how to spell four letter words better than that!

Cameron
01-24-2009, 09:03 PM
I must admit, that's not only embarrassing that I didn't catch that mistake (I usually watch my grammar very closely, almost to the point of eccentricity), but also a very funny comeback by throatybeard.

Thanks for adding insult to injury:)

Apparently, I was using drugs earlier.

I should also note that DukeDevilDeb never makes mistakes or mixes words when getting caught up in typing. Thanks for your perfection, DDD.

bird
01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
The game took me back to the days when I had season tickets and was much younger, and other than beating carolina the best fun was watching Duke kick teams when they were down! Just kick them again. And enjoy doing it.

duketaylor
01-25-2009, 12:14 AM
...when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? "Shhh, he's on a roll."
This team is having fun, too, and that's awesome to watch. I posted a couple of weeks ago that this defense was as good as any Duke team I've seen since....and I left it there, now I think it's as good or better than any I've watched since I started to follow the Devils closely in about '79. I loved the D played with Billy King and company, Shane and co., and Tommy Amaker, JD, D Henderson , Alarie, Bilas, etc. This D has improved a ton from last year because:
Nolan is simply a huge improvement as a defensive PG (sorry Greg), Zoubek has better body control (or the officials are calling things a little different) and McClure is just a complete nuisance to the other team when he's in, plus Lance's D is much better, too (less silly fouls as well). The quickness and anticipation is superb, but I think a lot of that starts with stopping the opposing PG from being able to drive, which Nolan does very well. We'll get an even better barometer in the next two weeks, referring to both Nolan and the D. Duke's held a couple of pretty/really good teams under 50 points, that's amazing, IMO.
This post is already long enough, I won't go into the offensive improvements, yet. But, I will say, with already having great D from Jon and Kyle, plus G's playing great D, that another big help is Kyle's not defending inside as much, and that is huge.

Papa John
01-25-2009, 06:22 AM
I agree with everything you said but the last. I would have said yes, including the vomiting unc tarholes.

Did I not type "vomiting unc tarholes"? My bad... Must've been a typo!

;)

camion
01-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Are we having fun yet? Ask Gerald (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De0L-2AfrKc).

buddy
01-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Actually, it looked like we were playing N'Sync.

DukeDevilDeb
01-25-2009, 10:11 AM
I must admit, that's not only embarrassing that I didn't catch that mistake (I usually watch my grammar very closely, almost to the point of eccentricity), but also a very funny comeback by throatybeard.

Thanks for adding insult to injury:)

Apparently, I was using drugs earlier.

I should also note that DukeDevilDeb never makes mistakes or mixes words when getting caught up in typing. Thanks for your perfection, DDD.

Thanks for the compliment. I'll let you in on my secrets: (1) 8 years of Latin during which I learned a great deal about grammar, sentence structure, and spelling; (2) a B.A. in English; and (most importantly) (3) using spell check on everything from e-mail to posts.

I'll tell you what, though... if I thought I could ever be part of a play like the 4-pass wonder at yesterday's Maryland game, I wood speel everrythinng rong! :D

GO DEVILS!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Actually, it looked like we were playing N'Sync.

Ha! This made me laugh.

I'll answer the main question with an emphatic YES! As the front page mentioned, our O is still suspect and I expect some losses down the line as a result. But the entire team seems to really enjoy playing together and feed off each other is a way that is just amazing to watch. I'm having a blast and, even better, so is the team. Win or lose going forward, this is already one of my favorite teams and I'm loving every second I get to cheer for them.